• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Review Thread

Montresor

So looks like this game is a masterpiece. XB1 could use a masterpiece-level exclusive.

Congrats to Studio MDHR!

I've had the game preordered since E3. I can't wait to show it to my niece and two nephews. They won't be able to play it but they love the cute Cuphead art style.

So looks like this game is a masterpiece. XB1 could use a masterpiece-level exclusive.

Congrats to Studio MDHR!

I've had the game preordered since E3. I can't wait to show it to my niece and two nephews. They won't be able to play it but they love the cute Cuphead art style.

I don't think 86 MC qualifies as a masterpiece, but it does appear to be great.

Montresor

I don't think 86 MC qualifies as a masterpiece, but it does appear to be great.

What I find really promising is the 90 metacritic rating as well for the PC version for what is essentially the same game. And I read that steam user reviews are "through-the-roof good". Tons of great impressions in the OT too from NeoGAF members.

Xbox has been hurting for a really good exclusive for a long time and I think it's nice to see Cuphead deliver.

What I find really promising is the 90 metacritic rating as well for the PC version for what is essentially the same game. And I read that steam user reviews are "through-the-roof good". Tons of great impressions in the OT too.

Xbox has been hurting for a really good exclusive for a long time and I think it's nice to see Cuphead deliver.

No question that it's a great exclusive. Keep in mind the PC Meta score is only based on 7 reviews which is way too small of a sample size. The 22 reviews on Xbox One is the score to go with. 86 is an excellent score and a huge/needed game for the XB1. Just not a masterpiece type score is all.

Montresor

No question that it's a great exclusive. Keep in mind the PC Meta score is only based on 7 reviews which is way too small of a sample size. The 22 reviews on Xbox One is the score to go with. 86 is an excellent score and a huge/needed game for the XB1. Just not a masterpiece type score is all.

Fair points. I'm definitely stoked to start playing this.

I'll admit though, because I'm in the middle of Oceanhorn and World To The West (two small indie puzzle adventure games) I'm delaying my playthrough of Cuphead just a bit. I hope to get the 1000/1000 in both this weekend and start on Cuphead.

Artanisix

ITSA MASTAPIECE
bc_ok.gif

JaffeLion

Banned
that bias against XBOX... I mean I knew that there is a huge bias against xbox 1 in the industry and online community... I mean its pretty clear.. BUT this HUGE? PC 90 and XB1 86? wtf

that bias against XBOX... I mean I knew that there is a huge bias against xbox 1 in the industry and online community... I mean its pretty clear.. BUT this HUGE? PC 90 and XB1 86? wtf

It's due to different outlets reviewing the game. Some only review PC games, others only cover Xbox titles, etc. Sites that cover both likely all gave both versions the same score.

It's not due to industry bias.

Edit - If you were joking, you got me! lol

RyudBoy

Somewhat difficult but awesome game. I only got 1 perfect score so far after an hour of playtime and I died countless times. :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's due to different outlets reviewing the game. Some only review PC games, others only cover Xbox titles, etc. Sites that cover both likely all gave both versions the same score.

It's not due to industry bias.

I'm fairly certain he's being facetious and just poking fun at VanCityGamer. I doubt anybody here would argue with a straight face that the difference between 86 and 90 is "huge".

The Argus

I couldn't disagree more. Just finished SteamWorld Dig 2 and I thought that the pure platform controls of that game were not great. Cuphead is a lot tighter.

Agreed. Outside of Spelunky I can't think of a 2D Indie game that has tighter platform controls. Some of the bosses require pinpoint precision, and you don't feel cheated when you fuck it up. Just a drive to get better.

Going by impressions and reviews so far...you can tell that the game is quite unique and most importantly so much fun.It is definitely a masterpiece. It's also the studios first game. Congrats to them.

Gestault

Cleared world one with a friend in co-op. Brilliant. This is up there for games this year, and I think it may stand among the big names in the genre.

MC isn't the end all when it comes to video games.

From what I've played so far, Cuphead sits among the greatest run 'n gun shooters of all time .

No one said it's the end all. But we're in a review thread and Metacritic is the aggregate service...for reviews. He said it clearly seems like a masterpiece based on reviews. I just pointed out that an 86 MC is not masterpiece territory IMO.

If it is, then I guess about 20 games this year are masterpieces based on reviews (many of which scored significantly higher than Cuphead).

No one said it's the end all. But we're in a review thread and Metacritic is the aggregate service...for reviews. He said it clearly seems like a masterpiece based on reviews. I just pointed out that an 86 MC is not masterpiece territory IMO.

If it is, then I guess about 20 games this year are masterpieces based on reviews (many of which scored significantly higher than Cuphead).

He appears to have been basing this on more than just Metacritic though, as evidenced by his next post. If he were calling it a masterpiece based solely on MC, I would agree with you.

In fairness though, you didn't have this information before you posted, as it was his reply to you that conveyed it.

I'm fairly certain he's being facetious and just poking fun at VanCityGamer. I doubt anybody here would argue with a straight face that the difference between 86 and 90 is "huge".

I'm not the poster who said it was "huge". You're referencing the wrong person.

Yup. ROTTR is like 86 MC, Sunset Overdrive is 81, Forza Horizon 2 is like 86 and 3 is 91 and they aren't super different games. Lots of great games don't get high MC for one reason or another

Yeah, personally I think Sunset Overdrive deserves more like an 87. Fantastic game.

Still...I'd say Forza Horizon 3 is the only masterpiece on that list though. And it's Meta score does match that conclusion too.

Zukkoyaki

I'm soooo happy this is performing well! That team busted their asses for years to make something truly unique and special. It's also a nice needed win for the Xbox brand. We need more gaming feel-good stories ^_^

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's hard to read your post any other way? You call me by name and then put in quotes "huge" :s

JaffeLion is who I'm referring to as he's who OrbitalBeard quoted. I'm saying his post:

...is an exaggerated retelling of what you said at the beginning of the thread:

Pretty amazing, but then 3 much lower reviews posted below that.
Holy smokes, people. The difference between 95/100 and 80 is quite a bit in my humble opinion. No need for so much snark. From GOTY contender to great game. Nothing wrong with that.

JaffeLion is who I'm referring to with "he" as he's who OrbitalBeard quoted. I'm saying his post:

...is an exaggerated retelling of what you said at the beginning of the thread:

OK then. Reading those posts you've quoted from earlier in the thread, I still feel the exact same way and don't think they were at all unreasonable. But to each his own I guess.

1upsuper

That's literally the second time you have said that on this page. Cool that you feel that way. Based on reviews (since this is a review thread not the OT), I don't get quite that same impression. That's a very strong word.
Have you played it? If not, he's in a much better position to judge than you!

Have you played it? If not, he's in a much better position to judge than you!

100% incorrect since this is a review thread. I have the same access to reviews that he does. He's welcome to say he gives it a masterpiece rating based on his own impressions (better suited in the OT).

So compared to boss levels are there still enough normal levels? You know, levels where we walk around and shoot baddies up?

I'm in world two, and there are definitely way more boss levels than platforming style levels. Probably like 2:1 or 3:1 between the two (maybe it changes in later worlds though). The platforming levels are nice as they are a bit more laid back than the bosses, so it helps to break up the game a bit.

sheaaaa

That's literally the second time you have said that on this page. Cool that you feel that way. Based on reviews (since this is a review thread not the OT), I don't get quite that same impression. That's a very strong word.

Your bizarre policing of what constitutes a masterpiece or not based purely on review scores is getting a bit tedious.

Anyway, I'm surprised Eurogamer and RPS don't have reviews up.

Top Bottom