• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: PS4 COD frame judder caused by frame rate HIGHER than 60fps

So let me get this straight...Bunch of sites reported framerate issues which led people to think it was hitting lower than 60fps while X1 was able to handle solid 60fps.

Turns out PS4 is hitting over 60fps that was causing all these issues. Hilarious.

Are game sites just not able to check this shit on their own (limited time with game?) or they just don't give a shit to give a proper analysis?

Vire

I've seen this gif thousands of times but I still don't know who it is, could someone end my suffering please. It cracks me up every time.

.... Do you live under a rock?

Michael Jordan? You know only the greatest basketball player to ever live.

Space Jam ring a bell?

Raymo

So why the hell didnt they vsync lock it at 60?

It seems like it does have vsync. In the OP, they state there was only one screen tear in the entire video. The jutter seems to be a result of frame time, which v-sync doesn't effect.

Cornbread78

No TV on the market accepts an input higher than 60Hz, despite being able to display much more than that. Only monitors accept up to 120 or 144Hz at the moment.

Dammit.... I wasted a lot of extra money going for that 240hz that just cannot be used...anywhere...

TheExodu5

Banned
So let me get this straight...Bunch of sites reported framerate issues which led people to think it was hitting lower than 60fps while X1 was able to handle solid 60fps.

Turns out PS4 is hitting over 60fps that was causing all these issues. Hilarious.

Are game sites just not able to check this shit on their own (limited time with game?) or they just don't give a shit to give a proper analysis?

This is not an easy issue to diagnose. It's not as trivial as you make it sound.

Believe my, I am anal about this kind of shit, and many of us here (dark10x in particular) experience stutter that no one else seems to notice. The Witcher 2 for example...even if it runs at 60fps it has noticeable stutter. I'd say the vast majority of PC games have this issue...it's rare that I'll encounter a game that runs perfectly smoothly (Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood are examples of such games). I've simply never noticed or encountered this issue on a console before.

Some engines are poorly coded and there is something about that them results in stutter even with vsync. I'm not sure what the root cause is, and I've never seen a proper diagnosis of the issue.

It seems like it does have vsync. In the OP, they state there was only one screen tear in the entire video. The jutter seems to be a result of frame time, which v-sync doesn't effect.

Even if there was only a single tear, it implies something out of the ordinary:

1) The game engine is using a custom synchronization method, resulting in occasional tearing
2) There's some sort of GPU level adaptive vsync at work
3) There's a hardware level bug resulting in vsync not working properly

Can't decide which is the greater Shyamalan twist. COD being greater than 60fps causing stutter. Or someone not knowing who Michael Jordan is.

I knew that the digital foundry coverage of these two new consoles was going to be great... but there has been so much more drama than I expected.

Hopefully they can resolve this. It's interesting that the 1080p patch mitigates the issue.. by lowering the performance. I'd heard it improved things, but I would never have guessed why.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
If you don't live in the US, were born after 1990, and have no interest in Basketball, it absolutely not unreasonable to have never heard of Michael Jordan

Finalizer

What a tweest. So are we to simply assume IW is just so incompetent now as to manage to fuck up locked framerates, or is there more to this one?

Why are people shocked?

For those of us who've actually been paying attention to the whole ordeal for the past few weeks, there's plenty of comedy to be found in all this. Maybe you wanna brush up on the last few CoD:G console resolution/performance threads to get yourself up to speed, hmm?

I've seen this gif thousands of times but I still don't know who it is, could someone end my suffering please. It cracks me up every time.

Release the Slam Jam mash-ups!

heyf00L

But with v-sync any missed frames would cause it to drop to 30 fps. But the video shows it dipping to 50. That means no v-sync.

Also, they did notice one screen tear, which is impossible with v-sync.

787939471.gif

Tain

"Adaptive"-style vsync solutions have been possible on consoles since the start of last gen. Many console games drop vsync when going under 60fps. So that could explain the tear line.

Inversive

If you don't live in the US, were born after 1990, and have no interest in Basketball, it absolutely not unreasonable to have never heard of Michael Jordan

Of course i've heard of him it's just i haven't seen his face in god knows how long (probably since Space jam was released). I'm English so Basketball is a non entity here.

Well don't expect Polygon to give one.

TheExodu5

Banned
But with v-sync any missed frames would cause it to drop to 30 fps. But the video shows it dipping to 50. That means no v-sync.

With triple buffering you can display any framerate between 30fps and 60fps.

Fantasmo

It's been mentioned a few times now, and although there might be a fix that's just as easy, V-Sync would cause drops to 30fps and increase input lag. The solution to this problem is absolutely not V-Sync. Multiplayer games and V-Sync are typically oil and water.

Top Bottom