• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 crashes on PS4 Pro and 1080p?

Redlogic

I feel like a dodged a bullet on this one. I had this crazy crashing issue with NBA 2k17 and luckily was able to exchange my pro for a new one at Best Buy. I do wonder if they are in any way related although I understand the Nba 2k crash affected a small population.

sajj316

Edit... About Poster replied.

Just for the fuck of it... I'm going to list my setup and everything I've tried.

5-6 Month Old PRO
Digital Destiny 2
1TB Seagate Firecuda Internal / 1TB Stock PRO HD External
1080p Output
5.00 Beta 4 Firmware/ 4.73

I had NO improvement with the following

• Switching from 5.00 Beta back to 4.73
  • Disabling Boost Mode
  • Disabling HDCP
  • Rebuilding Database
  • Swapping D2 install location from External to Internal
  • Restoring Content Licenses
  • Deleting/Reinstalling D2
  • Testing games others have reported related to issue RorTR, Diablo 3, Fallout 3... All played fine
  • Crossing my fingers

Thanks this is really helpful!

ValeYard

OK, so I never would've expected this, but from a support chat up on Bungie's forum:

Well keep in mind that PS4 PRO works with a different server as the PS4 standard version, that is why the issue is happening just with the PROs.

Servers just for pros, really? If so, that would be another component of this crashing puzzle.

Good luck.
I'm over here contemplating buying a new Pro. I should just wait for the PC version and try to get a refund from Sony on destiny 2.

Sony won't issue a refund unless you follow every step of their multiple troubleshooting methods with the last being to run the Initialization Setup which will wipe everything from your HD. They don't care that countless people that have already tried that multiple times were still unable to play the game.

My ISP instituted a monthly 1TB bandwith cap recently and I refuse to delete 1TB worth of games just to turn around and tell them that it failed to resolve the issue. And sure, I may not even touch some of those games for a while but it's just the principle of the thing and Sony being stubborn about it.

Agent

OK, so I never would've expected this, but from a support chat up on Bungie's forum:

Servers just for pros, really? If so, that would be another component of this crashing puzzle.

I wouldn't put much stock into that. Customer service people aren't people I would rely on for information in a situation like this. The server thing doesn't make much sense either. How can PS4/PS4 Pro people team up then? It would also go against everything that Sony laid out to developers on how to make Pro/Regular versions of PS4. I feel like there was even a developer policy that outlined you can't separate online parts into PS4/PS4 Pro.

Mezoly

Sony won't issue a refund unless you follow every step of their multiple troubleshooting methods with the last being to run the Initialization Setup which will wipe everything from your HD. They don't care that countless people that have already tried that multiple times were still unable to play the game.

My ISP instituted a monthly 1TB bandwith cap recently and I refuse to delete 1TB worth of games just to turn around and tell them that it failed to resolve the issue. And sure, I may not even touch some of those games for a while but it's just the principle of the thing and Sony being stubborn about it.

Yeah last time I called Sony they made me do all the troubleshooting steps that I have already done. But how they would know if the problem is fixed? if someone has Destiny digitally that could take an hour to download would they call back later?
Also Fuck Cox for their recent 1TB bandwith cap, I have a full 2 TB HDD and I'm dreading that Sony gonna make me delete it all.

Yeah last time I called Sony they made me do all the troubleshooting steps that I have already done. But how they would know if the problem is fixed? if someone has Destiny digitally that could take an hour to download would they call back later?
Also Fuck Cox for their recent 1TB bandwith cap, I have a full 2 TB HDD and I'm dreading that Sony gonna make me delete it all.

That's exactly what I asked them. They said they would give me a Case Number and to call back later. I don't have shit to do until my kids are out of school so I said I'd prefer they sit there on the phone with me for an hour or so while while it downloads. They didn't like that idea.

And Fuckin A! Cox sucks. I have their Ultimate Package and they still cap it at 1TB. I think I saw that now they're generously allowing you to pay an extra $50/month for another 500GBs or some shit like that.

I've noticed if I turn D2 off in rest mode while the app is still running, the next time when I start the Pro up it tries to spit the disc out and doesn't recognize it. Never noticed because most games I have are digital. Is this an issue with the Pro?

In about 7 hours of play, I only had one crash while connected to a 4K tv. About 3 hours of that playtime was on a 1080 set.

idonteven

had that problem on another game some months ago

did a full initalize and that fixed it...i see a lot of people rebuilding database but that aint the same yo

(you lose everything on that ps4 )

make backup saves

le.phat

Ps4 Pro, with an SSD ( seagate ), 1080P screen.

The game locks up within minutes of booting. I had the same issue with No Man's sky, and never got to fix that game. Between No Man's sky I played Stardew Valley, Inside and Persona 5, all with no issues. This is so fucking frustrating. I really don't want to reinitialize my Ps4 without a proper backup.

cakely

People that are affected by this: are you getting crashes every few minutes? Or is it like a once a day thing?

Also, is it a "lock up" or do you get a blue screen with an error message?

I really don't want to reinitialize my Ps4 without a proper backup.

I really wouldn't until there's some sort of definitive proof that this will fix the issue. Too many people are reporting having done that and are still unable to play D2.

People that are affected by this: are you getting crashes every few minutes? Or is it like a once a day thing?

Every few minutes. I've had Crashes with Blue Screens and also several hard system locks. I feel like those that are only reporting a single crash every few hours or once a day may just be a random glitch/bug. The crashing every few minutes thing is a serious problem.

pablito

It was every few minutes until I got to the area where you defend against 3 waves in the first mission. Then pretty much as soon as I got in the game I'd crash in seconds.

I gave it some time, went back in and was able to beat the mission which was like another 10 minutes or so. Crashed again and gave up.

Ocirus

I can sometimes play upwards of 45 minutes before it crashes, but can also get a crash within 30 seconds of landing on a planet (after a fresh boot).

I've experienced both normal crashes (error reporting possible) and hard locks.

Marmelade

I feel like those that are only reporting a single crash every few hours or once a day may just be a random glitch/bug. The crashing every few minutes thing is a serious problem.

That's what I think too
Chances are people who crash within minutes in D2 would be in the same situation with ROTTR

Some of the crashes may be because of the game (devs are looking into it after all), no need to get too paranoid
Don't have destiny 2 but with my faulty Pro ROTTR crashed systematically within minutes, sometimes as soon as I launched it, not once every x hours

Ragnaroz

Apparently I'm one of the lucky ones. My PS4 Pro is silent even in intensive games like HZD and I haven't had a single crash since I bought it 5 months ago. Anyway, I have tested both Destiny 2(1.5h) and RoTR(.5h) and no crashes.

That's what I think too
Chances are people who crash within minutes in D2 would be in the same situation with ROTTR

Well that's another problem right there. I was able to play through Rise of the Tomb Raider without any crashes despite what Graphics Settings I used.

Yet with D2, I can't play for more than probably 3 minutes at a time without the game crashing or the system hard locking.

Mezoly

Well that's another problem right there. I was able to play through Rise of the Tomb Raider without any crashes despite what Graphics Settings I used.

Yet with D2, I can't play for more than probably 3 minutes at a time without the game crashing or the system hard locking.

I wonder if the crash only occurs in RoTR demo and not the full game.

I wonder if the crash only occurs in RoTR demo and not the full game.

Based solely on the fact that this issue has translated from the D2 Beta to the final release build. I would assume that the same would go for RotTR.

For anyone who had issues with Tomb Raider... Was it just a software crash? Or did the system also hard lock like with D2?

ViolentP

Based solely on the fact that this issue has translated from the D2 Beta to the final release build. I would assume that the same would go for RotTR.

For anyone who had issues with Tomb Raider... Was it just a software crash? Or did the system also hard lock like with D2?

Both had identical soft locks in my experience.

Marmelade

In the demo: most of the time, screens freezes that would lead to a checkerboard pattern and then it would show a system error or get stuck like that and I'd have to power down the console
It could even crash in the main menu, before even playing

Well unfortunately that doesn't answer much. Just more variables.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if Bungie would just be a bit more transparent about whatever they may be doing to fix it.

ValeYard

OK, tonight I played for the second time. In the EDZ, nothing much happening, jump across to a building, signal to the TV goes out, ps4 just white light until I long pressed the power off.

This is not cool. I'll be phoning Sony support in the morning and not touching the game until either fixed or I have repaired hardware. The crash almost destroyed my external HDD which needed to be repaired on boot. FFS

danowat

Banned
OK, tonight I played for the second time. In the EDZ, nothing much happening, jump across to a building, signal to the TV goes out, ps4 just white light until I long pressed the power off.

This is not cool. I'll be phoning Sony support in the morning and not touching the game until either fixed or I have repaired hardware. The crash almost destroyed my external HDD which needed to be repaired on boot. FFS
Any hard crash or power outage will require an external hdd to be repaired, so it's not a great idea to keep playing something that crashes often.

Ocirus

I've posted my setup earlier in the thread, but here's a big 'ol info dump, including everything I've tried (for data!)

My system:
-Original November Launch PS4 Pro.
-Running from a physical copy of D2.
-Crashes experienced using both 4K and 1080p.
-Have experienced crashes in both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Diablo III, AND the Destiny 2 Beta.

What I've tried (spoiler:
nothing worked
):

-Turning off Boost Mode (because, hey, why not?)
-Turning off HDCP (via the system menu)
-Unplugging my system, replugging it into a different outlet.
-Booting into Safe Mode > rebuild database
-Uninstall game > Booting into Safe Mode > rebuild database > reinstall game (waited for install to completely finish, so no additional installation was required after starting the game) > idled in orbit for an hour with no issue > went to the
Farm
with no issue > went to
EDZ
and crashed within 5 minutes
-(after the big previous step) Booting into Safe Mode > turn off HDCP (via Safe Mode)

One thing I refuse to try is to initialize my system. It's not worth all the headaches I'd have to deal with after it'll just crash again. Not sending my system in, either, until there's some sort of solid answer. Which, knowing Bungie, will be in approximately 3-5 weeks.

Pretty sure I need to buy Silver before it works.

Koren

The possibility of faulty hardware is scaring me a bit, I must say... I know even less if I should buy a slim or a pro :/

Also Fuck Cox for their recent 1TB bandwith cap
Well, anyone with a 1TB cap is still lucky... Even downloading 24/7, I could barely reach half that in a month ^_^

Though I've received an email saying I may get FTTH in the coming weeks... I don't really care for downloads, but for ping/upload, it'll be a godsend...

ValeYard

Any hard crash or power outage will require an external hdd to be repaired, so it's not a great idea to keep playing something that crashes often.

Yep, I'm one and done with that hard crash.

It seems EDZ causes crashes for lots of people. Could the HDMI signal going out have something to do with HDCP?

Anyway, I'm super bummed. Playing a bit of Destiny was the only thing to distract me from stresses of all sorts right now. The last thing I wanted was to phone Sony support tomorrow. Sorry, woe is me.

I wish they'd get out in front of this, but I still have Stardew Valley not able to run properly on the pro, so I'm not super optimistic right now.

Smokey

Yep, I'm one and done with that hard crash.

It seems EDZ causes crashes for lots of people. Could the HDMI signal going out have something to do with HDCP?

Anyway, I'm super bummed. Playing a bit of Destiny was the only thing to distract me from stresses of all sorts right now. The last thing I wanted was to phone Sony support tomorrow. Sorry, woe is me.

I wish they'd get out in front of this, but I still have Stardew Valley not able to run properly on the pro, so I'm not super optimistic right now.

Desinty 2 is just a tiny bit of a bigger game than Stardew Valley. If these reports pick up, Sony will have to take action.

The possibility of faulty hardware is scaring me a bit, I must say... I know even less if I should buy a slim or a pro

I'm still going to be shocked if this ends up being hardware related. I've never had any issues with my PRO and almost refuse to believe every other game I've played is fine but some tiny hardware defect is what's causing this.

Then again, some people have. Some have had their PRO's repaired and say it works great now. Others have had repairs and are still having this issue.

The only thing I KNOW is that I spent $60 and have gotten maybe 15 total minutes of game play. And that Sony doesn't give a fuck and won't issue a refund.

katsais

Been playing Destiny 2 on my Pro at 1080p all night. It has been buttery smooth. It has been so good that I cancelled one of my XOX pre-orders and bought a Destiny 2 Pro Bundle.

I'm loving the game for PvE (except he shaders crap).

So yea, no issues with 1080p and PS4 Pro. Even my buddies who have been grinding for two days have no issues with the PS4 Pro.

I gotta say, the white PS4 Pro looks amazing in person. Get it!

Been playing Destiny 2 on my Pro at 1080p all night. It has been buttery smooth. It has been so good that I cancelled one of my XOX pre-orders and bought a Destiny 2 Pro Bundle.

I'm loving the game for PvE (except he shaders crap).

So yea, no issues with 1080p and PS4 Pro. Even my buddies who have been grinding for two days have no issues with the PS4 Pro.

I gotta say, the white PS4 Pro looks amazing in person. Get it!

tenor.gif

Mezoly

Just chatted with Sony customer support, and they wanted me to re-initialized the system. I told them about people saying that it doesn't work but they want me to do it anyway.
The rep mentioned they got a ton of Destiny 2 issues but mostly related to servers.

If it didn't fix it the rep said "In case that happened, please contact us back to offer you other option."

Iorv3th

Just chatted with Sony customer support, and they wanted me to re-initialized the system. I told them about people saying that it doesn't work but they want me to do it anyway.
The rep mentioned they are get a ton of Destiny 2 issues but mostly related to servers.

Just tell them you already tried that.

The rep mentioned they got a ton of Destiny 2 issues but mostly related to servers.

If it didn't fix it the rep said "In case that happened, please contact us back to offer you other option."

That's the same way my conversation went with them. I haven't called back yet. I understand that the people who answer the phone are just doing their jobs but fuck if it isn't frustrating as hell just to tell them something won't work only for them to just say they can't help until we do that. I do not want to re-download almost 2TB's of games just so I can tell them it didn't work.

ValeYard

How is it not helping? It's field experience. Out of the box and 8+ hours of playing...no issues. Friends have 24+ hours of playing....field experience.

We know that some people aren't having issues, but a majority of us in the thread are and we are trying to find info on a solve -- and are hoping our hardware doesn't have a problem.

It's a bummer when hardware doesn't work; your post perhaps wasn't super sensitive to that. Glad you are able to enjoy the game though.

Pretty much that ^

Didn't mean to come off like an asshole about it.

However, in some good news, I called Sony back and I'm not sure if it was just my luck getting a sympathetic agent, or if they're just being flooded with the issue, but I was issued a full refund instantly.

If you're like me and had trouble with their Support earlier, try contacting them again now.

Still sucks because I was really looking forward to playing, and maybe I'll try D2 again down the road if the issue is resolved, but I at least feel better now knowing that I'm not stuck with a game I can't play.

Top Bottom