• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 officially announced (with a logo only) [Up: Cayde-6 Toy Pre-Order Bonus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiggins

Sure seemed like it with the Destiny brand receiving small and major expansions with an all-encompassing Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 classification by Bungie themselves.

Just glad to be getting another major and needed content drop in roughly 5 months.

Well you're kinda getting a content drop tomorrow with Age of Triumph

nOoblet16

It seems to me that people are about 2 years behind when it comes to news regarding Destiny; misquoting things (the 10 year plan), acting like HoW and TTK didn't happen, that it doesn't matter if the game became something completely different just because it was something else at launch. For a game like this what you had at launch does not matter as no one has played that game for over 2 years now.

I love how they think this is enough to get people excited after the disaster that was the first game (vanilla). "A logo is all we need to get those ship jumpers back on board!"
Destiny is:

- The game with the biggest community on GAF
- The console game with one of the most active playerbase
- The game that is constantly on twitch's most played list

"Disaster"

giphy.gif

He ain't wrong. Destiny is a pretty big game and if Destiny 2 makes substantial improvements, it will sell a shitton of copies

The original sold 6.4 million in the first month and currently has 30 million registered players. That's ridiculous for a new IP. And this one has the sequel and "new and improved" hype around it. Plus it's being released on PC.

25 million is by no means at all out of the question.

Primus

Leaks continuing to be correct, that picture looks to confirm the "Last City under attack, Guardians have to take it back" rumors for the start of D2 from a few months ago.

-griffy-

Banned
You know, if the Last City was more than just a skybox in the first game I might have a stronger reaction to this key art for the sequel.

Still looking forward to seeing more.

Destiny was such a shit show for me that I would never pay for those expansions that people said fixed most of the problem.

Unless this is jam packed with content the day it releases I will never give them another dime.

DNAbro

Me: "I'm not going to get hyped about Destiny 2 and be cautious"
*Bungie posts an announcement with no info*
Me: "So when can I preorder."

SgtCobra

This is the most post-Halo Bungie thing ever, just a teaser image showing stuff that was already leaked before without any further info, oh well. Hype I guess.
Watch them only talk about this in their next weekly update without actually revealing anything new. I can hear Deej already say: "there is a time and place for everything, but today, is not that time".

I love how they think this is enough to get people excited after the disaster that was the first game (vanilla). "A logo is all we need to get those ship jumpers back on board!"
This is not for them though. This is to gain some attention from the general public and to hype up the hardcore players who will do the word of mouth stuff.

You know, if the Last City was more than just a skybox in the first game I might have a stronger reaction to this key art for the sequel.

I keep forgetting the Tower was a city beneath. It was such a small, empty hub.

Gudji

Me: "I'm not going to get hyped about Destiny 2 and be cautious"
*Bungie posts an announcement with no info*
Me: "So when can I preorder."

Yeah same. But if the structure of the game hasn't changed, I probably won't pick it up day one.

Apparently the Tower is gone too. It's being seized and taken by the enemies. You'll have to fight to get it back.

No one takes my Tower and gets away with it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/03/destiny-hits-25-million-players-up-5-million-in-3-months

25 million registered users for D1 as of November 2015. Obviously doesn't mean 25 million sold copies, but it's still pretty massive.

Last reported number was over 30 million registered players back on May 5th 2016. The game has entered NPD Top 10 multiple times since then. We also know the game sold over 6.4 million units in launch month alone.

15 million is the absolute minimum number of copies Destiny 1 has sold, and it is very likely in the 20 million range or near it at this point. Destiny 2 will also have a PC version for the first time.

25 million isn't a surprising or large estimate at all. Destiny 2 is likely going to be bigger than Call of Duty

FyreWulff

We found out that they planned several games with big expansion between them from the IW court case. But that was old plan that changed over time [as new delays happened].

that contract was out of date the day it was posted. one of the better things about moving to a new sequel is maybe people will stop dry humping that contract release as relevant information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom