• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayDat

Copped it off Amazon earlier. I want to wait until I can really give the attention it seems to deserve so the earliest I'll be able to listen is Thursday.

I don't remember there being this much excitement around Old. Interested in what the first week sales numbers are gonna look like. That could have been the reason they decided to drop it early.

Never been a fan of Dannys delivery but this thing grabbed me first listen. Crazy producton and preformances from danny. Earls verse is HOT too. One of the best of the year for sure--and that's really saying somthing considering how unbelievable this year has been.

Jocund

Is DG like the go-to reference for beats that are even a little unorthodox? This doesn't sound like anything they've produced.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is DG like the go-to reference for beats that are even a little unorthodox? This doesn't sound like anything they've produced.
Well it sort of does. Like they deconstructed a DG track to two to three stems and said GO!

Thewonandonly

Damn it's pretty hot so far :) really doe is the last song I listened to and holy shit that was incredible :O

Good 3 months of hip hop coming up with this and hopefully RTJ3 whenever that releases :) now let's see Kanye drop the turbo graphix 32 or whatever the hell it is :)

YaBish

Holy crap, I've never really listened to his music before, but he's literally going to be 2 miles from me tomorrow night... Such a weird coincidence since I just popped into this topic for the first time.

Might be worth checking out.

Edit: What the hell, why have I not dug into this dude's stuff before? Now I've gotta pull some people together to go see this.

robotrock

Banned
Holy crap, I've never really listened to his music before, but he's literally going to be 2 miles from me tomorrow night... Such a weird coincidence since I just popped into this topic for the first time.

100% worth checking out. He puts on a great show.

You should go. When I bought my ticket for his NYC show, it came with free downloads of the singles and the album itself today morning. I don't know if the deal will be still be running now, but for $30-ish to see Danny and get the album free was a pretty good deal.

robotrock

Banned
You should go. When I bought my ticket for his NYC show, it came with free downloads of the singles and the album itself today morning. I don't know if the deal will be still be running now, but for $30-ish to see Danny and get the album free was a pretty good deal.

How did you redeem that? My tickets apparently came with that offer too but I don't see a download in my email

mooooose

One of my favorite listens of the year. Danny is still one of my favorite lyricists and the beats are the best he's had. The listen flies by too as it's his shortest project yet, which isn't a bad thing. I think brevity in his songs has always been a strength and his albums usually have too many songs. This one still has some I haven't gotten into, but that might not mean they're bad. Really little time wasted on here.

Though I haven't deviated much into soundcloud/bandcamp territory this year yet, I think this is one of my favorites.

How did you redeem that? My tickets apparently came with that offer too but I don't see a download in my email

I just got an email from MusicRedemptions.com. Clicked the link and it downloaded the zip directly to my computer.
Man wish I could go to him in Utah but none of my friends like Danny :(
Why deny yourself the chance to see him live just because your friends don't want to go? Go by yourself and have fun, instead of wishing you went and being sad/bored/melancholy.

Thewonandonly

I just got an email from MusicRedemptions.com. Clicked the link and it downloaded the zip directly to my computer.

Why deny yourself the chance to see him live just because your friends don't want to go? Go by yourself and have fun, instead of wishing you went and being sad/bored/melancholy.
Well I've never been to a concert before so I don't know how it will be if my first one is buy myself haha but Mabye because I really want to see him live

Well I've never been to a concert before so I don't know how it will be if my first one is buy myself haha but Mabye because I really want to see him live

Really? Never? Well, if you do go see him, have fun. His live shows are a blast. And honestly, don't let the social stigma weigh you down when it comes to doing things alone. As long as you'll have fun, you shouldn't give a shit about what other people will think about you being alone. Hell, they won't even care because they'll be having fun as well. I go to pretty much all of my concerts alone and I have a blast at every single one of them.

Thewonandonly

Really? Never? Well, if you do go see him, have fun. His live shows are a blast. And honestly, don't let the social stigma weigh you down when it comes to doing things alone. As long as you'll have fun, you shouldn't give a shit about what other people will think about you being alone. Hell, they won't even care because they'll be having fun as well. I go to pretty much all of my concerts alone and I have a blast at every single one of them.
Really I will most likely go then. Just need to get some money for it now ;) haha

Get Hi is an experience, beat makes me feel like I'm floating

Loving Get Hi. Aside from Pneumonia and Really Doe, really digging Downward Spiral, Rolling Stone, Tell Me What I Don't Know, White Lines, Ain't it Funny, Today, and Get Hi.

Listening through for a third time, I know I'll be adding to that list, haha. Ain't it Funny is pretty fucking fun. Gawd, I'm gonna have to see him when he's here in Austin on Oct 23rd, aren't I? I feel like it would be a damned good show. I saw him at Pitchfork but that's HUGE of course, not the same as a smaller venue.

This album is amazing. Agreeing with those saying this is his best. The production really syncs with his voice and style. Really like Ain't it Funny and Rolling Stone plus all the singles.

The beat in Hell for It sounds like a track from FTL. Works so well.

NinjaBoiX

I like the production and he has decent flow but fuck his stupid vocal style is horrendous.

Like, he sounds like a cartoon character or something, just awful.

I can't get past it unfortunately.

PlayDat

Finished my first listen a few minutes ago. It was all new to me. I avoided all the singles that came out. I don't like making snap judgements with music so all I'll say for now is that it left a positive first impression.

I was really surprised to hear
Schoolboy Q
on Pneumonia.
Tookie Knows was the first time I really recognized the strength of his adlib game

Edit: What the hell, why have I not dug into this dude's stuff before? Now I've gotta pull some people together to go see this.

You really ought to listen to his 2011 album XXX if you haven't already.

It's the downward spiral
got me suicidal
but too scared to do it so these pills'll be the rifle

Moonkid

Opening track's beat reminds me of some of the ambient music from Hotline Miami 2. Danny Brown would probably fit right in to that crazy world now that I think about it.

LionPride

Banned
Having never really listened to Danny Brown in the past I was not prepared for what I got. Downward Spiral had me shook, but everything after was something I enjoyed. Music isn't supposed to sound like that

This album is bonkers. This bodies Old which fell off a cliff on the second half with its similar, redundant sequencing.

This shit is wild. Danny back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom