• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
First everyone says the new Nightwing is great and then Jedeye says it sucks.

Then everyone says the latest issue of GotG is horrible and Dalek says it's great.

Stop having different opinions, guys.

Edit: Dammit, Ecoshifting! So beaten.

Well you kinda know that I have a low tolerance for bad comics but get this (not really spoilers since it's all in the solicits) -
Dick nearly died, right? So Batman has an idea - send Dick out as a secret agent, tell the world he's dead. All in all, not a bad idea really. But to get to this point, they have a fight. Possibly the bloodiest, most violent fight I've seen non-Superpowered characters have for quite some time. There are 30 foot falls, there is massive head trauma, there's being kicked through glass. And all the while, they having a conversation. A conversation that, if the team had just had them TALK, could have been very dramatic and heartfelt. But instead, it was all mixed in with this crazy violence, and halfway through all I can think of "where are they finding time to say all of this??". And then, massive trauma sustained, it's all ok.

The comic wasn't necessarily bad, the art was pretty good for sure (that blimp page!) but there was a cowardice to the storytelling, like it wasn't confident for the drama alone to carry it so we need the punchy punchy. It was extreme. And very homo erotic. If it was ten pages of the two violently buggering each other I think it would have been less dumb.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Well you kinda know that I have a low tolerance for bad comics but get this (not really spoilers since it's all in the solicits) -
Dick nearly died, right? So Batman has an idea - send Dick out as a secret agent, tell the world he's dead. All in all, not a bad idea really. But to get to this point, they have a fight. Possibly the bloodiest, most violent fight I've seen non-Superpowered characters have for quite some time. There are 30 foot falls, there is massive head trauma, there's being kicked through glass. And all the while, they having a conversation. A conversation that, if the team had just had them TALK, could have been very dramatic and heartfelt. But instead, it was all mixed in with this crazy violence, and halfway through all I can think of "where are they finding time to say all of this??". And then, massive trauma sustained, it's all ok.

The comic wasn't necessarily bad, the art was pretty good for sure (that blimp page!) but there was a cowardice to the storytelling, like it wasn't confident for the drama alone to carry it so we need the punchy punchy. It was extreme. And very homo erotic. If it was ten pages of the two violently buggering each other I think it would have been less dumb.

SOLD.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Yeah, that does sound pretty ridiculous and I definitely agree that comics could do with more heartfelt moments.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Start reading Avengers 30. So, they're in the sky? How are cap, Hawkeye and Widow not falling very quickly? How are they managing to have a conversation in mid air?

Seriously comics, sort your shit out. This kind of disregard for space, gravity and time really needs to stop. It pulls me right out of the story. Have them land, THEN talk.

I can't speak for anything past the first page but I can say comics in general need more insane first pages like that one.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I can't speak for anything past the first page but I can say comics in general need more insane first pages like that one.

Yeah that was good. Oh another thing though, the black woman in that first section - would it have killed the artist to give her a button? As soon as I saw her I thought "well, those are falling out"

Finished up Avengers. Typical Hickman handwaving oooo future stuff. That Yu can draw the crap out of a future city though. I wonder where it's going? I also wonder if it's the same future-continuity as that issue of F4 he did towards the end of the run.

headshot95

Neo Member
Does anybody know if the new Iron Patriot is going to be an on-going or is it just going to be a mini story? I have enjoyed it so far but I get a feeling that it's only going to be six issues or something like that.

Not even the mighty Greg Pak and Charles Soule could eventually stop Scott Lobdell from turning in a shitty script. Superman 31 was not good. It has some cool moments but Lobdells inner monologues do not portray any of the characters correctly and really take you out of the immersion.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Not even the mighty Greg Pak and Charles Soule could eventually stop Scott Lobdell from turning in a shitty script. Superman 31 was not good. It has some cool moments but Lobdells inner monologues do not portray any of the characters correctly and really take you out of the immersion.

Ah, forgot to pick that up. Do you mind spoiling the plot elements to save me a couple of quid?

Just read Batman Eternal, was not awful. Guillem march is really channelling elder Kubert with his shading these days, feels like it's mixed in with something a bit more angular and cartoony like Rick Burchett or something. Lovely stuff. Tbh, even though the plot is fairly standard (and the police strand is just annoying at this point), if they keep the art as high as it is then it's still worth a buy.

Does anybody know if the new Iron Patriot is going to be an on-going or is it just going to be a mini story? I have enjoyed it so far but I get a feeling that it's only going to be six issues or something like that.

It's a mini. They were intentionally vague at first in case it took off, but it didn't.

FeD.nL

4sT765p.jpg

Finally in my possesion. Now off to read the last few issues of Uncanny X-force and then I will begin with this beauty. The Omnibus is indeed something quality wise!

ElNarez

Banned
It's a mini. They were intentionally vague at first in case it took off, but it didn't.

Which is a fucking shame because it's fucking great. Like, I did not see the fact
it's becoming a comic about assassinating George W. Bush
coming because of how fucking ballsy it is for a big corporate comic to be this outright political and I am kinda all about that.

An other thing I am all about: Mighty Avengers #10. It speaks my language, and my language is SKULLS.

Zombine

Banned
Finally in my possesion. Now off to read the last few issues of Uncanny X-force and then I will begin with this beauty. The Omnibus is indeed something quality wise!

Enjoy the greatest X story ever told.

Edit:

So there's a hole in my heart today. I forgot to stop by the shop to buy my books and now they are closed. First Wednesday I've missed in a year.

tim1138

Well that sounds ridiculous
lyrics awesome

Ah, forgot to pick that up. Do you mind spoiling the plot elements to save me a couple of quid?

Just read Batman Eternal, was not awful. Guillem march is really channelling elder Kubert with his shading these days, feels like it's mixed in with something a bit more angular and cartoony like Rick Burchett or something. Lovely stuff. Tbh, even though the plot is fairly standard (and the police strand is just annoying at this point), if they keep the art as high as it is then it's still worth a buy.

Superman is locked up. Ask Luthor is the disease is killing him. Luthor says no, but he is pretty much turning into Doomsday. Batman, Cyborg, Ray Palmer, Luthor, and Dr. Veritas all in a lab trying to figure things out. Louis Lane shows up and WW meets her outside. Louis is here to talk to Supes at his request. Supes wants Louis to tell the world that he can never be trusted again. Then whatever is inside Louis reveals herself to Supes conscious? and tells him he he is pathetic and that Earth will soon not exist how he knows it, whatever that means. She then reveals the Teen Titans and tells him to show the world what a nightmare he has become. Supes breaks out. Next scene is the Titans fighting some robot in the streets of St. Louis. Supes flys in and helps them beat it. Tim Drake says something is wrong with Superman. He then flys away and his inner monologue says everything is wrong with Superman

Then there is a picture of Scott Lobdells face smiling at the bottom of the page with the caption "Gotcha Bitch!"

Starting my Uncanny Avengers run. This should be good!

I just read through the first two volumes the other day, it's so good. If you're not feeling the first arc at least give the the second one a shot since it is a huge improvement in basically every way.

Now I need to buy the third trade lol

I didn't even think the first arc of UA was that bad, honestly. I'd go to bat for pretty much everything there except the U-Foes or whatever the hell they were called. That last splash page.

Cheska

The X-Men Legacy you guys are always talking about is the Spurrier version right? Volume 2? Was thinking of picking that up instead of Thunderbolts.

ElNarez

Banned
The X-Men Legacy you guys are always talking about is the Spurrier version right? Volume 2? Was thinking of picking that up instead of Thunderbolts.

Yes and yes.

Also: Man, if you thought the Dead Presidents arc of Deadpool was Bad Wacky, don't read Deadpool #29, because it's the baddest, wackiest issue of the run so far. It's pretty bad, and it's not helped by John Lucas' completely amateur hour pencils. I'm calling it : this is the worst issue of the run so far.

Dalek

I didn't even think the first arc of UA was that bad, honestly. I'd go to bat for pretty much everything there except the U-Foes or whatever the hell they were called. That last splash page.

I concur-it's fun. I think it probably reads better in a quick read as opposed to a monthly wait between issues. The only thing that stands out as bad to me was Havok's public speech about the M word.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I didn't get that last splash page at all but it seemed ominous. Remender is play the opposite to DC's game lately, digging up so much old continuity. I have no idea what it is. I feel like a ten year old again, it's awesome.

Yeah. As I said earlier, I thought it was really good and I'm really happy I read it. A bit too circuitously wordy at times and some terrible art but it had real heart and character.

Yep, there's four volumes:
Prodigal
Invasive Exotics
Revenants
For We Are Many

Definitely try the first one at least. It took a few issues to click with me, but I ended up loving it.

Avengers kind of fucked with my head
did Old Hawkguy tell Tony he had messed up last time by not going back to correct what had happened or was he lying and just making sure Tony was where he needed to be?

For the 2 people out there reading Invaders and FF, I recommend reading the former before the latter.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yep, there's four volumes:
Prodigal
Invasive Exotics
Revenants
For We Are Many

Definitely try the first one at least. It took a few issues to click with me, but I ended up loving it.

SPOILERS for the last issue -
was it just me, or was the Weaver (the big spider monster in David's head) actually his first person narration all along? I liked how ambiguous it was, but I read it as if the Weaver was the REAL David and that the headspace version we'd been reading about and that was merging with everyone was actually 'the other', the personification of his illness? I guess my interpretation falls apart under scrutiny but it was a thrilling idea at the time.

did Old Hawkguy tell Tony he had messed up last time by not going back to correct what had happened or was he lying and just making sure Tony was where he needed to be?

For the 2 people out there reading Invaders and FF, I recommend reading the former before the latter.

I kind of want to since Winter Soldier was sooooo good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yeah me too, hopefully it will become clearer.
Also, what did Clint mean when he said that to was as far as he went. Did cap just get shot forward again by himself? Did Clint and co go back to the present or are they stuck in the +48 timeline?

Hickmaaaaaaaaaan!

Yeah me too, hopefully it will become clearer.
Also, what did Clint mean when he said that to was as far as he went. Did cap just get shot forward again by himself? Did Clint and co go back to the present or are they stuck in the +48 timeline?

Hickmaaaaaaaaaan!

I LOVED that
Cap "Wait. What?"

zeeaykay

Deadly Class. Right up there with Zero for me when it comes to expertly told comics. This month, Deadly Class won out... Velvet and Zero a close second. Haven't read southern Bastards yet, I can holy hope it's half as good as those three this month.

Disliked that. Liked the last few pages of Dick doing his thing.

Future's End is about everything that's decent about the New 52 turning to shit. I think I almost hate the comic.

So, which are the best Infinity tie-ins? I have found on my journey through the last decade or so of Marvel events that bad, mediocre, even sorta-good tie-ins can drag the whole reading experience down when integrated into the reading order. I am tempted to just go with the main event, Avengers, and New Avengers and just read the other tie-ins as I come across them. Am I missing anything really special if I do that?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So, which are the best Infinity tie-ins? I have found on my journey through the last decade or so of Marvel events that bad, mediocre, even sorta-good tie-ins can drag the whole reading experience down when integrated into the reading order. I am tempted to just go with the main event, Avengers, and New Avengers and just read the other tie-ins as I come across them. Am I missing anything really special if I do that?

I'm a purist, but I only really consider books by the author to be canon to an event. infinity, Avengers and New Avengers is a great, tight story. IMO anything else is just fluff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom