• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CW fast tracking 'Flash' series (Full costume photo and casting new in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Isn't Barry Allen a forensics investigator? Probably easier for them to fall back on the cop procedural, CSI kind of stuff if they can't think of superhero shit for him to do.

Could do the Manhunter?
Or The Question
Or Elongated Man

Well okay, the first one does need more CG, but still!

I'm not hating on a Flash show. Just a weird statement.

strobogo

Banned
I feel like I learned less

Why is Flash better suited for the small screen than most other DC characters?

Especially ones that don't need to rely on CG for their powers.

Batman is clearly the best suited for the small screen of all the major DC characters. You can combine a detective/cop procedural with an action show and drama. And little to no CGI needed.

Cwarrior

I rather liked the old Flash series from 1990.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098798/?ref_=sr_6

flashcostume2.jpg

Hey I use to watch this show all the time, the timburton like intro was really darn cool

It really is, but I'm withholding judgement on how they'll treat the show until season 3/4. That's roughly where Smallville started to go downhill in terms of location shooting, etc and they were left with filming all scenes in the same four/five locations.

Open at Lex's mansion, cut to barn, cut to shop, cut to barn, cut to generic looking Lexcorp lab, cut to barn, cut to home, cut to mansion, end of episode.

That's you ruined what little enjoyment I found in smallville, i hated the teen drama in that, far too much of it, it took me years to find out the show was related to superman most people I know still have no clue.

It's pretty melodramatic, but how they go with the Flash could be a make it or break it for me.

I love this show partly because there are no superpowers beyond smoldering stares, occasional wooden acting, and abs. And the ability to punch and shoot arrows and shit. That's what got me intrigued. I don't much care for superpowers.

They have a great fight choreographer and the fights are always fantastic. What the fuck happens to that when you introduce budget CGI and superpowers!?

Ripclawe

Banned
Moments like that don't make up for all the stupid teen drama that happens in that show. Everybody is bitching and whining and (almost) everybody gets saved in time. It's an okay show.

you so deserve the Thea expression of disapproval award.
QJyKNPC.gif

As for Flash effects, if the 90s show could pull it off nicely, why not this show.

GolazoDan

That Aquaman pilot wasn't too bad. And at least Justin Hartley got the Smallville gig as Ollie/Green Arrow out of it, he was always really good in that role. Never really dug the Smallville Aquaman (soon to be seen in Michael Bay's TMNT!) but Kyle Gallner played Flash and I always kinda liked him. He did look about 12 though, even in his later appearances. Dat babyface.

Smallville got really good IMO in the later seasons, last couple at least. The early showrunners loved that Clark/Lana romance and really drove it into the ground. By seasons 6 and 7 she was basically the worst character in the history of everything. Seasons 9 and 10 were written by comic book geeks so all sorts of awesome stuff got in, like that Justice Society "movie length" episode. Also PAM GRIER HECK YEAH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTUMNu28PE8

Batman is clearly the best suited for the small screen of all the major DC characters. You can combine a detective/cop procedural with an action show and drama. And little to no CGI needed.
They really should make one. exact style as Arrow but detective focused.
swap the island flashbacks to League of Shadows and other training things(Zatanna and Zatara etc)
Replace
Shado
with Talia.
Gordon instead of Detective Lance have other GCPD side characters like Bullock and Montoya.
Friendships with Dent and Thomas Elliot, relationship drama with Selina, Talia, Vicki Vale, etc

Bam! Batman fit for TV and CW.
If you need a Batmobile and can't with a TV budget borrow the Tumbler or 89 Batmobile from WB.

DominoKid

They really should make one. exact style as Arrow but detective focused.
swap the island flashbacks to League of Shadows and other training things(Zatanna and Zatara etc)
Replace
Shado
with Talia.
Gordon instead of Detective Lance have other GCPD side characters like Bullock and Montoya.
Friendships with Dent and Thomas Elliot, relationship drama with Selina, Talia, Vicki Vale, etc

Bam! Batman fit for TV and CW.
If you need a Batmobile and can't with a TV budget borrow the Tumbler or 89 Batmobile from WB.

or they can just borrow R. Kelly's

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I actually like Arrow, but I couldn't stand Smallville after Season 1. The biggest problem is finding and creating foes for a young Clark. The "meteor freak" thing wore thin even during that first season, let alone for a couple after that. You can tell the writers were struggling for ideas each season, every single one has a huge set of terrible episodes. 24 episodes is a lot, it's not easy to fill with a show like that. But the witches and drawn out relationships were insufferable. Smallville just seemed to have really nice season premiers and finales, the rest was just people talking in Lex's mansion. Literally any time I'd flip past it, they were either in Lex's mansion or in a lab.

Only reason I'm able to watch Arrow is that they don't really draw anything out. Stuff that would have taken Smallville literally half or a whole season to deal with, gets addressed in Arrow very quickly. It moves at a quick pace, so its enjoyable. Which seems to be a new thing with The CW, Vampire Dairies also has quickly paced seasons.

Also I wouldn't be shocked if The Flash was Black. I have a strong inkling that someone (either the movie or tv show) is going to go in that direction with him. Flash is iconic, but he's one of those characters that I don't think people would really flip out about if you changed his race because there have been multiple people that have called themselves The Flash, just like Green Lantern. You ask someone on the street who is Batman, you get "Bruce Wayne." Same with Superman and Clark Kent. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that knows who the Flash really is. Blank slate basically, on a pop culture level.

ReiGun

Also I wouldn't be shocked if The Flash was Black. I have a strong inkling that someone (either the movie or tv show) is going to go in that direction with him. Flash is iconic, but he's one of those characters that I don't think people would really flip out about if you changed his race because there have been multiple people that have called themselves The Flash, just like Green Lantern. You ask someone on the street who is Batman, you get "Bruce Wayne." Same with Superman and Clark Kent. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that knows who the Flash really is. Blank slate basically, on a pop culture level.

Your faith in people is admirable, but trust me: Flash as anything but a white guy is going to drive folks up a wall.

Now changing some of his supporting characters to black (except Wally, which I suppose translates to except Iris as well) would go over just fine. People may not make a big deal about changing the Rogues, for example. Emphasis on "might."

Seems like a 3 episode arc
Imagine 3rd one will be the backdoor pilot?

https://twitter.com/FlashTVNews/status/362359288351555586
Interesting
There's Blur from Squadron Supreme.

blur1.jpg
:Bows: at your comic book knowledge
Edit:

there is a black flash,Jenni Ognats, Granddaughter of Barry Allen from the 64th century.
http://www.comicvine.com/xs/4005-40802/

but she lives in the 31st century and is part of the legion of superheroes.
tumblr_lkxll9aMJp1qbujox.jpg
Yours too. :p

Malvingt2

Arrow - GreenArrowTV ‏@GreenArrowTV
#Arrow Episodes 2.8 and 2.9 will see Barry Allen in Starling City. 2.20 will take things to Barry Allen's world of characters.

Switters

People who enjoy Arrow will now be referred to as Broarrownies because that's the worst thing I can think to call anyone.

Also, Flash has THE WORST rogues gallery ever invented by someone not in a diabetic coma. No one wants to see that mess. That's /r/cringe tv right there.

Malvingt2

The Flash On Arrow… Here’s The Scoop From Andrew Kreisberg & Geoff Johns!

- Barry Allen in the Arrow universe is “just an ordinary forensic scientist working for the Central City Police Department” when we first meet him, Andrew Kreisberg tells us. “As we always do on Arrow, we try to keep things as grounded and realistic as possible, and that is the way the audience will be introduced to Barry and get to know him before his life gets a little bit faster.”

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/the-flash-on-arrow-heres-the-scoop/14666

warning spoilers!!

People who enjoy Arrow will now be referred to as Broarrownies because that's the worst thing I can think to call anyone.

Also, Flash has THE WORST rogues gallery ever invented by someone not in a diabetic coma. No one wants to see that mess. That's /r/cringe tv right there.

you have awful taste and should feel bad. the Rouges are the best group of villains.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Wow, that's three bad opinions in one post.

but you enjoy lost. ;)

Your faith in people is admirable, but trust me: Flash as anything but a white guy is going to drive folks up a wall.

Now changing some of his supporting characters to black (except Wally, which I suppose translates to except Iris as well) would go over just fine. People may not make a big deal about changing the Rogues, for example. Emphasis on "might."

Shit if ANY main hero has his ethnicity changed to black people freak the fuck out, regardless of how big or small the comic series is. Hell look at the number of people who bugged the fuck out when Rue from Hunger Games was cast as a black girl....and that was a novel not a comic.

a black Flash
ifxHHceMOa6Rr.png

Danica Williams
tumblr_mhxbz5H78m1qzvnpdo1_500.jpg

ReiGun

I'm trying to imagine how they'll redesign the Flash's suit. Of all the JL members, his might be the hardest to translate to live action, I feel.

Shit if ANY main hero has his ethnicity changed to black people freak the fuck out, regardless of how big or small the comic series is. Hell look at the number of people who bugged the fuck out when Rue from Hunger Games was cast as a black girl....and that was a novel not a comic.

That was hilarious considering even the author said Rue was supposed to be black. Mother fuckers can't read. lol

Clevinger

People who get bent out of shape because people like something they don't will always be referred to as losers with too much time on their hands.

I don't get how a Flash show could work ... or even a movie.

Isn't he too fast to even get hit? How fast can he react to things if they make a movie about him or a show? Would he he massively nerfed so that people could hit him? I mean, he IS the character that saved a ton of people from a burning building, stopped for a second after someone asked where they're gonna live now, ran into a library to learn HOW to build apartment buildings, ran BACK to the scene and rebuilt them a damn building to live in in less than a few seconds. I think he also saved an island full of people from a nuke by relocating them one by one out of the blast zone ... as the nuke was going off.

I don't know what kinda "Flash" to expect from a show or Movie ...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't get how a Flash show could work ... or even a movie.

Isn't he too fast to even get hit? How fast can he react to things if they make a movie about him or a show? Would he he massively nerfed so that people could hit him? I mean, he IS the character that saved a ton of people from a burning building, stopped for a second after someone asked where they're gonna live now, ran into a library to learn HOW to build apartment buildings, ran BACK to the scene and rebuilt them a damn building to live in in less than a few seconds. I think he also saved an island full of people from a nuke ... as the nuke was going off.

I don't know what kinda "Flash" to expect from a show or Movie ...

Well, basically you have to nerf him from the jump. Have him be abnormally fast, then super fast, then what he basically is now. It's the only way to make things compelling. There has to be some progression to how to learns to use his abilities.

And it would make sense, learning how to use his powers in new ways over time. A lot of what the Flash can do is based of his imagination and willingness to push the envelope with his abilities. You could give someone his powers, but not many people would think to vibrate their molecules to pass through objects. You start with him being able to run across the city in a couple minutes, you end with him being able to run around the world in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom