• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Development Hell: Which game are you waiting for?

stickkidsam

Gold Member
We’ve all been there.

A new game trailer pops up during a game festival or some other bigass showcase event. It looks great! Ya love the concept, it’s got interesting game mechanics or maybe it’s just tapping into a genre that has been all but dead for a while.

It’s coming!

…then 3 years pass by without any word. Then 5. Maybe 7! No word of cancellation though! Maybe small updates saying the game is still in development. Perhaps even another trailer.

So what game are you waiting for? Did it eventually come out? Is it still in the works or was it finally given a mercy kill?

For me, I’m waiting on Project Awakening.

5 years later and this game still hasn’t popped. It’s got a typical fantasy vibe, but something about the gameplay looked awesome to me. Particularly when that dragon/drake/scaly dog slapped the character away. I love physics so that bit left an impression on me almost as deep as the dent on that guy’s back.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

LordOfChaos

When the first clips of this were shown in 2005, it looked jaw droopingly amazing. Looked forward to this for a while through all its pivots, but after being bought out by Intel to showcase their ill fated Project Larrabee graphics, it seemed to fizzle out with the project. Intel still owns the trademark after the original devs spun out to try to buy it back unsuccessfully

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
We’ve all been there.

A new game trailer pops up during a game festival or some other bigass showcase event. It looks great!
Ya love the concept, it’s got interesting game mechanics or maybe it’s just tapping into a genre that has been all but dead for a while...
well, it's not that i've never been there. it's just been a while since the last time (elden ring, maybe? resident evil village?)...

CamHostage

This Development Hell project is a little unlike the others in that it's 2D and complicated in other ways besides the size that often leads to dev hell, but it also is a little different because it's actually emerging from over five years of development hell this year!

UFO 50 is a many-game minigame game made as a collaborative work from the makers of Spelunky and Downwell. It was originally supposed to be out in 2018, but that was a little hopeful in release date predictions given it ran 6 years late. Coming finally Sept 18 to PC (no word yet on console versions, but the original plan was to be on other platforms... six years ago.)

More info:

Last edited:

SHA

Tbh, I actually haven't got a better chance to visit my backlog than this time, every once in a while we usually get distracted with as much worthwhile content as what we already have, which made us distracted in unfair situation where we may actually never find the time to consume these contents authentically which leads to terrible aging for these exact same contents that should've been consumed fairly but we didn't get that chance for the same reason.

Von Hugh

I think it was called The Last Night(?). That retro Blade Runner indie game. Vaporware.

They are still making it. Plenty of issues with other similar games as well, such as REPLACED.

Piss poor communication on the developer's behalf, though. Everyone thinks that the game is not ever coming out. Their limelight was in 2017, fucking seven years ago.

Now the whole cyberpunk 2.5D pixelart aesthetic is forgotten since they are so focused on modeling and animating every single miniscule detail and forgetting the gameplay. They should get their heads out of their asses and actually get the game released.

Limit theory. One man game, but with the same ambition as a single player Star Citizen. The dev worked hard after his Kickstarter success but abandonned the project a few years ago. I still hope for the game to somehow exist one day.

NanaMiku

Oh yeahhhh I remember that. 7 years ago yeah that is canned.

That one was interesting I remember

Too bad its likely canceled now

I wonder if Little Devil Inside is still a thing. I've been following that game since it was first announced on Kickstarter years ago
Looks like it's still alive. There's an update 4 months ago

Top Bottom