• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve eyed by Legendary to helm the Dune movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
you didn't like Incendies or Polytechnique?
Incendies is probably my least liked movie of his
ok maybe it's enemies or arrival
. It's very good for the first 2/3 and has an incredibly melodramatic, soapy, and contrived ending. I thought the director was taking its audience for complete idiots.

Prisoners was dope.
Sicario was amazing.
Arrival was complete whatever.
Blade Runner 2049 looks very promising.

Still want to see the rest of his filmography, but Villeneuve seems like a great fit.

7qFBQTh.jpg

Bow to your new master.

jett

D-Member
Fuck this shit. One mediocre movie does not suddenly make 9 great ones nonexistent. You guys are the worst sometimes.

I think I've grown out of the Nol-man.

There was a time when I would consider Batman Begins in my top 10.

There was a time when I would consider The Dark Knight in my top 10.

Nowadays I consider The Prestige to be his best movie, but it's nowhere among my favorites.

I think I've grown out of the Nol-man.

There was a time when I would consider Batman Begins in my top 10.

There was a time when I would consider The Dark Knight in my top 10.

Nowadays I consider The Prestige to be his best movie, but it's nowhere among my favorites.
I agree with this actually. I'm still a fan, i still enjoy (to various degrees) all his films, and I still look forward to anything he does, but he never crosses my mind anymore when I think of the top directors

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Funny how much GAF likes this guy now, but I wanted to discuss Enemy a while ago and nobody cared, lol. Does all this adoration mean people have gone back and watched Enemy and found out how awesome it is? Hope so.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Why are people calling him the GOAT director lately? Because he directed Sicario? It was a good movie, but GOAT? Prisoners was pretty good too.. But, again, where does the GOAT talk come from?

I wouldn't say that I love his films (still looking forward to Arrival), but his direction is pretty good. About Sicario, I felt quite meh about it to be honest mainly because the story didn't interest me.

I still get a little jittery thinking about that goddamned spider at the end.

Having seen this recently I rather think about the beginning with the weird club, which was really strange at the beginning.

Literally 7 minutes away from finishing my second listen of Dune on audiobook. This is this dude's dream? Sounds promising!

Make sure to read all of Herbert's Dune books. God Emperor is amazing.

I still haven't watched a single one of this guy's movies. I have Sicario sitting there. Maybe this weekend...

I would say do it in this order: Sicario, Incendies, Prisoners, Polytechnique, Enemy, Arrival. If you become a fan, then you can watch Maelstrom and Un 32 août sur Terre.

Stasis

I need to watch Enemy and Prisoners. And reread Dune and others. Been a long time.

Quebec's greatest treasure since poutine and Celine! =P

Je niaise, je niaise. Jt'un de vous. Arrachez moi pas la tête, 'sti.

Nolan has made more than one mediocre movie, and more than one
three
in a row now.

Dunkirk prologue was incredible though. 4 minutes better than all of Rogue One following it, I didn't expect it to be that tense.

But then his TDKR prologue was cool too so who knows. But I walked away from this one anticipating it a lot now. And it will be harder to fuck up a script based on a WW2 event with so much exposition.

UrbanRats

Villeneuve and Eggers are my favorite new directors (well new as in I only learned about them recently). The former doing Dune would be incredible. and the latter currently doing Nosferatu is just perfect

Oh, and Saulnier too. Lionsgate wanted him to direct the Sicario sequel, but he had to pass
I'll always prop up Jonathan Glazer.
He took that Kubrick inspiration too far though, and decided to mimic his release ratio, too.
Motherfucker would be much bigger if it wasn't for that, I'm sure.

He's about the same age as Villaneuve, too.

i've only seen 2 of Glazer's movies so far but he seems a lot less populist than Villeneuve. Even kubrick had a broader reach of audiences.

Hella interesting director though.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Still haven't gotten around to watching any of this guy's films yet. Always thought Prisoners looked really good, I need to get on that soon.

About Dune; When it finally happens, I hope to god they make it in 2 parts. There's too much good stuff that needs cut out to fit the story into 1 standalone film. Don't think a trilogy is necessary though.

It'll be very interesting to see what tone they go with as well. And what kind of budget it gets. The absolute worst thing that could happen is if someone tries to go chasing the billion dollar, PG-13 rated blockbuster franchise dream with it. That would be a damn shame, Dune is not suitable for that kind of treatment.

i would stop at God Emperor.

What?!

Man... Heretics and Chapterhouse are awesome, don't deny anybody the pleasure of discovering them!

In fact, I'd say Heretics is the 2nd best book overall. (It's my personal favourite)

UrbanRats

i've only seen 2 of Glazer's movies so far but he seems a lot less populist than Villeneuve. Even kubrick had a broader reach of audiences.

Hella interesting director though.
Uhm, I guess you're right.

Though I'd say Under the Skin is particularly abrasive in style.
I think anyone can enjoy Sexy Beast and Birth.

yeah i take that back, sexy beast was pretty breezy and accessible. still gotta get on Birth.

Under the Skin tho...dope movie but it went full man from earth on us. Saw a few walkouts in the theater lol.

edit: man who fell to earth

UrbanRats

yeah i take that back, sexy beast was pretty breezy and accessible. still gotta get on Birth.

Under the Skin tho...dope movie but it went full man from earth on us. Saw a few walkouts in the theater lol.

edit: man who fell to earth
Get to it man, the movie feels like it's part of the Eyes Wide Shut cinematic universe.
Plus its got an amazing score from Desplat.
My favorite of his, probably next to Tree of Life's.

DavidDesu

I'm convinced Dune can't adequately be told in one movie. We'll see how this goes.

Movie studios have recently adapted pretty short books like the third Hunger games into 2 films, and of course The Hobbit was horrifically drawn out, of course this will be a 5 picture deal! :p

Never seen any of this guys stuff, but read the books and enjoyed the lynch movie, despite its rather bizarre visual mash up.

Hopefully, they don't conform too much the modern humour troupes...I am tired of corny hollywood one liners...

bionic77

What?!

Man... Heretics and Chapterhouse are awesome, don't deny anybody the pleasure of discovering them!

In fact, I'd say Heretics is the 2nd best book overall. (It's my personal favourite)
I was not a fan.

To me the books were about the Atreides and Harkonnens and that awesome world that Herbert created. It was already very far removed from that with God Emperor but there is still an element of it there with the giant ass worm. The first book to me was and remains the best. There was no villain as awesome as the Baron and Paul remained my favorite protagonist.

Once you get to the last two books it is so far removed from that universe and some of the stuff was getting a little too crazy for me (conquering planets with space whores sounds like a fantastic idea but it is difficult to pull off).

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I was not a fan...

Which is totally cool, of course. I just loved the way Frank Herbert was brave enough to do what he did with God Emperor, and then skilled enough to continue the overall story of the Dune universe with a new plot and characters (and it does still tie in with the original conflict between Atreides and Harkonnen, in some ways). I think he really wanted to move on from Paul, and it shows because there's an energy and freshness to Heretics that makes it a great read.

Just imo.

bionic77

Of course, haha.

I understand the sentiment, considering Frank Herbert didn't finish his work, but Heretics and Chapterhouse are both great.

And that sex scene. :)
The real great scene was when Miles Teg went next level. That was like a preview of the Matrix. Very original (for me at least) and really well done.

Maybe I would have liked the last two books if Herbert could have finished them. I tried to read the new stuff but it was all embarrassing garbage so I just gave up. And when I say embarrassing garbage that was embarrassing garbage if it was a fan fiction novel (most of which are better than what I read from the son and whoever the collaborator was, forget his name).

I will always think fondly of this series and the movie though. Very skeptical anyone can do it substantially better than Lynch. It is a really hard series to adapt to the screen.

HotHamBoy

Dune is so much better suited for a tv show on HBO or something.

I just can't see it adapting well to film.

Also, Chapter House and Heritcs are awesome :)

I love all 6 of Herbert's books.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The real great scene was when Miles Teg went next level. That was like a preview of the Matrix. Very original (for me at least) and really well done.

Maybe I would have liked the last two books if Herbert could have finished them. I tried to read the new stuff but it was all embarrassing garbage so I just gave up. And when I say embarrassing garbage that was embarrassing garbage if it was a fan fiction novel (most of which are better than what I read from the son and whoever the collaborator was, forget his name).

I will always think fondly of this series and the movie though. Very skeptical anyone can do it substantially better than Lynch. It is a really hard series to adapt to the screen.

Even as bad as the final books were by his son I think they cover the general storybeats Herbert was going to follow even if done in a terrible manner.

Vazduh

Incendies is probably my least liked movie of his
ok maybe it's enemies or arrival
. It's very good for the first 2/3 and has an incredibly melodramatic, soapy, and contrived ending. I thought the director was taking its audience for complete idiots.

