• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Discussion (12/2016 trailer)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think his name isn't on the poster not due to his importance in it, but because of superstition. Del Toro is a lovely man and enthusiast, he grew up in a very superstitious household. He believes every game he associates his name with is cursed to die, so how do you supersede that while also working on a game with Kojima? Don't put your name on it. Del Toro is popular enough he doesn't really need fame and fame isn't his primary concern, so I bet he just asked not to put his name on it so the game wouldn't be cursed to die.

More complete thoughts after watching it again on a proper monitor:
1) Del Toro after some sort of brain surgery. What's his story? He has handcuffs and a baby like Reedus.
2) Weirdo Tanks and skeleton soldiers with the umbilical cords. WW2 planes. Upside down rainbow. Ummm...
3) More black oil. Possibly Prometheus or X-Files inspired.
4) Baby doll with the same abdomen scars as Reedus gets pulled by an umbilical cord
5) Handprints on the wall of the sewer.
6) More skeleton soldiers with bolt action(?) rifles.
7) Baby doll opens it's eyes, Mads face clears up.

So more paranormal military action from Kojima sama.
Sign me the fuck up.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also I bet the game has different characters in different periods of time. Norman Reedus seemed like he was a caveman, Del Toro seems like he's in WW2 era. I've got this sneaking suspicion we're going through different time periods of a sci-fi horror world... As an action game.

So...so...beautiful.

images

LOL! Oh my god this is the greatest shit ever. *saves*

Semajer

I haven't really been following this game, but this trailer has gotten me interested. Is this a Kojima-owned and developed game with Sony publishing, or is it a Sony-owned game with Kojima developing? Is it PS4 only?

Lemonte

1) Del Toro after some sort of brain surgery. What's his story? He has handcuffs and a baby like Reedus.
2) Weirdo Tanks and skeleton soldiers with the umbilical cords. WW2 planes. Upside down rainbow. Ummm...
4) Baby doll with the same abdomen scars as Reedus gets pulled by an umbilical cord

Sign me the fuck up.

Notice the baby in the jar opens only one eye like the doll in the end.

Auctopus

Stop showing trailers for the game you barely started making.

Yeah, I remember Kojima saying that the trailer at E3 was a "vibe" trailer. I sincerely doubt Del Toro will be a character in the game and the contents of this trailer will probably be irrelevant once the actual game starts being made.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima just asked Del Toro if he wanted to be made in the engine.

THEaaron

Also I bet the game has different characters in different periods of time. Norman Reedus seemed like he was a caveman, Del Toro seems like he's in WW2 era. I've got this sneaking suspicion we're going through different time periods of a sci-fi horror world... As an action game.

Well to theorize a bit:

Wouldn't it be cool if we had to fight those 5 figures in different times and worlds? Ah this is leading to nowhere. Hope Kojima will give us some trailers through 2017.

Sign me the fuck up.

Death Stranding |OT| Tactical Necromancy Action :)

Coreda

Notice the baby in the jar opens only one eye like the doll in the end.

At 2:12 two tentacles in the black water come and grab the baby doll, slowly bringing it toward Mads while it begins to illuminate (an ability Mads' character seems to possess).

I wonder if he uses these objects as 'eyes' via tentacles to tell him things, since the real baby first opened one eye and later when it arrives at Mads' feet it opens its eye like the real baby did.

Jashobeam

Im not even going to try to make any sense of it, next thing you know some gafer gets Del Toro's home number and the thread gets locked lol

At 2:12 two tentacles in the black water come and grab the baby doll, slowly bringing it toward Mads while it begins to illuminate (an ability Mads' character seems to possess).

I wonder if he uses these objects as 'eyes' via tentacles to tell him things, since the real baby first opened one eye and later when it arrives at Mads' feet it opens its eye like the real baby did.

They aren't tentacles, just black wires and they were always tied to the doll, they didn't grab it.

Auctopus

Im not even going to try to make any sense of it, next thing you know some gafer gets Del Toro's home number and the thread gets locked lol

bahahaha. Yeah I'm just reading some of the theories, the spirit of Metal Gear GAF has carried on to Death Stranding.

I haven't really been following this game, but this trailer has gotten me interested. Is this a Kojima-owned and developed game with Sony publishing, or is it a Sony-owned game with Kojima developing? Is it PS4 only?

PS4 only for console. PC port after most probably.
Sony are publishing the game.

Heh. Common knowledge semed that it was Guerilla's engine.
In any case we'll know after Kojima's PSX panel.

5olid_5nake

I hope that at the PSX panel they will go more in detail about how many people are working on this, details about the engine, music and inspirations about themes of the game...

I liked the first trailer, but with this one now I know that PS4 is absolutely a MUST in my book.

Drencrom

Just madness....

I'm so glad Sony gave Kojima the opportunity to do a new, crazy IP like this after all those years working on MGS.

Coreda

They aren't tentacles, just black wires and they were always tied to the doll, they didn't grab it.

Are we certain they're not tentacles though? Mads' character has them, a thicker kind, which are retractable and make the skele-soldiers illuminate in a similar fashion.

You're right that it does appear to be attached to the baby prior, the reflection and direction of the wire was misleading as it wasn't being pulled taut.

Also just noticed black hand prints along the wall at 2:59.

Are were certain they're not tentacles though? Mads' character has them, a thicker kind, which are retractable and make the skele-soldiers illuminate in a similar fashion.

You're right that it does appear to be attached to the baby prior, the reflection and direction the wire was misleading as it wasn't being pulled taut.

Also just noticed black hand prints along the wall at 2:59.

Those wires are tied to the crabs' eggs too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225833790&postcount=1092

It seems that wires are tied to anything that gives birth: Human stomach, fetuses, eggs etc.. or related to it like dolls or to the opposite of that like dead (but revived) skeleton soldiers.

I hope that at the PSX panel they will go more in detail about how many people are working on this, details about the engine, music and inspirations about themes of the game...

I liked the first trailer, but with this one now I know that PS4 is absolutely a MUST in my book.

As far as KojiPro's actual team goes, Kojima said he'll cap the studio size at 100. He's looked toward Media Molecule as what he wants his studio to be like, and they're relatively small by AAA standards.

I believe Shinobi when he says it's the Guerilla engine. Absolutely jawdropping is all i can say. Can't wait for the panel so they go more in depth

Everything looks cool, but I don't trust Kojimas storytelling skills at all after MGS5 and Peace Walker.

He lost his golden touch a decade ago.

Fair point. However, this seems a more 'coherent' application of Kojima's insanity, than what we got in the last few MGS. I think his creative interests have diverged for a while from what MGS offers. Began to become evident in MGS 4 and even more so in MGS 5...

Coreda

t seems that wires are tied to anything that gives birth: Human stomach, fetuses, eggs etc.. or related to it like dolls or to the opposite of that like dead (but revived) skeleton soldiers.

Yeah it's interesting. Regardless of what they end up being, the observation was more that potentially inanimate objects could be Mads' eyes to the world.

noomi

The trailer was certainly interesting enough... if it's a proper survival horror type game I'll be happy.

Even if it's more down the line of Dead Space 3, which was an action survival horror type game.

Top Bottom