• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Import OT] Kindle the fire, one last time

Cruxist

Alright, I'm out. I jumped into a stream and saw some amazing things. But I really want to git gud on my own. For all of those braving the depths tomorrow, good luck. You will be the pioneers I turn to once it's time to make a legit pvp build.

I'm incredibly pissed that we have to wait an extra two weeks for this, and seemingly for no reason since streamers get to download English versions already.

My girlfriend goes on holiday next week, so I could have had a week of uninterrupted time with it, but no, it comes out a few days after she returns.

I'm feelin with you.. who likes sex anyways?

Dark Souls 3 > social life

/s

Ferr986

Are people here catching on that there is hitbox fuckery with huge monsters in a souls game? You can deny all you want but every souls game will have worse examples than the thing you are currently having a breackdown over. I can make a thread about shitty hitboxes for any one of the games and i will find support in shitting on the games hitbox with plenty of people finding faults like those for every game in the series.

This is what I have been saying in every DS2 bash thread but people lived in a bizarro world where they assumed that hitbox issues (especially with grabs attacks) didn't exist in DS1 somehow

Aces&Eights

So how exactly are steamers getting English versions? Do you have to be a big name and contact them directly or something? I'll deal with the Japanese version but id love to get am English one if I could.

Sanctuary

This is what I have been saying in every DS2 bash thread but people lived in a bizarro world where they assumed that hitbox issues (especially with grabs attacks) didn't exist in DS1 somehow

I've literally been called "stupid" by some self-proclaimed experts here for saying that it took a game like Bloodborne to make me appreciate Dark Souls 2 even more than I did previously. Every game has had hitbox/hurtbox problems, but they really seem to have gotten worse with each new game. Partially due to the rolling mechanics that were able to hide some of the more problematic issues in the first two games, and partially because of the game speed adjustments.

As each game gets seemingly more ambitious in one area compared to another, it seems like the actual programming and testing suffers more.

convo

I've literally been called "stupid" by some self-proclaimed experts here for saying that it took a game like Bloodborne to make me appreciate Dark Souls 2 even more than I did previously. Every game has had hitbox/hurtbox problems, but they really seem to have gotten worse with each new game. Partially due to the rolling mechanics that were able to hide some of the more problematic issues in the first two games, and partially because of the game speed adjustments.

You will find a lot of people not being fond of DS2 hitboxes. Might even say the worst, but every guy has a different opinion on every game that discussion is futile most of the time.

Sanctuary

Still trying to decide between playing a Sorcerer or Pyro first run, pretty difficult to pick.

Just flip a coin. Or just decide if you want to focus more on magic than being a hybrid.

You will find a lot of people not being fond of DS2 hitboxes. Might even say the worst, but every guy has a different opinion on every game that discussion is futile most of the time.

Now. It wasn't like this during the first few weeks however. A lot of people either didn't progress far enough into the game to actually give an experienced opinion, or they simply didn't notice the issues in front of them. My point anyway was that all of the "B team" nonsense was shown to be completely wrong in regards to the hitboxes when Bloodborne had just as many problems for the amount of content it had comparatively. It's not like FROM simply keeps each person in any given team secluded to one game at a time anyway, or that the Dark Souls 2 team didn't have anyone from Dark Souls working on it. Similarly with Bloodborne and now Dark Souls 3. They aren't Bioware or Ubisoft.

purg3

slept with Malkin
So how exactly are steamers getting English versions? Do you have to be a big name and contact them directly or something? I'll deal with the Japanese version but id love to get am English one if I could.

seems like it's the same group of streamers/souls community people that got invited to the press event. It's basically free publicity and advertising for Bamco to get people hyped.

idonteven

seems like it's the same group of streamers/souls community people that got invited to the press event. It's basically free publicity and advertising for Bamco to get people hyped.

spamfish got the game to and he isnt really a big streamer...he begs a lot tho :p

Looking at the gif about the framerate, seems like the drops you get on BB when the game loads a new area.

And I was worried people would call bad hitboxes weapon shockwaves, and here we are.

Anyway, not watching anything else: 20 hours to go.

Skatterd

I think I can safely skip Dark Souls 2. Agree? Disagree?

I'll probably be the odd person out and disagree. It has its failings, but I have far more hours on it than any of the other Souls games.

Also just a thought...some of the framerate failings may be due to streaming? I know I have problems when I stream from the PS4 interface.

tcrunch

I'venever played any of the Souls games but loved Bloodborne. Would I need to play 1 and 2 to enjoy this?

Nope, though there's probably going to be some cheesy references.

I did put together a background overview for the first two games meant for newcomers a little bit ago. It won't tell you fancy details like the Four Knights of Gwyn are _______, _________, ________, and ________ and that the queen of sunlight is an ____________ but hopefully it helps gives an intro of setting and themes.

Needlecrash

Yea basically. If your name isn't Oroborous, ENB or VaatiVidya, you're shit out of luck. They can stream the whole game but they can't play no more than a 1/3 of the game or something like that. Makes me salty because the game is actually done and Bamco is just holding out for Marketing purposes. Fuckers.

rdytoroll

There are again some really weird slowdowns in this new stream. And it happens even in the starting regions. this is weird af, there wasnt such a problem in the pre-release videos

ironcreed

Banned
it's been pretty bad in every stream I saw.

I guess it just depends on the location. It looks okay so far here, but the one I was watching earlier was jittery almost at all times.

EDIT: Okay, I am seeing some random drops. Like to a crawl.

Mifec

Nah the dlc in DS2 is still great imo, has the best npc invaders ever and cool shit too.

Has the best souls char lore wise too, Burnt Ivory King.

I guess it just depends on the location. It looks okay so far here, but the one I was watching earlier was jittery almost at all times.

Well the slowdown in that webm ponpo posted has nothing to do with the stream sadly :(

MilkBeard

I've been watching a stream. This definitely looks like Bloodborne meets Dark Souls 1 with a little bit of Demon's Souls in terms of style (with some mechanics from DS2).

I'm pretty hyped.

Respect

Should not have entered...really want to play this now...must wait for US release.

at-work-cookie-monster.gif

I've been watching a stream. This definitely looks like Bloodborne meets Dark Souls 1 with a little bit of Demon's Souls in terms of style (with some mechanics from DS2).

I'm pretty hyped.

And seeing this isn't helping either.

BumRush

Really don't want to spoil anything story related so I'm avoiding Twitch. How does performance look (ps4 if possible)?

Ryan7556

Neo Member
Yeah, it was more annoying that anything really. (Since you lose your humanity)

That's cool and frightening at the same time lol

The streamer who got got cursed managed to get back into cinder form just by using an ember though. So it looks like curse just instantly kills you now? I didn't see any other effects.

So how's everyone deciding on their first character?

I don't know what's in the game armor, weapon or spell wise and don't intend to before the NA release so I'm deciding based on playstyle. I did DS1 as a pyro/great club user, 2 is in progress but I'm a super heavy in that game, armor shield guts sword and all.

At this point it's herald warrior or knight for me.

So how's everyone deciding on their first character?

I don't know what's in the game armor, weapon or spell wise and don't intend to before the NA release so I'm deciding based on playstyle. I did DS1 as a pyro/great club user, 2 is in progress but I'm a super heavy in that game, armor shield guts sword and all.

At this point it's herald warrior or knight for me.

I'll start naked, I think. If it is possible, that is.

Nere

I wonder who the final boss will be. Yes I know he has been leaked but still I wonder how he looks and how he ties to the previous games (if he does).

MilkBeard

Really loving the level design of this area. It just feels like Bloodborne and Dark Souls made love and had a beautiful baby.

Jobbs

Banned
Not gonna look at all these streams! aghh! I can make it to tomorrow!

I'll be streaming the game starting shortly after it unlocks tomorrow. So... Probably starting a bit after 11am EST.

I'll be doing it at https://www.twitch.tv/ttpete (NOT LIVE YET, JUST IF YOU WANT TO SUB OR BOOKMARK)

I'll be on mic and talking and interacting as much as needed. In all likelihood I'll be playing quite a bit for for the first day or two or three.

Does anyone have a link to the page with just items and spoiler tags boss weapons and certain armor? I don't know if I saw it here or Reddit but I'm having a hard time finding it.

Top Bottom