• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord | State of Play Reveal Trailer

Little Mac

I don't want to pile on and say this game is trash ... but it definitely isn't going to pull me away from Helldivers 2, or even my backlog on Sony first party titles I need to experience.

Humm, nothing they have shown looks very interesting at all unfortunately. Don't think I'll even bother downloading if it's free, but the helldivers didn't look that good prerelease and I ended up liking that for a couple of months at least.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The dogpiling of this game is ridiculous. Not saying the game looks amazing, but damn. At least see how the beta turns out.

Everybody dog-piled onto Suicide Squad... and they were absolutely right to. This game has all the same hallmarks, and is getting the same treatment. You can't expect the audience to give a pass to yet another game that has all the same boring, tired tropes again.

FewRope

Holy shit you were not kidding, the comments section on the 2nd video in this thread is pure massacre, 2K likes with 11K dislikes - Not a single positive comment whatsoever 🤣🤣

Fookin' Sony man, this is MS-levels of tone deafness on par with something like Redfall - and it's not necessarily about being a live service game either, it's just that it looks SO generic and SO cliche' and boring that it boggles the mind , it's literally Guardians of the Galaxy x Owerwatch x Destiny but even more bland and ugly being literally almost a decade late...

Who the fuck thought that this was a good idea (or, buying the whole studio even) I'll never understand, this is some truly abhorrent shit, I'm getting Suicide squad vibes here (bomba/flop), hope that they're paying attention to people's responses...

G'damn, what a tone-deaf move by Sony, shit's inexcusable
They wont, they already made the investment and corpos are that stupid to keep trying the same thing over and over again

Everybody dog-piled onto Suicide Squad... and they were absolutely right to. This game has all the same hallmarks, and is getting the same treatment. You can't expect the audience to give a pass to yet another game that has all the same boring, tired tropes again.

Yeah SC was crap, but I would be absolutely surprised if this has the same 60 meta that SC does.

T-0800

Too late to stop now and the beta will be out soon and we can all try it. Would be hilarious if we are all wrong.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I heard if you bitch enough about the game, they will actually pay you. So keep going, you are almost there.

Its not, preorders start June 6th.
It might have a hard time getting a foothold if they charge much for it, maybe I am just old and very wrong on this

VulcanRaven

The cinematic trailer was great and I started to like the characters but then it was revealed to be an online shooter. I had forgotten that if it was told last year.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Oh christ I just realised what this reminded me of.

vDnZ8dg.jpeg

Remember this shit? I'm laughing at the fact the big founders edition is advertised as having an exclusive black woman... who is this for?

Kupfer

Tired But First Coffee GIF by BARMER

More of the same GaaS standard mash.

I wonder who is supposed to play all this? The Marvel Game was exactly the same with different skins

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
WTF is the robot he/him? Shouldn’t it be it? Or is there a guy stuck inside the robot?

Remember folks, in 2024 robots have feeling now, don’t misgender he/him.

Oh bro, gearbox is ahead of you. Back when borderlands 3 released, the robot was declared non binary by gearbox and they went so far as to warn people not to misgender “them”.

Last edited:

mortal

Before Helldivers 2 came out, I don't see why not. It's more likely Sony didn't want to acquire them because they didn't see Helldivers as a IP that could be heavily monetized.
Did they actually express any desire to be acquired though?

This is sonys bleeding edge for sure.

Helldivers 2 hit. It was fresh and original. This is everything wrong with focus grouped gaming. Not an original thought in the entire thing.

DOA.
Helldivers was fresh and original 2015. Enough people did notice to get a sequel but the success was a bit more niche than it probably deserved. (maybe similar to Rocket League and its direct predecessor with that name that is convoluted af and i'm too lazy to search for rn)
Hero shooters were fresh and original for me 2007 with TF2, even though the genre existed before and the rest of mainstream only caught up almost a decade later.
Guardians of the Galaxy got mainstream success 2014, with the movie, I suppose, but again mainstream caught up much later to notice its existence in different media.

Sony might be too late for all of that, if fresh and new is important, which kinda never was...

Nevertheless I am not really seeing how it is as bad as Suicide Squad, I am genuinely not even seeing how SS is as bad as people make it out to be. Or how Fortnite, Overwatch, Apex or whatever are better. Would need to play any of them to be a better judge. But as I said the genre was interesting for me only once, almost 2 decades ago. Just based on the gameplay I've seen yesterday it looked somewhat better than this Marvel Rivals thing, which might have more beloved (or more Marvel oversaturated ie hated) characters, but a different style of gameplay. I'll try either, when free in Plus or anyway f2p, I did not love but actually liked Foamstars, but unless I don't read that it is also recommended for SP people, I don't care much for all of these games.

Mowcno

Imagine making a 5v5 hero shooter like everyone else.

For it's genre it looks very good but it's a completely saturated one. Everyone and their mother is making hero shooters right now, it wasn't even the only one in the state of play lmao.

Should have been a sci-fi tdm game or arena shooter. Heck even if they kept it as a hero shooter if it's was 8v8 or 10v10 instead that would have helped it standout a bit.

Did they actually express any desire to be acquired though?
No, Arrowhead has seemingly always wanted to be independent. Playstation literally worked with them for 7+ years on HD2 and doubled their budget midway through. No way in hell did Playstation not try to acquire them at some point, given how much they invested in building them up as a studio. It's a 2 way street tho, Arrowhead has to want to be acquired. Just the other week, the head of the studio said they want to be the next Blizzard. It was never on the table. Good on Arrowhead for believing in themselves. I think keeping them independent will just make HD2 a better product in the end

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Nevertheless I am not really seeing how it is as bad as Suicide Squad, I am genuinely not even seeing how SS is as bad as people make it out to be.

Well to be fair look at it this way, Suicide Squad is bad, it's bad because it's not a niche title, it's a heavily advertised title from a well respected studio with a huge budget behind it.

It got into the hands people, people played it, it's not some unknown gem that failed to advertise.

And yet despite all that, despite being a live service game within its first year it has these numbers currently..

rMjMXND.jpeg

No one is playing it, if it was any good, if it had some sort of value to a player, people would be playing it. They are not, so the game IS that bad.

Reckheim

if they want to go up against overwatch, this thing can't be more then $20. it'll be dead on arrival possibly even if its that cheap.

is the beta available for everyone?

Well to be fair look at it this way, Suicide Squad is bad, it's bad because it's not a niche title, it's a heavily advertised title from a well respected studio with a huge budget behind it.

It got into the hands people, people played it, it's not some unknown gem that failed to advertise.

And yet despite all that, despite being a live service game within its first year it has these numbers currently..

rMjMXND.jpeg

No one is playing it, if it was any good, if it had some sort of value to a player, people would be playing it. They are not, so the game IS that bad.
Suicide Squad is bad because the developers had no idea what they wanted it to be. The game was in development hell for years. It's pretty clear it started off as a single player game and somewhere down the line WB pressured Rocksteady into it being a GAAS game. Rocksteady had no previous experience with multiplayer games either

You can dislike the type of game Concord is, but it is readily apparent the developers had a single vision of what the should be. It's not similar at all to SS

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Suicide Squad is bad because the developers had no idea what they wanted it to be. The game was in development hell for years. It's pretty clear it started off as a single player game and somewhere down the line WB pressured Rocksteady into it being a GAAS game. Rocksteady had no previous experience with multiplayer games either

You can dislike the type of game Concord is, but it is readily apparent the developers had a single vision of what the should be. It's not similar at all to SS

To he fair your right, Suicide Squad included a playable strait white guy, Concord never will, guarantee the dude is non-binary.

I would argue both games are similair in that they are entering a market where no one asked for more. Unless they do something different like easily ernable ingame currency and premium skins that cost $2 it's dead on arrival. (Helldivers level of player reward)

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Oh christ I just realised what this reminded me of.

vDnZ8dg.jpeg

Remember this shit? I'm laughing at the fact the big founders edition is advertised as having an exclusive black woman... who is this for?

Concord is on a more popular console and published by a more reputable company; It will do much better than Bleeding Edge, but it won't move any needle Sony wants it to. Plus, I find Bleeding Edge and Battleborn character design to be even worse than Concord.

GHG

Holy shit you were not kidding, the comments section on the 2nd video in this thread is pure massacre, 2K likes with 11K dislikes - Not a single positive comment whatsoever 🤣🤣

Fookin' Sony man, this is MS-levels of tone deafness on par with something like Redfall - and it's not necessarily about being a live service game either, it's just that it looks SO generic and SO cliche' and boring that it boggles the mind , it's literally Guardians of the Galaxy x Owerwatch x Destiny but even more bland and ugly being literally almost a decade late...

Who the fuck thought that this was a good idea (or, buying the whole studio even) I'll never understand, this is some truly abhorrent shit, I'm getting Suicide squad vibes here (bomba/flop), hope that they're paying attention to people's responses...

G'damn, what a tone-deaf move by Sony, shit's inexcusable

If this was an Xbox game Bumblebeetuna Bumblebeetuna would love it.

So that says a lot.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The only thing that allowed me to go to sleep last night was knowing The Finals was made by 75 people and Firewalk Studio has 150.

It's possible that they have more than one team working on GAAS. I just can't live in a world where 150 people spent 6 years working on Overwatch DEI edition.

The only thing that allowed me to go to sleep last night was knowing The Finals was made by 75 people and Firewalk Studio has 150.

It's possible that they have more than one team working on GAAS. I just can't live in a world where 150 people spent 6 years working on Overwatch DEI edition.

Wow 75 for Finals, really. That’s impressive.

This looks so terrible. None of the characters look appealing and the abilities and effects all look awful. Actually I take that back, one looked like it had a smoke screen it could see through. That’s cool I guess.

Top Bottom