• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Development Hell: Which game are you waiting for?

RAIDEN1

After the 5th game i think anyone could make a decent story out of mgs6 then kojima, he dropped the ball big time on 5 (story wise)
You can say that again, but I think the team that was there with Kojima from 1-4 was different to Part 5, as a result the story suffered?

ultrazilla

vpE7yJE.jpeg

32 YEARS. 32 LOOOONG YEARS I've been waiting on Axelay 2. I'm saying it's in development hell because Konami said
we'd see the game.

CamHostage

Capcom continues to trademark the Deep Down name as recently as November 2023. Hopefully they are removing the f2p components while fleshing out a proper game.

Again, no, you can't (or couldn't) just remove the "F2P components" from Deep Down and make it some kind of proper RPG; the F2P and everything else about it is what the game was and how the engine worked. That'd be like saying they should get rid of the F2P car soccer stuff of Rocket League and just flesfh out the racing gameplay...

Deep Down was a multiplayer dungeon crawler game. It was made to be MP, an almost arcade-like (and maybe gacha?) quest for loot. You would go "deep down" into a procedurally-generated dungeon and look for stuff and fight monsters. That's what the game was made to be, and part of why it looked so good way back on PS4. (Albeit that first trailer was pretty evidently bullshot; the second trailer was still impressive though even now, and the gameplay sampler was rather nice too.) For instance, that awesome fire effect with complex fluid dynamics works a lot better when you can confine the fluid simulation to a corridor or defined space. Also, watch the gameplay closely; it's more like a fighting game than an action game (sort of appropriate for a Capcom game made by Ono,) with high/low strikes and edge-to-edge parries for defense; the combat is centered around advance/retreat mechanics rather than strafing and hack-and-slashing. It doesn't generally do standard circle-strafing and dash-rolling since you're in the halls of a dungeon and there's often nowhere to roll. This was purposeful, tactical combat, based on accuracy of techniques rather than stats of equipment.

It could have been fun! It also could have been repetitive, or a slog. Unfortunately, we'll never know for sure...

Last edited:

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
9XRtwlA.png

I remember back in 2004 - Sega released this trailer for Phantasy Star Universe and the trailer teases it as PSO 2 OR Phantasy Star 5.

Then we got PSU. :messenger_weary:

Never forget. Never forgive.

ahtlas7

Again, no, you can't (or couldn't) just remove the "F2P components" from Deep Down and make it some kind of proper RPG; the F2P and everything else about it is what the game was and how the engine worked. That'd be like saying they should get rid of the F2P car soccer stuff of Rocket League and just flesfh out the racing gameplay...

Deep Down was a multiplayer dungeon crawler game. It was made to be MP, an almost arcade-like (and maybe gacha?) quest for loot. You would go "deep down" into a procedurally-generated dungeon and look for stuff and fight monsters. That's what the game was made to be, and part of why it looked so good way back on PS4. (Albeit that first trailer was pretty evidently bullshot; the second trailer was still impressive though even now, and the gameplay sampler was rather nice too.) For instance, that awesome fire effect with complex fluid dynamics works a lot better when you can confine the fluid simulation to a corridor or defined space. Also, watch the gameplay closely; it's more like a fighting game than an action game (sort of appropriate for a Capcom game made by Ono,) with high/low strikes and edge-to-edge parries for defense; the combat is centered around advance/retreat mechanics rather than strafing and hack-and-slashing. It doesn't generally do standard circle-strafing and dash-rolling since you're in the halls of a dungeon and there's often nowhere to roll. This was purposeful, tactical combat, based on accuracy of techniques rather than stats of equipment.

It could have been fun! It also could have been repetitive, or a slog. Unfortunately, we'll never know for sure...

I get what you’re saying and I’m no expert. My thought was not a simple “tear out f2p parts and call it done”. I mean in this length of time they could strip out everything and rebuild keeping what works while discarding what doesn’t. Evidently the engine it was running on was new and broken/incomplete anyway.

Agreed, it does have a fighting game feel with the camera pulling in close and the angles implemented, in places anyway. Arguably one of it’s appeals.

Thanks for the videos and breakdown. I hope we get to play an iteration of it one day.

Shut0wen

Banned
You can say that again, but I think the team that was there with Kojima from 1-4 was different to Part 5, as a result the story suffered?
Nah story suffered because he just couldnt say no, hes been saying hes done with the franchise for years before mgs5, personally i think he said yeah to mgs5 so that konami would allow him to make the fox engine

Kadve

Gold Member
Dont know if its truly stuck in dev hell but:

Its been 9 years now since the first game.

Top Bottom