• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: The Final Shape | Launch Trailer

finished the campaign for now. "final boss" took me a few tries. overall satisfied with the missions in the campaign and while it's a little hard sometimes, I don't find it really difficult. I was on a Prismatic Warlock with a Void/Stasis build and Outbreak as my main weapon and was going through the missions pretty smoothly. got the exotic sword quest done too but got the orek from Colony where I would spawn insect nades from kills. not exactly the most ideal roll :messenger_grinning_sweat: . will have to work on getting some other rolls later on I guess. funny it's the sword on our tomb during that event too. will have to work on the other stuff later because I want to see how the new raid goes today.

LordCBH

Now on with Lightfall.

Hmm yeah i need this to end. What's with the 9ft sexual purple dudes? This doesn't feel like Destiny , at all. Fucking awful.

Lightfall was one of the worst gaming experiences I’ve ever had. Piss poor story, stupidly tanky enemies in the overworld, batshit annoying character. Lightfall sucked ass and ruined the entire previous content year for me.

clarky

Gold Member
Lightfall was one of the worst gaming experiences I’ve ever had. Piss poor story, stupidly tanky enemies in the overworld, batshit annoying character. Lightfall sucked ass and ruined the entire previous content year for me.

Going to battle through tonight as i want strand.

Although im not sure why the campaign keeps giving it to me then taking it away? Odd way to introduce a new sub class

Last edited:

LordCBH

Going to battle through tonight as i want strand.

Although im not sure why the campaign keeps giving it to me then taking it away? Odd way to introduce a new sub class

It’s even worse than that, it gives it to you, but basically gives you nothing that makes it actually strong. Strand is worth blocking fully cause it’s really good, but the way the campaign gives it to you is pretty bad.

Also, no spoilers, but the last boss is a fucking frustrating slog filled with cheap bs. So be prepared.

splattered

It’s even worse than that, it gives it to you, but basically gives you nothing that makes it actually strong. Strand is worth blocking fully cause it’s really good, but the way the campaign gives it to you is pretty bad.

Also, no spoilers, but the last boss is a fucking frustrating slog filled with cheap bs. So be prepared.

Have they not updated how you obtain the strand fragments at least with this new expansion? I didn't play last two seasons and don't even remember if i bothered to get all the strand fragments...

FYI everyone Destiny 2 players are live on Twitch right now as it's raid day... there will prob be emblem twitch drops and stuff if you watch.

LordCBH

Have they not updated how you obtain the strand fragments at least with this new expansion? I didn't play last two seasons and don't even remember if i bothered to get all the strand fragments...

FYI everyone Destiny 2 players are live on Twitch right now as it's raid day... there will prob be emblem twitch drops and stuff if you watch.

Yes and no. They updated the amount of strand meditations you need per fragment. They cut the amount from 200 per to 100 per. It’s still a grind to unlock them all

Raven117

Gold Member
I don't think I really got into any story spoilers, but now worries. I will say now that I'm post campaign, that they've really stepped up how the patrol zone works. I'm actually having fun with it. Witch Queen's was fine, but kind of standard patrols. Lightfall was dreadful, red sword difficulty enemies that just weren't fun, especially for anyone who just played campaign on normal... they had to be like WTF... but threshers and tanks just randomly sneak up behind you and one-shot you.

I'm really glad they redesigned the patrol zone concept.
Awesome to hear! I hope to finish up this weekend.
The biggest question for me:

Is it better than D1 Taken King?
That was a good time…. Hard to make that call due to simply some of the nostalgia and the end of an era kind of thing going on in The Final Shape.

For me. It’s up there just in terms of enjoying what’s going on.

Bry0

Yeah lightfall was shockingly terrible, and ugly. The city and the texture work was incredibly bland and lifeless and ugly. It almost looked unfinished, New Mombassa in ODST from 2009 looked like a more detailed and plausible city scape on an artistic and technical level. I was really disappointed with that expansion from the first 30 minutes frankly. I’m only a few missions into TFS but it’s already a lot more interesting visually, and the new enemies are decent enough.

LordCBH

Yeah lightfall was shockingly terrible, and ugly. The city and the texture work was incredibly bland and lifeless and ugly. It almost looked unfinished, New Mombassa in ODST from 2009 looked like a more detailed and plausible city scape on an artistic and technical level. I was really disappointed with that expansion from the first 30 minutes frankly. I’m only a few missions into TFS but it’s already a lot more interesting visually, and the new enemies are decent enough.

Man if the new location was like it was in the trailers where you were jumping and swinging between buildings in a big city it could’ve at least been fun to explore. But they showed that and then plopped us in the suburbs lol

Varteras

Gold Member
Initial reviews are promising.

jxbz4H1.png

Kerotan

Played the free intro and watched the cutscenes. Impressive. Will buy it in August when back from my holidays.

Killjoy-NL

Initial reviews are promising.

jxbz4H1.png
Really tempted to jump back in.

Man, I really miss raiding like in D1.
I did nothing but, even if I already got all my weekly drops on tuesdays.
The rest of the week I kept helping others run the raids hardcore.

Darchaos

Holy shit, Bungie actually did it! They managed to do something fantastic to end the 10 years of this storyarc and give the feeling of: Im done know, i can walk away. What an amazing way to end it, good job Bungie, good job!

SkylineRKR

Some of my best gaming memories are the D1 raids. Nothing else quite like them in gaming.

i hate Destiny 2 but I have to agree. D1, for all its faults, was fantastic in raids. Especially Vault of Glass. Clearing that the first time was something epic. I was nervous for the final fight even, you don't want to be that guy causing a wipe. I got carried, then got very adept at VoG and carried others myself (I ended up being shield bearer a lot). I prefered non-cheese. I found it more satisfactory to beat the Templar and Atheon legit. Then I got the Vex Mythoclast... like a day after its nerf lol.

clarky

Gold Member
i hate Destiny 2 but I have to agree. D1, for all its faults, was fantastic in raids. Especially Vault of Glass. Clearing that the first time was something epic. I was nervous for the final fight even, you don't want to be that guy causing a wipe. I got carried, then got very adept at VoG and carried others myself (I ended up being shield bearer a lot). I prefered non-cheese. I found it more satisfactory to beat the Templar and Atheon legit. Then I got the Vex Mythoclast... like a day after its nerf lol.
OG Vault and WOTM are stone cold classic gaming for me.

The drops from Vault where godlike. I got Fatebringer on my very first run not knowing what it was.

SkylineRKR

OG Vault and WOTM are stone cold classic gaming for me.

The drops from Vault where godlike. I got Fatebringer on my very first run not knowing what it was.

Yeah those weapons were powerful for sure. The Epilogue was a good primary. Corrective Measure was downright broken. 300 bullets on heavy pickup. I got lots of reign of terror medals by just using this one. The sniper was extremely good for PvP too. The shotgun was OP as fuck, i think it was better than Invective at the time. The Rocket launcher was decent. The Timepiece was OP in Arc nightfalls. Fatebringer and Vision of Confluence were OP in general. I think I only never got the Foil, but it was very strong as well.

Crota's End weapons were way worse in comparison, King's Fall too. After that I dropped the game.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah those weapons were powerful for sure. The Epilogue was a good primary. Corrective Measure was downright broken. 300 bullets on heavy pickup. I got lots of reign of terror medals by just using this one. The sniper was extremely good for PvP too. The shotgun was OP as fuck, i think it was better than Invective at the time. The Rocket launcher was decent. The Timepiece was OP in Arc nightfalls. Fatebringer and Vision of Confluence were OP in general. I think I only never got the Foil, but it was very strong as well.

Crota's End weapons were way worse in comparison, King's Fall too. After that I dropped the game.

Oh man, vision of confluence.... shit was my jam. Must've put thousands of kills on mine.l

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I've never thrown or smashed a controller in my entire life...until now.

Dissent mission final boss is the holy trinity of dog shit game design. This entire expansion is the most obnoxious dog shit encounter design I've ever encountered.

Fuck Bungie for phoning it in and not testing this at fuckin all it feels like for Hunters trying to solo this. I'm at 1944 light and every weapon minus thunderlord might as well be a pea shooter.

Who in their right mind thought doing 5 bosses in one session was a good idea? Oh yeah they'll feel challenge and great about the boss spawning you from mid room, while you fight another boss and 10 guys while the main boss also creates a giant circle of electricity so you can't even use 40% of the fighting space. Oh wait! Let's make sure the adds are all assholes who rush you, blow up and create martrydom, oh and top it off by not letting them recover health by adding in flying gargoyle assholes in the second half of the fight.

We are so smart hehehehe.

Fuck this game and fuck Bungie.

phvk

Neo Member

Dissent mission final boss is the holy trinity of dog shit game design. This entire expansion is the most obnoxious dog shit encounter design I've ever encountered.

Fuck Bungie for phoning it in and not testing this at fuckin all it feels like for Hunters trying to solo this. I'm at 1944 light and every weapon minus thunderlord might as well be a pea shooter.

Who in their right mind thought doing 5 bosses in one session was a good idea? Oh yeah they'll feel challenge and great about the boss spawning you from mid room, while you fight another boss and 10 guys while the main boss also creates a giant circle of electricity so you can't even use 40% of the fighting space. Oh wait! Let's make sure the adds are all assholes who rush you, blow up and create martrydom, oh and top it off by not letting them recover health by adding in flying gargoyle assholes in the second half of the fight.

git gud

clarky

Gold Member
Those are huge red flags, dropping a review score 4 days into a new expac and it like dropping a review for a mmo week 1.
Its mainly for the campaign, like they did with MW3.

You can't judge a Destiny expansion properly for a month or 2 unless it completely sucks like vanilla D2 or Lightfall.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
200w.gif

I know I’ll beat it eventually but it’s such a donkey shit design encounter who cares?

A game like Elden Ring rewards you for overcoming a hard boss.

Bungie will give me a blue loot item and a forgetful mission 1 year from now.

clarky

Gold Member

Fuck me you weren't kidding on the Calus fight. Polaris lanced him in the end. There some side content to do but i can safely say that was the worst one of the newer expansion by far. Curse of Osiris tops the list but that was more of a season, but yeah Lightfall shit/10.

Done now though thank fuck onto the new stuff.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Fuck me you weren't kidding on the Calus fight. Polaris lanced him in the end. There some side content to do but i can safely say that was the worst one of the newer expansion by far. Curse of Osiris tops the list but that was more of a season, but yeah Lightfall shit/10.

Done now though thank fuck onto the new stuff.

Really controversial opinion, but I preferred Curse over Lightfall. Curse at least didn’t have Nimbus.

clarky

Gold Member
Really controversial opinion, but I preferred Curse over Lightfall. Curse at least didn’t have Nimbus.
Anything without that cunt is instantly better. (Although Curse was really really bad and nearly killed the whole thing if memory serves).
Me with my Fatebringer lol
Got that on my first ever run og VOG, like i said earlier the weapon drops from that raid were insane.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Got that on my first ever run og VOG, like i said earlier the weapon drops from that raid were insane.

GOAT weapon in the first game, and still GOAT in the second. That crispy Timelost version has stayed in my inventory since I got it

clarky

Gold Member
GOAT weapon in the first game, and still GOAT in the second. That crispy Timelost version has stayed in my inventory since I got it
I don't have it in D2, maybe i'll run VOG again someday, quite enjoying being back in the game just now.

I have to say, i've just done the first mission in The Final Shape and the step up in quality from Lightfall is insane. Great start.

Raven117

Gold Member
Those are huge red flags, dropping a review score 4 days into a new expac for destiny is like dropping a review for a mmo week 1.
Sure. As always, there will be backlash at the end game… not enough to do (as told by no lifers)… and all the rest.

That said… the narrative and overall first week of this with the raid is about as peak destiny as it gets. The narrative, probably the best they ever have done (Ie, it’s actually coherent).

After that absolutely terrible lightfall… I don’t think many thought Bungie still had a team talented enough to stick the landing that they hadn’t already moved to another project. But here we are. They actually stuck the landing.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Seems like a you problem, it was fantastic

havoc00

Game has been shit for a min now pvp is the worst, so glad I deleted it and didnt get suckered in for the last 3 expansions

Darchaos

Dont sleep on Dragons Breath for the legend campaing, i started to use it from the mission before this and yeah, that helped alot.

Ogbert

It’s ok.

I like Prismatic. It’s fun and will allow for some very fun builds.

The story is obviously absurd - complete drivel.

I don’t like the mission design. Feels like busy work.

Also, feels like a very significant visual downgrade on PS5, to maintain the 60fps.

Freeman76

Does this expansion actually have some long term content or is it another 3 hours of missions and then back to the usual rotation? I skipped lightfall because i was tired of their business model but this actually looks good from what i have seen

clarky

Gold Member
On the last mission now. So far one of the better campaigns.

The game is really showing its age now though, it looks really dated in parts.

Varteras

Gold Member
On the last mission now. So far one of the better campaigns.

The game is really showing its age now though, it looks really dated in parts.

I'm willing to bet that before this season is over we'll hear that there is not another expansion coming. They'll do some other stuff in the meantime. Then announce Destiny 3. I think they're going to want to make some big additions, changes, and improvements that just wouldn't work in the currently established game. The Final Shape being the last expansion of the Light and Dark Saga and of Destiny 2 would be fitting.

clarky

Gold Member
I'm willing to bet that before this season is over we'll hear that there is not another expansion coming. They'll do some other stuff in the meantime. Then announce Destiny 3. I think they're going to want to make some big additions, changes, and improvements that just wouldn't work in the currently established game. The Final Shape being the last expansion of the Light and Dark Saga and of Destiny 2 would be fitting.
Funnily enough your absolutely spot on.

They already teased it today:

Edit wait you said NOT. my bad.

Last edited:

simpatico

How much SP content is here? I got through all but the last couple expansions. I wouldn't mind finishing it off if the value is there.

Varteras

Gold Member
They should have had Destiny 3 almost ready to go if you ask me. Why they would "end" it without a proper follow up coming i do not know.

I'm curious what this Frontiers tease is. It's likely an expansion, but not necessarily. I'll be keeping my eyes out for it. I'm hoping that if they do stick with Destiny 2 that they'll make huge changes. They put out a survey a while back and one of the things they asked is if people would want space combat. I absolutely want that. It always stuck like a thorn in my side that we can get these neat ships but all they do is act as loading screen decorations.

clarky

Gold Member
How much SP content is here? I got through all but the last couple expansions. I wouldn't mind finishing it off if the value is there.
I started last Monday with the witch queen. im just about to finish the final shape. I wanted to put a full stop on the series after playing so much this past decade.

Lightfall was bloody awful , but i have really enjoyed both the WQ and TFS.

both around 8 or so hours on normal difficulty. Recommended if your a lapsed player like myself.

clarky

Gold Member
I'm curious what this Frontiers tease is. It's likely an expansion, but not necessarily. I'll be keeping my eyes out for it. I'm hoping that if they do stick with Destiny 2 that they'll make huge changes. They put out a survey a while back and one of the things they asked is if people would want space combat. I absolutely want that. It always stuck like a thorn in my side that we can get these neat ships but all they do is act as loading screen decorations.
General consensus in the community appears to be we'll take control of the dreadnought at the end of the 3rd season this year and piss of into another galaxy with it, changing the game completely for frontiers.

simpatico

I started last Monday with the witch queen. im just about to finish the final shape. I wanted to put a full stop on the series after playing so much this past decade.

both around 8 or so hours on normal difficulty. Recommended if your a lapsed player like myself.
I've got Witchqueen but nothing after. I've seen enough of Lightfall to be willing to skip it. What's the best way to go about getting all this content? Just buying all the expacs? Bungie makes that part kind of confusing. Can I just grab that Legacy Edition that's on sale?

Varteras

Gold Member

Witch Queen was the last time I played. I really enjoyed it but got caught up in other games. Didn't bother going back for Lightfall when I heard how bad it was.

General consensus in the community appears to be we'll take control of the dreadnought at the end of the 3rd season this year and piss of into another galaxy with it, changing the game completely for frontiers.

OMG that would be awesome. I wonder if we'll go to the galaxy of the Ecumene that the Hive wiped out a long time ago.

Top Bottom