• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III TRC Patch Notes (inc. PS4 Pro patch)

score01

If it's just more stable frame rate and no res increases how much better will this be than running using the new firmware beast mode? Doesn't that already unlock the cpu for games?

VertPin

Great news for Dark Souls 3. I am not a fan of heavier armor weighing more though. It's already hard to wear medium sized armor with a few choice weapons (none that are heavy) and fast rolling. You need a ton of points into Endurance. Also, I love the idea of the increased frame rate...

...but Bloodborne needs a Pro patch, as well.

AmyS

Careful everyone, don't get too hyped and keep your expectations at ease.

The patch note just says 'increased frame rate for gameplay on PlayStation®4 Pro.' it doesn't explicitly state 60 fps gameplay.

It would be great if it could run at a locked 60 fps though.

I don't expect 60fps -- I just expect another noticeable improvement.
Boost Mode already helps to some extent.

Ferr986

Has a GOTY version been announced yet?

Yes
q9ugfgt.jpg

Ateron

Why would you expect that?

Supersampling? Or better AA?
Though, I get it. From aren't exactly technical wizards, never have been. I wouldn't call them lazy, but given that they had support from Japan Studio they could have taken better advantage of that in the past.

They are definitely one of my top 3 devs out there, but I'm not expecting much from them on that regard. A locked 30 with the frame pacing ironed out, add in some Supersampling and it would be amazing.

Variable framerates with no option to cap them can lead to another FF xv scenario (a game I love to bits and want to play cause of the extra hunts, content, level cap, and still haven't updated the game cause I can't stand variable fps). Let's see if they give us the option. I'm leaning towards no.

And another thing. Didn't Sony mandate that no MP oriented games could ever have fps bumps, exceeding the base target for the og version? You know, so that pro players couldn't have an unfair advantage? If the game is indeed getting bumped to 45fps+/- that could lead to that scenario. How will they handle that?

Atolm

I'd rather have 30fps with perfect pacing that uncapped & unstable framerate.

At least I play DS3 on PC at 60fps. Too bad I consider Bloodborne a much better game :/

ValfarHL

If it's just more stable frame rate and no res increases how much better will this be than running using the new firmware beast mode? Doesn't that already unlock the cpu for games?

Beast mode only gives the game access to higher gpu a cpu clocks. A Pro patch gives the game access to TWO slightly higher clocked gpus and the higher cpu clock.
Performance/quality improvements comes down to how From spends those extra resources.
60 fps should be a walk in the park for the Pro, it is From Software we're talking about...

LordOfChaos

How much more CPU heavy is DS3 from SOTFS? I've seen many games go from 40fps to 60fps with lots of A.I with just the faster clock sans any optimization work....Assetto Corsa with lots of cars, a big uplift in Project Cars in boost mode, a 60fps 1080p in probably the biggest and most dynamic openworld game in NMS....Even a game like the Division maintains a locked 30fps as an intensive CPU game on consoles...

Lets not focus only on the CPU, the GPU will boost DS3 quite a bit on the PRO, but the CPU is more than enough to handle DS3's A.I, drawcalls and enemy count whilst stabilizing framerate at 1080p 60fps....

Bolded is a guess on your part, that's all I'm saying. The CPU has proven the limit for many would-be 60fps upgrades and you and I aren't familiar with what Froms profiling looks like. And yeah I'd expect it to have more going on than a remastered last gen title built for the limits of last gen CPUs, even if the remaster adds some more extras.

I'd just say people shouldn't set themselves up to be let down if it's an uncapped increased framerate that's not a locked 60, for the modest CPU boost.

Frostman

Please don't let it be unlocked.. Final Fantasy XV is currently unplayable on the Pro because of this.

I hate to be negative, but this is what I think will happen.

Fingers crossed it doesn't.

Edit: for clarification I'm expecting a variable 45-55 ish framerate, wouldn't be surprised if it was lower.

The CPU handled SOTFS just fine on base PS4, the clock boosts in pro boost mode ironed out the small dips (when technical analysts purposefully run away from huge crowds of npc's/enemies to stress the CPU). Are you telling me that if From opens up the code and focuses on a patch for DS3 with the full capacity of PRO hardware that it won't hit 60fps at FHD?
Yes. See you on Friday.

The balance changes are giving me life. Nerfed bleed build and curved swords, katana running stab got nerfed and all of its other attacks got speed buffs? I can dust off my ol' Uchi again.

Zarth

If this is an unlocked mode I really hope they include a toggle for 30 FPS lock if they can't keep a solid 60.

I will be really disappointed if my Pro forces itself into this mode and I experience variable framerates with the horrible frame pacing in that engine.

III-V

I am ready to jump back in but sad to see no mention of frame pacing fix. Fully expecting TR style 60 fps with dips to 40's

Cue the massive shitstorm on here when the frame rate for pro is unlocked and is all over the place between 30 and 60 like final fantasy 15 is. With no option to keep it locked at the original 30.....

Soodanim

Maybe it's because I've not long woken up, but some of the notes even a little unclear. An example being "Along with the above, adjusted hollow". Buffed? Nerfed? Improved animation patches too - improved in what way? I'm looking forward to seeing the weapon changes most, I'm not too fussed about the rest. Daggers are currently woeful, something I was reminded of in a new game recently.

Does anyone know if the GOTY version will have another trophy set?
Doubtful

Good question. I am also wondering whether the "Fire Fades" edition will be compatible with my vanilla save.
Almost certainly yes. These complete editions are often just game+DLC. Which is why the above answer is almost certainly no. It's not a SOTFS release.

Persona7

Banned
This game being patched instead of Bloodborne is going to be the biggest crime of the gen. SIGH come on From:(

Why would they patch an ancient game that hasn't been touched in years instead of the latest release with upcoming new content and even further patches?

Top Bottom