• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Orbis vs Durango Spec Analysis

Reiko

Banned
Well it's a good thing you're protecting their identity. Wouldn't want to go on the record for such outlandish claims. :)

Whether the power gap between PS4 & Durango is small or huge... The console will have to be "very powerful" compared to last gen consoles to run the new next generation engines with desired results.

In a way, there is nothing wrong with that comment.

kpjolee

I remember reading how Blackbelt and Katana would be bringing a perfect port of Virtua Fighter 3 to console.

I think Blackbelt was a add on to Sega Saturn.

Black Belt - 3Dfx version of Dreamcast
Katana - PowerVR version of Dreamcast

Apparently developed at the same time and Sega went with Katana for Dreamcast.

Reiko

Banned
Black Belt - 3Dfx version of Dreamcast
Katana - PowerVR version of Dreamcast

Apparently developed at the same time and Sega went with Katana for Dreamcast.

They made a good choice.

Too bad VF3 still ended up with a subpar port on more powerful hardware.

"This person said this, I can't say who, to actually verify their reliability. Just trust me."

is about as bad as:

"I know something, but shouldn't say."

I thought Thuway should have been some sort of lesson against such.

"Durango will be really powerful" is a quote my mother could come up with. Of course it will. It doesn't even matter if your source is legit or not, it's a no brainer. It's like me saying "I got a dude in sony and he told me that the ps4 will, in fact, come in a box. It won't be invisible."

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Whether the power gap between PS4 & Durango is small or huge... The console will have to be "very powerful" compared to last gen consoles to run the new next generation engines with desired results.

In a way, there is nothing wrong with that comment.
I was kind of being sarcastic, hah. :p

golem

GPU is different, majorly
RAM is different. majorly

GPU may be different because they had not decided on a vendor yet.

RAM is different because DDR4 has been delayed.

Even the CPU had not been nailed down at the time of that diagram, as they point to the possibility of ARM or X86. The diagram was a general overview, not concrete details.

KidBeta

GPU may be different because they had not decided on a vendor yet.

RAM is different because DDR4 has been delayed.

Even the CPU had not been nailed down at the time of that diagram, as they point to the possibility of ARM or X86. The diagram was a general overview, not concrete details.

AMD is the vendor they have decided on.

Jaguar Vanilla
* 1.8GHz LC Clocks (can be under-clocked for specific low-powered battery device needs - tablets, etc...).
* 2MB shared L2 cache per CUs
* 1-4 CUs can be outfitted per chip. (i.e. 4-16 logical cores)
* 5-25 watts depending on the device/product. (45 watts is achievable under proper conditions)

PS4 Jaguar with chocolate syrup.
* 2GHz is correct as of now.
* 4MB of total L2 cache (2MB L2 x 2 CUs)
* 2 CUs (8 Logical cores).
* idles around 7 watts during non-gaming operations and around 12 watts during Blu-ray movie operations. Gaming is a mixed bag...

A 25% increase in the PS4 CPU? This is the same increase that was reported on "PS4 Daily" yesterday isn't it.

The site is spurious however.

onQ123

What I take from all of the new info vs the posts from insiders who seen the documents, is that Microsoft did a damn good job at selling the Xbox 3 to investors.

JaggedSac

What I take from all of the new info vs the posts from insiders who seen the documents, is that Microsoft did a damn good job at selling the Xbox 3 to investors.

They wouldn't show the XBox 3 to investors. If they did, the investors couldn't act on it since it is not public knowledge. Perhaps you mean MS internal stakeholders?

What is there to prove? MikeR didn't give out any real Xbox 3 info he only said that it would be nice if it had the fully loaded Jaguar which is 16 cores. & he also said that if they went with a IBM design it would be for BC.

Sorry, I'm just getting a bit annoyed at any genuine leaks/concrete info. Blackout till April for me I guess

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wouldn't trust any rumors we've heard about PS4, including the conf announcement. Sony Can obviously usE some aLternative processors in their machine...incLuding some with some special benefits.

now im an insider

Biggzy

I wouldn't trust any rumors we've heard about PS4, including the conf announcement. Sony Can obviously usE some aLternative processors in their machine...incLuding some with some special benefits.

now im an insider

Hmmmm... Something seems off with your post.

onQ123

Bgassassin's info is for real then?

fixed le link...

what make you say that?

Hinting at 16 cores / PowerPC = automatic tool.

in that post he was saying that it wasn't much that they could do to the Jaguar cores because it would defeat the purpose of using the the Jaguar CPU & that if it was any "secret sauce" it wouldn't be from the the Jaguar design & he was saying that if the Xbox 3 had BC it wouldn't be from the Jaguar CPU the hint isn't that the CPU will be a IBM CPU the hint is that it might be hardware BC from a IBM chip.

& the 16 Core thing was wishful thinking he never said that it was going to be the design that they are going with but it's the one that he would have liked.

gaming_noob

what make you say that?

in that post he was saying that it wasn't much that they could do to the Jaguar cores because it would defeat the purpose of using the the Jaguar CPU & that if it was any "secret sauce" it wouldn't be from the the Jaguar design & he was saying that if the Xbox 3 had BC it wouldn't be from the Jaguar CPU the hint isn't that the CPU will be a IBM CPU the hint is that it might be hardware BC from a IBM chip.

& the 16 Core thing was wishful thinking he never said that it was going to be the design that they are going with but it's the one that he would have liked.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much but the way he bolded the letters IBM, I thought maybe he was hinting about a different CPU than what we're expecting...and bgassassin was hinting about "double" performance the other day.

onQ123

Maybe I'm reading into it too much but the way he bolded the letters IBM, I thought maybe he was hinting about a different CPU than what we're expecting...and bgassassin was hinting about "double" performance the other day.

I asked him if that's what he meant & he replied

" Originally Posted by MikeR
Who knows... only MS can answer that. I was just wishful thinking out loud on the Jaguar capabilities of supporting 4 CUs on chip. It's somewhat (is) too late for Sony to make any dramatic changes to its current flavor. I'm more inclined to believe (97.9% sure) MS next system has a greater LC count - be it a AMD or IBM solution. The Kinect 2 is somewhat CPU intensive ...it's not hard to fathom the Win8 derivative reserving 1 core and Kinect reserving 1-2 cores alone."

& as for Bgassassin I think he just read too deep into the same info that was posted on VGleaks.

Performance

Durango CPU cores run at 1.6 GHz; this is half the clock rate of the Xbox 360’s cores. Because of this, it is tempting to assume that the Xbox 360’s cores might outperform Durango’s cores. However, this is emphatically not true, for the reasons described in the following sections.

Sub-ISA Parallelism and Micro-Operations

Like most recent high-performance x64 processors, the cores do not execute the x64 instruction set natively; instead, internally instructions are decoded into micro-operations, which the processor executes. This translation provides opportunities to parallelize beyond traditional superscalar execution.

Durango CPU cores have dual x64 instruction decoders, so they can decode two instructions per cycle. On average, an x86 instruction is converted to 1.7 micro-operations, and many common x64 instructions are converted to 1 micro-operation. In the right conditions, the processor can simultaneously issue six micro-operations: a load, a store, two ALU, and two vector floating point. The core has corresponding pipelines: two identical 64-bit ALU pipelines, two 128-bit vector float pipelines (one with float multiply, one with float add), one load pipeline, and one store pipeline. A core can retire 2 micro-operations a cycle.

Top Bottom