That's one way to look at it (and I certainly wouldn't disagree about the 'contrived' part), but you could also look at it like a modern Greek tragedy of sorts, which was probably the intent.

bionic77

Even as bad as the final books were by his son I think they cover the general storybeats Herbert was going to follow even if done in a terrible manner.
Based on what I read from him I would rather just read a recap in wikipedia.

Dune is so much better suited for a tv show on HBO or something.

I just can't see it adapting well to film.

Also, Chapter House and Heritcs are awesome :)

I love all 6 of Herbert's books.
I still think Lynch did a great job creating a look for the universe. He messed some things up but overall it was masterfully done in my opinion. Also loved the music for the movie.

But it is just a really tough book to adapt to film. Definitely not what I would say is blockbuster friendly.

Maybe I would have liked the last two books if Herbert could have finished them.

While I was reading Heretics and Chapterhouse, I had the feeling it was leading up to something big, to the main course, in the same way Messiah and Children lead up to God-Emperor.

I have no intention of reading the other books. I've heard many times how terrible they are.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Based on what I read from him I would rather just read a recap in wikipedia.

I still think Lynch did a great job creating a look for the universe. He messed some things up but overall it was masterfully done in my opinion. Also loved the music for the movie.

But it is just a really tough book to adapt to film. Definitely not what I would say is blockbuster friendly.

If he'd made the movie he wanted, instead of the studio version, it would have been a masterpiece.

I actually LIKED the Weirding modules, but they just shouldn't have been in THAT movie. But they were a fantastic device to show the quasi supernatural importance of Paul and the Prophecy, but that could have been achieved with the canon. In fact, jarring and misplaced as it was, the "strength of the base of the pillar" being smashed by the "word of god" is a fantastic plot device for a different film. And the pyramid scene is epic. Ironically, they may as well have lasers (oops, not lasers, because shield armageddon) in the actual battles.

But it did sell the (actually pretty nuanced) presentation of Paul both being, and pretending to be, the true Qwisatz Haderach.

Now, here's my deal with Gaf. If I win say, a half billion on the Powerball. Even a 100 million after taxes, I will personally fund up to 10 million dollars for a 4k remaster director's cut. And I will put 5 million towards reshoots or CG adjustments to make it more legit.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If he'd made the movie he wanted, instead of the studio version, it would have been a masterpiece.

I actually LIKED the Weirding modules, but they just shouldn't have been in THAT movie. But they were a fantastic device to show the quasi supernatural importance of Paul and the Prophecy, but that could have been achieved with the canon. In fact, jarring and misplaced as it was, the "strength of the base of the pillar" being smashed by the "word of god" is a fantastic plot device for a different film. And the pyramid scene is epic. Ironically, they may as well have lasers (oops, not lasers, because shield armageddon) in the actual battles.

But it did sell the (actually pretty nuanced) presentation of Paul both being, and pretending to be, the true Qwisatz Haderach.

Now, here's my deal with Gaf. If I win say, a half billion on the Powerball. Even a 100 million after taxes, I will personally fund up to 10 million dollars for a 4k remaster director's cut. And I will put 5 million towards reshoots or CG adjustments to make it more legit.

In this day and age I think a lot of the craziner, even zany elements could be adapted to the screen far better. I'd love to see them recreate the shield fighting where slow steady movements at the last moment where key. Just a lot of crazy visuals that could be translated to the big screen with the right creative team.

bionic77

Even with studio input I still thought it was brilliant. The look of the movie got so many things right. The weirding way was the biggest miss but his adaption was probably better for a movie.

Again it is a very difficult book to successful adapt. I thought Lynch did an amazing job.

Wollan

Hopefully he will take an extra year (or two) for this project. He has hammered out four in a row (to excellent quality) on a yearly basis now.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to read the new stuff but it was all embarrassing garbage so I just gave up. And when I say embarrassing garbage that was embarrassing garbage if it was a fan fiction novel (most of which are better than what I read from the son and whoever the collaborator was, forget his name).

I agree with this, 100%

I have no intention of reading the other books. I've heard many times how terrible they are.

I read about half of the first one. I honestly wish I could somehow burn out that part of my brain, so I would have no memory of it. Terrible is the word.

Pachimari

Funny how much GAF likes this guy now, but I wanted to discuss Enemy a while ago and nobody cared, lol. Does all this adoration mean people have gone back and watched Enemy and found out how awesome it is? Hope so.

I'm gonna watch Enemy for the first time tonight! There setup seems pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom