• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG Rumor: Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjelly

Banned
Maybe EA has gotten a partnership deal for Origins like they were trying to do with Nintendo.

Seeing how the Nextbox will be tied into windows 8 it's might benefit EA to have a unified account / achievement system built into Microsofts next console

Biggzy

EA, the company that made its fortune on the back of the Mega Drive/Genesis, dumped Sega in part because they made their own sports games.

You can't also discount that publishers were really pissed with Sega for the debacle over the Saturn's surprising launch date.

kinggroin

Banned
If this pans out to timed software exclusivity, I called it.

The only way Microsoft gets away with the anti-consumer practices, is if they have software leverage. Casuals, and the less informed will have no problem either way.

Microsoft can make it happen early on with tiny install bases. Their pockets certainly are deep enough.

seady

You are asking EA, a company that even ports games like the badly sold Dead Space Extraction, and the 5 years old port of ogininal Mass Effect to the PS3 etc - to be releasing exclusive games on one system??! No way.

However I think this is a backward policy for MS and one that just costs money with not a huge amount of benefit unless its really notable. The more notable, the more costly, the less likely.

Why would it cost MS any money?

EA: Block used games
Sony: No
MS: What is in it for us?
EA: We'll release all our games 1 month earlier on Xbox.
MS: Done!

Crazy? Yeah...but so is blocking used games and being online. If that is true (big "if") then I could see a company like EA making a deal with MS to have timed exclusives. That way all the big fans will be on Xbox where they are forced to pay full price every time. Sony gets whatever is left but "does the right thing".

Either way I don't play any EA games that I can think of so...

Satchel

Banned
I don't recall saying that any gamer wants used games blocked.

I said fanboys want EA game exclusivity. Just scan through this thread or the "Will Microsoft bring it?" thread.

But would they really want that at the cost of blocking used games?

Even in that thread, its about what they think MS will do, not what they want them to do. I don't want used games blocked. I already told my little brother in law that Microsoft might be blocking used games (mostly all he can afford) and that he might need to save up for a PS4 this time around. I already created him a PSN account on my PS3 so he's prepped and ready anyway.

Blocking used games would be a cock move. I doubt anyone here would approve of the move. But take away the hysteria for a second, and try to look at this purely from a business perspective. Many have already said it including myself.

There is absolutely zero to gain for Microsoft to block used games on their own. Literally. No one would buy the console (well almost). They'd literally be giving next gen to Sony on a PS2 level platter given Nintendos current state.

Why would they knowingly do this? Honestly. All bullshit aside, why would they? They wouldn't. Unless...they had backing from guys like EA and Activision. Now, before you say, "but EA are supporting Sony". We know that. But we don't know how yet. They could be supporting Sony in many ways. They might give Madden and FIFA 14 to the next Xbox only, but give 15 to both. Is that not still supporting Sony?

The point is, if the long term goal, is to block used games, which it "appears" to be, then this announcement isn't going to be something as minuscule as DLC. It's just not worth the commercial suiucide for DLC or timed exclusives.

Inversive

I doubt it will be anything major, EA loves money too much to alienate an entire userbase. Timed DLC or some other meaningless shite would be my guess.

Even in that thread, its about what they think MS will do, not what they want them to do. I don't want used games blocked. I already told my little brother in law that Microsoft might be blocking used games (mostly all he can afford) and that he might need to save up for a PS4 this time around. I already created him a PSN account on my PS3 so he's prepped and ready anyway.

Blocking used games would be a cock move. I doubt anyone here would approve of the move. But take away the hysteria for a second, and try to look at this purely from a business perspective. Many have already said it including myself.

There is absolutely zero to gain for Microsoft to block used games on their own. Literally. No one would buy the console (well almost). They'd literally be giving next gen to Sony on a PS2 level platter given Nintendos current state.

Why would they knowingly do this? Honestly. All bullshit aside, why would they? They wouldn't. Unless...they had backing from guys like EA and Activision. Now, before you say, "but EA are supporting Sony". We know that. But we don't know how yet. They could be supporting Sony in many ways. They might give Madden and FIFA 14 to the next Xbox only, but give 15 to both. Is that not still supporting Sony?

The point is, if the long term goal, is to block used games, which it "appears" to be, then this announcement isn't going to be something as minuscule as DLC. It's just not worth the commercial suiucide for DLC or timed exclusives.

This is all bullshit because EA told investors yesterday that BF4 and FIFA are coming to PS4. Seriously, how many times does someone have to point that out to you before you get it. They can't lie to investors.

Biggzy

I doubt it will be anything major, EA loves money too much to alienate an entire userbase. Timed DLC or some other meaningless shite would be my guess.

It will be timed exclusivity for dlc, co-marketing for their games and maybe an exclusivity period for one of their new IP's.

I like exclusive contenct as much as the next guy, but if this exclusivity deal comes at a price of blocking used games, both EA and Microsoft can go fuck themselves.

Kyoufu

It doesn't matter really. If rumours are true then Microsoft WILL be blocking used games with or without EA on board.

And I don't think they will be doing it alone. I think Sony will follow but maybe with a slightly more lenient "up to the publishers" approach.

And I DO think Microsoft will be moneyhatting games, I've already said this before in previous threads, but I don't see it being anything on the level of BF4, CoD or something that would hurt the publisher by being exclusive.

I'll put in for Xbox getting BF4 DLC a month before PS4.

Although reading the linked article it sounds like the sources are making up shit since they don't know any details whatsoever.

Satchel

Banned
This is all bullshit because EA told investors yesterday that BF4 and FIFA are coming to PS4. Seriously, how many times does someone have to point that out to you before you get it. They can't lie to investors.

You're missing the point. I said earlier god only knows what the exclusive could be. It could be a meaningless one. You're focusing on the wrong part of the argument here.

It doesn't matter really. If rumours are true then Microsoft WILL be blocking used games with or without EA on board.

And I don't think they will be doing it alone. I think Sony will follow but maybe with a slightly more lenient "up to the publishers" approach.

And I DO think Microsoft will be moneyhatting games, I've already said this before in previous threads, but I don't see it being anything on the level of BF4, CoD or something that would hurt the publisher by being exclusive.

It might note on that level. I stated as much before. It could be Respawns new game which will have no fan base like CoD does initially. Maybe they have an agreement with MS to push it like its "the new CoD". Who the hell knows. People sitting here arguing over the titles are missing the point.

It's not about which game, its about the goal of blocking used games. I said right from the start, this is only a hypothetical working under the assumption that the intention is to block used games. MS simply won't do it without backing. Unless its a clever ruse to end the Xbox brand without officially doing themselves out of nowhere.

Emwitus

So let me get this straight. people think EA are going exclusive even though sony have the largest market share everywhere else but us/uk? Keep in mind one of their biggest money makers is a football/socc game.

Busty

Banned

You fight the good fight under the banner of common sense zomgbbqftw but there are simply too many of them.

We'll retreat to the hills and bombard them with witty one liners from orbit.

Well, Microsoft will finally have an EA partnership, wait does Battlefield 4 could be a XBOX Next exclusive, it could be or not. I suppose that EA will do a XBOX Next exclusive game, so that does it.

Pug

How many times, if MS is blocking used games it will because ALL PUBLISHERS want it, not just EA. If MS is going to block used games and SONY isn't I would expect MS to make sure it will be getting more feature content from 3rd party titles. By the way for what its worth I think SONY will be blocking 2nd hand games also.

It will be timed exclusivity, co-marketing for their games and maybe an exclusivity period for one of their new IP's.

It won't even go that far, they leave too much money on the table.

If BF4 is timed exclusive to NXTBX and releases in the same timeframe as next gen COD, PS4 buyers will all just buy COD and EA lose out on 1m+ sales and allow Activision to entrench their brand on PS4.

In a vacuum timed exclusivity can work, but the console market is not a vacuum, for every FIFA or BF title EA might say is timed exclusive there is a PES and COD just waiting to pounce on them in that exclusivity period.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EA's CFO just spoke a week ago about some of the benefits of used games (engines of liquidity for new game purchases). Why are you all so convinced they want to block them (vs. just using an online pass)?

Biggzy

It won't even go that far, they leave too much money on the table.

If BF4 is timed exclusive to NXTBX and releases in the same timeframe as next gen COD, PS4 buyers will all just buy COD and EA lose out on 1m+ sales and allow Activision to entrench their brand on PS4.

In a vacuum timed exclusivity can work, but the console market is not a vacuum, for every FIFA or BF title EA might say is timed exclusive there is a PES and COD just waiting to pounce on them in that exclusivity period.

I meant timed exclusivity for dlc; I have edited my post.

Violater

All I care about is next gen BF4, If they make dlc times exclusive I do not care as I have never been in a hurry to pay for dlc.

Linkified

EA's CFO just spoke a week ago about some of the benefits of used games (engines of liquidity for new game purchases). Why are you all so convinced they want to block them (vs. just using an online pass)?

Or getting a digital copy access code watermarked to disks ala PS3 "Cross buy games"?

I could see EA saying "Hell no" and MS dropping a ton of cash at their door.

Two goals of this upcoming generation is to get people to migrate from Physical to Digital, as well as convincing consumers to buy 'new' not used - would be one hell of an easy way to convince more people to jump on board.

ced

Screw both if them, I've really built up a lot of disgust for both companies, they can have their customer screwing partnership all to themselves.

Hearing stuff like this makes me fear MS will bend over backwards to accomodate ridiculous publisher demands, such as used game culling and always-online 'anti-piracy' bs.

Ding-Ding

Well, Microsoft will finally have an EA partnership, wait does Battlefield 4 could be a XBOX Next exclusive, it could be or not. I suppose that EA will do a XBOX Next exclusive game, so that does it.

Jesus how many times...

Delusional Gamers - BF4 exclusive to xbox
EA - BF4 looks beautiful on PS4

Kyoufu

You said MS is killing 2nd hand games, it's not its major publishers.

That's obviously the reason why this is (probably) happening in the first place; pressure from publishers. I never argued that. I meant if there was no EA + Microsoft partnership here then the block would still happen regardless.

Mxrz

Its EA. They have a "Partnership" with everyone. If there's any exclusivity, it'll be some dlc microtransactions.

DEADEVIL

Wait did anyone read the article. Literally nothing in it suggests there is a partnership with EA. None of the supposed sources work at EA or MS and even they had nothing but speculation. The article is so bad that when they say that the quotes hint at a partnership, not one actually does.

The Sony conference was too early timing wise. Even the tweet from EA is saying the same thing.

Weird that even GAF isn't calling the article out.

oldergamer

Sony hasn't been very big in EA's court since they never fully dropped making sports games. The only reason MS and EA are cosy is when MS agreed to not compete with EA sports on the original xbox.

Rocky

Banned
It can't involve any of their sports titles, as they're under contractual obligations as part of their licenses to support all major platforms.

I really doubt there are any obligations like that. EA clearly doesn't support Nintendo or the portable systems with their sports titles and I'd definitely consider those major platforms.

Lucifon

Timed exclusive BF4 DLC on the next Xbox confirmed?

With the lack of EA presence at the PS4 press conference and Activision signing a deal for Destiny DLC I think it was a given that some Xbox+EA deal had been made.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wait did anyone read the article. Literally nothing in it suggests there is a partnership with EA. None of the supposed sources work at EA or MS and even they had nothing but speculation. The article is so bad that when they say that the quotes hint at a partnership, not one actually does.

The Sony conference was too early timing wise. Even the tweet from EA is saying the same thing.

Weird that even GAF isn't calling the article out.

It's early in the US. :) wait for people to get up and cvg, which publishes a rumor every twenty minutes, will get torn a new one.

GeoramA

Hope it's something substantial and not more timed DLC bullshit like CoD. Otherwise, EA won't see a dime from me next-gen.

Doffen

Maybe Xbox is the only place to stream EA games for X years? I bet Sony is working on exclusive streaming deals as well.

Kyoufu

Sony hasn't been very big in EA's court since they never fully dropped making sports games. The only reason MS and EA are cosy is when MS agreed to not compete with EA sports on the original xbox.

It contradicts a former EA employee here when he said EA have a better relationship with Sony due to certification approvals or whatever.

Biggzy

I really doubt there are any obligations like that. EA clearly doesn't support Nintendo or the portable systems with their sports titles and I'd definitely consider those major platforms.

Isn't more that these licenses cost a ton of money to get and so you want to sell on most platforms as possible to broaden your potential market?

TheOddOne

It's early in the US. :) wait for people to get up and cvg, which publishes a rumor every twenty minutes, will get torn a new one.
Yeah, but seeing as CVG stick to their guns, it will be funny to see this backlash on them later. It's all in good fun :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom