• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Plumpman

This is the mod I always talked and dreamed about for Arma 2!

As always GAF makes me aware of these amazing things, purchased OA and can't wait to jump in.

Tain

So if you need both Arma II and Arrowhead, are you okay to have Arma II via Steam and Arrowhead from the developer's store?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
It's really unfortunate that one needs both ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead. It'll fuckin take me like 6 hours total to download all that, it'll be dark by then.

Sethos

Banned
Wish I would have known that before I bought CO on Steam. Hope it isn't that much trouble.

It has gotten better, however there's still a few niggles with the Beta patches and some mods I believe.

However back in the day, patches would be days if not weeks late, then they'd require you to re-download the ENTIRE GAME due to BI's patching process didn't bond with Steam. Then a ton of mods didn't work, compatibility issues etc.

But it should be alright now, it's probably aimed at hardcore ArmA II players, most of them tend to stay clear of the Steam version.

robin2

If you like to support developers, get it from BI's own store https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-combined-operations as they get 100% of the profit, instead of Valve as a middleman.

I think I'm going with this solution, since I couldn't undertsand if a digital copy of OA could merge easily with my Arma 2 DVD version.

But I'd have some questions:
The store keeps my download forever, so I could re-download it anytime (like gog does, to be clear), or is it a single-time access and I need to backup myself the downloaded installer?
What DRM this version has?

Thanks.

Slair

I got a copy of ArmA II free here in the UK when one of our newspapers had a promotion to get free stuff from a website called greenmangaming. I have no idea if i got OA from the official site would they both work together or am i gonna have to get the expansion from greenmangaming aswell? Anybody have any idea?

DTKT

Spent 5 hours running halfway across the map. Found an AKS with 3 mags, a GPS, 2 ATVs.

Most fun I had in years. Gotta love PC gaming.

ezekial45

Banned
A Battle Royale mod in this vein would be awesome.

I don't know about that. The reason why this mod works well is because they include a secondary force for the players, the zombies. That gives players a reason to work together and survive against them and the environment.

A battle royale mod would be no different than a regular deathmatch mod because the player's main objective is to be the last man standing.

Spat_triate

Wow this thread took off!

Hopefully this mod will have official support in Arma 3. The dev's coworkers/bosses originally thought that players would not want an experience this 'hardcore', but I have never seen so many people playing Arma before.

kodt

Banned
Edit: Also, whatever DRM was in the game was removed in Patch 1.05.

Don't they still have that degrade DRM? Where if it detects you are playing a illegal copy, parts of the game will slowly degrade, like some enemies not rendering, missing sound effects, display errors, etc... just here and there enough to nag at you to buy it.

Dascu

So, I need both ARMA II and Operation Arrowhead? Might pick them up during the Steam summer sale. Hope we can get a GAF crew going then.

Don't they still have that degrade DRM? Where if it detects you are playing a illegal copy, parts of the game will slowly degrade, like some enemies not rendering, missing sound effects, display errors, etc... just here and there enough to nag at you to buy it.

Yeah, its called Fade or whatever. I think its still in.

I don't know about that. The reason why this mod works well is because they include a secondary force for the players, the zombies. That gives players a reason to work together and survive against them and the environment.

A battle royale mod would be no different than a regular deathmatch mod because the player's main objective is to be the last man standing.

oh, I agree. I meant borrowing elements from BR, rather than an exact adaptation of the rules; specifically the dead zones and randomized tools to start with.

Still, it could work as a death match game, albeit one that takes pace over a period of days. Sort of like Neptune's Pride. By the end there would be only one survivor, but to get there you partner with people you can't trust. Or learn from The Ship (or Hunter X Hunter). Give everyone a target to reduce random killing.

From an interview with the CEO of Bohemia on DRM:

Original interview.

Edit: Also, whatever DRM was in the game was removed in Patch 1.05.

Thanks. Although if that's the case, what's to stop Steam owners from manually updating the game? or is that not how it works?

Permadeath because of tech issues like lag spike, lost connection etc. Is the only thing that worries me as I am OK with permadeath because of normal gameplay scenarios. But how do anybody (devs) counter it? If they allow rollback because of tech issues people will abuse it disconnectin or turning off power etc. Perma must be perma even if it sucks for the player.

Yeah, its called Fade or whatever. I think its still in.

FADE is still in. Not sure how many legitimate users are affected by it.

Permadeath because of tech issues like lag spike, lost connection etc. Is the only thing that worries me as I am OK with permadeath because of normal gameplay scenarios. But how do anybody (devs) counter it? If they allow rollback because of tech issues people will abuse it disconnectin or turning off power etc. Perma must be perma even if it sucks for the player.

Disconnecting and loss of power both result in a user disconnect in most cases. They review everyone's request and they don't outline a policy of what gets you a definite reset, so I think it's not as easy as you think.

Hari Seldon

I love the idea of permadeath. It sounds great! I don't mind losing gear or whatever. The only thing that will suck is if I am rolling with a crew and one person dies they can't rejoin them. Can you spectate after you die? That would alleviate some pain if you are with a bunch of friends during a game night and someone dies, at least you can watch what is going on and BS over skype.

kodt

Banned

Yeah pretty much you just have to deal with it. If a lag spike kills you... too bad, the devs can't control everyone's internet connections. It does suck that PKers can just kill you when you want to be friendly, but it is more realistic this way, and forces you to be more cautious.

DTKT

I love the idea of permadeath. It sounds great! I don't mind losing gear or whatever. The only thing that will suck is if I am rolling with a crew and one person dies they can't rejoin them. Can you spectate after you die? That would alleviate some pain if you are with a bunch of friends during a game night and someone dies, at least you can watch what is going on and BS over skype.

You can respawn you know?

Arucardo

Well you can respawn (with the starting gear) and try to get back together with the group, but that could take hours.

kodt

Banned

You can always respawn with a "new" character. You'll start with the basic starting gear. You could find your old corpse and get your loot back too if someone else hasn't already taken it, and you know where it is.

Vostro

Ugh I keep getting disconnected to the lobby whenever Receiving Data is almost finish. Anyone have the same problem?

Tattooth

Does anyone remember when Green Man Gaming gave ARMA 2 away for free? I remember all the copies they gave out were busted or something, whatever happened to that because I can't download the one I got.

docbon

Does anyone remember when Green Man Gaming gave ARMA 2 away for free? I remember all the copies they gave out were busted or something, whatever happened to that because I can't download the one I got.

I would get in contact with gmg support.

Slair

I downloaded my copy (the free one from whichever newspaper it was) from their site fine, just confused if getting the expansion from the dev site would work with it or not. :S

Hari Seldon

You can always respawn with a "new" character. You'll start with the basic starting gear. You could find your old corpse and get your loot back too if someone else hasn't already taken it, and you know where it is.

Yeah but you might never find your crew lol.

If anyone is playing for the first time I'd recommend trying to get on a server where it's still daylight. I had fun playing for the first time in the dark but was lucky it was a clear night in-game so the moon kept it fairly lit up.

My 2nd respawn was during a storm and it was literally pitch black at times. Which made it incredibly atmospheric (lightning and all) but I had to carry lit flares (throw them lit on the ground then pick them up). That attracted zombies and I blew through all my ammo staying alive. After mentioning that, it was pretty awesome.

My advice is stick to the main roads and rail road tracks early on if you have no idea were to go. I ventured off in the woods and spent a good hour running in the middle of nowhere. It seems like common sense now though =(

I ran into my first fellow survivor when I was gathering supplies in a building by a dock and threw a flare down since I couldn't see. I hadn't seen zombies when I was crouching around but I heard them as soon as I did that. So I ran up to the 3rd level of catwalks, assuming zombies couldn't climb (I was wrong). That's when the guy chatted towards me that he could see a flare lighting up the building by the docks and asked if I was friendly, that he was on the other side of the railroad and could see me running around. The community for this game is really cool so far. He helped me fend off the zombies and I let him take the remaining supplies in the building. I took off but heard his gunshots a few minutes later, as I continued scavenging, and ran back to help him out. I saw he died a little while after I finally left. Poor Tom, never stood a chance throwing all those flares. I had taken all the chem lights.

People seem to be teaming up appropriately and playing in the spirit of the game. The few hours I played I could see 2 groups in chat who had split up going about their plans, supplies, coming across strangers, meeting up at rendezvous, warning newcomers where the bandits were camping out (the West, in this case), etc. Coming from terrible kids on Live, seeing real teamwork and community is crazy.

R1CHO

Who are exactly the bandits? Do you choose if you want to be a bandit or a random survivor?

PS: lol, beaten

railGUN

Banned
I'm seriously thinking about getting this, but I'd much rather have it on Steam - realistically, what are the chances that using the Steam version will cause much grief down the road, mod support wise?

Other players. they turn into the bandits the more they murder other players. Their character model changes i believe.

Yeah, everyone starts at the regular character. You have a humanity number in your debug stats that is a number I can't recall, and it goes up if you bandage/morphine people and down if you kill them. Once you kill enough people your character turns into a bandit so people know. Though you can still do everything you could before (it's just a character model change, like Phoenix mentioned).

One of those groups I mentioned ran across a guy moving around in a building and stopped to make sure he was friendly (since it was dark) then he tells them he looks like a bandit but isn't and wants to join. "Sounds legit" one of the guys replied and they presumably teamed up since I didn't see a death message.

I'm seriously thinking about getting this, but I'd much rather have it on Steam - realistically, what are the chances that using the Steam version will cause much grief down the road, mod support wise?

I got the Steam version of Complete Ops and it was kind of a pain in the ass to get up and going. From what I've read the game installs differently sometimes depending on which you download and install first? I'm really not sure but I had to manually move things over that aren't covered in the tutorials (the 2nd page of this thread me and someone else mention it, not hard at all, but if you don't know then you don't know). It runs perfect after that though.

Tain

Why does this need both the expansion and the original (instead of just the expansion), anyway? Maybe I'm unclear on how Arma II and Arrowhead interact.

Why does this need both the expansion and the original (instead of just the expansion), anyway? Maybe I'm unclear on how Arma II and Arrowhead interact.

Basically Arma2 and Arrowhead when installed together becomes Combined Operations allowing you to access the content in both games at the same time.

For instance the island included in this mod is from Arma2 and the backpack system was added in Operation Arrowhead. That's why you need both installed. It allows the components of each to work together in a single game environment

robin2

The scenery in which you're playing is the one from Arma II, so it would be more likely to require only the original game if it was the case. I don't know what the expansion specifically brings for this mod.

Edit: well the post above explains it :)

Buggy Loop

Im downloading arma II CO right now for this mod, been wanting to play arma II for a while anyway but this mod looks AWESOME.

Top Bottom