• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice. You seem to be charging right on through Morrison's Batman. So good.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the Batman and Robin Absolute edition eventually. Great stuff.
Did you decide to skip Final Crisis in your read-through of the ....

Yeah, I probably skipped a few things.

Batman & Son
The Black Glove
RIP
Batman and Robin vol 1, 2, 3
Batman Incorporated
Batman Incorporated Vol 1 and 2.

Just one more...

Screenshot_2013-10-02-14-43-47.png

CHRIST TIER

Batman & Son
The Black Glove
RIP
Batman Incorporated

I would definitely add "the Return of Bruce Wayne" to the list.

Final Crisis isn't mandatory- you can get the necessary information from Batman 702 and 703 but I forgot where those were collected.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I feel like we could post that panel on every page and it'd be relevant.

Haha--so true. They are, by far, my favorite Batman and Robin team. So much so that even a few panels with them, like in that issue, are enough to remind me how great their run together was, and how well developed Morrison's Batman is. Their bond survived a universal reboot, yo.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Batman & Son
The Black Glove
RIP
Batman Incorporated

You'll probably miss out on a few of the less important plot points since you skipped Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, Final Crisis, and Return of Bruce Wayne, but you got all the important stuff.

I'd recommend reading a wiki or something to get a summary of what happens in the stuff you missed if you haven't already done that. That's probably the best way to go about it anyways. Ra's al Ghul was definitely skippable besides the minor plot points that carry over into the rest of the series and Return of Bruce Wayne wasn't all that great either (and I don't know if anything even happens that is referred to elsewhere in the run). Final Crisis I did enjoy quite a bit, despite its infamous confusingness (especially for someone like me who hasn't read much DC stuff and doesn't know about the crazy space/universe situation), so even if you do just read the wiki of it now, it might be worth picking up sometime.

I would definitely add "the Return of Bruce Wayne" to the list.

Final Crisis isn't mandatory- you can get the necessary information from Batman 702 and 703 but I forgot where those were collected.

Ah yeah, that's this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401229905/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I knew there was an issue somewhere that included the bit of Final Crisis that was relevant to Batman. Good call, Crichton.

Return of Bruce Wayne sets up the last arc if batman and robin .

Final crisis is more exploring the themes he set up in his run. Final crisis is just amazing

I'm sure DC is working on some Morrison Batman Omnibus or something right now

and by right now, I mean in DC trade release time, so in 7-8 years

Kipp

Someone really needs to make those Morrison Batman trades uniform (and comprehensive) one day.

According to my quick calculations using the Amazon trade paperback page counts, his run is 2150 pages long. That's totally do-able in two omnibuses. Or four more practical oversized hardcover volumes. I'd totally buy those.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
According to my quick calculations using the Amazon trade paperback page counts, his run is 2150 pages long. That's totally do-able in two omnibuses. Or four more practical oversized hardcover volumes. I'd totally buy those.

Quitely Wrap-around art on the first, Burnham wrap-around art on the second and fucking sold!

They should split it into 3 books:

Batman run:
Batman & Son
Black Glove
Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul
Batman R.I.P.
content from Final Crisis & 52

Batman & Robin run:
B&R volume 1
Time and the Batman
The return of Bruce Wayne

Batman Inc run:
Batman:The Return
Batman Inc. Volume 1
Batman Inc. Volume 2

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Imagine a bro wandering into Books A Million to buy a Batman book after seeing The Dark Knight and he ends up trying to read Final Crisis as part of a hardcover.

Owzers

Just release an Deluxe OHC of Batman Inc vol 2 and i'm set. They should just keep the deluxe editions in print, maybe reprint them with a set cover logo, the world does not need more 1500 page omnibi.

VeeP

That Damian and Nightwing scene, did it also happen in another comic book besides Batman Inc.? Maybe in Batman and Nightwing?

zeeaykay

Did anyone read Eric Stephenson's address at the COMICSPRO conference? THIS is the stuff that gets me excited and proud to be a comic book reader. Couldn't agree with the guy more. An attitude like that is infectious and is exactly what the industry needs.

Don't get me wrong, I think that some super-hero comics are great, and I read my fair share, but I do think focusing on new, original content is what will get the readers in the door long term. It's what got me in the door.

http://comicsalliance.com/image-publisher-eric-stephenson-comicspro-transcript-speech-2014/

kswiston

I got a little confused reading Uncanny Avengers #16.
The thor battle with evil guy, did thor open a portal to muspelheim and that's what he used to burn the guy?

That or a portal into a star. I don't think it mattered beyond being a portal to somewhere super hot.

Speaking of Uncanny Avengers spoilers (don't read if you have not read issue 17)
I'm a bit disappointed that this entire story line is now something that will clearly be reverted via time travel. For a second back in December, it seemed like something major might have been going on.

Kipp

Quitely Wrap-around art on the first, Burnham wrap-around art on the second and fucking sold!

They should split it into 3 books:

Batman run:
Batman & Son
Black Glove
Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul
Batman R.I.P.
content from Final Crisis & 52

Batman & Robin run:
B&R volume 1
Time and the Batman
The return of Bruce Wayne

Batman Inc run:
Batman:The Return
Batman Inc. Volume 1
Batman Inc. Volume 2

Oh goodness yes to both of these ideas. It's all too perfect.
Except with three books, maybe do a Kubert wrap-around on the first, then the Quitely and Burnham.

Just release an Deluxe OHC of Batman Inc vol 2 and i'm set. They should just keep the deluxe editions in print, maybe reprint them with a set cover logo, the world does not need more 1500 page omnibi.

Yeah, they reeeeally need to put out that Deluxe OHC of Batman Inc vol 2 already. Or better yet, an Absolute edition. I'd be there day one. I love Burnham's art so much.

LosDaddie

Banned
Any other omnibus collectors here? Payday is Friday, and I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on that Annihilation and Infinity Gauntlet omnibus from CGN. I've never really read cosmic marvel, but I guess Annihilation will be a good place to start. That damn GotG trailer got me...dammit

I hope those 2 omnibus mean that we'll get and Annihilation Conquest and Infinity War omnibus soon (probably next year, if so). More Cosmic Marvel goodness to read.

Lots of reading coming up for me:
Uncanny Xforce omni
UXM vol 2 omni
Infinity + companion HCs (I hope it's good)

Kipp

Has anyone ever done a 52 reread? I still have all my issues.

Oh geez. I haven't read it yet, but I'm sort of tempted to buy the omnibus and I just checked the price on Amazon and two sellers have it listed new for $73. What do.

Owzers

dcbs updated for march!

:( it does seem like, over the months, 75% off specials are non-existent for books and they have been replaced by bundles for each companies new books that month. That's really disappointing as someone who does not buy every new book from each publisher.

KidDork

[
batgirl_zps7a12b9ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Just started reading the Birds of Prey: Clash of Daggers trade and OH MY GOD. I think I love Batgirl even more now.

I've never seen Wijaya's art before. Amazing stuff.

Toa TAK

Banned
[
batgirl_zps7a12b9ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Just started reading the Birds of Prey: Clash of Daggers trade and OH MY GOD. I think I love Batgirl even more now.

I've never seen Wijaya's art before. Amazing stuff.

Woah, that's awesome. Is that just cover art? Or is it like that inside as well?

Messi

Time to play dirty. This is for your own good, Messi.

Buy Green Arrow or I drop Harley Quinn.

Well I am sorry that you feel you need to drop my favourite book but I won't be held to ransom. You no you like Harley too much to drop it. Let's be real.

Woah, that's awesome. Is that just cover art? Or is it like that inside as well?

Interiors too, it's a great looking issue.

I don't know what to read after Power Girl Power Trip which has been excellent and will finish tonight. Up next is either Plantetary Omnibus or to start that Batman and Robins. Oh the decisions.

Back to Power Girl, I really loved this so far. Amanda Conners art is amazing. She is a really fun character by these writers. Has she been in anything else interesting?

Messi

I don't know what to read after Power Girl Power Trip which has been excellent and will finish tonight. Up next is either Plantetary Omnibus or to start that Batman and Robins. Oh the decisions.

Back to Power Girl, I really loved this so far. Amanda Conners art is amazing. She is a really fun character by these writers. Has she been in anything else interesting?

yeah,
my dreams :p

LosDaddie

Banned
Any of you ever had Amazon, not a 3rd party seller on the site, not fulfill a book order before?

Back in January I bought the Infinite Crisis omnibus from Amazon when they had it priced at $90, but their listing said the usual "Temp sold out...Order now and they'll ship it when available" for a sold out item. 2 months and no update on a shipping date. :(

I called them and they basically said they had no clue on a ship date. :( I have no idea why they'd have a book available for purchase for a few days, if they weren't getting any more in stock

Vyer

Starting Six Gun Gorilla tonight.

Also read the first couple of issues of Day Men. Not bad, certainly like the premise though I don't usually care for vampire stories.

ElNarez

Banned
First list of March, you guys
Action Comics #29
Batman Superman Annual #1
Detective Comics #29
Earth 2 #21
Forever Evil #6
Green Arrow #29
Swamp Thing #29
Trillium #7

Archer & Armstrong #18
Quantum & Woody: The Goat #0
Secret #6
Velvet #4

Captain America #18
Iron Man #22
Magneto #1
Moon Knight #1
Nova #14
Punisher #3
She-Hulk #2
Uncanny X-Men #18
Wolverine and the X-Men #1

-Already dropped New Warriors because #1 was so goddamn meh
-Wasn't gonna pick up Magneto but dang that preview did things pretty right
-I still like Iron Man fuck you

Owzers

I tend to buy the first issue of a few books and when the trades are up for pre-order, i read them and decide if i want to get it. This month for order:

Manifest Destiny
Umbral
Dead Boy Detectives
Drumhellar

Any thoughts on these books?

Kipp

I tend to buy the first issue of a few books and when the trades are up for pre-order, i read them and decide if i want to get it. This month for order:

Manifest Destiny
Umbral
Dead Boy Detectives
Drumhellar

All I know is that I really want Manifest Destiny to be good. I love the concept. It seems like great fun.

Filthy Slug

Manifest Destiny
Umbral
Dead Boy Detectives
Drumhellar

Nobody has spoken about Dead Boy Detectives in this thread but I have to say, the first issue is something special. There's a narrative trick in there that's so fucking cool, and there's some beautiful Buckingham art. It's severely underrated.

dcbs updated for march!

:( it does seem like, over the months, 75% off specials are non-existent for books and they have been replaced by bundles for each companies new books that month. That's really disappointing as someone who does not buy every new book from each publisher.
Never seen 75 percent off specials there. Fifty percent bundles suited for me though.

My Big Fat List

The Walking Dead vol 20 (Image)
Mercy Sparx vol 1 (Devil's Due)

Dark Horse
Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight #6 of 8 (Kill MTHRFKN e'ry one, Branwyn! Bring all of the death!)
Juice Squeezers #3 of 4
Veil #1 of 5

Darkness Vicious Traditions #1 one-shot (GET AT DAT KOT)
Velvet #4
Drumheller #5

Other
Trillium #7 of 8 (Vertigo/DC)
Wild Blue Yonder # 4 of 5 (Finally!- IDW)
She-Hulk #2 (Marvel)
Day Men #3 (Boom)
Evil Empire #1 (Boom)

Other pretty things happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom