• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 to air in July 2016, new trailer (DR1+2 SPOILERS)

If they go down this route, I really hope that they do a two-cour. But then that would mean only 11-13 episodes for each arc... Nonetheless, I'm in.

Such great news..
I'm not sure i'll be ready for seeing my favorite characters being converted left or right by junko and becomes despair version of themselves but i'll take it.

I want to watch this dubbed but I know I won't be able to wait. I disliked Funimations dub, but if it's true they recorded the anime before the games dub then maybe they'll get the game voice actors to reprise their role. They were able to collect (almost) everyone for the Neptunia dub.

I preferred the dub, but I'll watch this subbed as it's released. I won't be able to wait for a the official release, lol. I'll definitely buy it whenever Funi/NISA releases a DVD/Blu-Ray dub.

That's interesting to hear about the Neptunia dub. If Funi does end up getting this, hopefully they can get the game VAs.

Hmm, I wonder if they touch on the ending of DR2 (spoiler)
and maybe bringing back some of the students even if they died in VR

I am excited about this and apprehensive. Considering its being called the end of the Hopes Peak saga I am worried about how its going to end as I like those characters.

First of all, fuck you Kodaka for that chain of tweets the other day.

(Open spoilers for DR1 and DR2 as the thread clearly indicates that.)

I'm still waiting for a subbed trailer, so I'm not quite sure what to make from the Future arc of the new anime. The fact that they talk about the mutual killings at Hope's Peak and Jabberwock and then they go through the new characters heavily implies a new killing game. Although I'm dissapointed that we didn't get any animation from the new PV.

Now then, the surprising part was definitively the whole DR2 prequel. I wasn't expecting Kodaka to finally reveal the creation of Ultimate Despair, so I'm looking forward to Junko going all (DRAE spoilers)
Monaca on the poor guys
. Now then, looking at Hajime, it seems like this is located before the Hope Cultivation Project started, (DR0 spoilers)
so it is possible that we get confirmation that Matsuda was directly involved with the creation of Kamukura, and the possibbility that Junko got her info from him. Also, considering that Izuru fell into despair around the time of the incident with the Student Council, we may get a glipse of that

And finally, that scientist lady at the end felt mighty suspicious. I can't help but think that she may have a relationship with Junko.

It'll be interesting to see the DR2 cast falling into despair. Though I'm curious if it will depict anything from Danganronpa Zero, such as
the first killing game with Izuru and the student council.

lol at Kodaka on Twitter

fan translation by
http://kazarinn.tumblr.com/post/141697084107/kazutaka-kodaka-kazkodaka-im-very-sorry-for

Kazutaka Kodaka (@kazkodaka)

I’m very sorry for causing all of this trouble. I said that I wasn’t going to write about the 2 characters anymore, but…that was a lie. But I was telling the truth when I said “I don’t want to write them in a half-hearted manner” and “I can’t just rebuild it from zero as a completely different work”. So because of that, we’ve prepared Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy -Despair Arc-.

Featuring the Super Danganronpa 2 characters, it’ll tell the story of Hope’s Peak Academy that led up to the Worst, Most Despair-Inducing Incident in the History of Mankind. It’ll be a difficult, painful, and time-consuming story to make, but now that I’ve declared this to be the final chapter there’s no way around it. I’ll do it. Please let me do it!

It’ll be difficult since it’s an original story that takes place in the past. But because it’s going to be in an anime and not in a game, we’ll be able to put things that fans of 2 want to see and know in it that can be done specifically because it’s an anime. So considering that, I think it’ll be in this way that everyone will be pleased with through this thorny road.

So there are two Danganronpa 3s. As for how the Future Arc and Despair Arc will be related, and what kind of story it’ll turn out to be, please look forward to it. Since it’ll be an anime and not a game, the anime staff with Director Kishi as supervisor, along with the Danganronpa staff, are all fired up so that we can please all the fans of Danganronpa.

I’ve got a ton of work on my plate doing the scenario draft and overall supervision, but there’s even more in store for Director Kishi and the staff at Lerche. There’s Umiho-san, the series configuration writer, not to mention all the writers without whom we wouldn’t have been able to take on this reckless challenge. It’s in response to my huge, selfish demands, so I think it’ll become quite a huge work.

I apologize to everyone I worried with my tweets the other day. I was feeling up to being a little mischievous and showing off the amplitude between despair and hope. A mischievous heart is the driving force between the things I make, but it’s not good to lie. I’m fine with getting comments like “what a horrible prank, Kodaka” or “I like what he makes, but he’s a bad person” until you’re satisfied.

It’s a little embarrassing being caught in the act doing this outside the actual work. But of course, since there’s more where that came from with surprises and a mischievous heart in the actual work, please let me take on the new work. I promise it’ll mess with your head.

Of course, the game New Danganronpa V3 is also something we’re deep in production for. The staff is doing their best to make it the best game with the best mysteries. And as far as I’m concerned the anime is my priority, but please make sure to check out the Danganronpa stage play this year!

So, because I still have to bear the guilt of making everyone angry at me, I’m going to the Shinjuku Cabaret Club like a dragon*…no, like a scared rabbit. Goodbye.

the trolling mastermind

OnFire331

I think I'm actually more interested in (DR2 spoilers)
how the DR2 cast became the Ultimate Despairs than how the story arc actually ends.

cj_iwakura

I think I'm actually more interested in (DR2 spoilers)
how the DR2 cast became the Ultimate Despairs than how the story arc actually ends.

Agreed. Some aren't surprising, but then you have ones like the Ultimate Princess, and it's pretty hard to imagine(if not terrifying).

GoldStarz

Agreed. Some aren't surprising, but then you have ones like the Ultimate Princess, and it's pretty hard to imagine(if not terrifying).

The one that's always dumbfounded me in Nekomaru to be honest, he's always the one I had to completely bullshit for when thinking up reasons

Played DR1, been sitting on DR2 for a while and have yet to start it. (I'm keeping my eyes half-covered in here.) Hearing that what is effectively the final entry in that line will be an anime instead of a game kind of makes it seem less likely that I'll ever start DR2, lol.

I wonder what it'll be like. I really hated the DR1 anime adaptation but I guess doing an original show would hopefully feel much more fleshed out and less like a YouTube cutscene compilation.

Squire

Banned
First of all, fuck you Kodaka for that chain of tweets the other day.

(Open spoilers for DR1 and DR2 as the thread clearly indicates that.)

I'm still waiting for a subbed trailer, so I'm not quite sure what to make from the Future arc of the new anime. The fact that they talk about the mutual killings at Hope's Peak and Jabberwock and then they go through the new characters heavily implies a new killing game. Although I'm dissapointed that we didn't get any animation from the new PV.

Now then, the surprising part was definitively the whole DR2 prequel. I wasn't expecting Kodaka to finally reveal the creation of Ultimate Despair, so I'm looking forward to Junko going all (DRAE spoilers)
Monaca on the poor guys
. Now then, looking at Hajime, it seems like this is located before the Hope Cultivation Project started, (DR0 spoilers)
so it is possible that we get confirmation that Matsuda was directly involved with the creation of Kamukura, and the possibbility that Junko got her info from him. Also, considering that Izuru fell into despair around the time of the incident with the Student Council, we may get a glipse of that

And finally, that scientist lady at the end felt mighty suspicious. I can't help but think that she may have a relationship with Junko.

But of course whatever it is will not be as simple as it seems.

Just them throwing her in at the end there is suspicious on a meta level. Could be nothing at all.

I found this translation of what girl said at the end of the trailer:

Yukizome Chisa’s lines:

tumblr_inline_o4mk1rVJAd1sm64oj_400.png

“Huh, what am I doing here? I’m more of a SHSL Maid. Ehehe, well then, see you soon!”

javadoze

I know my one hope for the future anime and new game is a pretty tall order, but...

(general series spoilers)

...please... no more Junkos.

FluxWaveZ

I know my one hope for the future anime and new game is a pretty tall order, but...

(general series spoilers)

...please... no more Junkos.

At this point, I really doubt that character will be in V3. However, they may have a part in even the "Future" part of Danganronpa 3. It seems that there will be some kind of killing game as a set-up, and something pretty messed up would have had to happen for the Future Foundation members to end up having to kill each other.

Chronologically:
DR1 (game, on Steam)
DR Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (game, currently Vita exclusive)
DR3: Despair (anime, air date TBA)
DR2 (game, will be on Steam)
DR3: Future (anime, to air in July)

And then there's a third game, New Danganronpa V3, which is a new storyline and is only confirmed for PS4/Vita at this point and isn't out yet.

Worth noting that DR1 and DR2 were the first two entries in the series, so just playing those two in order you'll be fine in understanding the main story for them.

Shouldn't DR3 Despair actually be before/during DR1?

Although it's still best to play it in release order since the plot were written that way to build on each successive game.

It just occurred to me that the Future Foundation part of the DGR3 anime might be a collegiate/workplace mutual killing given that everyone is in suits. That would probably be fun for the jokes alone.

I kind of hope the SDGR2 part is almost anthology-esque in presentation, which each character's story playing out over the course of individual episodes before it wraps up by focusing on you-know-who and their preparation for Despair Girls and SDGR2

Nightbird

Wow, does that mean that D3: Despair is going to include
How some of them added Junkos body parts to their own body?
O.O

Wouldn't this be a little hardcore for an Anime?

GoldStarz

O.O

The anime is said to go only to the Incident, so it'll presumably cut off before any
dismemberment
occurs.

FluxWaveZ

O.O

No, because that would be after DR1. This is a prequel story about how they came into Despair, and
Junko
was the direct impetus for each of them.

Feltrol

Banned
Like Zero Escape 3 (Zero Time Dilemma), has anything been said about Danganronpa 3 being last one of the series?

FluxWaveZ

Like Zero Escape 3 (Zero Time Dilemma), has anything been said about Danganronpa 3 being last one of the series?

There is an upcoming game called Danganronpa V3 that is slated for a 2016 release, and it will very likely launch after the anime. So no, DR3 is already not the last work in the series, and V3 has not been stated to be either. Additionally, they formed "Team Danganronpa" as a sub-development team at the company, so that would imply future projects in the series as well.

Danganronpa 3 will end the current Hope's Peak Academy saga. New Danganronpa V3 is supposed to start a new, separate story.

They just formed "Team Danganronpa" at Spike Chunsoft, so unless V3 totally bombs the series probably isn't ending yet.

MSMrRound

Quite excited that they are going for the Despair volume. Kaz really got me..I was like hmm...still got some more time remaining for this trailer..are they going to show us scenes from this anime? When suddenly all those familiar faces started popping up..

why the hell are we spoiler tagging stuff when the title clearly says spoilers, someone new coming in this thread and seeing DR2 characters being called ultimate despairs is THE spoiler of the game, you already fucked up by that point

NHL94

Banned
3 is the conclusion to 1 and 2. It's an anime

It's getting a game called Danganronpa V3 which is supposed to be sort of stand alone and not tied into the previous stories.

Instead of a third game in the Hope's Peak Trilogy (which contains the games Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair), they are making an anime to conclude that series, Called Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak.

New Danganronpa V3 is a new video game title in the series, presumably not related to Hope's Peak anything, iirc.

Chronological events:

0. Danganronpa 0 = Light Novel
1. Danganronpa 1 = Game
2. Danganronpa: Another Episode = Game
3. Danganronpa 2 = Game
4. Danganronpa 3 = Anime

Danganronpa V3 is the upcoming next game, which will take place at an unknown period of time for now.

Chronologically:
DR1 (game, on Steam)

And then there's a third game, New Danganronpa V3, which is a new storyline and is only confirmed for PS4/Vita at this point and isn't out yet.

Worth noting that DR1 and DR2 were the first two entries in the series, so just playing those two in order you'll be fine in understanding the main story for them.

O_O

Ok, I am kind of an idiot. So yall telling me I need to read the light novel before I play Dangonronpa 2, then play the side game, Despair girls after D2 ? Then follow up with this new announced D3 anime? Im sorry if I got it wrong. Honestly I am not very smart with simple shit. Im sorry.

Corpekata

Banned
O_O

Ok, I am kind of an idiot. So yall telling me I need to read the light novel before I play Dangonronpa 2, then play the side game, Despair girls after D2 ? Then follow up with this new announced D3 anime? Im sorry if I got it wrong. Honestly I am not very smart with simple shit. Im sorry.

No, most of the side stuff can be ignored, it's only for big fans. Some of it doesn't even have official English translations. Despair Girls is a turd in general.

Just play D1, D2, and watch the D3 anime. If you really like the stuff, go check out the other material.

Zakard

Chronologically:
DR1 (game, on Steam)

So two anime and one new game which appears to be unrelated to the story. Makes me a bit sad, but I will give the anime a shot. Isn't it a bit odd that the date of DR3: Future is already out and the prequel to DR2 is still TBA? Shouldnt it be the other way around?

Sölf

I am hyped. I like the idea that we get two arcs, but if both are in one show and it only gets one cour, I am REALLY concerned about the pacing. The DR1 anime had 13 episodes and that was barely enough to tell the story, including severe cuts. I just hope we either get 2 anime, an anime and a OVA, it's a 2-cour or they have a REALLY good plan for the pacing.

So two anime and one new game which appears to be unrelated to the story. Makes me a bit sad, but I will give the anime a shot. Isn't it a bit odd that the date of DR3: Future is already out and the prequel to DR2 is still TBA? Shouldnt it be the other way around?

Not if Future is airing first. And personally I'm a lot more interested to learn what happened to the SDGR2 cast that led them to where they were at the "beginning" of that game than I am to find out what happened with Naegi's weird team of MIBs, and I imagine a lot of people share that sentiment, so it is likely a case of saving the most anticipated for last.

I was about to lament the fact that DR2 involvement would mean more Chiaki, but I now notice a distinct lack of her in that cast shot. Could it be? Have we gotten the perfect outcome, with more DR2 but no Chiaki?
She'll show up in some form I'm sure. Unfortunately.

That'd be the worst possible outcome.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think that the best way to experience the entire series is to play it in the original release order:

-Danganronpa 1(psp,vita,steam, don't watch the anime)
-Danganronpa 0(novel, spoils DR1)
-Danganronpa 2(psp,vita,steam)
-Danganronpa Another Episode(vita, set between DR1 and DR2)
-Danganronpa 3 part 1 & 2
-Danganonpa V3.

Top Bottom