• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?

Right, because with the game going gold in a few months things will dramatically change
Optimiazations like this are exactly what are being worked on in the final months of development. Come on haha. People gotta stop being such drama queens and realize this is prerelease software. Nothing wrong with a thread discussing it but the amount of shit posts acting like this is the final frame rate/resolution and that nothing will ever change are just ridiculous and silly.

ps3ud0

I was taught at a early age to put your best foot forward. What they showed at E3 was not impressive from a graphics or technical standpoint. They choose to show it in that state criticism is absolutely fair. If they get it much better by launch Praise would be equally as fair.
I dont know, I just dont think theres value in an outfit like DF which already has a piss poor reputation to rush for clicks rather than to consider what public service such analysis has.

Yes I think its fine to discuss it as prospective customers and the like - its why these forums exist; and yes, perhaps 343 hasnt shown anything groundbreaking but lets be honest theyve got a tough task to achieve.

ps3ud0 8)

It's just funny bringing up Uncharted 4 out of all games. A game that targeted 60fps initially, which has now been reduced to 30. And that's fine, but there wasn't much of an outcry when that was announced either. On the other hand, we have a Digital Foundry article nitpicking an alpha build of Halo 5 with people all up in arms because it has 'dynamic resolution' or whatever.

So coming into this thread and claiming ND are tech gods is disingenuous. Compromises are made in every game.

Except Uncharted 4 looking like the PSX demo @60 would have been rather impressive, whereas Halo 5 looking like it does now @60 is just meeting basic expectations.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I was taught at a early age to put your best foot forward. What they showed at E3 was not impressive from a graphics or technical standpoint. They choose to show it in that state criticism is absolutely fair. If they get it much better by launch Praise would be equally as fair.
How does that proverb relate to game development at all?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah, no, this is total BS. Please remind me the last time a game got a significant upgrade in Res/FPS/graphics just a few months before release. At this point the assets are essentially finalized and the team is busy taking care of bugs, optimization is a BS term and usually means cutting something to up the performance.
Have you played the Star Wars Battlefront Alpha on PC these past few days? I personally have not, but a friend who has it said it has terrible pop-in and it gets even worse when flying. Neither games are released, but I assume SWB will be at least as polished as BF4 was on launch day, so yes, a lot of progress can be made in the crunch period.

Except Uncharted 4 looking like the PSX demo @60 would have been rather impressive, whereas Halo 5 looking like it does now @60 is just meeting basic expectations.
Jesus.

One day I should complete my thesis on the average post and console ownership history in negative Gaf threads. This should be cross referenced with a graph showing the (apparent) relative importance of feature, tech or personnel being discussed and divided by the difference in conversation momentum versus "positive" threads

Exciting stuff! Don't forget to do it in the PS4 and WiiU threads as well!

Courage

Does it matter? Everyone knows the PS4 is more capable than the XBO at this point. It's all relative to their respective hardware and genres. ND had to compromise and UC4 still looks pretty damn good. I'll feel similarly with Halo 5, as long as they keep it at 60 and bring back the sandbox designs.

wachie

When ND showed UC4 at PSX, a year-ish before launch, it was running at 30, when it was supposed to be a 60FPS game (at the time).

When Halo 5 showed its beta a year before launch, it was AT LEAST running 60 at the time.

Looked fine too.

Frank and Josh has stated multiple times on several different forums, optimization is the last thing they do and resolution is never final till way later.

But GAF will be GAF and this thread will continue on for another 20+ pages thinking the res/FR is final.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with concerns and discussing this stuff. It's the rampant, blatant drive-by shit posting that never seems to stop in Halo threads.
Good one, haha.

some people always criticize analysis of non-final builds, but really, how many games that were analyzed 3~6m pre-launch have significantly improved by launch?

if they want to hit that sweet 60fps they should try cutting some SFX, not resolution.

I don't know the numbers. What I do know is that personally, when games are a few months from release and the developers have to hit a hard deadline, I find statements like "they will do optimization last" neither comforting nor reassuring.

Yeah, no, this is total BS. Please remind me the last time a game got a significant upgrade in Res/FPS/graphics just a few months before release. At this point the assets are essentially finalized and the team is busy taking care of bugs, optimization is a BS term and usually means cutting something to up the performance.

Destiny XB1 went from 900p to 1080p between the public beta and the game launch.

EagleEyes

This is a top class console warrior thread at the moment. Internet forums, gotta love how it brings the best out in people lol.

I saw something awhile back "split screen in" and later "split screen out". My drive to play this already went down. It'll be interesting to see what it looks/runs like. I wish them the best, but my hopes aren't the highest

etta

my hard graphic balls
Also, weren't some of those Vidocs taken January-April 2015? Why is wveryone saying those builds are 3 months prior to release?

Kinsella

Banned

Sleeping Dogs

PensOwl

Banned
So early development should produce better results than final code?

No, developers should spend man hours over shooting current development for the sake of a ten minute demo that later gets criticized for looking slightly better than the final game.

hawk2025

It's just that the framerate isn't locked down either...yet.

I see that, but I'm taking the current results as a "guideline" of where they want to be -- obviously it doesn't seem like the dynamic resolution is quite doing its job yet, but it appears to be their goal.

Purest 78

So early development should produce better results than final code?

NO but they choose to show that so criticism of what was shown is fair. As I said in my earlier post The game could launch much better. People's reaction Will be According to how the game releases.

El_Chino

I'm a 60fps or bust kinda guy but in the end, I don't think it was worth it, not when it comes with so many drawbacks. I hope the game is at least a solid 60 when it releases.

9 months before release

not three months
It was 3 months or so and the point was to prove that a lot could be optimized in the last few months of optimization.

etta

my hard graphic balls
NO but they choose to show that so criticism of what was shown is fair. As I said in my earlier post The game could launch much better. People's reaction Will be According to how the game releases.
So, again, how does that proverb fit the situation? When you get lied to with bullshit E3 "gameplay" that turns out to be better looking than final release, people complain of downgrade. When 343i shows what the game really looks like without any photoshopping visuals and adjusting performance, people complain that they didn't put their best foot forward. Okay, then.

They should go with 1080p 30fps for the campaign and 60fps variable res for MP. Everybody wins.
The fact that people even think this is ok actually gets me mad.....

60fps or bust. Consistency over everything. It's almost like people don't understand the difference between 60fps and 30fps and how jarring that difference would be in the same game switching between two different modes. As I said way back on page two: thank god no one at 343 is listening to this garbage idea and is instead going for 60fps all around. Listen to the people who will play this game long after its release, not the new flavor of the month gamers.

Canucked

I think they can deliver only because 343 and Microsoft can't afford another Halo debacle. Would they really put this out there if they weren't confident?

Bsigg12

That's cool and all but that's not how development works unless you want to be Ubisoft facing game after game of downgrade speculation

60fps or bust. Consistency over everything. It's almost like people don't understand the difference between 60fps and 30fps and how jarring that difference would be in the same game switching between two different modes. As I said way back on page two: thank god no one at 343 is listening to this garbage idea and is instead going for 60fps all around. Listen to the people who will play this game long after its release, not the new flavor of the month gamers.

You must get mad a lot. I recommend playing on a high end gaming PC only if you have this disorder. Plenty of console games do 30 fps and the vast majority of people that buy them give zero fucks about framerate.

You must get mad a lot. I recommend playing on a high end gaming PC only if you have this disorder. Plenty of console games do 30 fps and the vast majority of people that buy them give zero fucks about framerate.
While I prefer 60fps over 30fps every time I don't mind 30fps at all. I play plenty of 30fps games and never complain. What I hate is a lack of consistency. If a game switches between 30 and 60fps depending on the mode I'm in that's a jarring switch and I will complain about that. As I said in my post: consistency over everything.

What I don't get is why even promise 60fps when the franchise has always been extremely successful at 30fps? Sounds like a developer not too confident in their ability to keep Halo fans happy so they promise 60fps knowing it's something Halo fans have always wanted. Sort of a gesture of good will I guess but they should first be certain they can deliver on that promise

The fact that people think that 60 FPS is required for single player in a Halo campaign above all else gets me mad.

What about scale, AI, large encounters, massive battles with a shit ton going on?

Yea, no thanks. All that at 60 would be the best, but I'd rather be 60 FPS first on the chopping block to achieve those things if it came down to it.

Purest 78

That's cool and all but that's not how development works unless you want to be Ubisoft facing game after game of downgrade speculation

It's a 1st party game With the budget/time focused on one console. What I saw a couple months from launch didn't impress me. If it impressed you that's fine, I'm not here to change your opinion.

Vico

We'll be at comic con, rtx and gamescom with different focus and scale at each. Comic con should be fun this year and I got my beach body back just in time. 25 pounds in two weeks!

Nice, can't wait for all the goodness.

I'm expecting a forge reveal of sorts at rtx. Isn't that where reach and 4 were first shown?

Reach's forge was at Comic Con. 4's was at RTX, though, you're right.
And now that we know they'll be at RTX, I'm fully expecting Forge to be there, unless it really is a massive improvement over the past games, which would justify a Gamescom presence since it's a much bigger show.

While I prefer 60fps over 30fps every time I don't mind 30fps at all. I play plenty of 30fps games and never complain. What I hate is a lack of consistency. If a game switches between 30 and 60fps depending on the mode I'm in that's a jarring switch and I will complain about that. As I said in my post: consistency over everything.

That's what I said. They lock it at 30 fps for the Single Player campaign in the interests of consistency and let the resolution float to lock it at 60 fps in MP. I believe several games this gen have done exactly the same thing. A locked 30 fps seems to be pretty common this gen. It allows you to push the graphics and IQ in the campaign while keeping the consistency and drop the response time in MP. I'd take a locked 30 fps over a floating 30-60 fps any day of the week.

Top Bottom