• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This so much! I love his Jean!

tumblr_mkv3piMUHG1ra492ho1_250.png
tumblr_mkv3piMUHG1ra492ho2_250.png
tumblr_mkv3piMUHG1ra492ho3_250.png

tumblr_mkv3piMUHG1ra492ho4_250.png
tumblr_mkv3piMUHG1ra492ho5_250.png
tumblr_mkv3piMUHG1ra492ho6_250.png

tumblr_mkv3piMUHG1ra492ho7_250.png
tumblr_mkv3piMUHG1ra492ho8_250.png
tumblr_mkv3piMUHG1ra492ho9_250.png

Awesome collection of stills.

I guess the way people were freaking out over Spiderman all week bumped up the hype...
It feels like 700 again, like a waste of an issue. X-factor outwowed it!

Is that Fantastic Four? Not a huge fan of that team.

Future Foundation

It's Ant man, Medusa, She-Hulk and a singer with the kids Fantastic Four were teaching.

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Hey, where is a good jumping on point for 'Worlds Greatest'? I'd like to give Power Girl a chance.
Any and all innuendo is up to you to decide

Also, is there a recommended list for Spiderman back issues? I'm just going to go all out and taste as much of the rich comic world as I can.

Hey, where is a good jumping on point for 'Worlds Greatest'? I'd like to give Power Girl a chance.

Also, is there a recommended list for Spiderman back issues? I'm just going to go all out and taste as much of the rich comic world as I can.

If you are referring to Worlds' Finest, the current Power Girl book, I'd recommend picking up as much of the current run as you can. At the very least, the first trade (if it is out?). Barring that, issue #0 and issue #1 will tell you what you need to know about how Power Girl and Huntress got to Earth and how they met in this incarnation.

For previous Power Girl entries, her solo title just before the reboot was entertaining. The first 12 issues are highly regarded because of Amanda Connors lovely art. The following 13-27 are a little more divisive because of the art change (I personally love Sami Basri) and tonal shift. The Gray/Palmiotti/Connor run was just goofy fun. The rest was an attempt to be more serious.

If you want a team book version of her, the JLI: Generation Lost run has her. But be advised that as a team book she isn't the star character.

Aside from that, she is sort of all over the place. There is a "Power Girl" trade that picks up a smattering of issues from all over the place, from her silver age incarnation, to her "Atlantean Origin" version, to more recent takes. She is a complicated character mucked up by worlds existing and not. But she has sort of taken on a life of her own, to some fans, because of that enduring legacy.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah, that pre-nu52 Power Girl run is awesome. Especially the Palmiotti/Gray/Connor stuff. I do like the more serious follow up a lot too, awesome art.

Judd winck gets a lot of shit(deservedly so) but his power girl runs wasn't half bad.

he would ahve a been a fool to follow Conner/palmitti/grey style .

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
If you are referring to Worlds' Finest, the current Power Girl book, I'd recommend picking up as much of the current run as you can. At the very least, the first trade (if it is out?). Barring that, issue #0 and issue #1 will tell you what you need to know about how Power Girl and Huntress got to Earth and how they met in this incarnation.

For previous Power Girl entries, her solo title just before the reboot was entertaining. The first 12 issues are highly regarded because of Amanda Connors lovely art. The following 13-27 are a little more divisive because of the art change (I personally love Sami Basri) and tonal shift. The Gray/Palmiotti/Connor run was just goofy fun. The rest was an attempt to be more serious.

If you want a team book version of her, the JLI: Generation Lost run has her. But be advised that as a team book she isn't the star character.

Aside from that, she is sort of all over the place. There is a "Power Girl" trade that picks up a smattering of issues from all over the place, from her silver age incarnation, to her "Atlantean Origin" version, to more recent takes. She is a complicated character mucked up by worlds existing and not. But she has sort of taken on a life of her own, to some fans, because of that enduring legacy.

Awesome, Thank you. Yes, that was the one I meant, my apologies. I'll look into getting that one, or at least starting it.

snorggy

Um do you mean to say you're not a fan of a Fantastic 4 team that does not consist of the original 4?

Haha, I don't care for the characters individually, so when you combine them into a team I'm pretty apathetic. But hey, maybe I just haven't read the right stories?

Read the greatest comic book run of all time: Hickman's Fantastic Four.

Noted.

EDIT: Are Fantastic Four and FF sister books much like ANXM and Uncanny?

Haha, I don't care for the characters individually, so when you combine them into a team I'm pretty apathetic. But hey, maybe I just haven't read the right stories?

Then give FF a shot because it's a fantastic book that's a lot of fun. It's the better written Fraction FF book right now.

All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men have been my favorite comics as of late. There was something so satisfying about watching Emma and the Cuckoos lay a well deserved mental beat down on bitch Jean. And I can never get enough of Cyclops telling Wolverine, the Avenger and the rest of those hypocrites to STFU.

This Cyclops that no longer have any fucks to give, has been one the best things that's come out of Marvel in the last few years. Uncanny X-Men should be renamed into Cyclops and the Revolution.

But that juts the prince fan in me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

The best Power Girl stuff is everything from Palmiotti/Conner/Gray. The Power Girl TPB GrandHarrier mentioned is good if you just want to see how Power Girl was portrayed over the years, but apart from the story that Conner illustrated at the end (which isn't that great, but I love her art!), it's all throw-away material.

Get Terra (from the same creative team; Power Girl is all over it and Terra then appears in the PG series) and both Power Girl TPBs- Those are the best stories with the character IMO. Issues 13-26 of that series go in a completely different direction, undo some of the stuff set up in the first 12 issues (booooooooo!) and it falls apart when they bring back DC villain Maxwell Lord.

New 52 World's Finest is OK, but not as good as what was being done with the character before the reboot.

And if you don't mind something more raunchy, I'd recommend The Pro, also from the same creative team, which parodies the Justice League and is about a hooker who gets super powers.

All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men have been my favorite comics as of late. There was something so satisfying about watching Emma and the Cuckoos lay a well deserved mental beat down on bitch Jean. And I can never get enough of Cyclops telling Wolverine, the Avenger and the rest of those hypocrites to STFU.

This Cyclops that no longer have any fucks to give, has been one the best things that's come out of Marvel in the last few years. Uncanny X-Men should be renamed into Cyclops and the Revolution.

But that juts the prince fan in me.

The thing I found amusing was that even Teen Cyclops really doesn't have much respect for Wolverine either. I like that fact.

But yes, Cyclops has definitely really interesting now post AvX.

Noted.

yea but they don't really cross into each other like the X-men do.. I don't know if they will later

Wait are more of you joining #TeamCyclops? Jump on guys there is room for all of those that see the light.

We have our differences, but I've always been on #TeamCyke bro.

Again, he's gotten to be infinitely more interesting post AvX, at least for me and I always found him interesting.

Owzers

Noted.

Not really, Fantastic Four sets up the premise of the Fantastic Four family having a time hopping adventure and needing a team to fill their place during their trip, which they say will only take 2 minutes or something if there are no problems. There are problems. After that, FF and Fantastic Four do their own thing in each book. FF is one of my favorite books and Fantastic Four is possibly my least favorite of the things i read atm, and both are from Fraction.

Splatt

Fantastic 4 started slow and boring, but I thought the last few issues have been enjoyable.

One thing I really hate is how Fraction writes Thing. He's always shouting.

All he got was a wayward time travelling X-man, and his girlfriend's 3 clonish daughters.

The only ones that matter.

And those parting remarks!

Magneto: We all know the ramifications of what happened here. But you brought this on your self McCoy!

Cyclops: You really did.

Cycs and Mags putting fools in their place.

All he got was a wayward time travelling X-man, and his girlfriend's 3 clonish daughters.
that's one of the things that bugged me. Logan loses four of his students to Scott, and his only reaction is "on the bright side, at least we got rid of the creepy triplets." It seemed too flippant to me, for a headmaster of a school who takes a lot of what happens with his students personally in other books. He's about to possibly lose more students in WatXM, and I doubt he'll have such an ."oh well" attitude about it there. It seemed rather callous, when he's supposed to be about fighting for his kids now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom