• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Import OT] Kindle the fire, one last time

Cruxist

For people hoping for a magical 1.01 to fix those slowdowns, according to this blog, the 1 GB patch 1.01 is already out.

It's not Dark Souls without a murky, slowed down area! Hopefully it's not terrible this time around. Oh well, all of us Day 1 people will be able to reminisce about how tough it will be to play before it gets patched.

Great, but there's still the additional stipulation of weapon level matchmaking.

If that applies to all phantoms, including co-op and Sentinels, then it isn't a huge deal. If it only restricts invaders, then you might as well never invade.

I like the idea in theory, and i imagine it will be both co-op and pvp as it will stop both invading griefers and helpers from being too OP. That and Invading a well matched host only to be smashed by a phantoms +10 great hammer wouldn't make any sense.

I just hope it isn't too restrictive.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The OP says it's unsure if there will be DLC, but there's already a season pass for sale... doesn't that answer the question?

It does. It's a flaw in the OT that I'm planning on changing :).

I like the idea in theory, and i imagine it will be both co-op and pvp as it will stop both invading griefers and helpers from being too OP. That and Invading a well matched host only to be smashed by a phantoms +10 great hammer wouldn't make any sense.

I just hope it isn't too restrictive.

Well, since the game seems to use Dark Souls 2's upgrade system, I imagine it's based off of what type of titanite you're using to upgrade. Shards (+1 through +3) get matched with shards, large shards with large shards, chunks with chunks, etc.

Where it gets crazier is items that use Twinkling Titanite and Titanite Scales, as well as how infusions factor in, if at all. And who knows how magic could be used to circumvent the system. It's all very complex and probably way less effective than just going for a Demon's Souls style, unrestricted system.

nynt9

Yes.

For the future:

Only one account (which has to be linked with your PS4, setting the PS4 as the primary console for this account) needs Playstation Plus for every other user on the console to use multiplayer.

Only one account (which has to be linked with your PS4, setting the PS4 as the primary console for this account) needs Dark Souls 3 (or any other digital game) on the console downloaded and it is playable with any other account on this console.

Thanks! This is useful to know.

lawtowler

GAF, please help me... I've only played Bloodborne so far and I absolutely loved it, got the platinum but I've never played a Dark Souls game (or Demon Souls).

Is it a safe bet that I'll enjoy DS3? I want to go all in for it but I'm apprehensive because one of the aspects I loved about BB was the speedy, aggresive combat and I know DS is slower and more reliant on parrying enemies...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Changed my physical preorder for a 1k+ yen more expensive digital one just to not have to wait for the 1.01 patch to download when the clock strikes midnight.

No regrets.

Well, since the game seems to use Dark Souls 2's upgrade system, I imagine it's based off of what type of titanite you're using to upgrade. Shards (+1 through +3) get matched with shards, large shards with large shards, chunks with chunks, etc.

Yeah this is what i thought, sounds reasonable enough.

Where it gets crazier is items that use Twinkling Titanite and Titanite Scales, as well as how infusions factor in, if at all. And who knows how magic could be used to circumvent the system. It's all very complex and probably way less effective than just going for a Demon's Souls style, unrestricted system.

but i hadn't considered this, definitely sounds like it cause a few headaches. Personally so long as there's plenty of players to interact with i'll be happy.

Cruxist

Yeah this is what i thought, sounds reasonable enough.

but i hadn't considered this, definitely sounds like it cause a few headaches. Personally so long as there's plenty of players to interact with i'll be happy.

I'm just hoping I see more invaders. Dark Souls 2 didn't have a ton. I also hope that the defender covenant (way of the blue?) actually works. I don't think I was ever summoned to help anyone out and I was pretty sad.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If I tunneled my PS4 through my PC's internet, then used a VPN on my PC to make the PS4 think it was in Japan, would I be able to make a JP PSN account and purchase the game on PSN?

I imagine I'd need to buy JP points card from somewhere else, but otherwise is this doable?

S0N0S

Will anybody from Soulbrandt be streaming it? How about Lobos, ManVSGame?

I think all/most of us in Soulbrandt will be streaming it at some point this week, if not right at 8am PDT tomorrow morning.

The other Twitch streamers I know of that will be streaming it too are: Lobos, ManvsGame, DansGaming, Lirik, itmeJP, and CohhCarnage.

dragn

If I tunneled my PS4 through my PC's internet, then used a VPN on my PC to make the PS4 think it was in Japan, would I be able to make a JP PSN account and purchase the game on PSN?

I imagine I'd need to buy JP points card from somewhere else, but otherwise is this doable?

you dont need a vpn, just create a japanese account with some address from google maps and buy psn credit from play-asia or somewhere else

idonteven

only top tier streamers being able to stream it is such a kick in the nuts for the smaller streamers that nobody is gonna watch when the real release is there

im repeating myself but this fucking sucks that streamers are gonna stream english version tomorrow

Copper

squadr0n

Anyone have a video showing the Katana's Weapon/Battle Arts yet? I still cant seem to find one and really want to see what it does.

Tactics18

Those slowdowns were very rough from what I've seen in that stream.
All pre-loaded up so we'll see about that tomorrow.

I'm really interested to know if the bonfire-ceramnoy stuff have been removed for the second game in a row.
It seemed like it'll be a big thing when the leak came out a year ago.

I'm just hoping I see more invaders. Dark Souls 2 didn't have a ton. I also hope that the defender covenant (way of the blue?) actually works. I don't think I was ever summoned to help anyone out and I was pretty sad.

Lack of invaders shouldn't be a problem with the return of the infinite invasion item. DS2 was a nightmare for invaders with having to keep buying and buying Cracked Orbs, i imagine it dissuaded a lot of people.

The problem with the way of the blue was that it was split into 2 covenants and people had to choose between being defended or defending other players. Just merge both into one covenant and it'd be a hell of a lot more active.

Lack of invaders shouldn't be a problem with the return of the infinite invasion item. DS2 was a nightmare for invaders with having to keep buying and buying Cracked Orbs, i imagine it dissuaded a lot of people.

The problem with the way of the blue was that it was split into 2 covenants and people had to choose between being defended or defending other players. Just merge both into one covenant and it'd be a hell of a lot more active.

Having to use souls to buy more cracked red orbs + soul memory = terrible combo. You have to get souls to invade, thus increasing your soul memory, so you can't stay in one SM bracket.

DS2 PVP was unnecessarily stressful for that reason.

Yikes, that slowdown is bad.

And those "hitboxes" (more like hithouses :p) are terrible -- in both instances absolutely nothing touches the player, yet they are still hit/grabbed. That's some artificial difficulty bullshit, right there.

Conezays

Welp, I bit the bullet and bought the PSN cards. I'm really busy at the end of April with personal/work stuff so this is actually better time-wise for me...not that I won't be buying the PC version day one, Lol.

MayMay

Banned
I've never ordered anything digital at Play-Asia before. Now it says here: "Some orders may be subject to verification by SMS or Voice which may cause delays."

Anyone had that happen? I hate when shops do this, only had bad experiences with these verifications taking forever.

hmmm, NPCs are VERY very talkative again. Especially the level up woman. Lots of random locked doors I'm seeing.

Getting a lot of bad vibes from this now. Seems a lot more DS2 than 1 and that's an incredibly bad thing imo. But we'll have to see I guess.

hmmm, NPCs are VERY very talkative again. Especially the level up woman. Lots of random locked doors I'm seeing.

Getting a lot of bad vibes from this now. Seems a lot more DS2 than 1 and that's an incredibly bad thing imo. But we'll have to see I guess.
As a huge fan of 2, I hope its more like that.

Chatty NPCs and locked doors are a Dark Souls 2 thing? Or are you referring to something else?

Sylas

I'm not sure how NPCs being really talkative is a bad thing? Unless you get locked into conversations and have you spam through the level up dialogue before you can start putting in stats.

Also, just called around to some of the NYC stores and nobody is getting a physical import copy. I'm trying to stay strong and not get PSN cards, but ugh. I don't know if I'll hold out 3 weeks.

Top Bottom