• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoilBreak

Banned
So are there any good Harley comics? Apparently, the newer one is not that good.
Also, think about getting more comics. Anyone have an recommendations? I pretty much like all the DC characters and if I don't I'm willing to give them a chance.

Harley & Ivy
Harley Quinn: Night and Day

VeeP

So uh that cover and solicit for Detective Comics 940:
Tim is dead isn't he? I knew rebirth was too good to last.

Tynion has said Tim is his favorite Robin, and his favorite character to write. You really think he's gonna kill him off? Doubt it.

tim1138

I'm betting it's going to be used as a plot point wth Daniel west reverse flash showing up in either flash or Titans.

Actually I bet it'll mostly play out in Teen Titans. I have a feeling the first few stories are going to be the them squaring off against their villainous family members - Damian and Ra's, Wally and Daniel, Raven and Trigon, Starfire and Blackfire,
Aqualad and Black Manta
, and for Beast Boy they could bring back his shady guardian from the old Doom Patrol comics.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Casual comic fan here.

Didn't Batman recently find out there are actually three Jokers in this post-rebirth universe? What's happening with that? Are they starting to explore that in his stories yet?

I don't know really anything about the Midnighter series. Can you guys explain what makes it so good? I'm certainly open to getting it, but it's not something I was interested in before.

For one thing, it's pretty gorgeous.

midnighter-is-going-to-slaughter-multiplex.jpg

It's also very well written, from both a technical perspective (i.e. dialogue flows well, characters have solid voices) and a plot/character development standpoint. My only real objection is that the fights end up pretty one-sided, but other than that? Great shit all around.

tim1138

It's also very well written, from both a technical perspective (i.e. dialogue flows well, characters have solid voices) and a plot/character development standpoint. My only real objection is that the fights end up pretty one-sided, but other than that? Great shit all around.

Of course they're one sided, he can't be beat!

I don't know really anything about the Midnighter series. Can you guys explain what makes it so good? I'm certainly open to getting it, but it's not something I was interested in before.

So all of the stuff Poodle said above. It is an incredibly character driven book that isn't afraid to hug at the heartstrings (there are a couple of flashbacks early on that hit especially hard). Despite Midnighter's messed up origins (he was abducted and experimented on and has no memory of his family, childhood, or even what his real name is), there is no brooding. Midnighter accepts who he is as an out gay man with a fight computer for a brain and enjoys life and does everything with a smile on his face. It's just a fantastic book that's full of heart.

ElNarez

Banned
For another thing, the way Midnighter's abilities are translated into visuals is incredibly well done. The layouts, the blocking, the coloring, they work together to show you how a fight plays out in his head in a really smart and cool way.

I liked the art in Midnighter but the zoom in and xray panels would sometimes just leave me confused with the layouts. Because it's midnighter I'm not sure you're reallyy supposed to pay much attention to it though. He's supposed to just be making a lot of fast perfect moves. Still felt lost a lot though.

KingV

I tried to get into Midnighter, but never could. I just can't understand why it's so loved. It was ok, but not great.

Have they announced what book that's going to be followed up in? Presumably either Snyder or Tom King is doing that story.

I'd be very surprised if the "Big Stuff" isn't a mini/maxi-series , with a volume of the tie-ins leading to it published at the same time , and a bajillion crossovers (of various relevance) in every book published at the time.

Hieberrr

Do you guys think the rebirth going to be worth anything in the future?

I went to my LCS and saw a few. Anyone read them yet? How are they so far?

kmfdmpig

Do you guys think the rebirth going to be worth anything in the future?

I went to my LCS and saw a few. Anyone read them yet? How are they so far?

No. I don't imagine that collecting comics to sell in the future is a good idea at this point. So many people bag and board comics now that there's no real scarcity like there was with older comics which were read, kept out in the air, folded into paper airplanes, thrown away, etc...

Rebirth has mostly been fairly good in my view.

The best series, IMO, are:
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
New Super-Man
Superman
Wonder Woman
Batman
and
Hal Jodran and the GLC

This weeks Haul

Batman: This is a bridge between I am Gotham and I am Suicide. I don't think anything else really happens (maybe a little bit of Batman character study).

Nightwing:
Nightwing and Raptor act against the Court of Owls. The twist which everyone saw coming happens as the stinger.

Justice League:This remains as (in)comprehensible as ever. At least things appear to be happening now, which means this arc may end soon.

Well I guess depends are Supersons and JLA getting Rebirth one-shots or going straight into series?

There's no way to know until they come out. Many of the "second wave" of Rebirth #1s have really been #1s of the series (Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, Birds of Prey).

SpaceWolf

Banned
No. I don't imagine that collecting comics to sell in the future is a good idea at this point. So many people bag and board comics now that there's no real scarcity like there was with older comics which were read, kept out in the air, folded into paper airplanes, thrown away, etc...

Didn't Spider-Gwen's first appearence in a throwaway Spider-Verse issue sell for quite a bit recently?

There's no way to know until they come out. Many of the "second wave" of Rebirth #1s have really been #1s of the series (Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, Birds of Prey).

Yeah, this kind of sucks too. It seemed like Rebirth was supposed to be used as a one-shot as a new direction or new status-quo and a lot of them have just used them as regular number 1's with another one following closely behind.

Aquaman was dope but Abnett knows Arthur should have gotten that work. And damn Black manta doesn't give a shit.

Cyborg Rebirth was really good and a much better start than David Walker's run. I'm now not gonna read this out of obligation like I did with that run but because I'm actually interested in the events that are transpiring. The dialogue is a bit weird and I can't put my finger on why but it doesn't really detract much. And the art is gorgeous. And dude already has some interesting dynamics being set up. Too bad no one will get the cliffhanger unless you read the previous run.

aly

This week was pretty good for both Nightwing and Batman. Nothing much to say since they were both arc wrap ups and Monster Men is about to start.

kmfdmpig

Didn't Spider-Gwen's first appearence in a throwaway Spider-Verse issue sell for quite a bit recently?

There might be an outlier here or there, but that's true with anything people do to try to earn money, whether buying lotto tickets, day trading penny stocks or betting on football. The number of people that will make money doing any of those is lower than the number that will lose money.

aly

Ross61

Uh that Starfire age thing is strange. I get that her and Babs behavior make them seem younger than their age, but Dick is only 21. There is no reason for Star to age slower other than being creepy. Glad that other people are tired of the Trigon nonsense.
When was Starfire's age mentioned?

The bit that often makes it seem off is that Babs is attitude wise (and often illustration wise) like a late teen, while Nightwing often seems more like his pre-Nu52 mid to late 20s. Wheras both are ~20 (or a tad older). The different attitudes resemble a weird power dynamic too, kinda like a teacher dating a student, since Babs is relatively inexperienced as a vigilante (due to her paralysis) and Dick is Batman's protege.

The attitude discrepancy is partially that all the male Robins still happened, wheras the other Batgirls and most of Oracle is gone and partially because Batgirl is aimed at a younger audience.

MartyStu

Actually I bet it'll mostly play out in Teen Titans. I have a feeling the first few stories are going to be the them squaring off against their villainous family members - Damian and Ra's, Wally and Daniel, Raven and Trigon, Starfire and Blackfire,
Aqualad and Black Manta
, and for Beast Boy they could bring back his shady guardian from the old Doom Patrol comics.

Wut!

Kaldur is all up in here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom