• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, which are the best Infinity tie-ins? I have found on my journey through the last decade or so of Marvel events that bad, mediocre, even sorta-good tie-ins can drag the whole reading experience down when integrated into the reading order. I am tempted to just go with the main event, Avengers, and New Avengers and just read the other tie-ins as I come across them. Am I missing anything really special if I do that?

The one that I really liked was the Wolverine and the X-Men Annual, but it won't have as much impact if you didn't read the series.

I'm a purist, but I only really consider books by the author to be canon to an event. infinity, Avengers and New Avengers is a great, tight story. IMO anything else is just fluff.

I completely agree with this.

So, which are the best Infinity tie-ins? I have found on my journey through the last decade or so of Marvel events that bad, mediocre, even sorta-good tie-ins can drag the whole reading experience down when integrated into the reading order. I am tempted to just go with the main event, Avengers, and New Avengers and just read the other tie-ins as I come across them. Am I missing anything really special if I do that?
Nope. Infinity, Avengers, New Avengers.

Messi

Korupt, did you finish season 2 of Arrow?

--

Oh and this is the first month Harley Quinn is not in my top 3. Really didn't dig this months issue. Too many better comics this go round.

--

Who wouldn't buy an ongoing based off this? Dc make is so. Please.

APR140195D.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Oh and this is the first month Harley Quinn is not in my top 3. Really didn't dig this months issue. Too many better comics this go round.

It wasn't in my top 3 but it was definitely up there. I think the fun art alone keeps it in my top 10.

Velvet was the best book of the month and may be the best comic ever.

Messi

It wasn't in my top 3 but it was definitely up there. I think the fun art alone keeps it in my top 10.

For me this month Harley was a wet fart ending to a side story that I had little or no investment in. Glad it's over with and we can move on. Seriously can't wait for issue #7 with
poision ivy returning
. I am much more interested in the assassin storyline. It did show that deep down Harley is a nice person who is usually just trying to make people happy. The same quality that Joker uses to exploit her. Problem being she doesn't know the limits of the law and is slightly insane.

Zombine

Banned
For me this month Harley was a wet fart ending to a side story that I had little or no investment in. Glad it's over with and we can move on. Seriously can't wait for issue #7 with
poision ivy returning
. I am much more interested in the assassin storyline. It did show that deep down Harley is a nice person who is usually trying to make people happy. Problem being she doesn't know the limits of the law and is slightly insane.

Oh god that next issue. I don't know if I can contain myself. Isn't she double shipping soon? I know we're going to get two issues in one of the "J" months.

As I flip the last page of Deadly Class #5, I wonder, if the quality will ever let up. I mean, that was the most impressive 5 issue run (standard size arc) of any comic I have ever read.

It is amazing.

Messi

Oh god that next issue. I don't know if I can contain myself. Isn't she double shipping soon? I know we're going to get two issues in one of the "J" months.

July is a regular issue and the Amanda Conner drawn Harley goes to comic con one shot. August is two regular issues. :d

Zombine

Banned
July is a regular issue and the Amanda Conner drawn Harley goes to comic con one shot. August is two regular issues. :d

God I can't wait for that comic con issue. Amanda Conner is badass. Everyone needs to read Power Girl like right now.

So I bought a month of Marvel Unlimited and it's pretty awesome to have such a large archive to read whenever I want too. The only complaints I have are the same as most people, downloading books for offline reading doesn't always work and some titles have annoying gaps. Probably going to do a lot of reading before I decide if I want to buy a year sub.

Vibranium

Banned

Truth. And Eisner snobs didn't even give Brubaker or Epting a single look, there should have been way more outrage about how Velvet wasn't nominated. Amazing, can't wait for the next arc!

Zombine

Banned
Truth. And Eisner snobs didn't even give Brubaker or Epting a single look, there should have been way more outrage about how Velvet wasn't nominated. Amazing, can't wait for the next arc!

It's Brubaker's best book and probably his most accessible and well written crime novel. Velvet makes James Bond look like a bum. If it continues to be this perfect I don't know how the Eisner crew won't take notice. Reading Saga after reading this book is like reading Ulysses then having to go read Good Night Moon.

Vibranium

Banned
It's Brubaker's best book and probably his most accessible and well written crime novel. Velvet makes James Bond look like a bum. If it continues to be this perfect I don't know how the Eisner crew won't take notice. Reading Saga after reading this book is like reading Ulysses then having to go read Good Night Moon.

Haha yep, Saga is nice but I'm waiting in trades for that one. Velvet is the comic where I need every new issue as soon as possible, plus she has an awesome design for a middle-aged woman. And you're right, it's Bru's best book.

I would love it if he got to make his own spy TV show....

Bet you were super excited by some of those fights in the finale. So good. Just madness.

Manu Bennett is the perfect Slade.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Yes, Manu is awesome at the character. Just worry that Manu will move on to bigger things and they won't be able to bring him back.

Cheska

After reading both C.O.W.L and Trees I think I'd have to hand it to Trees for impressing me a tad bit more. I loved the art in C.O.W.L but I felt more intrigued by the background and revolving story in Trees.

Maybe it's because C.O.W.L. left me pretty confused, though I can see it becoming more intriguing as it goes.

Zombine

Banned
Are we gonna fight again? We told Cheska we wouldn't fight.

Hey man Saga is awesome and you're awesome so everything is pretty awesome.

Velvet is just my Molly. If I read that book one more time I'm going to post a nonsense thread like that McDonalds dude that was tripping this morning.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just saw a cover for a X-Force comic with Storm, Psylocke and... Spiral? o_O

Is she back (and as a hero no less)?

Zombine

Banned
I'm technically going to say that Moon Knight shipped bi weekly this month because the next issue is out the first week of June. They are literally pushing Warren Ellis out the door.

Messi

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Yes, Manu is awesome at the character. Just worry that Manu will move on to bigger things and they won't be able to bring him back.

I think Manu had much more chance of leaving a show when he was Crixus in Spartacus but he didn't leave. Seems to stay in shows as long as he has a bigish part.

You just know he isn't staying in the hole.

Oh and I got excited for nothing when diggle was freeing prisoners to help him stop Waller. :(

frye

I thought COWL was a mess on a first read through. My eyes started glazing over the words after a few pages in and the art goes from what's maybe the best Billy the Sink impression EVER to some basic ass Phil Noto shit.

Thanos Annual was pretty good. I enjoyed all the dialogue and it reminded me why I love Thanos so much. Dude's probably my favorite Marvel villain. How was that recent Thanos Rising series?

Also grabbed the TMNT anniversary issue while I was at the shop today and briefly flipped through it. Really excited to read through that and I really have to catch up on the current series.

Warren Ellis is the Joe Mad of Writing. Can't be bothered to see a project through to the end.

I dropped Moon Knight on the principle that a well know writer made me decide to try the book in which I grew invested to and once invested, they decide to leave. With that and the knowledge that each issue has simply been a call back to older Moon Knight issues just put me off.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I dropped Moon Knight on the principle that a well know writer made me decide to try the book in which I grew invested to and once invested, they decide to leave. With that and the knowledge that each issue has simply been a call back to older Moon Knight issues just put me off.

Why, though. Good comics are good comics regardless of the circumstances surrounding their release. Especially if the circumstance is just that a writer is going to be gone after x amount of issues. If anything, Ellis has been smart about it by making each issue a standalone, and not part of some overblown arc that he'll never finish.

Messi

He is leaving Moon Knight? Glad I dropped it after the second issue then.

I'll take all the Ellis Marvel I can get. He always has an interesting take on a character or group of characters...no, it never lasts, and that sucks, but it's always magic for as long as it lasts. He "gets" Marvel books in a way many other writers never will.

Zombine

Banned
The main Marvel offender people should drop is Ghost Rider. The art is fantastic but the story is inexcusable. It's offensively @$?$!& bad, homies.

He is leaving Moon Knight? Glad I dropped it after the second issue then.

You're telling me you weren't pleased with spending a premium on an issue that was mostly blank pages? Ellis wanted you to use your imagination.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Warren Ellis is the Joe Mad of Writing. Can't be bothered to see a project through to the end.

He's simply not interested in long-term Marvel projects. He's certainly upfront and anything but coy about it.

CBR News: Warren, after a quiet couple years for you with comic books in general, the past few months have seen multiple Marvel releases -- the "Avengers: Endless Wartime" OGN, co-writing "Avengers Assemble" with Kelly Sue DeConnick and now "Moon Knight," your first monthly series launch at the publisher in years. What's motivated shifting part of your focus back to work-for-hire comics? And since your recent Marvel works have all been finite projects, are you potentially considering a more long-term run on "Moon Knight"?

Warren Ellis: I was pretty much done with my end of "Endless Wartime" about a year ago, I think. And I'm wrapping up the script for "Moon Knight" #4 this week. I like to do a gig for Marvel once a year or so, and this fits right in with that. My end of "Avengers Assemble" has been minimal, just doing development and breakdowns for Kel, so it doesn't really count: that book is still very strongly Kelly Sue, and my part of that is just carpentry.

So it's not a case of shifting focus. I like to keep my relationship with Marvel alive, and this is this year's gig. All my Marvel work is finite. I honestly haven't decided how long I'll stay on the book yet.

Books of the week.

DC - Batman 31
Marvel - Uncanny Avengers 20
Indie - Deadly Class 5
I don't want to be the guy who votes for only books coming out during the last week. But this week (those three books specially) is making a really strong case.
I'll reread some of the best of the last couple of weeks during the next days if any of them stand a chance.

ElNarez

Banned
I just realized why Land's art looks so good in Mighty Avengers #10. Frank D'Armata's coloring instead of Guru eFX. Land looks so much fucking better when not colored by the actual worst colorist in comics.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's just bland story-wise. Also yeah too much censored swearing

Bland implies that there's actual writing/storytelling to be found--Brian Buchawhateverthefuck is bland. The guy attempting to write Ghost Rider is a jackass muddying up great art.

Sanjuro

Thanos Annual was pretty good. I enjoyed all the dialogue and it reminded me why I love Thanos so much. Dude's probably my favorite Marvel villain. How was that recent Thanos Rising series?

Also grabbed the TMNT anniversary issue while I was at the shop today and briefly flipped through it. Really excited to read through that and I really have to catch up on the current series.

It's nice to have, but as probably the biggest TMNT fan on here a bit disappointed in the content. IDW goes between great re-releases of hard to find material and cash-ins pretty frequently.

ElNarez

Banned
It's just bland story-wise. Also yeah too much censored swearing

I dunno, I feel like it's paced exactly like a manga, which fits with Felipe Smith's background. There's not a lot happening in each issue, but the things that happen happen in big elaborate ways which gives opportunities for Tradd Moore to just run wild, which is exactly what I signed up for.

Bland implies that there's actual writing/storytelling to be found--Brian Buchawhateverthefuck is bland. The guy attempting to write Ghost Rider is a jackass muddying up great art.

yeah I mean it's super power drug shit and it's like whatever sure it's generic but just have the car chases and people getting incinerated and we good

Booch, doesn't he co-write with Manapul? I'd be hard pressed to remember exactly what the story in Detective Comics is, but it's still my favorite DC book that i read
I dunno, I feel like it's paced exactly like a manga, which fits with Felipe Smith's background. There's not a lot happening in each issue, but the things that happen happen in big elaborate ways which gives opportunities for Tradd Moore to just run wild, which is exactly what I signed up for.
Yeah that actually makes sense. Manga pacing is tough for $4 western books though. I'll probably keep on it but it's not exactly the highest priority of my pulls

Why, though. Good comics are good comics regardless of the circumstances surrounding their release. Especially if the circumstance is just that a writer is going to be gone after x amount of issues. If anything, Ellis has been smart about it by making each issue a standalone, and not part of some overblown arc that he'll never finish.

It's like taking a gorgeous woman out on a few dates. Paying for everything and really being into her, only to find out that she is not really into you or she is just using you for free stuff. Now she doesn't come out and say it but that's how you feel. You can continue to take her out and question your instincts or you can cut ties with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom