• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG Rumor: Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
To be fair, it looks like Sony are paying Activision to screw Xbox gamers out of Destiny DLC. It rubs both ways. Neither MS or Sony have the gamers' interests at heart so let's not pretend that either one of them is acting in our interests.

It's a two way street, son.

It is, but i'm pretty sure it was MS that tried it first and made it a viable tactic.

I'll continue my tactic of going for the version that doesn't have the timed exclusive bullshit. The PC.

V_Ben

Banned
Then we already know which shooter everyone is betting on. MS on the Respawn game and Sony on Destiny. If Respawn's game is just another shooter Sony might have the etter deal. We will see.

Yeah, I think we're going to see a war of 'who is trying to innovate in the shooter genre more'. Interesting to see what comes out on top.

Biggzy

It is, but i'm pretty sure it was MS that tried it first and made it a viable tactic.

I'll continue my tactic of going for the version that doesn't have the timed exclusive bullshit. The PC.

Are you forgetting Nintendo back in the NES days? Or Sony with the GTA series? These companies will do anything to get a leg-up on the competition.

Are you forgetting Nintendo back in the NES days? Or Sony with the GTA series? These companies will do anything to get a leg-up on the competition.

Or Sony and EA Sports which killed the Dreamcast. Seriously, to say that MS were first with paying to keep the competitor fucked is false.

Biggzy

Or Sony and EA Sports which killed the Dreamcast. Seriously, to say that MS were first with paying to keep the competitor fucked is false.

I thought that was more because EA was pissed with all the stupid business decisions that Sega did in the 90s?

I can't help but read "EA strikes a deal with Microsoft" as "there will be anti-used-game DRM involved in the negotiations somewhere".

Acheteedo

This could get ugly. As a consumer who's certainly getting both systems, this irritates me. For example, say I'm hugely anticipating game X - if game X comes out first on the 720, but has a significantly better IQ on PS4, then it's lose-lose for me. This deal combined with what we know about the two systems could spell out exactly this.

Hope it's just a DLC deal for Battlefield and the like, leave me Mass Effects alone.

Well I guess that explains EA not at the ps4 event.

I guess it's probably respawn related. EA shareholders would freak if it's anything mega huge like all games release 3 months early on xbox

Maybe it's kinect stuff. All EA games will be "better with kinect" or something

darkwing

lol it's not going to be a game exclusive more likely like a 3 months head start or exclusive DLC

but game exclusives

dang!!!

Xater

This could get ugly. As a consumer who's certainly getting both systems, this irritates me. For example, say I'm hugely anticipating game X - if game X comes out first on the 720, but has a significantly better IQ on PS4, then it's lose-lose for me. This deal combined with what we know about the two systems could spell out exactly this.

Hope it's just a DLC deal for Battlefield and the like, leave me Mass Effects alone.

Or you could just ignore that stuff and throw less money at these shitty companies? Worked out pretty well for me this gen.

Satchel

Banned
I thought it was all Sega, personally.

Well, Sega had Visual Concepts making killer sports games. EA told them to fuck it off, and only have EA making the sports games for Dreamcast exclusively. Sega said, no, fuck you. So EA said noooooo FUCK YOU.

It's probably just a few timed exclusives or something, but this would push me more towards PS4/PC for the time being. Especially with the rumored $70 EA aim for games and potentially anti-used stuff from Microsoft. PS4 for exclusives and Steam/Amazon/GMG deals for PC multiplatform(I love paying 1/4 or less the price of the console versions).

Ding-Ding

Nope.

This announcement depends soley on whether Microsoft has taken the leap and blocked used games.

If they have, this is going to be FAR bigger than a timed exclusive. This is going to be an outright exclusive, or multiple outright exclusives. Again, that's working under the assumption that MS are blocking used games.

I've posted many times saying that there's zero chance of them blocking used games if they don't have assurances from the big publishers/developers. This partnership is the first hint at that.

Timed exclusives just aren't worth the commercial suicide of blocking used games.

You are reading into this too much.

Both EA and Activision have way to big of a fanbase on either platform for them to simply ignore either platform. It will cost them more than the 2nd hand market ever would.

Oh, for those thinking BF4 exclusive, in the same EA meeting "BF4 looks beautiful on PS4"

Nope.

This announcement depends soley on whether Microsoft has taken the leap and blocked used games.

If they have, this is going to be FAR bigger than a timed exclusive. This is going to be an outright exclusive, or multiple outright exclusives. Again, that's working under the assumption that MS are blocking used games.

I've posted many times saying that there's zero chance of them blocking used games if they don't have assurances from the big publishers/developers. This partnership is the first hint at that.

Timed exclusives just aren't worth the commercial suicide of blocking used games.

If Microsoft and EA are looking at this long term, as in eradicating the used game market, this will be big.
You're really still on about this after EA essentially confirmed BF4 and FIFA for the PS4 at the Morgan Stanley event? Really?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
$70 for new games?!!! And they're expecting people to blow this amount of money on digital downloads where you don't even own anything?

Looks like I won't be buying many games day one this new gen.

Satchel

Banned
You are reading into this too much.

Both EA and Activision have way to big of a fanbase on either platform for them to simply ignore either platform. It will cost them more than the 2nd hand market ever would.

Oh, for those thinking BF4 exclusive, in the same EA meeting "BF looks beautiful on PS4"

Ummmmm....the new Xbox and PS4 don't have an install base. They're not out yet.

That's the point of having this deal from the start. If MS moneyhats EA (or any other publisher) to cover the "losses" of not developing for the PS4 initially small userbase, then it gives Microsoft all the mindshare it needs or get the leg up early. This has a flow on effect when other devs see publishers on the Xbox making more money due to no used games and the growing install base thanks to the exclusives they secured early on.

Remember, these consoles will have tiny install bases for the first 6 months to a year, that's when the moneyhats can be smaller.

You're really still on about this after EA essentially confirmed BF4 and FIFA for the PS4 at the Morgan Stanley event? Really?

Uh, yeah. Who said it has to be FIFA or Battlefield?

It could be anything. Respawn's game, Mirrors Edge 2, Fight Night, fuck knows. I'm just saying, it's dependent on MS blocking used games. If they are, the I am 90% certain they'll have locked down at least 1 exclusive off EA. It could be a nothing exclusive, it could be a huge exclusive. But there'll be something. There's literally no other reason MS would commit commercial suicide otherwise.

Well, Sega had Visual Concepts making killer sports games. EA told them to fuck it off, and only have EA making the sports games for Dreamcast exclusively. Sega said, no, fuck you. So EA said noooooo FUCK YOU.

Same thing happened with the OG Xbox didn't it?

Ea didn't release sports games on it until MS canned there first party sports games

EA is pretty shitty and I bet this is down to the anti used / always on stuff in Durango. I wonder if this will cause Sony to implement more anti used stuff?

As long as they don't sign any Mass Effect related thing, I don't care.

I could see EA releasing all DLC, map packs etc as 30 day timed exclusives on xbox. I would expect most if not all content would come out on PS4 as EA seems to like money!

I wish MS would spend more effort and money creating new IP and content for their own games, rather than giving paid hand jobs to EA and Activision. MS first party content over the last couple of years has been terrible.

Acheteedo

My guess:

Exclusive DLC. EA's way of endorsing Microsoft's anti-used, always online DRM.

Timed exclusives on the full game make more sense to me, the more I think about it. Why bother going through all the trouble of blocking used games for a console when you can use them for the other platform just fine. The only way to capitalise on the situation would be to keep games exclusive on the used game blocking platform, at least for a few months.

Banned
So this'll be MS paying out to screw over PS4 gamers then? Such a shitty company nowadays. Why can't they spend their money on actual games? Such a negative tactic. Its bad for all consumers as even XBox games just end up paying for this through XBL fees.

Like Sony buying developers to screw over MS and Nintendo users?

Beelzebubs

To me this looks like MS really is trying to do away with 2nd hand games. EA would definitely like that enough to give them a crapton of exclusives ;)

slider

In this thread EA choses the right partner and gaf asplodes.

BF4 xbox/windows only ya heard it hear first.

The right partner? Clearly it's right for them in some way (if they've agreed to a deal - which incidentally we don't know the details of!). Did you mean something different by right? Only because it's a strange way of saying "business decision".

Satchel

Banned
Timed exclusives on the full game make more sense to me, the more I think about it. Why bother going through all the trouble of blocking used games for a console when you can use them for the other platform just fine. The only way to capitalise on the situation would be to keep games exclusive on the used game blocking platform, at least for a few months.

Won't be timed. Timed isn't worth the shit MS will cop for making such a dick move. Microsoft doesn't stand to get anything out of blocking used games.

But of they have big studio backing they sure as fuck do. We all know that basically all devs and publishers want the used game market gone, and if MS are going ahead and making their dreams come true, they're not going to do it alone.

Are you going to skip Activision's games now?

I wouldn't skip "Activision" games nor would I skip "EA" games. I would skip the ones involved with the exclusivity. Just like EA.

If a company feels like my money is worth less than the money of another person I'm going to exercise my right to not purchase offending products.

It's weird how my decision was a stand-out enough point you had to take a 'stab' at me though, lol

(I haven't played a Call of Duty game more than an hour this generation so it's a moot point.)

Won't be timed. Timed isn't worth the shit MS will cop for making such a dick move. Microsoft doesn't stand to get anything out of blocking used games.

But of they have big studio backing they sure as fuck do. We all know that basically all devs and publishers want the used game market gone, and if MS are going ahead and making their dreams come true, they're not going to do it alone.

That would mark the biggest backfire in gaming history. The hardcore gamer would utterly loathe Microsoft for such a tactic.

Satchel

Banned
That would mark the biggest backfire in gaming history. The hardcore gamer would utterly loathe Microsoft for such a tactic.

Of course they would. I stated as much. Hence why they wouldn't do it unless they had assurances from the bigger studios and publishers that they were going to get something out of it.

It's pretty logical.

But again, its only working under the assumption that MS are in fact blocking used games.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's probably just the typical timed exclusivity for DLC and bullshit like that.

It's not like that didn't happen during the current generation or something.

Kyoufu

That's money lost for EA.

Good luck to anyone who thinks this is more than DLC or that Kinect game from Crytek.

gaming_noob

I wouldn't skip "Activision" games nor would I skip "EA" games. I would skip the ones involved with the exclusivity. Just like EA.

If a company feels like my money is worth less than the money of another person I'm going to exercise my right to not purchase offending products.

It's weird how my decision was a stand-out enough point you had to take a 'stab' at me though, lol

(I haven't played a Call of Duty game more than an hour this generation so it's a moot point.)

Fair enough. Your post about not being bothered and your follow-up comment a few posts below caught my attention, that's all.

Exclusives don't matter to me since I plan to own both consoles, and I never buy DLC so exclusive DLC means nothing to me.

Acheteedo

The forum backlash would be huge. But much like the infamous MW2 boycott, the vast majority will collapse like a wet flan to get their hands on them games.

noah111

Still Alive
So it's not exclusivity, and there's no way it's exclusivity (as already reported), so what is it? If it's DLC, no one really gives a shit. Destiny will supposedly have PS4 exclusive DLC, that's fine and all but hardly a partnership worthy of making a big deal out and neither would EA DLC.

Any other ideas? Must be something bigger than DLC if it's getting leaked like this, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom