• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Weekly: If Xbox Series X is more powerful, why do some PS5 games run better? We finally have some answers.

Or admitting whoever wrote the script out of Xbox HQ didn't have a clue

Again I go back to watching the Road to PS5 and Ybarra and Jason Ronald literally laughing at the PS5 SSD solution saying Sony spent more time and money customizing that and were going to lose every head to head game matchup because of the power advantage the Series X had (I don't recall their exact wording but it was close to this)

Because Xbox's PR machine knows the average joe is just going to look at the raw TF count (12TF vs 10TF) so they leaned heavily into that.

I remember that PS5 reveal thread and what a dumpster fire it turned into with many an Xbox gaffer saying its going to be worse than Xbox 360 vs PS3 in favour of the Series X.

Who remembers this post from Andrea Pessino?

FAkAhutXoAAvC6b.jpg:large

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Because Xbox's PR machine knows the average joe is just going to look at the raw TF count (12TF vs 10TF) so they leaned heavily into that.

I remember that PS5 reveal thread and what a dumpster fire it turned into with many an Xbox gaffer saying its going to be worse than Xbox 360 vs PS3 in favour of the Series X.

Andrea Pessino Andrea Pessino was spot on and frequents our friendly confines here from time to time.

I remember a certain someone saying he was doing a huge write up about an alien type of game he got to play early and told me a few times in DMs he was friends with Andrea and that he was claiming the PS5 devkits were much much higher TF counts.

Andrea confirmed to me via PMs he had no idea who that guy was

Synless

Took more than a year, bet lost.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They always carefully choose their words to put Xbox in a positive light.

They don’t want to lose access to the perks that Xbox can offer, i.e., trip to Xbox HQ for exclusive access to One X and Series X among others.

That’s why they’re always downplaying PlayStation.
In their defense, they have criticized the xsx ports plenty. They were the first ones to leak that the devs hated the series s. They reported on its memory issues. Then more recently they have made a big deal out of series x ports of first party xbox games performing better on the ps5. tom morgan literally had a meltdown in one of the videos recently. And richard consistently calls it unacceptable in the DF directs.

They are just fanboys. Just like all the other gaffers here over the years. I see no difference between them and everyone we've banned over the years. The one good thing about them is that they do go to the devs and report on whatever they hear from them. And they dont typically try and hide xbox performing poorly.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I dunno, maybe I'm being unfair on DF as I haven't watched the full video or whatever, but....

Based on the quotes I've seen it just cements my opinion that they need somebody on their team with actual coding experience. The way they seem unable to get their heads around the idea that pipelining is everything just confuses the hell out of me. They seem unable to get their heads out of the PC hobbyist mode where you can make judgements about the relative value of GPU's or other components based on raw stats because they exist in a system framework that is consistent. An actual physical embodiment of "all else being equal".

As mentioned repeatedly by Cerny in his Road to PS5 presentation, the additional elements in the PS5's I/O complex (a bespoke element in the APU) exist to facilitate better data transfer to the GPU from system memory. Meaning that, in the simplest terms, extra attention was paid to maximizing and streamlining the ability of the system as a whole to keep the GPU "fed".

End result; higher average resource occupancy for the GPU and better data throughput than if this additional silicon wasn't present.

But no, of course its that Sony has better compilers.... /facepalm.

SlimySnake

No console has sold and dominated like the PS2, yet multi platform games on Xbox and GameCube consistently performed better, hence I’m not really buying the whole “PS5 is the lead console therefore devs are optimising it better than XSX”.
Well, most xbox ports that perform poorly have been fixed after a few patches. In a lot of these games, xsx would maintain a higher resolution but drops frames suddenly and thats a clear sign of poor optimization. Especially since they are resolved after a few patches. On top of that, i saw the same issues in the PC builds with a 2x more powerful GPU and way more powerful CPU. You brought up the PS2 but we had exceptions there too. MGS2 ran like shit on the xbox despite the massive power advantage. Optimization is a thing. Its not the entire story, but it's definitely played a hand.

PS2 was a different story. XBox had had 8x more vram, came with a hdd and it made sense because it came out 18 months later. thats basically an entire pc generation. its architecture was far more modern and in line with PC so porting games like Doom and Half Life 2 was much easier. IIRC, it was running some games at 720p so clearly the gpu was pushing well above its rated gflops.

SlimySnake

I dunno, maybe I'm being unfair on DF as I haven't watched the full video or whatever, but....

Based on the quotes I've seen it just cements my opinion that they need somebody on their team with actual coding experience. The way they seem unable to get their heads around the idea that pipelining is everything just confuses the hell out of me. They seem unable to get their heads out of the PC hobbyist mode where you can make judgements about the relative value of GPU's or other components based on raw stats because they exist in a system framework that is consistent. An actual physical embodiment of "all else being equal".

As mentioned repeatedly by Cerny in his Road to PS5 presentation, the additional elements in the PS5's I/O complex (a bespoke element in the APU) exist to facilitate better data transfer to the GPU from system memory. Meaning that, in the simplest terms, extra attention was paid to maximizing and streamlining the ability of the system as a whole to keep the GPU "fed".

End result; higher average resource occupancy for the GPU and better data throughput than if this additional silicon wasn't present.

But no, of course its that Sony has better compilers.... /facepalm.
Well, the devs have told them this. Their information is coming straight from programming engineers building games for these games. It's entirely possible that the sony compilers the devs are talking about are enhanced by the work cerny put into the IO. The PS5 compression is almost 2x faster than the xsx compression.

The CPU time saved by these decompression units sounds astounding: the equivalent of about 9 Zen 2 CPU cores for the PS5, and about 5 for the Xbox Series X.

who knows if thats what the devs are talking about. regardless, they are simply reporting what they are hearing from devs. you dont need to be a programmer to be a journalist. just like how you dont need to be a movie maker to be a movie critic or a sports athlete to be a sports beat writer.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
it was running some games at 720p so clearly the gpu was pushing well above its rated gflops.
There were no FLOPs utilized in rendering pixels that gen - not on XBox, not on anything else*. So GFlops ratings had nothing to do with resolution either.
With respect to what GPUs 'could' do - only Xbox and PS2 had HD capabilities (and the fillrate to match). And only XBox had enough memory to make it practically useable - PS2 got a few 1280x960 (rendered) games but they had to stick to 480p output to fit into memory.

*Technically PS2 could have used VU units to do deferred shading - but we never got a commercial game out of that.

SimTourist

The spec war is hilarious in retrospect, both the TFlops argument and the SSD argument, neither has really panned out. Performance is almost the same and loading times are sometimes even shorter on Xbox, same with grand promises of loading everything in 1 second and changing game design. Nah, we still have loading screens and squeezing through gaps or opening doors, nothing really different. It was all a load of marketing BS from both sides.

ZehDon

Because Xbox's PR machine knows the average joe is just going to look at the raw TF count (12TF vs 10TF) so they leaned heavily into that...
Worth pointing out that in the leaked emails from the ABK acquisition trial, we saw that Phil Spencer boasted of their hardware advantage. Those emails weren't PR. Internally, Microsoft really did think it had the hardware advantage going into this generation. When DF got an early look at the Series X hardware, they noted that Microsoft impressed upon them the hardware's fixed clocks - which turns out, was in contrast to the PS5's variable clocks. It would seem that Microsoft's engineers knew what was coming, and were convinced their approach would result in a console that punched well above the PS5. Spencer agreed and went to war with the army he had. Ultimately, it seems Microsoft's engineers either underestimated Mark Cerny's design, or, overestimated developers ability/willingness to take advantage of their hardware. It's not clear to me which answer is the right one.

Last edited:

Neo_game

SX GPU claims and PS5 SSD turned out to be fake news. Especially SSD IMO as PS5 SSD is 2x faster but in real world the differences is so insignificant and in some PS4 games load worse on PS5. SX chip is only some 20% bigger and 18% was never going to be much as long as PS5 GPU could maintain it`s clock speed which it does. There was a theory that future games will be CPU heavy so PS5 smart shift will struggle with variable clocks but again specs vs real world scenario are never 1:1 as it depends on various metrcis not just CU counts.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Worth pointing out that in the leaked emails from the ABK acquisition trial, we saw that Phil Spencer boasted of their hardware advantage. Those emails weren't PR. Internally, Microsoft really did think it had the hardware advantage going into this generation. When DF got an early look at the Series X hardware, they noted that Microsoft impressed upon them the hardware's fixed clocks - which turns out, was in contrast to the PS5's variable clocks. It would seem that Microsoft's engineers knew what was coming, and were convinced their approach would result in a console that punched well above the PS5. Spencer agreed and went to war with the army he had. Ultimately, it seems Microsoft's engineers either underestimated Mark Cerny's design, or, overestimated developers ability/willingness to take advantage of their hardware. It's not clear to me which answer is the right one.
Even their own devs seems unable/unwilling to take advantage of their hardware if you compare their games ported to PS.So maybe the former option.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
SX GPU claims and PS5 SSD turned out to be fake news. Especially SSD IMO as PS5 SSD is 2x faster but in real world the differences is so insignificant and in some PS4 games load worse on PS5. SX chip is only some 20% bigger and 18% was never going to be much as long as PS5 GPU could maintain it`s clock speed which it does. There was a theory that future games will be CPU heavy so PS5 smart shift will struggle with variable clocks but again specs vs real world scenario are never 1:1 as it depends on various metrcis not just CU counts.

How is the PS5 SSD or SSD in general fake? when the whole PC scene needed to change at fast rate with having some kind of decompression? The whole PS5 UI and when you start a game all relies on the fast SSD alone.

Last edited:

N30RYU

Gold Member
I would say in terms of multiplatforms games... is just port it and get it to work... in the sony first party titles is a different story since they all share the info and collab to get the best they can get... now the microaosft game studios... and I will tell it again... is all down to the schedule and the need to get the games to feed gamepass neglecting the time to polish a game beyond an 8

SimTourist

I would say in terms of multiplatforms games... is just port it and get it to work... in the sony first party titles is a different story since they all share the info and collab to get the best they can get... now the microaosft game studios... and I will tell it again... is all down to the schedule and the need to get the games to feed gamepass neglecting the time to polish a game beyond an 8
I don't know man, MS gives the studios a lot of time but they just waste it, Halo and Forza got double and triple the usual dev time and still came in unfinished.

tommib

Gold Member
No console has sold and dominated like the PS2, yet multi platform games on Xbox and GameCube consistently performed better, hence I’m not really buying the whole “PS5 is the lead console therefore devs are optimising it better than XSX”.
That’s just cope, my brother. They’ve been using every excuse since the launch of these consoles to come up with imaginary structures to explain that the Xbox is the better console. It’s been delightful to watch and makes me proud of being part of the PlayStation Nation™️ where we get better shadows for Hi-Fi Rush, and overall higher frame rates across the board. What a beast the PS5 is. Such a fucking win for Cerny.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Took more than a year, bet lost.

Haha, but jokes aside, the majority of games are running at a higher native resolution on Series X, but even more signifcantly, the games originated on PS5 as the lead platform, that's a major one when it comes to optimizations. Not only are you building the game from the ground up on PS5 which has a more efficient compiler, but now you have to port that code over to a platform that's dealing with 2 SKUs.

If someone can explain how or why an amazing looking game like Alan Wake 2 (The dev use the PS5 as the lead platform too) runs better on Series X, I would be happy to hear those thoughts.

Neo_game

How is the PS5 SSD or SSD in general fake, when the whole PC scene needed to change at fast rate with having some kind of decompression? The whole PS5 UI and when you start a game all relies on the fast SSD alone.

SSD is great. There is no going back once you experience it. Probably the biggest upgrade in consoles. Having said that, PS5 SSD claim did not materialize. SX pretty much does the same thing with specs being twice as slow.

Mr Moose

Haha, but jokes aside, the majority of games are running at a higher native resolution on Series X, but even more signifcantly, the games originated on PS5 as the lead platform, that's a major one when it comes to optimizations. Not only are you building the game from the ground up on PS5 which has a more efficient compiler, but now you have to port that code over to a platform that's dealing with 2 SKUs.

If someone can explain how or why an amazing looking game like Alan Wake 2 (The dev use the PS5 as the lead platform too) runs better on Series X, I would be happy to hear those thoughts.
No they didn't, PC was lead platform. It was funded by Epic, silly.
PS5 doesn't have mesh shaders, right?

shamoomoo

SSD is great. There is no going back once you experience it. Probably the biggest upgrade in consoles. Having said that, PS5 SSD claim did not materialize. SX pretty much does the same thing with specs being twice as slow.
The only aspect of the SSD that didn't materialize yet,is for gameplay purposes. Most exclusive PS5 games have very short load times.

JackMcGunns

No they didn't, PC was lead platform. It was funded by Epic, silly.
PS5 doesn't have mesh shaders, right?

Correct, Alan Wake 2 was funded by Epic Games and was first unveiled at the PlayStation Showcase event. Why was the PS5 used to unveil it? You're not going to showcase your game on a console that's farther behind in development, but the point is, I wanted to remove any doubt, such as the assumption that Epic is giving preference to Microsoft's console, when it's more likely that PS5 would get the better treatment.

At the end of the day, you did answer the question. When a game is developed with PS5 as the lead platform, developers establish a baseline that the other platforms follow and don't necessarily need to exceed. Even if Series X has slightly more horsepower and more advanced features, for example: Hardware-enabled VRS; because the PS5 doesn't support it (PS5 Pro will) it will not be used. Just an example, not saying Alan Wake 2 uses hardware VRS, just pointing out how using the PS5 as your base is a negative for XSX. However if you're pushing a high end PC with your engine, then other platforms will have to do their best to keep up, the closest being XSX, followed by PS5 and far behind XSS as it should be.

Imo, Alan Wake 2 serves as a good example that when you push hardware beyond its current limit, you tend to find the weaker links down the line, as opposed to a well optimized game designed to run great on the PS5, a game that's already hitting 60fps and not really pushing the PS5 beyond its comfort zone. The difference then might come down to PS5 hitting the mark it's supposed to and Series X missing the mark due to bad optimizations due to lesser tools. Take Immortals of Aveum, that game is in no platform's comfort zone, not even the most expensive PC. Performance is shit because they went bat-shit crazy with a hight bar, but it does serve its purpose and shows that the game runs best on high end PC, followed by XSX, PS5, then series S far below just as the performance difference is expected to be.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Correct, Alan Wake 2 was funded by Epic Games and was first unveiled at the PlayStation Showcase event. Why was the PS5 used to unveil it? You're not going to showcase your game on a console that's farther behind in development, but the point is, I wanted to remove any doubt, such as the assumption that Epic is giving preference to Microsoft's console, when it's more likely that PS5 would get the better treatment.

At the end of the day, you did answer the question. When a game is developed with PS5 as the lead platform, developers establish a baseline that the other platforms follow and don't necessarily need to exceed. Even if Series X has slightly more horsepower and more advanced features, for example: Hardware-enabled VRS; because the PS5 doesn't support it (PS5 Pro will) it will not be supported. Just an example, not saying Alan Wake 2 uses hardware VRS, just pointing out how using the PS5 as your base is a negative for XSX. However if you're pushing a high end PC with your engine, then other platforms will have to do their best to keep up, the closest being XSX, followed by PS5 and far behind XSS as it should be.

Imo, Alan Wake 2 serves as a good example that when you push hardware beyond its current limit, you tend to find the weaker links down the line, as opposed to a well optimized game designed to run great on the PS5, then maybe not getting the best optimized code on Series X for the same game that's not really pushing any limits beyond the capabilities of the PS5, another would be Immortals of Aveum which can bring even a high end PC to its knees, that game also runs best on high end PC, followed by XSX, PS5, then series S far below just as the performance difference is expected to be.
The Game Awards was not a Sony event.

SlimySnake

i wonder if the reason why we havent seen any new PS exclusives is because they are going back to the drawing board and designing their games around the ssd. That means new level design, new ways to store and retrieve level data, and god knows what other gameplay improvements are required to deliver on cerny's vision.

So far, i think ratchet and spiderman 2 have done a somewhat decent job delivering on the ssd promise. i love flying around really fast in spiderman 2 and the portal setpieces in ratchet were kinda cool too. Though neither game is coming even close to maxing out the 5.5 GBps ssd. So i agree, it's not been the paradigm shift cerny had promised us at the road to show conference. You have to wonder if the money spent on the 5.5 GBps ssd wouldve been better spent on a better CPU or GPU or even faster vram. So many PS5 games are dropping to 720p in their 60 fps modes its kinda embarrassing for cerny. I was team 14 tflops back in the day because i knew anything below that would not be enough if devs try and target 60 fps modes with next gen visuals. A 40% more powerful GPU wouldve definitely given us better IQ in performance modes.

P,S The fact that he's gone all in on AI upscaling with the Pro kinda shows that he misread the demand for fast ssds. Had they added an AI upscaler to the PS5 instead of an insanely fast ssd no dev wants to utilize, we might actually have some decent looking 60 fps modes even if the internal resolution had to drop to 720p.

Andrea Pessino Andrea Pessino was spot on and frequents our friendly confines here from time to time.

I remember a certain someone saying he was doing a huge write up about an alien type of game he got to play early and told me a few times in DMs he was friends with Andrea and that he was claiming the PS5 devkits were much much higher TF counts.

Andrea confirmed to me via PMs he had no idea who that guy was
Yeah ouch. That was Anubis something something.

PauloRoberto

Neo Member
i wonder if the reason why we havent seen any new PS exclusives is because they are going back to the drawing board and designing their games around the ssd. That means new level design, new ways to store and retrieve level data, and god knows what other gameplay improvements are required to deliver on cerny's vision.

So far, i think ratchet and spiderman 2 have done a somewhat decent job delivering on the ssd promise. i love flying around really fast in spiderman 2 and the portal setpieces in ratchet were kinda cool too. Though neither game is coming even close to maxing out the 5.5 GBps ssd. So i agree, it's not been the paradigm shift cerny had promised us at the road to show conference. You have to wonder if the money spent on the 5.5 GBps ssd wouldve been better spent on a better CPU or GPU or even faster vram. So many PS5 games are dropping to 720p in their 60 fps modes its kinda embarrassing for cerny. I was team 14 tflops back in the day because i knew anything below that would not be enough if devs try and target 60 fps modes with next gen visuals. A 40% more powerful GPU wouldve definitely given us better IQ in performance modes.

P,S The fact that he's gone all in on AI upscaling with the Pro kinda shows that he misread the demand for fast ssds. Had they added an AI upscaler to the PS5 instead of an insanely fast ssd no dev wants to utilize, we might actually have some decent looking 60 fps modes even if the internal resolution had to drop to 720p.

I will disagree with this take, because, as even Cerny said during the presentation, what every developer wanted was a SSD, and it is a brutal difference is gameplay. Demon Souls is a GREAT example. Because of the lack of checkpoints, you simply does not lose your rhythm during the 'live-die-repeat' gameplay.

FlyyGOD

i'm not on xbox vs playstation side or take sides, but its sad seeing so many people with such pent up aggression towards xbox writing novels, circle jerking and rallying around all in their element, fully grown men exacting their revenge on other who chose the other sides children's toy.
And it's allowed with impunity.

Three

Oh was THAT the reason I got warned? Because some people can't stand to hear that I believe midrange GPUs of the time will completely smoke the PS6 when it releases due to self imposed power limits of consoles? Is it really hard to hear that and simply disagree without claiming I'm being antagonizing? Cmon for crying out loud.
I'm not the mod that gave the warning so I don't know the exact reason I just see through the bullshit of you saying something about PS6 (which you know literally nothing about) being trounced by midrange PCs years prior and concentrating on teraflops now, while previously making claims like this about a 6tf machine that was already beat before it even came out:

Uh.. the scorpio will demolish the PCs of today if those spec hold true.
You're also aware that PS4 is 1.8TFlops correct? Being at least 3x more powerful, and assuming they have a much better suited CPU.. a 6TFlop console will easily put it with the highest end PCs of today.
I think that it will be a much better balanced machine that is designed for throughput. I think the architecture they're using will be based on AMDs Vega architecture. In thinking about a console with a fixed hardware spec, they'll be able to push the envelope with 6tflops and will do things that only todays highest end PCs can do.

This was when a 9tf GPU (let's not even mention CPU or memory) was already out years prior to that midgen console. You seemed so upbeat for the very short lived One X which released with a midrange/low 1060 equivalent then with the PS5 pro you're now also complaining about midgen consoles even existing and how they should concentrate on 1 machine for 7 years. Didn't even say you're antagonizing but that's being more antagonizing with the strange double standard, not the fact that you mentioned high end PCs being greater than an unknown spec future machine in your head.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, the devs have told them this. Their information is coming straight from programming engineers building games for these games. It's entirely possible that the sony compilers the devs are talking about are enhanced by the work cerny put into the IO. The PS5 compression is almost 2x faster than the xsx compression.

I'm not dismissing the idea that Sony's compilers might produce more optimal code, my issue is the way DF are discounting a known feature of the APU that exists for the express purpose of improving data throughput.
Cerny talked in detail about how he wanted this functionality to operate as transparently as possible, so as users -in this case engine coders- simply wouldn't have to worry about every step of the process. Stuff like automated data swizzling where the bit-pattern of incoming data is transformed into the most effective form for the GPU to process (which I believe Tim Sweeney mentioned) is a really nice bit of functional optimization for instance.

Reducing it down to "better compilation" really sells innovations like adding bespoke on-chip hardware to mediate data i/o short in my opinion.

JackMcGunns

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
And you still don't know what his job is?

What I find crazy is that these fuckers would still jump on the next MS announcement with a straight face claiming its the best thing since sliced bread. Not a chance they arent on a payroll.... no one can be that stupid.
the xbox next gen will be the worst console flop since the Wii U
record these words

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
Only the Xbox, GameCube, it was difficult to find a multi platform that would look better in that console.
That was the Series X before its time.

On Beyond I was banned for suggesting that the power of the Xbox Series X was just marketing but history absorbed me, no one deserves fanboy moderators.

Topher

Gold Member
i'm not on xbox vs playstation side or take sides, but its sad seeing so many people with such pent up aggression towards xbox writing novels, circle jerking and rallying around all in their element, fully grown men exacting their revenge on other who chose the other sides children's toy.

And it's allowed with impunity.

And so are the posts with the people they are arguing with on the other side of that. I don't how people pretend these conversations only work one way and there is never anyone doing the same in return.

Hell....look at this thread. There is plenty of back and forth but somehow you guys only see one side of it?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
In the emails, Sarah Bond reiterated Microsoft's plans to build new Xbox hardware focused on delivering "the biggest technical leap ever in a generation."

They already made a mistake with this comment.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

We're looking back at what was claimed back then in 2020 and what all these Xbox fanboys were screaming in their echo chamber about "12tittyflops" and how the media was manipulated and brainwashed by Xbox pr.

The only aspect of the SSD that didn't materialize yet,is for gameplay purposes. Most exclusive PS5 games have very short load times.
Well, not really. The purpose of SDD, besides reducing traditionnal loading times, is to significanctly increase asset density in each scenes without buffer areas / loading screens (where loading is usually done). Which is already there in a few PS5 exclusives like Demon's Souls, Horizon DLC on PS5 in an extent, and the Insomniac games. All those games show impressive asset density in most scenes and without empty rooms tricks (except a very short TP scene in Ratchet) where the loading is done.

We know high quality assets are constantly streamed in in the Insomniac games, that even the most powerful PC can't brute force completely (as many textures still aren't fully loaded in their highest quality, contrary to what DF are claiming, and this is easily seen in cutscenes). Similar thing is happening in Demon's Souls, they first load the beginning of the level in about 1 sec then the rest is seamlessly loaded during gameplay, without the need of buffer zones.

Based from what we saw of AstroBot, they are going to extensively use PS5 I/O in the same way. The game is going to be completely seamless, without even short loading times based on the demo.

Last edited:

SKYF@ll

You have to wonder if the money spent on the 5.5 GBps ssd wouldve been better spent on a better CPU or GPU or even faster vram.
DF has already answered this question.
Look at the benchmarks of the RX6700 (11.2 TFlops) and RTX4060 (15.1 TFlops).
It's been four years since both the PS5 and Xbox Series X were released, so they're just outdated.
NM1zYDl.jpg

tr1p1ex

in the past the system that sold better always punched above its weight in the graphics dept due to more attention by developers.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It's sometimes forgotten that LibGCM on the PS3 was arguably the first modern low-level API that popularized the whole thing. GNM continued this line. Xbox uses a custom version of DX12, which by all appearances appears to be a bit higher level than Playstation's, which allows more portability and Microsoft being looser with adding clock speed or GPU cores without breaking compatibility vs Sony's more cautious approach with it as an option, but still has more performance overhead than the low level bespoke Playstation API. There might also be something to be said about FreeBSD as the OS vs skinned Windows and VMs.

Top Bottom