• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 crashes on PS4 Pro and 1080p?

Rellik

I don't get the whole "send it back" thing. Why would I try to send my console in and lose all my data and shit when this has literally been the first game it's ever done this with?

How would you lose all your data on a PS4? There are multiple ways to backup everything and PS+ has cloud saves that are automatically being backed up daily.

For the beta: PS4 Pro on a 1080p set - crashed every time I got to the plaza

Destiny 2 retail (digital): PS4 Pro on a 4k set - crashes when I get to the plaza.

I'm leaning toward defective hardware on this one relating to specific models - when I get home I'll post both the model number and the crash ID.

Exactly the same place mine crashed, where the guys with gas canisters on their backs?

It varies between wave 2 and 3 but generally when there are others in the plaza using their supers adding to particle effects on screen.

Gane crashes as soon as I start walking through the market. Can play for about 5 minutes. Hopefully they patch this soon as it seems to affect a number of people.

Mine crashes when you get to the first social connection. Couldn't get past it in the beta nor can I in the final game. But it doesn't seem to effect all Pro users. I had to switch too my standard PS4 to play the game. Was hoping Bungie had it fixed.
These very specific scenarios do not lead anyone with any technical knowledge to believe it's a hardware issue. Just sayin. Sounds like software issues to me.

sajj316

These very specific scenarios do not lead anyone with any technical knowledge to believe it's a hardware issue. Just sayin. Sounds like software issues to me.

Exactly. I've not had any issues with my Pro since launch. This is the first game that consistently crashes on me.

Edit: For those that crashed, do you put your pro in sleep mode with the game suspended?

hEist

Exactly. I've not had any issues with my Pro since launch. This is the first game that consistently crashes on me.

Edit: For those that crashed, do you put your pro in sleep mode with the game suspended?

Tried all possible solutions. Nope, still crashing (so far 9 times today...)

Rellik

What's leading people to think hardware is the fact this is the third Pro Enhanced game now to cause this issue and people fixing it with new consoles.

But only Sony/Bungie/Blizzard/Square Enix truly know.

ValeYard

What's leading people to think hardware is the fact this is the third Pro Enhanced game now to cause this issue and people fixing it with new consoles.

But only Sony/Bungie/Blizzard/Square Enix truly know.

Yeah, it's a conundrum. People fixing it with new consoles, people not getting it fixed with new consoles, and new consoles having the problem.

I'm not sending in my not even a year old pro for a possible refurb until I know my console is at fault.

mulac

Literally just happened on my Pro. Not far into Destiny2 and it just froze then restarted. This is definitely D2 and not hardware as I've been playing Lost Legacy all day with zero problems.

Error is CE 34878 0.

Plopboy

Unconfirmed Member
Still getting the CE 34878 0 on my standard PS4. Tried everything I can think of but no luck, so i'm returning it to Amazon and I'll get the PC version next month.

Literally just happened on my Pro. Not far into Destiny2 and it just froze then restarted. This is definitely D2 and not hardware as I've been playing Lost Legacy all day with zero problems.

Error is CE 34878 0.

Yeah. My awesome time with Uncharted The Lost Legacy has me thinking it's definitely software related.

Dackelbein

Getting CE 34878 0 once every 1-2 hours (PRO + 4k TV).
Bought my Pro last November, I'm using it almost daily, it ran rock-stable without any crashes until I started Destiny 2.

ValeYard

Getting CE 34878 0 once every 1-2 hours (PRO + 4k TV).
Bought my Pro last November, I'm using it almost daily, it ran rock-stable without any crashes until I started Destiny 2.

Have you tried the RotTR demo. I had a super stable pro, but I did get a crash in that demo.

Iorv3th

Isn't the pro overclocked? I wonder if it just can't handle the OC on certain games.

I know I had a problem with my 970 OC on ROTR on PC, worked on every other game fine but would randomly crash on that one specific game. Once I turned it down it ran fine.

maks

One crash last night. Ps4 pro, 4k hdr enabled and after 30 minutes of playing. Was in the last leg of an adventure so i lost all progress.

Smokey

Those that are having crashes, does the system make a bunch of noise before crashing? Do the fans sound like they're running at full speed to keep the system cool?

Furio53

For me, the common crash theme has been in EDZ doing adventuring or roaming free. Doing Story there didn't crash. but doing adventure missions it would crash almost 100% of the time.
Then I tried going to Titan, and did the first long story mission there, no issues. Did some adventures there, no crashes.

I'm starting to think there is something going on in the EDZ area that is causing this. I'm not sure, but thats the common theme for me.

Agent

You need to actually play it.

I actually did play through the demo for a bit. Climbed up the mountain (and realized how bad I was at the game) and went to the part where it did a flashback. It didn't freeze or crash. Maybe I got lucky though.

Those that are having crashes, does the system make a bunch of noise before crashing? Do the fans sound like they're running at full speed to keep the system cool?

Mine is quiet and you don't hear anything. Horizon Zero Dawn is about the only game I've really heard the fans audibly go into a faster speed. Occasionally you hear them in Battlefield 1 as well, but not like HZD.

One crash last night. Ps4 pro, 4k hdr enabled and after 30 minutes of playing. Was in the last leg of an adventure so i lost all progress.

Adventures are the worst with the crashing issue. I've all but given up on trying to complete them because it's really annoying to run across a planet then have it crash with no progress. Though, I did wrap up the story mission last night to get my
sparrow
so it would make it less painful, but not ideal.

Iorv3th

For me, the common crash theme has been in EDZ doing adventuring or roaming free. Doing Story there didn't crash. but doing adventure missions it would crash almost 100% of the time.
Then I tried going to Titan, and did the first long story mission there, no issues. Did some adventures there, no crashes.

I'm starting to think there is something going on in the EDZ area that is causing this. I'm not sure, but thats the common theme for me.

Same for me. Had 2 crashes in EDZ doing the 'side missions' or whatever they are called. Played through Titan with no problems for over an hour.

Furio53

Same for me. Had 2 crashes in EDZ doing the 'side missions' or whatever they are called. Played through Titan with no problems for over an hour.

Yeah, starting to think this isn't a hardware issue. Looking at the poll and the people on bungie, common theme seems to be EDZ. I hope they figure this out soon, I don't know how it passed cert this way.

ValeYard

Yeah, starting to think this isn't a hardware issue. Looking at the poll and the people on bungie, common theme seems to be EDZ. I hope they figure this out soon, I don't know how it passed cert this way.

My horrible black screen, loss of hdmi signal crash was in adventure mode last night in EDZ. Crazy. Nice have the premium PlayStation experience, that's for sure.

IMACOMPUTA

But the EDZ is the starting area. I haven't gotten past it because it crashes all the time.

I'd say the jury is still out. I guess I'll try to blow past it and hope the rest of the game is fine.

hEist

it can happen anywhere. Didn't have so many problems with the first mission (but the second one). I'm somehow managed (thanks to events) to get to Level 20 but crashes are happening everywhere. It's really annoying, since you can't really progress thru missions, looking for first sectors or even strikes. Not possible to finish them alone.

Mezoly

From our side, there is no way to know if it's software or hardware. As a Software Engineer, my gut feeling this is a hardware issue due to the silence from Blizzard and SE regarding their issues. In my field, if the issues are on the hardware side companies would remain silent because people would freak out when they hear there are faulty devices. But that could be just me projecting. I requested a service from Sony and I would get the box next Wednesday, if Bungie fixed or announced a fix, I could easily just cancel the service with Sony, so I would recommend people start the service process because it would take few days and the picture would be clearer by next week. If Bungie remained silent by mid next week, then it's almost certain it's a hardware issue.

Furio53

From our side, there is no way to know if it's software or hardware. As a Software Engineer, my gut feeling this is a hardware issue due to the silence from Blizzard and SE regarding their issues. In my field, if the issues are on the hardware side companies would remain silent because people would freak out when they hear there are faulty devices. But that could be just me projecting. I requested a service from Sony and I would get the box next Wednesday, if Bungie fixed or announced a fix, I could easily just cancel the service with Sony, so I would recommend people start the service process because it would take few days and the picture would be clearer by next week. If Bungie remained silent by mid next week, then it's almost certain it's a hardware issue.

I'm not sure we can't begin to narrow it down using a QA process. The error is a Sony standard error, which could mean 1 of 2 things. Something in software is triggering an error that is classified under sony's CE identification, or something in hardware is faulting out. Polls seem to indicate PS4 pro is vast majority, but not only hardware platform encountering this.
My personal experience, I crashed 3/3 times in the exact same spot during the 1st adventure mission in EDZ. All of my crashes have been in the beginning areas of the EDZ during free roam/adventure.
I then went to titan and did the story mission, then the first 2 adventure missions without a single crash.
I'm also seeing most people talking about crashing are in EDZ. So anecdotally speaking, the crash seems to be more common in the EDZ which leads me to believe it's a software issue.
However, given that not everyone is experiencing it, I'm not sure. It could be a combination of both, it's hard to tell until Bungie and Sony go through the crash logs and tell us what they're seeing.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Have about 15 hours in the game so far.

Never had a connection issue or crash.

Pro, 1080p set, disc version.

Returners

I'm crashing on Titan doing the missions.

Also crashed doing my 2nd subclass mission. Didn't get mission complete, came back to that mission being gone from Director, I have no idea what happened at the end of that mission.

sajj316

Alright.. up to 10 pages on GAF and I for sure as hell know Bungie lurks on GAF.

This doesn't seem like a hardware issue. I've clocked hours on Destiny with a Pro on boost mode. No other game has ever crashed on me with the Pro. Let's please acknowledge the issue at least .. Bungie.

Mezoly

Alright.. up to 10 pages on GAF and I for sure as hell know Bungie lurks on GAF.

This doesn't seem like a hardware issue. I've clocked hours on Destiny with a Pro on boost mode. No other game has ever crashed on me with the Pro. Let's please acknowledge the issue at least .. Bungie.

Fyi they have acknowledged the issue multiple times on twitter and on the Bungie forums.
Last update 18 hours ago
https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/905973121257050112 Basically still investigating.

I just hope they said they had a patch in the works or confirmed it's a hardware issue.

ValeYard

I mean, at least Bungie has said something. IMO Sony really needs to up its game. Their customer support is pretty terrible -- just say crash on more than one game, yes I reinitialised and have the original HDD in, and you can send your premium console in for repair, perhaps to get a refurb back not even a year after purchase, yippee!

Is it software though? Who knows? Other than RotTR and D2 I've never had this issue. Until D2 launch I thought I had a working console, now I don't know, and can't play my most anticipated game of the year. I know no one cares how I feel, that it's only a first world problem, which feels worse because I'm in depressive space right now, but a bit of info from Bungie or Sony wouldn't be a lot to ask.

Day 2, many missions and 12+ hours later, not a single crash yet.

1080p TV, launch system, physical version, no Beta firmware.

Edit: Speak of the devil. First Crash during matchmaking.

Top Bottom