• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-phonk

Banned
Haven't seen anyone talking about Today, it's on of the stand out tracks for me.
Really like that mysterious synth sound

SJRB

Gold Member
Was kinda iffy the first time, but it really gets better everytime I listen. The pacing is excellent as well.

Quite the departure from XXX and One, especially in terms of production. But a really, really cool album.

Jocund

I would disagree that this project is a departure from the sound Danny had in XXX. If anything, it's an evolution.

Amaaaaaaazing album!

Dominator

This shit is the best thing to drop this year. The only song I don't really enjoy is Get-Hi but I don't even hate that one, its still solid. The rest is just incredible.

The only thing I can see topping this for me is RTJ3.

Was always put off by his high pitched delivery though his flow was great. But it comes together with this production and makes sense to me finally. Amazing record.

katkombat

Banned
Saw Danny the night he early released this album... 10/10 album 10/10 show.

This album is what I hoped for and so much more. Album of the year imo.

wait....what?

Don't want to really derail, I just can't stand the guy anymore. Google his name and gamergate, you'll find him being praised in places like KiA, a hotspot for that garbage. He's done things like attack Anita Sarkeesian, saying she's not a gamer and is just creating controversy to make money. Same rhetoric as gamergate which has gained him some fans from the group (to ironically profit off of).

SJRB

Gold Member
Week later, still thoroughly enjoying the album. I've listened to it every day. Weakest track is Dance In The Water because of how utterly repetitive it is, it gets on my nerves every single time.

But overall the quality is top-notch. Pneumonia is still the #1 banger on the album, Danny was right releasing this track first. Hell For It is kinda tucked away as the final track but it's so fucking good.

Finally got around to listening to this. Fuck, dudes. Album is visceral as hell.

Ain't it funny is
45211286.cms

Bought the CD earlier this week and have been giving it repeated listenings in the car

Lyrically and beat-wise XXX crushes this album.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone going to an upcoming show that could snag me the LP set they're selling there? Will pay shipping. PM for deets.

DeSo

Banned
Been so into this album lately. It's fucking ridiculous, easily the best hip hop album of 2016. Why didn't it get much attention? Danny's voice? Not enough drums and bass? Too "experimental" for hip hop? It definitely requires a couple of listens to really appreciate.

Rogan

Banned
Been so into this album lately. It's fucking ridiculous, easily the best hip hop album of 2016. Why didn't it get much attention? Danny's voice? Not enough drums and bass? Too "experimental" for hip hop? It definitely requires a couple of listens to really appreciate.
I guess his voice yeah. My friends hate his music because of it.

Helmholtz

It's very grating to listen to, between his voice and the wild experimental beats. Very artistic and daring for sure, but not really for casual listening. I would never throw this on at a gathering but I would maybe listen to it at night on my own with headphones if I'm in the mood. This type of album is never really going to be huge.

DeSo

Banned
It's very grating to listen to, between his voice and the wild experimental beats. Very artistic and daring for sure, but not really for casual listening. I would never throw this on at a gathering but I would maybe listen to it at night on my own with headphones if I'm in the mood. This type of album is never really going to be huge.
"Grating" to listen to. I get where you're coming from but I don't think that's the right word. It's incredibly deep and rewarding to listen to, shouldn't that promote discussion? Are "bangers" a requirement these days?

Helmholtz

"Grating" to listen to. I get where you're coming from but I don't think that's the right word. It's incredibly deep and rewarding to listen to, shouldn't that promote discussion? Are "bangers" a requirement these days?
Yeah maybe the wrong word, and I wasn't necessarily talking about bangers. I was just trying to say that the sound is very different to most modern hip hop releases and as a result a lot of people aren't going to be into it. Also the subject matter and dark vibes that permeate this album make it a more challenging listen, not something you'd put on at a gathering or even play in the car necessarily. For me personally, I've only listened to AE a few times because I don't find myself in the mood or mindset to tackle listening to it on a regular basis. I think it's a pretty cool album though, just because I don't want to listen to it often doesn't make it bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom