• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dascu

Put rather bluntly, it isn't like Nintendo to leak exact hardware designs through patents like this. It would be a bit careless of them if they did it this time.
You don't understand how patent law works. It's not like they can draw whatever they want in there. They are bound by the practical applications of the product. The oval shape of the screen/controller is a part of the patent and what makes it unique. The lack of buttons and instead the dynamic display of buttons on the screen around the analogy stick is part of its uniqueness.

If the patent drawing looked much different, it wouldn't be legally sound. If the actual product looked much different, it would be removing the strengths and reasons of the patented screen in the first place.

4,000+ posts already, jesus what is this place gonna be like when the thing is actually revealed

Battle_crop_650x440.jpg

Dolph = Lurker

DooMAGE

If someone wants to read Rösti's posts, instead of looking for them on the thread, you can, obviously, just go to his post history. From there, you can use the links to go to the page where he originaly posted them;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=13283465

groundbreaking, i now. I'm just mentioning it because some people asked ealier if Rösti had said anything new.

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

obviously I hope for face physical buttons. and optional grips for in house use as a pad.
I would love something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udkU101fFOk

This looks so much better, so long as we had the option of using just the center for display

But this also made me realize how desperately we need the d-pad. It's much more jarring than the actual controller to me.

This is also what I meant by the buttons. It's a part of the screen, but very much physical buttons. No need for expensive haptic buttons when the buttons placed here are perfect for all games.

The ONLY controller evolution we need is #paddles.

But if it wasn't published until after the unveiling, does that really matter in this context?

The time between filing and publication for the Wii U patent is very close to the time between filing and publication for the more recent controller patent - a period of about six months. Looking across their recent patent history, almost all of the ones I sampled have a latency period of about six months between filing and publication.

The default period is usually 18 months, so I'm guessing Nintendo's policy is to have them published within six months.

It's just that in this case the filing happened sooner, where as the Wii U one happened fewer than six months prior to E3.

Suffice to say that my original point was basically this: if Nintendo's being secretive about what the final NX controller will look like, wouldn't you expect them to give developers the thing that most closely resembles a design that's already public knowledge?

gafneo

Banned
I'd rather not have the sticks protruding through the screen. Touch screen virtual buttons sound awful as well. How do you think something like this could work?

I would like to try something like that. Face buttons can be akward at times. Having them in the back is like pulling triggers. Everything touch related for the front.

The_Lump

Banned
Guys, Rösti has not put some kind of hidden code in his message.

He's just using elaborated sentences so as not to explicitly state anything which might land him or his contact in bother.

And he's doing it very well!

Putting the first letter of each unusual word through an anagram maker gets us a lot of results. The most interesting is "Epic Exec Dice"

It's tough because I may be including words that he didn't mean to be in the message and that throws off the anagram, but I'm pretty confident that the Epic Exec is part of it given this is an Unreal demo

I have developed a nosebleed and my ears cannot stop ringing but I cannot quit until this is cracked

skypunch

Banned
Putting the first letter of each unusual word through an anagram maker gets us a lot of results. The most interesting is "Epic Exec Dice"

It's tough because I may be including words that he didn't mean to be in the message and that throws off the anagram, but I'm pretty confident that the Epic Exec is part of it given this is an Unreal demo

I have developed a nosebleed and my ears cannot stop ringing but I cannot quit until this is cracked

You, sir, are a
penguin

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see the appeal in haptic buttons personally, if that does pan out. But I'll keep an open mind until I could try it myself.

Guys, Rösti has not put some kind of hidden code in his message.

He's just using elaborated sentences so as not to explicitly state anything which might land him or his contact in bother.

And he's doing it very well!
I see code revealing you're an underwear snitcher

wrowa

I hope it's debunked by tomorrow, I don't see the point on having so much screen surface wasted

It'd probably look really cool in action and you could put HUD elements outside of the main screen. Keep in mind that the focus would most likely still be on the traditional rectangular space between the sticks - now you have just have an extended FOV on the sides.

As a gimmick, it might be mostly pointless, but honestly, I would love it. For a handheld at least. I don't really see how it would benefit a console controller.

jblank83

I don't see the appeal in haptic buttons personally, if that does pan out. But I'll keep an open mind until I could try it myself.

If they have the same response time, physical feedback, and ease of use, then I'm ok with it. I mean, can I mash out a ton of taps in a short amount of time, accurately? Then it's not a problem.

Pokemaniac

You don't understand how patent law works. It's not like they can draw whatever they want in there. They are bound by the practical applications of the product. The oval shape of the screen/controller is a part of the patent and what makes it unique. The lack of buttons and instead the dynamic display of buttons on the screen around the analogy stick is part of its uniqueness.

If the patent drawing looked much different, it wouldn't be legally sound. If the actual product looked much different, it would be removing the strengths and reasons of the patented screen in the first place.

I'm not an expert on patent law, but the pictures in question are referred to as "non-limiting examples". That seems to suggest that the final product doesn't have to look exactly like that.

The time between filing and publication for the Wii U patent is very close to the time between filing and publication for the more recent controller patent - a period of about six months. Looking across their recent patent history, almost all of the ones I sampled have a latency period of about six months between filing and publication.

The default period is usually 18 months, so I'm guessing Nintendo's policy is to have them published within six months.

It's just that in this case the filing happened sooner, where as the Wii U one happened fewer than six months prior to E3.

Unless you can provide an example of them leaking their designs in the past, then it doesn't really refute my point. If Nintendo was actually trying to keep the thing secret (as the clearly are, given all this talk of stricter NDAs) then it wouldn't make sense for them to just do what they normally do instead of making sure it's not published until it's revealed.

Leatherface

Alright, I'm going full Hideo on this guy

Here are all the words - in order - that I deem "unusual", in that either the word itself is uncommon or that it appears he purposefully avoided a more obvious word

Elucidation
Embodiment
Representative
Interest
X
Distinguished
Excellencies
Individuals
Expressed
Indignation
Commotion
Express
Calibre
Properties
Clarification
Sufficient
Eligibility

Lots of E's. Using the first letter of each word we can spell things like "Epic", "Periscope", and others. There's also the mysterious "X" which you might first miss or assume is a typo, or is it a way to complete the coded message without resorting to shoehorning in a word that begins with X?

We must go deeper

You guys spare no expense at clue searching do you? lol

The_Lump

Banned
It keeps putting your hands over the f*cking screen.

How that could work? How this could even exist? Are our hands invisible?

How do you hold a controller!? Why would your hands be over the screen?

I'm being forced to post my own image again, but:

5QPezld.jpg

Thumbs barely cover anything.

Get ready to rebuy the classic controller for the nth time.

Heck, if they were to offer one, I'd be ok with that. But it kind of defeats the purpose of making a simple device that's easy to understand. One of the biggest problems with Wii U has been the numerous controller types. That has to confuse the average consumer.

From personally experience with something like the Steam Controller, haptic feedback is great with camera control. Based on how quickly you move your thumb you will get a certain amount of feedback. With button emulation I feel it will be a much more difficult sell. Unless they have some of the more expensive haptic tech it'll be almost no different to a smart device touchscreen but with a rumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom