• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Mark me down for #TeamReal, although I'm sure it's just a devkit version and not what the final consumer version will be.

Why not, Sony's is as it was from the very beginning. So is Sega's original configuration still being used today.

And to answer your question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick

I never excluded the 360 controller. It's in there.
Sony not even in this conversation. You can end that there they kirby every controller.

Ok I give you that Atari put out the joystick but the analog stick that we talking about today is the Nintendo analog stick.

(Is there a community thread for this type of thing? We could go off in there lol)

JNT

Looks gimmicky enough to be true. Seriously, fake or no fake, I hope Nintendo does not continue on this path.

the sad fact that all devs are lazy bums+false journalism made the wii u a complete failure,sadly.
the initial idea(have a look at nintendoland) looked promising.

Sorry had to post this again for a new page.

Does anyone really believe this?
Because if so, seek help.

Peru

Personally I want buttons on a controller or an NX handheld. But this likely fake mock up does illustrate one point: You can have a full wide-screen format screen in between the sticks and then added screen real estate on the side for style. The screen information on the side would not show anything essential, but be a cool flourish and nothing important will be blocked by your fingers.

Still, I need buttons.

213372bu

Banned
I like how maybe one or two posters mentioned that the guy on Reddit's story is beyond suspicious.

Like the dude said he got it because he was a game dev.

Then he said he doesn't even know if Nintendo gave it to him and that the logo is covered by black cellophane tape.

He also said he might not be able to post a pic or video because it's not in his office.

And still a large amount of people are just willing to accept it as real.

Nanashrew

Banned
So let's recap. This Idriss2Dev guy posts this image, says he's a game dev, says it's not his office, the logo is blocked by tape. Also says he'll "take video of it, but no promises."

The patent only described possible functionality of free form display and button and paddle ideas and placement. It was NOT a design patent. And before anyone brings up the Wii U Gamepad and Wii remote design patents, those came after the reveal of the systems. Hell, the design patent for the Wii remote was done in 2008 not a year before the system was shown or the year it was shown.

I honestly don't know how anyone could take this as real.

For the new page.

EDIT: Also what 213372bu said.

Zekes!

Man I sure hope Nintendo sticks with a second screen controller.

The Wii U gamepad isn't perfect but losing that functionality would be a step back. Think about creating Miiverse posts without the second screen. It would be terrible. I also like having a separate screen in which some of the less vital HUD and UI features can occupy.

Schnozberry

I like how maybe one or two posters mentioned that the guy on Reddit's story is beyond suspicious.

Then he said he doesn't even know if Nintendo gave it to him and that the logo is covered by black cellophane tape.

He also said he might not be able to post a pic or video because it's not in his office.

Dude is super shady. He later posted that he wasn't even sure if it was for the NX. Honestly it looks like bad photoshop of a rear view mirror that has camera and a microphone array.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Looks gimmicky enough to be true. Seriously, fake or no fake, I hope Nintendo does not continue on this path.

You fall for Sony's and Microsoft's viral marketing so easily, it's disappointing. Any innovation from Nintendo is a gimmick. From motion controls, to touch screen(which by the way revolutionized interface for everything) or new buttons for gameplay.

If the others do it it's a grand innovation right? It's a revolution, like VR. That's not gimmicky at all.

Haha, I take the complete opposite view

Fake leakers have answers for everything. You catch them when they eventually contradict themselves or lie about something that can be proved

This guy doesn't have all the answers and he's honest about it. English is clearly not his first language so I'm more forgiving over some of the odder phrasings he's put forth

I'm also bothered by the fact that the controller is white. That means that logically the console, if there's a console, will also be white.

That won't help shedding the husk of their past two systems one bit.

jonno394

I hope to God it's fake because it looks awful and as many have pointed out, uncomfortable.

Looking forward to more fakes and hopefully legit leaks over the next few months. Fun times ahead!

Malus

Haha, I take the complete opposite view

Fake leakers have answers for everything. You catch them when they eventually contradict themselves or lie about something that can be proved

This guy doesn't have all the answers and he's honest about it. English is clearly not his first language so I'm more forgiving over some of the odder phrasings he's put forth

It's true, the leakers odd answers just makes it more interesting lol.

tumblr_ntmjj1nqMH1usef1ro1_500.png

jax

Banned

it could be real. Maybe he just doesn't know.

Pandy

Team fake.

That said, I'm lol'ing at all the people criticising the design itself as being a huge mistake without having ever held the thing.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm also bothered by the fact that the controller is white. That means that logically the console, if there's a console, will also be white.

Wait, what color should they go for? Wii and Wii U both have black and white variants. Grey? Purple? I'm partial to blue myself.

lol

they tried to actually copy the patent look??? who does that?
what's next? a console which looks like a white cube with beams coming out of it's vents?

faker as fake

Sony not even in this conversation. You can end that there they kirby every controller.

Ok I give you that Atari put out the joystick but the analog stick that we talking about today is the Nintendo analog stick.

(Is there a community thread for this type of thing? We could go off in there lol)
I'm not arguing anything else but the fact that when Sony designed their analogue controller, they set the mold that Nintendo would use later on (yes I know Nintendo created the basic controller we use today).

The N64 controller was just an overly complex thing for no real good reason. A simple shift to the left and the whole "claw" design could have been avoided.

And I was just making a comment in passing but dude started with me and I should have gone to bed an hour ago. You know how that is lol.

jax

Banned

Because there wasn't a black Wii U or a black Wii

How he dont know where its from? lol

And how does him not being able to get a picture because its not in his office means its fake?

I think its fake but the reasoning to debunk it is just as jank

I was expecting some traditional console from them with something like pro controller. It seems Nintendo might be planning something entirely different. But if this leak is true then Nintendo might face another Wii U like situation. As of now Xbox One controller / dual shock 4 / Wii U pro controller have perfected the design. There is no need for reinventing the wheel.

BowieZ

Banned

Again, it could just be a devkit version. The final version might be marketed as black, and I'd even go so far as to assume it would be.

Daft Punk

Banned
You fall for Sony's and Microsoft's viral marketing so easily, it's disappointing. Any innovation from Nintendo is a gimmick. From motion controls, to touch screen(which by the way revolutionized interface for everything) or new buttons for gameplay.

If the others do it it's a grand innovation right? It's a revolution, like VR. That's not gimmicky at all.

Calm down on the confirmation bias sir. It doesn't take a Sony or MS fanboy to look at something and see that it's gimmicky. Gimmicky doesn't automatically mean it's a negative.

Illucio

Banned
#teamfake

There are too many flaws with the design for it to be Nintendo. Even the Wii U tablet and Wii Controllers looked like they we're at least well designed. This just looks like it will break and couldn't survive Nintendo's drop test.

ReyVGM

What would even be the point of having a screen take up the whole controller?

Your thumbs would just cover the left and right sides of it, so why even have part of the screen there? I would rather play in a rectangle screen like the WiiU's controller than that screen interrupted by analog sticks.

Funny thing is that still so many people believe it could (!) be real. Including myself. Because touch screen buttons or "innovative design", that's just classic Nintendo: chasing the dragon of Wii's success no matter what. The WiiU's tablet failed, and this will fail, too.

So, let's all hope that this is just a stupid hoax and Nintendo delivers a boring, but ergonomic and proper standard controller. It's time Nintendo realizes that a home console's services have to be innovative, not the controller itself.

Anth0ny

VR is a stupid ass gimmick too

timshundo

Regardless of if its real or not (it's not) I think we can all agree that that this is the best time to be a Nintendo nerd: pre-console unveiling hype. I remember doing a bunch of "Nintendo Revolution" UI mocks and controller ideas that got passed around with crazed nerds asking if they were real leaks or not, even though my username was in the bottom left corner lol. Fun fun fun. Just do a google search for "Nintendo revolution concept leak" or "project cafe leaks."

DJwest

Wouldn't even be surprised if this was real, Nintendo gonna Nintendo. I'd love to be proven wrong but I fully expect the NX to be a mess.

Nanashrew

Banned

Your thumbs would just cover the left and right sides of it, so why even have part of the screen there? I would rather play in a rectangle screen like the WiiU's controller than that screen interrupted by analog sticks.

That's why the patent also discussed different ways of cutting the screen and make room for your thumb and buttons. It was really only a patent discussing different functionalities and possible uses and nothing more.

Wait, what color should they go for? Wii and Wii U both have black and white variants. Grey? Purple? I'm partial to blue myself.
I think it's best they stay away from white and purple.

And yeah ofc they had black systems as well, but the general public associated the systems more with white.

Again, it could just be a devkit version. The final version might be marketed as black, and I'd even go so far as to assume it would be.
That's true it's hardly final (or maybe even real), I just worry.

Because there wasn't a black Wii U or a black Wii
Not in the minds of a lot of the public there weren't.

The white consoles were by far more prevalent than the black ones in promotion. Especially with the Wii. Plus with the history of the other two console makers predominantly choosing black consoles, it further strengthened Nintendo's association to the white console.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I was expecting some traditional console from them with something like pro controller. It seems Nintendo might be planning something entirely different. But if this leak is true then Nintendo might face another Wii U like situation. As of now Xbox One controller / dual shock 4 / Wii U pro controller have perfected the design. There is no need for reinventing the wheel.

This is more likely the NX handheld, not the NX console controller. If it's real. They had so many problems with the WiiU controller (production costs), they will not do it again.

Malus

It will look cool in display cases and on commercials (when people aren't holding it). Bam, all the reasons you need.

Your thumbs won't cover up that much of the side of the screen, but really outside of it looking cool I don't see much use. And judging by this thread the cool factor is not agreed upon by everyone. I guess I could see the screen interacting with the buttons in some way but that remains to be seen.

Regardless of if its real or not (it's not) I think we can all agree that that this is the best time to be a Nintendo nerd: pre-console unveiling hype. I remember doing a bunch of "Nintendo Revolution" UI mocks and controller ideas that got passed around with crazed nerds asking if they were real leaks or not, even though my username was in the bottom left corner lol. Fun fun fun. Just do a google search for "Nintendo revolution concept leak" or "project cafe leaks."

The best time to be a Nintendo nerd is when I have Zelda in my hands god damnit.

Anth0ny

I think I prefer "EAD Tokyo just released their game" hype over pre-console unveiling "hype".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom