• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDR5 specs released

SantaC

Gold Member

Speeds up to 8400mhz! 😮😮

PS5 and XsX am cry.

08d5a7b05f1ebc27b95667bc738ae790.gif

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm curious what this will actually bring in real world performance. I remember that there isn't a big difference between ddr2, 3 and 4 in REAL world workloads.
It might be like SSD's. Not much difference in sata to nvme drives in gaming performance.... But those voltages though!!! Power efficiency and less heat look great. (Not that ram had problems with power or heat to begin with), but something I look forward to either way.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nice. probably will come to Threadripper + Intel HEDT first then trickle down to Ryzen/Intel Core series. wouldn't expecting this to hit your every day desktop until ~2022. 2021 will probably be TR/HEDT.

my system is just fine for now. i have 32GB RAM at 2933 with 1.2V. plus i have an intel CPU so i expect AMD will see more benefit from faster RAM.

Armorian

Banned
I'm curious what this will actually bring in real world performance. I remember that there isn't a big difference between ddr2, 3 and 4 in REAL world workloads.

First differences between DDR3 and 4 were seen with Intel Skylake I belive, so it depends on power of the CPU and CPU evolution speed is slow as fuck right now so we won't see any real benefits in years...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It might be like SSD's. Not much difference in sata to nvme drives in gaming performance.... But those voltages though!!! Power efficiency and less heat look great. (Not that ram had problems with power or heat to begin with), but something I look forward to either way.
That does not say anything about power consumption, they could just ram up the current supply.

That does not say anything about power consumption, they could just ram up the current supply.
Just like die size and everything shrinks, I wouldn't doubt that ram becomes more efficient in power draw. Voltage and current wise. It wouldn't make sense to drop voltage and raise current needed to run, as that would be more heat.

ZywyPL

Banned
I saw some people already wondering how the PCs will mitigate the SSD streaming from next-gen consoles, well, here's the answer - 24/48/64GB of RAM on a single stick, that makes 48/96/128GB in dual-channel configuration, 2-3 years from now PCs will simply store entire games in RAM and won't need to worry about anything. Because streaming became super popular on consoles during PS360 era as a workaround for insufficient amount RAM, and that's basically what it is up to this day, just a workaround, an efficient one, but still...

Ryzen is ddr4 speed hungry. There is a fps difference between 2133mhz and 3600mhz.

Yes and no. Zen 2 works best when RAM is the same speed as it's Infinity Fabric. This is why 3600mhz is near ideal ( 3733 is perfect ).

Increasing the RAM speed beyond that actually has speed penalties in some applications because the infinity fabric will reduce its speed by half.

Last edited:
I want to wait for the right time for my laptop and Desktop to have the following:

DDR5
PCIE 5.0
Bluetooth 5.1 or higher
USB 4.0
Wifi6
5G (for laptop)

By the time those things are out, the "next big thing" will already be getting hyped.

What REAL benefits do ANY of those things bring to the table?

What REAL benefits will DDR5 bring to my games that it's actually worth waiting for? DDR5 was supposed to already be out by 2019. So anyone who was waiting for DDR5 has already waited far longer than they expected.
What REAL benefits will BT 5.1 bring that someone should wait?
etc.

Shin

Banned
I want to wait for the right time:
DDR5
PCIE 5.0
Bluetooth 5.1 or higher
USB 4.0
Wifi6
5G (for laptop)
[/QUOTE]

Seems fitting when it comes to PC components:

Always almost there but then there's something new right around the corner
Memory speed is nice but I'm more curious as to the latency DDR5 will have, DDR3>DDR4 brought a lot of latency with it.

ZywyPL

Banned
Memory speed is nice but I'm more curious as to the latency DDR5 will have, DDR3>DDR4 brought a lot of latency with it.

It happens every single time, DDR1>2, DDR2>3, and so on. And even within same RAM generation, for example the faster the DDR3 module is, the higher the latency, the higher a DDR4 module is, the higher the latency, and DDR5 won't be any different. And that's one of the main reason we see virtually zero FPS differences in games no matter what RAM is used.

Top Bottom