• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Development Hell: Which game are you waiting for?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Pxm8Xpycy6fD8y2gqwYLm5.gif

tumblr_nmkrlbRfRc1u4rawro3_540.gif

CamHostage

Deep Down

11 years ☠️

Became Dragon Dogma 2

??
No, it didn't. Deep Down was a very different concept for an RPG from DD. It was multiplayer-only, free-to-play, in randomized dungeons, with a sci-fi overtale (like Assassin's Creed) to link players for excursions. Fairly different engine (although it's assumed a lot of features of it made it into RE Engine) and a different game design model focused on risk/reward encounters and heavier combat without the RPG whittling. Conceptually, it was a little closer to the segmented worlds and regimented tasks of Monster Hunter than the open world to explore in the Dragon's Dogmas. More like an old-school dungeon crawler than an epic RPG, like a multiplayer Wizardry in 3D sort of.

...And I think it might have sucked? (Or would have been drastically limited compared to what gamers had in their heads when they first saw that trailer, given that everybody assumed it was DD-scale game design instead of something more intimate and random.) The limitations seemed to allow an extraordinary level of visual impact and FX quality (better in some ways than we tend to gen now or got from DD2,) but with the F2P model and randomized maps, it likely would have been a challenge to deliver on expectations with the dungeon crawler concept. (It's possible that Deep Down also had outside and other encounter spaces, Ono and his team are said to have put extra love into this project even when it was starting to hit six feet deep, but we're still not talking a proper RPG world.)

Deep Down was playable at TGS 2013, before it disappeared into game development hell limbo, and you can see how different it played from the Dragon's Dogma play style.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Limit theory. One man game, but with the same ambition as a single player Star Citizen. The dev worked hard after his Kickstarter success but abandonned the project a few years ago. I still hope for the game to somehow exist one day.
He scammed his lenders. Guy wont even give them the source code he promised after he quit. He took the cash and ran.

ahtlas7

??
No, it didn't. Deep Down was a very different concept for an RPG from DD. It was multiplayer-only, free-to-play, in randomized dungeons, with a sci-fi overtale (like Assassin's Creed) to link players for excursions. Fairly different engine (although it's assumed a lot of features of it made it into RE Engine) and a different game design model focused on risk/reward encounters and heavier combat without the RPG whittling. Conceptually, it was a little closer to the segmented worlds and regimented tasks of Monster Hunter than the open world to explore in the Dragon's Dogmas. More like an old-school dungeon crawler than an epic RPG, like a multiplayer Wizardry in 3D sort of.

...And I think it might have sucked? (Or would have been drastically limited compared to what gamers had in their heads when they first saw that trailer, given that everybody assumed it was DD-scale game design instead of something more intimate and random.) The limitations seemed to allow an extraordinary level of visual impact and FX quality (better in some ways than we tend to gen now or got from DD2,) but with the F2P model and randomized maps, it likely would have been a challenge to deliver on expectations with the dungeon crawler concept. (It's possible that Deep Down also had outside and other encounter spaces, Ono and his team are said to have put extra love into this project even when it was starting to hit six feet deep, but we're still not talking a proper RPG world.)

Deep Down was playable at TGS 2013, before it disappeared into game development hell limbo, and you can see how different it played from the Dragon's Dogma play style.

Capcom continues to trademark the Deep Down name as recently as November 2023. Hopefully they are removing the f2p components while fleshing out a proper game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Looks like it's still alive. There's an update 4 months ago

Oh man this video just ended my interest in the game. I thought it was going to be a cinematic platformer, but it sounds like it's just a narrative game, which happens and one that happens to be an 8th grade Ayn Rand at that. Pass.

CGNoire

Then this is all fan made? I was under the belief that the source code was given at some point.
Ok you got me. I guess he did release it finally. Cool news. I was wrong.

I used to check up on the KS comment section from time to time and months after he promised they had people still upset he had'nt.

SF Kosmo

Huh? How so?
Based on past interviews with the director about his goals for the story.

I'll abide that kind of thing if there's good gameplay underneath, but I'm not showing up for it if it's the star attraction. Especially in that genre, like you want to make a Cyberpunk game about how we need to dickride corporations harder?

Last edited:

Gojiira

We’ve all been there.

A new game trailer pops up during a game festival or some other bigass showcase event. It looks great! Ya love the concept, it’s got interesting game mechanics or maybe it’s just tapping into a genre that has been all but dead for a while.

It’s coming!

…then 3 years pass by without any word. Then 5. Maybe 7! No word of cancellation though! Maybe small updates saying the game is still in development. Perhaps even another trailer.

So what game are you waiting for? Did it eventually come out? Is it still in the works or was it finally given a mercy kill?

For me, I’m waiting on Project Awakening.

5 years later and this game still hasn’t popped. It’s got a typical fantasy vibe, but something about the gameplay looked awesome to me. Particularly when that dragon/drake/scaly dog slapped the character away. I love physics so that bit left an impression on me almost as deep as the dent on that guy’s back.

Yep 100% this and Little Devil Inside, I think LDI specifically looks like it will be a really deep game with a ton of replayability, it looks do charming too. Hopefully they will show up again at the PS Showcase.

intbal

ANACHRONOX 2

Anachronox was released exactly 23 years ago (plus two days).
It ended on a cliffhanger.
The creator, Tom Hall, has wanted to make a sequel all these years.
But Square Enix owned the IP (acquired when they purchased Eidos) and refused to sell it back to him, even though they didn't have any interest in using it.
Now it's owned by Embracer.

Naked Lunch

Radiant Silvergun 2
Its been rumored for years to be Treasure's swan song by the studios original creators.

Ace Combat 8
AC7 finally gave the series its resurgence its deserved - after being on its deathbed for years. 8 has been in development for a long time now. Its due.

Aion002

State of Decay 3. At least they showed a trailer recently, but I guess that it will be a next gen launch title.

Also:

This game seems interesting... I hope it's released one day...

SF Kosmo

Radiant Silvergun 2
Its been rumored for years to be Treasure's swan song by the studios original creators.
What? Ikaruga was RS2, and the creator hasn't worked at Treasure in well over a decade at this point. He's developing a spiritual sequel called Ubusuna at M2, there's already some released art and music.

I mean Ubusana is a good pick, as it has been in development for over a decade now and still doesn't have a firm release date. But Treasure will certainly not have anything to do with it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"My multiplayer game looks better than your single player game." The Finals showed the people paying attention that Embark is at the top of the multiplayer hierarchy. Arc Raiders will be their coming out party.

arc-raiders-reveal-gif-bossfight-1639052309573.gif

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Some stuff just becomes vaporware, man. Accept it's death

I guess the only game like this I'm waiting is Metroid Prime 4. It has a date now and everyone knows that it's a BotW situation that will launch for one console but it's more for the next gen - which I'm all aboard

StueyDuck

Honestly... if they deliver on the promises of beyond good and evil 2 and make a super massive space adventure it could be insane.

I have very little hope its more than just generic ubisoft design though

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Perfect Dark and Everwild. I'm usually a fan of most stealth stuff so I'll probably enjoy Perfect Dark. Everwild seems intriguing given who is making it.

Last edited:

The Stig

Paralives

I want somrething like sims but not the sims. I noped out when sims 3 came out with like $1000 of DLC at launch. fuck that shit

Top Bottom