• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaisse

People likes things that looks cool and futuristic, like the Samsung edge phones... also the info around the buttons would look great.

More than UI elements around the buttons, nintendo explained in the patent how a more immersive screen with sticks build into it could bring new ways to play.

How fat are your damn thumbs if you think they're gonna cover half the screen?

If this thing flops, I'm blaming fat people.

People are assuming there will be grips that allow you to hold it like a normal controller. Based on the prototype, you would hold it like a phone or Vita, meaning you would be covering up the edges (maybe more so given the oval shape being cradled more than usual in the hands), as well as the thumbs. Plus, the buttons seem to also be in the normal viewing space so the screen will occasionally be obscured there.

How do you hold a controller!? Why would your hands be over the screen?

I'm being forced to post my own image again, but:

5QPezld.jpg

Thumbs barely cover anything.

My issue is you have system resources being completely wasted by rendering in areas that are going to be obscured. It makes no sense.

javac

Could be, but who the hell knows how this will shake out.

True, the tech demo running on the system is one used for mobiles (reference material is running on the Nexus 5) but for all we know the home console runs on mobile parts and I think that it was pointed out earlier that Epic used mobile tech demo's for the Wii U (Link) so anything is game but I see this being a handheld due to lack of grips unless that is due to this being a prototype, or indeed fake (doubtful).

jblank83

Same here. But then if it's not better for gameplay, what's the point? Are moveable buttons that big a deal? I just have a hard time seeing the appeal.

Purely speculation based on the what-if scenario of this being real: because it looks cool and you need to appeal to people to make them buy something. The cool looking part being as shown in the mockup video: the ability to repaint the buttons at will, with different colors or different pictures.

Pretty neat.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I mean the black rectangle next to the camera

Probably the logo, codename, or actual name of the device. Either that or serial numbers so the Ninjas know who to go after.

My issue is you have system resources being completely wasted by rendering in areas that are going to be obscured. It makes no sense.

1) Not every game has to render anything in those areas
2) Not every game has to demand that the player use the sticks
3) Any game on a smartphone or that has any kind of HUD renders in areas that are going to be obscured

Sini

Because whoever took the picture doesn't get to be alone with the devkit all day and this was a quick photo taken before anyone could realize s/he had done so? Smartphone cameras may be very precise nowadays but they still need a second or two to focus.

Second or two to focus? Have you used smartphone camera in last 5 years? They focus and take photos almost instantly.

Also, I hope it's not real controller or that it's handheld. I really wish for Nintendo console that would be attractive for me and devs.

javac

The idea would be to use that as peripheral vision not unlike the Philips Ambilight tech, at the same time its true that this extra screen estate will require 'wasted' GPU and CPU resources to render which could in theory be used instead to make the image on a 'traditional' rectangle screen higher fidelity.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Because whoever took the picture doesn't get to be alone with the devkit all day and this was a quick photo taken before anyone could realize s/he had done so? Smartphone cameras may be very precise nowadays but they still need a second or two to focus.

But he took the time to frame the note saying You Will Say Wow?

Rösti;198611791 said:
Alright, alright, I will provide you a brief elucidation. What the embodiment in the image is representative of I do not know, it may or may not be a prototype related to the project of interest, it may or may not be a final design to the consumer. What I do know is what I originally said, and that x distinguished excellencies/individuals have expressed indignation about this situation (and earlier events this year).

Andele mama E.I. E.I. uh oh

Rosti is Nelly confirmed

wrowa

Second or two to focus? Have you used smartphone camera in last 5 years? They focus and take photos almost instantly.

What strikes me as odd is mostly that the person had time to write a post-it, but didn't have the additional second to focus the camera.

Edit: Damn you BY2K! :p

I don't see the excitement over having custom "buttons" via HUD elements. Smartphones have been doing this for years, and it's neither novel nor functional enough to make up for the lack of true tactility.

I'm more excited by the prospect of the scroll triggers.

trebbble

Even from a workflow perspective, it's odd. It offloads ergonomic and UX control problems on each individual developer, who have to consider them in tandem with gameplay real estate.

Plus, outside of car HUDs, I can't recall any screen in this aspect ratio. it would be odd to develop for, barring mattes on the outside that force a 16x9 ratio in the middle of the device... but if that's all you're using the extra screen for, what's the point?

Oh well, I can wait... E3 is only a few months away :)

OmarLexus

This has probably been stated a million times, but that screen totally looks like it's made for those Pokken arcade controllers if you trim off the top.

Protann

If this is real, I'm a bit nervous about the lack of a d-pad. The free form buttons that supposedly rise up might be cool, but can they form a d-pad? I sure hope you can pop one of those sticks off and pop in a d-pad, or something.

Rvaisse

Purely speculation based on the what-if scenario of this being real: because it looks cool and you need to appeal to people to make them buy something. The cool looking part being as shown in the mockup video: the ability to repaint the buttons at will, with different colors or different pictures.

Pretty neat.

There's a lot of potential other than colouring the buttons or UI enhancement:
Imagine Mario Sunshine NX, you spray water with the right stick, you could actually see the water coming from the stick itself, or in Luigi's mansion you could suck the ghosts right into a button.

Harmen

How do you hold a controller!? Why would your hands be over the screen?

I'm being forced to post my own image again, but:

5QPezld.jpg

Thumbs barely cover anything.

That is assuming the player will only use the sticks. I think the idea behind this thing (real or not) is that the buttons will be on the screen somewhere, tailored to the game being played. I don't think it is a huge problem or anything myself, but I do think your thumbs will be covering the screen more than just the angles towards the sticks in many titles (and a lot depends on how large the actual thing would be).

gafneo

Banned
Headtracked viewport scrolling.

hey it's a better answer than saying they made a meticulous model but couldn't find the skill to crop an image centrally.

That was a still image. No hud anywhere. 90 percent of the pic is missing. Theres no way people can debate its real.

jax

Banned
That is assuming the player will only use the sticks. I think the idea behind this thing (real or not) is that the buttons will be on the screen somewhere, tailored to the game being played. I don't think it is a huge problem or anything myself, but I do think your thumbs will be covering the screen more than just the angles towards the sticks in many titles.
In this mockup there is plenty of space for buttons that don't obscure anything that would have already been non-visible.

Rvaisse

In this mockup there is plenty of space for buttons that don't obscure anything that would have already been non-visible.

yep + millions of people are using and playing games on their smartphone everyday and no one complain about hiding the screen with their fingers.

That was a still image. No hud anywhere. 90 percent of the pic is missing. Theres no way people can debate its real.

why would there be a hud? what does 90% mean? The pic is showing over 50% of the height and 90% of the width of the full frame.
What was a still image? the jpeg?

yep + millions of people are using and playing games on their smartphone everyday and no one complain about hiding the screen with their fingers.

Not to mention that in most of the use cases where you're operating this thing like a regular controller, you'll probably be looking at the TV most of the time.

If it has 3D Touch like the iPhone 6s then it would make digital buttons maybe work a little better, but I still feel like not having a D-Pad is a mistake. I like buttons. I want buttons.

gafneo

Banned
why would there be a hud? what does 90% mean? The pic is showing over 50% of the height and 90% of the width of the full frame.
What was a still image? the jpeg?

So the game takes place 20 feet above tbe ground? Are you playing as a Mech squeezing through tight spaces?

jblank83

There's a lot of potential other than colouring the buttons or UI enhancement:
Imagine Mario Sunshine NX, you spray water with the right stick, you could actually see the water coming from the stick itself, or in Luigi's mansion you could suck the ghosts right into a button.

That does sound great.

If you guys are certain that it's a possibility that the tech demo just renders everything zoomed in, can someone cut several scenes from the trailer in that aspect ratio to see if it makes sense?

Harmen

Like I said, I do not think it is a problem myself, but the way this device looks, arguably any movement may obscure something. In the leaked picture there is a B button visible next to the right stick, which clearly covers a small part of the screen. Minor in my view (as developers won't put anything essential there), but all I was saying is that the players thumbs are likely to cover more than the mockup I quoted.

sinxtanx

remember that time you rested your thumb on a button?

2c: if that frame was actually being rendered on that screen, it would show the full height of the frame and have wider fov. rendering engines won't just randomly cut screen height

So the game takes place 20 feet above tbe ground? Are you playing as a Mech squeezing through tight spaces?

I'm saying if it's real it's running the same flythrough that can be seen in multiple youtube vids like this one http://youtu.be/jzGRbGb-fog

2c: if that frame was actually being rendered on that screen, it would show the full height of the frame and have wider fov. rendering engines won't just randomly cut screen height

Handheld version having to deal with 50% more objects etc inside the view area compared to the console version = bad idea, unfortunately.

Ziocyte

I'm surprised more people are commenting on this. What is the deal with this analog? It looks like a bottle cap. It is not a "ball roll" style analog. There are no gaps in the framing for it to move anywhere. Maybe it's a shifting analog like the 3DS or PSP, but then why would it be seated on a rounded platform? This alone makes me feel like the thing is totally fake.

QiAYB1B.png

Kurt

I'm surprised more people are commenting on this. What is the deal with this analog? It looks like a bottle cap. It is not a "ball roll" style analog. There are no gaps in the framing for it to move anywhere. Maybe it's a shifting analog like the 3DS or PSP, but then why would it be seated on a rounded platform? This alone makes me feel like the thing is totally fake.

QiAYB1B.png

Already saw that from the start of this thread. There i no border or gap between the analog stick and screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom