• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 to air in July 2016, new trailer (DR1+2 SPOILERS)

FluxWaveZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV37QdQGaZk

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak will air in July 2016.

Via Reddit:
The anime is going to be split in to two parts, 'hope' and 'despair'. Hope is what's been shown already which is Dangan Ronpa 3, and despair is a prequel which shows how Hajime and co fell under Junko's sway, and became Ultimate Despairs.

Zd772YP.jpg

The trailer didn't show all that much unfortunately, but the idea of having two distinct parts to the anime is intriguing. Hopefully it's all paced well.

Famitsu link

Edit: As stated above, the anime is divided into two parts: "Future" for the Danganronpa 1 cast in Future Foundation, and "Despair" for the prequel story following the Danganronpa 2 cast. It's unclear just how the parts will be divided (if they're two separate shows, part of the same show or what).

More information on the "Despair" part will be included in Weekly Famitsu magazine on March 31, 2016.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hell yes, I was really hoping Another Episode would go more into the DR2 cast & what happened to them before the events of the game, but this will do nicely.

Though fat Togami's face looks.....a bit more girlier than in the game. Edit: Oh wait, (DR2 spoilers):
it could just be the imitator's disguise before taking on the role of Togami, I didn't think of that.

Well shit, I'll take an SDR2 prequel over a straight SDR2 anime adaptation any day. Now it really does feel like they're gonna tie up everything in the 'Hope's Peak Trilogy'. Hopefully it's at least split cours, with 12/13 episodes airing Summer 2016, and the other 12/13 in the Winter 2017 season.

GSR

lol at Kodaka on Twitter

I guess I caused a bit of a stir when I said I wasn't going to do anything more with the DR2 characters... I was lying. Sorry. But I was serious when I said it couldn't be something half-hearted, and that it would have to be a story starting fresh. That's what lead to Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy: Despair Edition.

GSR

By the way, although the DR3 anime is going to be "made up of these two parts", only the "Future Part" (with Naegi and co., taking place after DR2) is confirmed for a July start. Sounds more like these'll be basically separate rather than interleaved or something.

NHL94

Banned
Wait im confused. How does this series go?

I just finished Danganronpa 1 and will play 2 when its on Steam, is this an anime on a 3rd game? There is a 3rd game? Can someone explain the series timeline please?

TP

Hell yes, I was really hoping Another Episode would go more into the DR2 cast & what happened to them before the events of the game, but this will do nicely.

Though fat Togami's face looks.....a bit more girlier than in the game. Edit: Oh wait, (DR2 spoilers):
it could just be the imitator's disguise before taking on the role of Togami, I didn't think of that.

I was going to make a similar comment
It does make sense, some of the other characters look different too

like Nagito's shorter hair

Right now i'm actually glad this is an anime
it'll actually be available in english pretty quickly

Corpekata

Banned

I just finished Danganronpa 1 and will play 2 when its on Steam, is this an anime on a 3rd game? There is a 3rd game? Can someone explain the series timeline please?

3 is the conclusion to 1 and 2. It's an anime

It's getting a game called Danganronpa V3 which is supposed to be sort of stand alone and not tied into the previous stories.

Thoraxes

Instead of a third game in the Hope's Peak Trilogy (which contains the games Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair), they are making an anime to conclude that series, Called Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak.

New Danganronpa V3 is a new video game title in the series, presumably not related to Hope's Peak anything, iirc.

FluxWaveZ

Chronological events:

0. Danganronpa 0 = Light Novel
1. Danganronpa 1 = Game
2. Danganronpa: Another Episode = Game
3. Danganronpa 2 = Game
4. Danganronpa 3 = Anime

Danganronpa V3 is the upcoming next game, which will take place at an unknown period of time for now.

GSR

Chronologically:
DR1 (game, on Steam)
DR Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (game, currently Vita exclusive)
DR3: Despair (anime, air date TBA)
DR2 (game, will be on Steam)
DR3: Future (anime, to air in July)

And then there's a third game, New Danganronpa V3, which is a new storyline and is only confirmed for PS4/Vita at this point and isn't out yet.

Worth noting that DR1 and DR2 were the first two entries in the series, so just playing those two in order you'll be fine in understanding the main story for them.

Zareka

I was about to lament the fact that DR2 involvement would mean more Chiaki, but I now notice a distinct lack of her in that cast shot. Could it be? Have we gotten the perfect outcome, with more DR2 but no Chiaki?
She'll show up in some form I'm sure. Unfortunately.
it won't be junk...

it'll be...

Junko.

I'll see myself out
I should have saw this coming. I'm not proud I didn't catch that, not one bit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
it'll actually be available in english pretty quickly
While I haven't seen it & can't comment on the quality, the Funimation dub (which was released like a year or two after they released the sub version) had NONE of the game voice actors return, save for Makoto's VA (Papenbrook) since he already does voice work for anime.

I can't imagine Funimation would be able to get any of the DR2 cast (& for the returning DR1 cast, just get the same people they got previously for the DR1 adaptation), save for Nagito due to being voiced by the same VA as Makoto.

TP

Dub hadn't even occurred to me, even though I play the games dubbed

iirc the DGR1 anime is on crunchyroll so subbed simulcast is a possibility right?
I have no idea how these thing work these days

Zareka

While I haven't seen it & can't comment on the quality, the Funimation dub (which was released like a year or two after they released the sub version) had NONE of the game voice actors return, save for Makoto's VA (Papenbrook) since he already does voice work for anime.

I used to get pretty worked up about this but apparently Funi had already decided on the cast, and possibly even recorded the VA, before we knew about the games dubbing? And they postponed the announcement/release by a year or something when the game got announced. I remember reading something like that anyway. My hope is that NISA get to dub this real quick like since it's not an adaption of an already existing game or anything. Failing that, hopefully Funimation goes out their way to get the original cast back.

Jintor

I was about to lament the fact that DR2 involvement would mean more Chiaki, but I now notice a distinct lack of her in that cast shot. Could it be? Have we gotten the perfect outcome, with more DR2 but no Chiaki?

Well
she doesn't exist right? She's an amalgamation of two things that won't exist until after DR1.

Pretty cool that they're doing this in 2 parts. I'm hoping it's not 12-13 episodes split in half. The end of that trailer... Can't wait to see things unfold.

Also, hopefully NISA dubs this. Vastly preferred their dub to Funi's, although Funi would probably have a quicker turnaround/simulcast.

Don't forget, she's an AI. She may show up at some point, but she won't be the focus during the prequel.

Isn't the first part called 'Future'(mirai) not hope? Also, who is that at the end?

She's in the part of the story that continues from where DR2 leaves off (edit, the mirai portion of the anime):

From left to right, shown are:

Kouichi Kizakura (male with hat)
Seiko Kimura (female with mouth covered)
Great Gozu (wearing bull mask)
Sounosuke Izayoi (male wearing red jacket)
Ruruka Andou (female wearing pink jacket)
Juuzou Sakakura (male wearing furry hooded jacket)
Ryouta Mitarai (male wearing suit)
Miaya Gekkougahara (female with red scarf)
Kyousuke Munakata (male in white suit)
Kazuo Tengan (old man in detective attire)
Chisa Yukizome (female in lab coat)
[Returning] Yasuhiro Hagakure (male with crystal ball)
[Returning] Makoto Naegi (male in suit)
[Returning] Kyoko Kirigiri (female with short skirt)
[Returning] Aoi Asahina (female with suit/short shorts combination)
Daisaku Bandai (male with afro)

(Thanks Gematsu)

Gradon

I want to watch this dubbed but I know I won't be able to wait. I disliked Funimations dub, but if it's true they recorded the anime before the games dub then maybe they'll get the game voice actors to reprise their role. They were able to collect (almost) everyone for the Neptunia dub.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Instead of a third game in the Hope's Peak Trilogy (which contains the games Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair), they are making an anime to conclude that series, Called Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak.

New Danganronpa V3 is a new video game title in the series, presumably not related to Hope's Peak anything, iirc.
WAIT WTF WHY

FluxWaveZ

WAIT WTF WHY

Kodaka:
  • They were originally going to make an anime adaptation of DR2.
  • If DR3 was going to be a game, they wanted to include class trials, but the thought of putting the Hope's Peak sudents through another round of mutual killing was a bit too strained/painful. So they decided to finish things as an anime.
  • DR3 takes place immediately after DR2. [Sounds like there's actually no time skip]
  • They believe DR3 tells a story that can only be told through anime.
  • There are elements of suspense like in the games, but it's not as much about the deductions and reasoning.

Alfredo

Man, the trailer is all like "look at all this awesome art from Danganronpa 1 and 2! Now check out this ugly anime art!"

Hopefully the animation is decent...

But I'm super hyped to see more of the DR2 characters.

FluxWaveZ

I think this date also kind of soft confirms that Danganronpa V3 will be releasing in Q4 2016, though that was probably to be expected.

Drago

Holy shit, Danganronpa 2 prequel! :0

I can't wait for this. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint. July is so far away...

Croc

Banned
yooo Nekomaru's bulge in that pic 👀

anyways pretty cool we're seeing more of D2 characters. I really liked a lot of them even more than D1 characters so I'm glad they weren't just done with them after 2.

I'm also glad they're doing an anime for this. I was afraid if they did a third game the story would revolve too much around trying to fit it into the progress of the first two with a killing trip thing. That would have been way too stale to do a third time in the same storyline like that.

After coming to terms with the conclusion of this story being done through an anime, I'm actually pretty stoked about it. It would probably be worse to have it be in a game since having another game about class trials would just be ridiculous from a narrative standpoint.

Having the 3rd main game in the series be a completely new story allows the series to refresh itself and maybe even become more expandable if the writers do well enough. The problem with the Hope's Peak story is that there really isn't much room for sequels. They had to really strain themselves just to make DR2 work.

Thanks.

But wow, what a weak PR response =/.

They're being candid about this. Can you really make another class trial game within the same story without making it seem forced? I suppose it's the writer's fault for it turning out this way, but I get the feeling that they never intended to make any sequels to the first game, which is why expanding on that story is so difficult.

Top Bottom