• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?

The fact that people think that 60 FPS is required for single player in a Halo campaign above all else gets me mad.

What about scale, AI, large encounters, massive battles with a shit ton going on?

Yea, no thanks. All that at 60 would be the best, but I'd rather be 60 FPS first on the chopping block to achieve those things if it came down to it.

I agree with you, but unfortunately 343 have yet to prove that they are interested in any of those things to begin with.

Akai__

I'm actually curious as to what the real resolution will be. They can investigate early builds all they want, but this brings up just all the trolls who never played a Halo game claming how laughable this resolution is.

I'll reserve judgement, until the game comes out or after we get more direct feed footage.

It's the 7th main line Halo game man, not all franchises can last forever.

Except for the ones that really sell amazingly well? We are at >60 mio Halo copies sold. This franchise isn't going anywhere and they have plans for Halo games until 2030.

Count the low-res alpha pixels.

http://i.cubeupload.com/1BK94A.jpg

Is this from a direct feed video? Because it sure doesn't look like it is.

The fact that people think that 60 FPS is required for single player in a Halo campaign above all else gets me mad.

What about scale, AI, large encounters, massive battles with a shit ton going on?

Yea, no thanks. All that at 60 would be the best, but I'd rather be 60 FPS first on the chopping block to achieve those things if it came down to it.

I agree with this one too. This is why I don't care about the E3 footage. Nothing of your points was represented in that one.

Nipo

The fact that people even think this is ok actually gets me mad.....

60fps or bust. Consistency over everything. It's almost like people don't understand the difference between 60fps and 30fps and how jarring that difference would be in the same game switching between two different modes. As I said way back on page two: thank god no one at 343 is listening to this garbage idea and is instead going for 60fps all around. Listen to the people who will play this game long after its release, not the new flavor of the month gamers.

Shadowfall did 30 campaign and 60 multiplayer and I didn't find it jarring at all. In fact, i actually really enjoy it.

Purest 78

So, again, how does that proverb fit the situation? When you get lied to with bullshit E3 "gameplay" that turns out to be better looking than final release, people complain of downgrade. When 343i shows what the game really looks like without any photoshopping visuals and adjusting performance, people complain that they didn't put their best foot forward. Okay, then.

So what you're saying Is because they showed something close to the final game. No one has a right to be unimpressed with what they saw?

HTupolev

Is this from a direct feed video? Because it sure doesn't look like it is.
That's what low-res alpha layers with a poor resolve can look like on object silhouettes.

For a particularly extreme example, here's a DF capture of Gran Turismo 5's low-res alpha, showing how edges in front of spray layers look extremely jaggy.

8DBBOGk.jpg

I still don't understand Digital Foundry doing frame-rate and resolution tests on videos from tradeshows. Isn't that sort of disingenuous? They didn't it once before with an E3 demo, forgot which game it was though.

It doesn't seem like the best way to evaluate something, in my opinion.

EDIT: What I meant was the video they are using has potential to suffer from compression/streaming artifacts, doesn't it?

VeeP

I still don't understand Digital Foundry doing frame-rate and resolution tests on videos from tradeshows. Isn't that sort of disingenuous? They didn't it once before with an E3 demo, forgot which game it was though.

Does it really matter? Some people are interested in reading this, and if the frame rate/resolution/etc. improve by the time it launches its a good thing.

Because it is interesting to get a snapshot of games in development?

The downside is it leads to people coming into threads like this to bitch about things they don't understand.

TomShoe

Banned

Isn't Uncharted 4 doing the same thing? I'd prefer 60 fps in the MP, but I wouldn't mind cutting down to 30 to maintain the sense of scale the developers are trying to achieve.

I don't think that would be possible in 60 fps, at least not with current hardware.

hawk2025

There's nothing disingenuous about it, it's right on the subtitle:

Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?
Digital Foundry assesses 343 Industries' E3 showing.

Does it really matter? Some people are interested in reading this, and if the frame rate/resolution/etc. improve by the time it launches its a good thing.

Because it is interesting to get a snapshot of games in development?

The downside is it leads to people coming into threads like this to bitch about things they don't understand.

I should probably elaborate. What I meant was the video they are using has potential to suffer from compression/streaming artifacts, doesn't it?

I should probably elaborate. What I meant was the video they are using has potential to suffer from compression/streaming artifacts, doesn't it?

We have direct feed footage as well and the compression is nowhere near severe enough to not be able to see the things they are talking about. I noticed the low res effects as soon as I watched the original footage.

We have direct feed footage as well and the compression is nowhere near severe enough to not be able to see the things they are talking about. I noticed the low res effects as soon as I watched the original footage.

Alright, fair enough then. Just seems like doing a framerate/resolution test off of video footage wouldn't provide results as good as if they were doing a test off of the game itself like they usually do.

With all the shit they cutting they better keep this floating at 1080p/60 locked. That was their excuse for cutting split screen, then this shit should be hitting that mark.

This will be the first Halo ever I don't pre-order or buy on launch, got serious doubts about the campaign and well after MCC can't trust 343 for shit.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So what you're saying Is because they showed something close to the final game. No one has a right to be unimpressed with what they saw?
You went from game development results with respect to time on a downward sloping curve to subjective visual perception of a demo's graphics. Gotta love the Socratic method.

Vire

I really think they should have stuck to 30 FPS in SP and pushed physics/scale instead.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be optimized just fine by the time it releases - I just worry about what they are comprising to achieve it.

Fredrik

They should go with 1080p 30fps for the campaign and 60fps variable res for MP. Everybody wins.
30fps in SP and low res in MP, and everybody wins? How?
No, the backlash would kill them. They claimed that it would be 60fps years ago at the first announcement. It really is 60 or bust this time, they can't drop this, they would look like fools. And MCC is 60 too which makes it nearly impossible to go lower with H5 now that both old and new fans has gotten used to 60. Nope, there is no turning back, same thing with all game series that tries to lower the framerate, it never goes well, the negative opinions that pops up everywhere will kill the hype.

Purest 78

You went from game development results with respect to time on a downward sloping curve to subjective visual perception of a demo's graphics. Gotta love the Socratic method.

What are you talking about? E3 is where you Showcase a game. What they showed at E3 was Average. If you disagree that's fine my goal isn't to change your opinion.

BokehKing

Banned
No, the backlash would kill them. They claimed that it would be 60fps years ago at the first announcement. It really is 60 or bust this time, they can't drop this, they would look like fools. And MCC is 60 too which makes it nearly impossible to go lower with H5 now that both old and new fans has gotten used to 60. Nope, there is no turning back, same thing with all game series that tries to lower the framerate, it never goes well, the negative opinions that pops up everywhere will kill the hype.

If the game play is good, and you're primarily playing halo, your eyes will adjust and all will be good. I rather a locked 60 or bust though

EvB

Hey! Let's pick a the lowest resolution that the game drops to for 1/60th of a second and then talk like it is like that the entire time!

Bonus points for comparing it to Killzone.

So the SP should look like shit for the people that love the single player/
R.I.P co-op
experience, no way. If the MP competitive players really fiend for that 60 they should compromise out of that(the MP), not the SP.

EvB

So the SP should look like shit for the people that love the single player/
R.I.P co-op
experience, no way. If the MP competitive players really fiend for that 60 they should compromise out of that(the MP), not the SP.

Playing the same game in 30 AND 60FPS is going to be pretty jarring as you switch from one to another. The way you talk make it sounds like every game on every system prior to the Ps4 "looks like shit".

IJoel

I trust it'll end up being a solid 60 fps. The biggest issue was what they chose for their e3 showcase. Of all the set pieces I imagine they'll have, they chose a very dull one to showcase, seemingly just to give more exposure to Locke.

I hope their next showing is better. Truth be told I expected more, graphically, out of this title.

Bgamer90

Banned
1152 x 810.

ahahaha. it's like they're trying so hard not to go down as low as 1280x720.

finally we're seeing what the xbone is truly capable of.

is it going to be like witcher dynamic resolution where it is 900p most of the time and goes up to 1080p instead of the other way around?

You seem happy. But I wonder why.

i am as happy as you are hurt.

So will you be "hurt" if Halo 5 turns out better than you think it will be?

What a disgusting thread. Some here seem to enjoy jumping to conclusions and being in battle mode than playing games (since why else would any gamer make such silly statements)?

We've seen games improve their look/resolution on both systems (PS4 and Xbox One) months later. This thread is reminding me of the DF Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Xbox E3 trailer thread. Very similar jumping to conclusions/trolling for similar reasons if I remember correctly (problems maintaining 60 FPS).

The immature reactions to this are stupid and will be even more stupid if the game turns on to be much better at launch.

emrober5

They really should have gone with 30fps, but it's too late now. The consoles just aren't powerful enough to do these heavy hitters at 1080/60 without sacrifices, and sub 1080 looks like a mess on my tv. 60fps for the multiplayer would have been fine, but the campaign is really going to suffer

Playing the same game in 30 AND 60FPS is going to be pretty jarring as you switch from one to another. The way you talk make it sounds like every game on every system prior to the Ps4 "looks like shit".

Halo 4 campaign was great at 30, they can't sell me the "but we need 60" bullshit. Just another one of the things they can use for marketing. Ever since Sony started using 60FPS in their marketing, MS has been chasing them to do the same.

Now we get me "We build this from the ground up" "For the Cloud" "For butter smooth 60fps" doesn't matter we had to rip parts of it out.

Since 343 was saying "oh no one uses split screen anymore"I would like to see the statistics of how many people that play Halo MP have actually completed Halo SP.

Shin-Ra

The fact that he can't see what's going on even when circled, speaks volumes. That image in its entirety is blurred and not necessarily a good representation of alpha effects.
Pretty sure that's the aiming reticle, lol.

And if you can't see the low-res edges I don't know what to say.

Aceofspades

Banned
Hey! Let's pick a the lowest resolution that the game drops to for 1/60th of a second and then talk like it is like that the entire time!

Bonus points for comparing it to Killzone.

Lets just hope that it doesnt only display 1080p on title screen only aka The Witcher 3

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Based on what 343 says to expect and my countless hours with a year in advance beta, I have no doubts this will be a fucking amazing game. I give no shits for tech dick waving contests, I'll be playing. Sad there seem to be plenty that would rather play the console war.

Dude why are you so negative all the time? Do you even enjoy games or just bitching about them online? Seriously man...

What has that to do with the comment i made? Why do you even care?
And negative all the time? Yeah thats why im in love with Star Wars Battlefront. Right because im negative all the time.

When i havent seen much positive things from Halo 5, thats not my fault when 343 fails to impress. And im allowed just like you to discuss this.

Ishan

Based on what 343 says to expect and my countless hours with a year in advance beta, I have no doubts this will be a fucking amazing game. I give no shits for tech dick waving contests, I'll be playing. Sad there seem to be plenty that would rather play the console war.

It's a tech tread .

R_Deckard

But there is, this is so deep in development and Required to show it was not the game at its best, let's take AWF from,last year. On XboxOne the leads platform it pretty much maintained a solid 60 throughout campaign and MP even though at E3 it could it could barely manage 30.

I work in software I know NOTHING comes together till the last few weeks/months. DF need to take more care with analysing PR material for performance metrics, it seems to be All they are!?!

SaganIsGOAT

What has that to do with the comment i made? Why do you even care?
And negative all the time? Yeah thats why im in love with Star Wars Battlefront. Right because im negative all the time.

When i havent seen much positive things from Halo 5, thats not my fault when 343 fails to impress. And im allowed just like you to discuss this.

Does a point come where you realize every day you go on gaf to complain about halo? Doesn't that shit get old?

SaganIsGOAT

So criticism is complainig? cool...

Ugh i just put you on ignore.

Holy shit right in my internet feels. I'll miss you jumper. Sorry you can't take a few posts addressing your constant complaining in EVERY halo thread. It's rich that you dish it out at 343 repeatedly, but once it hits you back you bury your head in the ground. Have fun hiding behind your ignore feature.

Top Bottom