• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Review Thread

Your bizarre policing of what constitutes a masterpiece or not based purely on review scores is getting a bit tedious.

Anyway, I'm surprised Eurogamer and RPS don't have reviews up.

I didn't know having an opinion was "policing". Also, review scores makes a lot of sense as a metric in a review thread. Thinking an 86 isn't really masterpiece levels is a very valid opinion to have.

This thread is so strange. Console wars are serious biz.

Enjoying the hell out of the game but it's not the best to play after a stressful day at work lol

Malcolm9

This game always looked class and I'm glad it lives up to the expectations. I completely forgot how freaky cartoons were back in the 30's.

Ascenion

I didn't know having an opinion was "policing". Also, review scores makes a lot of sense as a metric in a review thread. Thinking an 86 isn't really masterpiece levels is a very valid opinion to have.

An 86 is relatively high to the point that even a 90 by your standards wouldn’t be a masterpiece.

sneas78

Banned
This game is a masterpiece. Some great, funny, scary, vibes .. I’m hooked .. never seen anything like it.. good on MS .. this is an exclusive right? I don’t have an Xbox .. nothing really appealing for me .. so it’s about time they have something huge they can show off.. I’m really happy for them. Let’s have all 3 have something great to show.. PS4 has HZD, and alot more.. ninty has.. Zelda, splatoon, Mario Kart .. Mario coming soon bunch of good games.. endies etc. And Xbox now has something unique that people talk about.

Goalus

that bias against XBOX... I mean I knew that there is a huge bias against xbox 1 in the industry and online community... I mean its pretty clear.. BUT this HUGE? PC 90 and XB1 86? wtf

Ori is below 90 MC as well - which was ridiculous two and a half years ago and still is.

1upsuper

I don't mean to keep ragging on you, but it's not that having an opinion is "policing" - it's just that you literally don't have one, since you haven't played the game. Everyone is talking about masterpieces in different contexts. I personally think it's weird to derive anything like that from some aggregate number when games like this aren't at all quantitative things, but different strokes. I think we're going in circles since everyone's got a different metric they're working with. For me personally, the idea of drawing some line in the sand to make universal claims about whether a game is a masterpiece based on metacritic scores makes me uncomfortable, but that's just because I find these sorts of categories more personally defined.

Artanisix

100% incorrect since this is a review thread. I have the same access to reviews that he does. He's welcome to say he gives it a masterpiece rating based on his own impressions (better suited in the OT).

nah fam

i played the game

ITSA MASTAPIECE
bc_ok.gif

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Ori is below 90 MC as well - which was ridiculous two and a half years ago and still is.

That’s insane.

However, the important thing is that people know it’s worth more than an aggregate score from reviews. The death of scores can’t come soon enough - especially when seemingly any old outlet can now factor into the equation.

Ravelle

Volgarr is insanely good. I'd argue that there hasn't been a great arcade action-platformer since its release (unless this game surprises me with a hidden arcade mode maybe hopefully? ��), and when it came out it was the best since Hard Corps Uprising.

It also gave us one the best Breaking Brads.

KooopaKid

Banned
Masterpiece.

lol at the people trying to push the masterpiece narrative too hard.
But at least from a visual presentation standpoints, it's true.
I didn't expect this game to review as good as it is. I'm not a fan of the shooting and damage feedback for instance, it's not very satisfying.
Anyway, seems like a very good game overall.

I'm in world two, and there are definitely way more boss levels than platforming style levels. Probably like 2:1 or 3:1 between the two (maybe it changes in later worlds though). The platforming levels are nice as they are a bit more laid back than the bosses, so it helps to break up the game a bit.

Thanks man, good to know. Will we be seeing this game in crazy crisp 4K on One X or no patch announced yet? :)

Superlatives describing Cuphead: masterpiece, revelation, tour de force, piece de resistance, masterclass, crowning achievement, cream of the crop, magnum opus, masterwork. I don't know which ones we're allowed to use for an 86 MC though.

Only saw what this game looks like today. Blew my mind. The art and animation look phenomenal... As someone earlier said "I've never seen anything like it." (except actual cartoons)

Too bad it's not on a platform I own or wish to invest in.

CloudWolf

Good lord, some of you are acting like this is this year's No Man's Sky. It's a really good game, guys.

how's the lengh for a normal playthrough? im expecting 5-6 hours

If you don't die, it's around that I think. Me, I'm at 7 hours played with only 25% of the game completed. This shit is hard as balls.

Dehnus

This is a full on exclusive for Xbox right? Or like PUBG will land on other systems later?

Stealth Port Begging much? Seriously just be happy that the Xbox fans also get to have a fun game for their system. They don't often get an "exclusive" like this. On top of that, just play it on PC then. You can get it at GOG and Steam too.

Stealth Port Begging much? Seriously just be happy that the Xbox fans also get to have a fun game for their system. They don't often get an "exclusive" like this. On top of that, just play it on PC then. You can get it at GOG and Steam too.
How can we be happy for Xbox fans if we don't know what level of exclusive it is? Like if it's a true exclusive I'm super happy for them, if it's like PUBG I'm mildly happy they get to feel special for a bit.

How can we be happy for Xbox fans if we don't know what level of exclusive it is? Like if it's a true exclusive I'm super happy for them, if it's like PUBG I'm mildly happy they get to feel special for a bit.

If you're just seeking clarification, all signs indicate this will remain PC and Xbox exclusive forever.

Purdy

Haven't commented until now but you seem to have a weird obsession with batting down people praising the game a bit too highly for your liking, its a bit cringe worthy.

Novocaine

Superlatives describing Cuphead: masterpiece, revelation, tour de force, piece de resistance, masterclass, crowning achievement, cream of the crop, magnum opus, masterwork. I don't know which ones we're allowed to use for an 86 MC though.

Not that I agree that it’s masterpiece territory, but Dark Souls is only an 89 on Metacritic and that gets labeled as a masterpiece all of the time.

Doesn’t really matter though, the game is god damned amazing either way.

It's 2d hand-drawn animation.

Yeah I've read/heard about that, but I thought maybe they somehow convert/project the hand drawn animation onto 3D objects for game engine purposes or whatever (I'm no expert).. But you're saying the game is actually drawing and manipulating 2D sprites? It's confusing me because I've never seen a 2D game look this good before.

CloudWolf

Yeah I've read/heard about that, but I thought maybe they somehow convert/project the hand drawn animation onto 3D objects for game engine purposes or whatever (I'm no expert).. But you're saying the game is actually drawing and manipulating 2D sprites? It's confusing me because I've never seen a 2D game look this good before.

It's completely hand drawn on paper, scanned in the computer and animated. They didn't use computer-generated sprites at all.

entremet

Becuase it's rather expensive to do. But it's possible. Luckily, the creators had a clear vision they did want to compromise on and it looks like they pulled it off.

3rd Strike, which was the poster boy for 2D sprite animation is close to two decades old. In the modern gaming scene, there is a Skullsgirls. But this is a more expansive game than a fighter.

Do the art assets scale natively to 4K on PC? I imagine there's a limit to the resolution of the scanned animation after which it would have to upscale the pixels and introduce artifacts/blur (if you were to run it at 8K in the future for example).

Do the art assets scale natively to 4K on PC? I imagine there's a limit to the resolution of the scanned animation after which it would have to upscale the pixels and introduce artifacts/blur (if you were to run it at 8K in the future for example).

Assets are created for 1080p.

robotrock

Banned

Nope, but I can barely tell it's not 4k on my monitor. The filters they've got on are fooling me

Hoo boy, easy there man. Personally I couldn't give a damn about it not releasing outside of Xbox because Xbox is my main platform all the way. Was asking this for a friend who only has a Switch and PS4.

For MS I would say it's actually good if it's a exclusive. We all know they can use more top quality ones.

Wait this is on Steam too? I thought it was Windows Store only. Maybe I will play it one day then.

Top Bottom