• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

This week I bid adieu to the Flash. The fastest man alive's story is moving slow as molasses and I've lost all interest. One day DC willike publish a great Flash run again, one day...

This week I bid adieu to the Flash. The fastest man alive's story is moving slow as molasses and I've lost all interest. One day DC willike publish a great Flash run again, one day...
Well, we're getting a Morrison story with him once they actually launch that follow-up to Multiversity so at least we've something to look forward to.

Ross61

Damn, I'm liking it as of right now but I can understand.

tim1138

Well, we're getting a Morrison story with him once they actually launch that follow-up to Multiversity so at least we've something to look forward to.

I don't doubt that Morrison has the outline for that story stashed away somewhere, but much like the original Multiversity series, I will believe it exists when I'm sitting down to read it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I'm enjoying it enough, but it is slow as fuck

Is it weird for Superman to aid the President?
No, I think it's weird for THIS Superman though, considering the circumstances of his family, being on another Earth, having been incognito for so long, and just going public recently. I don't know if New 52 ever aided the president, but that's more believable since he would have been around long enough to build a relationship with the US government.

Red Hood and the Outlaws as well.

That one is a little bit different as it's as much about Jason's back story and who he is now. , as it is a #1. I guess its somewhere in between ? I thought it was one of the better done Rebirths, it didn't have a really short overly compressed side plot that basically wasted pages, while trying to setup the new starting point, which was a common problem with the early ones. Its short / compressed plot was setup (but also easily recapped in #1 in much shorter form) and woven well with establishing who Jason is, You can read #1 without Rebirth and you'd be fine , if you weren't a Nu52 reader. Birds of Prey / Deathstroke / (and it looks like) Blue Beetle aren't like that at all, if you didn't read Rebirth #1 would just open in the middle of a plot.

Deathstroke was dope. The scene with him and his family reminded me of Married... with Children for some reason.

I'm still liking Green Lanterns. It's funny whenever Jessica works herself up to make a construct and then fails spectacularly. It would be even better if eventually she gets booted from the Green Lanterns because she really is just shit and it chose her by accident. She needs to be a part of the Sinestro Corps, she could solo the Justice League with her scary ass.

And I'm glad Baz and her got their asses kicked because I was about to call bullshit that two rookie lanterns were able to beat a whole Red Lantern squad themselves. When they didn't get stomped immediately it started worrying me.

Deathstroke was dope. The scene with him and his family reminded me of Married... with Children for some reason.

I'm still liking Green Lanterns. It's funny whenever Jessica works herself up to make a construct and then fails spectacularly. It would be even better if eventually she gets booted from the Green Lanterns because she really is just shit and it chose her by accident. She needs to be a part of the Sinestro Corps, she could solo the Justice League with her scary ass.

And I'm glad Baz and her got their asses kicked because I was about to call bullshit that two rookie lanterns were able to beat a whole Red Lantern squad themselves. When they didn't get stomped immediately it started worrying me.

She did display both Great Will and Great Courage in overcoming the Power Ring, so the ring was making a good choice there.

Volthoom took her over at the end of JL Darkseid War I thought?

Yes, she then sacrificed herself to stop the Black Racer by putting herself in between it and its target, however the Black Racer took Volthoom instead (but she didn't know that would happen so the sacrifice is still valid).

Blue Beetle Rebirth:

Saying the Scarab is magic based instead of alien tech is weird/stupid because we've already seen The Reach so I wonder how they plan on explaining it.

MartyStu

Blue Beetle Rebirth:

Saying the Scarab is magic based instead of alien tech is weird/stupid because we've already seen The Reach so I wonder how they plan on explaining it.

I am actually excited for BB especially because I want to see how that wrinkle is approached. Could be fun if the creative team gets really...creative with it.

You're in the minority. It's quirky, unique, fun... Love it. Made me drop Deadpool for Harley.

What fictional minority am I in? Even comic reviewers who overrate comics higher than video games are extremely mixed on the book. It's among the worst reviewed Rebirth books, as it should be. I guess horrible writing and half-naked women in a hot tub can move 400K issues, but it doesn't make the content any less shitty.

Deadpool is stupid and on rare occasions a bit funny. Harley Quinn is an internally conflicted book that has zero humor and fails its attempt to straddle the line between empowerment and exploitation.

Blue Beetle #1 wasn't great, fam. :(

MartyStu

What fictional minority am I in? Even comic reviewers who overrate comics higher than video games are extremely mixed on the book. It's among the worst reviewed Rebirth books, as it should be. I guess horrible writing and half-naked women in a hot tub can move 400K issues, but it doesn't make the content any less shitty.

Deadpool is stupid and on rare occasions a bit funny. Harley Quinn is an internally conflicted book that has zero humor and fails its attempt to straddle the line between empowerment and exploitation.

It is weird that the Rebirth book had issues with that line. From what I remember, the Pre-Rebirth series did a pretty good job managing that,

It is weird that the Rebirth book had issues with that line. From what I remember, the Pre-Rebirth series did a pretty good job managing that,

I could post images proving otherwise, but people have been down this road before. If people genuinely enjoy the book, more power to them.

I could post images proving otherwise, but people have been down this road before. If people genuinely enjoy the book, more power to them.

I don't really think Harley Quinn is for me but I don't think there's much difference between Pre-Rebirth and post for it tonally. Though part of that is that it's tone is somewhat inconsistent which makes sense given Harley seems somewhat manic - depressive at times.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Whats the difference? Would AC have more of an impact the the whole dcu.

Superman's first arc was much better than AC's. That may change, but who knows?

As for more of an impact on the DCU? Neither, most likely. That'll be the likes of Justice League, which will then have events sipping over into both AC & Superman, probably ruining them.

I liked pretty much all the books this week. Even Action Comics which I've been really down on. I thought Blue Beetle was fine even though it was a little 'low level' maybe?

GeeTeeCee

Deathstroke and Wintergreen are basically Venom Snake & Miller in this comic, if Snake and Miller were both total pieces of shit (which they sort of are anyway). It's great. More please.

Bit-Bit

Yo, just read the new Superman. Him absorbing the
souls of dead kryptonians
could have some huge changes to the character.

shingi70

Banned

No one cares about reviews, the books sales in both single issue and trade speak for itself. Hell just by looking at the average non comic reading especially women loves Harley.

There's a reason why she has a whole section separate from the regular DC items.

Kord was written fine, he's earnest, enthusiastic, and a little bit distracted. Dialogue was great too.

Yeah, I thought it was all fine, but I thought it was kind of corny in a non-Seeley and Percy way. It just seemed like it was written for a younger audience than the rest of DC. At least that's how it read to me.

Effect

Yo, just read the new Superman. Him absorbing the
souls of dead kryptonians
could have some huge changes to the character.

Still have to read but I wonder if they're trying to make it similar to
the codex that is in Superman in the films right now. All of Krypton inside of him and something that could be exploited.

Yeah, I thought it was all fine, but I thought it was kind of corny in a non-Seeley and Percy way. It just seemed like it was written for a younger audience than the rest of DC. At least that's how it read to me.

I think they're aiming for the teen readers with this one. Trying to capture that spiderman/ms marvel market.

Anyways Im thinking about picking up one more rebirth title now. I'm divided on titans and deathstroke

Which do y'all recommend as the better comic so far? Im kinda leaning towards DS cuz Im reading a few too many hero books at the moment I think.

kmfdmpig

My thoughts on each issue:

Wonder Woman - 3.5/5 I'm enjoying this.
Titans - 2.5/5 Take it or leave it. Nothing special for me.
Hellblazer - 3/5 I like it well enough, but it's not amazing.
Flash - 2/5 too slow and thinking about dropping it.
Hal Jordan and the GLC - 3.5/5 This is solid although I continue to hope that more focus is put on the rest of the corp.
Detective Comics 5/5 - This is right up there with Green Arrow as my favorite Rebirth title.
Deathstroke 3.5/5 I am curious to see where this goes and am enjoying it so far.
Action Comics 3/5 This is the best issue they've had so far, but that's not saying a whole lot. Will likely drop.
Batgirl 3/5 - This seems to be improving and I'm interested now.
Blue Beetle - 3.5/5 It was my most anticipated Rebirth title and did not quite live up to my internal hype, but was good enough to hook me for a few more issues.

I think they're aiming for the teen readers with this one. Trying to capture that spiderman/ms marvel market.

Anyways Im thinking about picking up one more rebirth title now. I'm divided on titans and deathstroke

Which do y'all recommend as the better comic so far? Im kinda leaning towards DS cuz Im reading a few too many hero books at the moment I think.

Both are only 2 issues in and both have been pretty great. Deathstroke is more of a dick and harder to take as a character to follow? If you're really trying to find some reason to go for one or the other.

Guess I haven't really done weekly reviews in a while. I'll do rankings.

Detective Comics > Deathstroke > Wonder Woman > Titans > Batgirl > Action Comics > Flash > Blue Beetle > Hal and GLC

Still have Hellblazer to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom