• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Konami ever fix the Silent Hill HD collection?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So PCGaf, I don't have the leisure of having a gaming rig with me right now but how well would SH2/3 run on a laptop that I bought 2 years ago?

(Note: by some miracle, I managed to get my copy of Half-Life 2 and its episodes to run on almost full settings on this thing)

So PCGaf, I don't have the leisure of having a gaming rig with me right now but how well would SH2/3 run on a laptop that I bought 2 years ago?

(Note: by some miracle, I managed to get my copy of Half-Life 2 and its episodes to run on almost full settings on this thing)
SH 2&3 should be able to run on most rigs. If you could run HL2 at max, you shouldn't have a problem.

Red or Alive

Neo Member
Technically, the PC version is also missing many of the fog effects (at the very least, the in-game fog is markedly less dense than in the PS2 original).

Having said that, I still think the PC port is a perfectly adequate way to play game.

Considering these are the requirements:
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_2:_Director's_Cut#System_requirements
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_3#System_requirements

I'm sure a toaster could run them these days.

Mzo

Finally people on gaf are starting to be a little more reasonable, i understand the hate for the collection given that the games are two of the best ever made but it's getting ridiculous. Not everyone has these games on pc and a machine capable of playing them, everyone also doesn't own a SD tv and the original games.
The collection isn't perfect, it's still broken on 360, but all these pre-patch images and review videos are not a fair representation if people are genuinely asking for any way to play these amazing games.
Imagine if people still made uncharted 3 threads about how the aiming was so bad.

Stretched cutscenes alone are offensive as hell. That TV overlay is INEXCUSABLE. Add to that erroneous textures, erroneous sound files (issues that came up because they were working with beta game files since Konami lost the release files), voice acting that completely misses the point, utterly broken depth of field effect, super clean street textures, horrible performance on a newer system for an old-ass game... No.

Just no.

Seriously blows my mind that someone would buy the HD Collection knowing how fucking atrocious it is. Like others have said, there are better options.

PS2 versions can be played on your PS2, OG PS3, or PC.

Xbox version of 2 can played on Xbox and X360.

PC versions can run on basically any PC today.

If you're on Neogaf, the chances that you have at least one of these consoles is pretty high. Anyone considering the HD Collection, please reconsider :(

I get it, your a massive silent hill fan, well guess what....so am i
Whilst the hd collection isn't perfect, if you can't play the originals then i say it's still better to play two stunning games which, even without a few effects are still miles better than any supposed survival horror titles released since.
I played the originals and also the hd collection lot's of times, yes there are things changed or missing but it's better than not playing them at all, and your still linking to articles which show the game before the patch came out.
I will defend the collection because it has both silent hill 2 and 3 on it, and even in an incomplete state they are still amazing games that everyone should experience, with or without a few effects and sounds.

You're mad. The HD collection is a rotting pile of trash on fire.

Wooooow. Guy Chihi is a fucking dirt-bag. He used his daughter as a cover in order to audition for the lead in a video game playing the sympathy cord of being unemployed when he was actually very wealthy?

People like this guy?

This may very well be the stupidest bullshit I've read on GAF in a long time. Bravo, Junior.

Whilst the hd collection isn't perfect, if you can't play the originals then i say it's still better to play two stunning games which, even without a few effects are still miles better than any supposed survival horror titles released since.
I played the originals and also the hd collection lot's of times, yes there are things changed or missing but it's better than not playing them at all, and your still linking to articles which show the game before the patch came out.
I will defend the collection because it has both silent hill 2 and 3 on it, and even in an incomplete state they are still amazing games that everyone should experience, with or without a few effects and sounds.

If you're seriously trying to simplify the HD Collection's issues as "without a few effects and sounds," watch all of these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wya4XhTPMcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYkNUyBhS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58n-Gg1GrE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1vlqb9Zrk (make note of the multiple times SH3 HD crashes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1026cc4t1pE (this one happened just a few weeks ago on the patched PS3 version)

Recall

Uhm...

4.jpg

I'm guessing the intention was to shrink those videos down to the TV size, for resolution sake?

Still blows my mind how much they fucked it up.

I played them recently and they looked totally fine. Didn't have any bug/glitch whatsoever and the graphics were OK. Never played the originals though and I'm sure that for some people it's like I never played Silent Hill 2 & 3 at all.

Is there any hope for Konami rebuild a new HD collection for current gen of consoles? Looking for some amends on his mistakes with SH HD on PS3/X360 and give another little boost to the new game

Catdaddy

Well, I bought the HD collection last week from Amazon and played it this weekend. I played SH2 for a couple hours and encountered 3 crashes/glitches, after the third time, I just quit. May try again this coming weekend, but yeah it's still buggy.

With the last bug, I came out of a building and turned right and walked into a white background - the character was there but nothing else. Reminded me of the Daffy Duck / Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs erases the everything behind Daffy.

Is there any hope for Konami rebuild a new HD collection for current gen of consoles? Looking for some amends on his mistakes with SH HD on PS3/X360 and give another little boost to the new game

The only ONLY way this could even be considered is if, now with Blu-Ray storage capability, they can do the entire SH1-SH4 series on one disc.

But I seriously doubt Konami will ever approach a Silent Hill HD remake ever again after this debacle.

Astarte

See, I can't see a silent Hill fan defending this travesty. If you want to play silent hill, play them like they were meant to be played.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So I decided to revisit the HD Collection ver. of SH2 on my PS3 (Note: I bought it 2 years ago without knowing how shitty it was) and all I could think of is "Good God, the brightness/contrast in this game is fucking atrocious".

Insides are a bit too bright to make any tension proper, while being outside is too fucking dim to stomach. Whoever managed this part needed to have his/her eyes checked.

Lime

So I decided to revisit the HD Collection ver. of SH2 on my PS3 (Note: I bought it 2 years ago without knowing how shitty it was) and all I could think of is "Good God, the brightness/contrast in this game is fucking atrocious".

Insides are a bit too bright to make any tension proper, while being outside is too fucking dim to stomach. Whoever managed this part needed to have his/her eyes checked.

Yup

4.png

How does Silent Hill 2,3, and 4 on PC work? I just put the PS2 disc in my laptop, and then follow the guidelines in that one Silent Hill PC thread? Is that correct?

EDIT: Nevermind I'm dumb. For some reason I was assuming that there weren't PC versions. After a bit of searching the cheapest I found SH2 PC is $50. And the cheapest SH3 PC I found was $20. Is it worth it to play these versions at $70 rather than the HD collection at $30?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Got SH2 going on PC, just don't know how to add AA, Widescreen, or bump up the res.
Read the PC GAF guide.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488899

You can actually try the SH3 demo to see how it'll run.

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Games-Demo/Silent-Hill-3.shtml

I think I love this series so much that I ignored all the flaws. Was just great to play it with upgraded textures.
By 'upgraded' do you mean the textures which were replaced by an 'artist' opening up a file in Photoshop, filling it with a grey square and clicking save?

Okay! Downloaded SH1 on my PS3 tonight, and ebay'd SH2 and SH3 for 25 a pop. Excited to see what this series is all about!

PS2 versions, right? With SH2, (and maybe 3 as well, can't remember) don't forget to change the controls in the options. My memory might be foggy, but I'm sure it's set to tank controls. You can change to a more natural control scheme in the options. It might be redundant advice if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the shitty tank controls were default.

Other than that, if you can stomach it, only play the games at night and in the dark. Take your time and enjoy the experience. They're unsettling, difficult to play games in the most wonderful way possible. I played them exclusively at night, it was horrific and I loved every minute of it.

Silent Hill might be more difficult to enjoy in the context of the poorly aged PS1 era polygons. It still has a ton of atmosphere, but without the nostalgia, don't be surprised if it doesn't quite pull you in. On the other hand, SH2 and SH3 have aged really well. Enjoy.
I'm always secretly envious of anyone who gets to experience these 2 for the first time.

KyleCross

I played SH1 for the first time (have it from PS+) a week ago (strangely just a few days before this whole PT thing kicked off) and... it's still a very effective horror game. I was legit disturbed when the first transition took place and I was suddenly surrounded by blood and guts and babies stabbing at my feet killing me... only to wake up in a diner.

I know a lot of plot points in the SH series but I'm still fresh on most of the actual games. I'm heavily tempted to stream my first ever playthroughs on Twitch (play all of them back to back to back... but not in a marathon of course) but I dunno if now would be the best time, with all the hype for Silent Hills a lot of people are probably doing that right now.

Can't believe ppl are defending this....I mean it's the worst HD collection ever created, which not only added a list of bugs that wasn't present in the originals, they butchered the art, the dialogues, the voices and the atmosphere of the game. This is the perfect example of how not to do a remaster, it's a disgrace that had a negative impact in the franchise and fucked 2 of the best games of the PS2 era.

UrbanRats

After reading again the article you quoted? Go on youtube or twitch and just watch the original games being played without commentary.
It'll still be better than playing a completely broken port.

And if afterwards if you feel bad about it 'cause you didn't pay money for that, go give 60$ to charity.

The decent thing would've been to buy it used anyway, because Konami better not profit from this crap, so hopefully next time they'll at least try to get it right.
--
This collection makes me mad because i care about artisitc preservation, and the idea that this is the only legal, realistic method to play these games for the future generations (used copies of the PC and PS2 copies can only switch hands so many times) is infuriating.

The least Konami could do is release those broken, fan patched PC versions on STEAM or the like.

Z3M0G

Started SH2 on my PS2 last night. Game didn't age all that well... too bad the HD shitmaster didn't come out good... I'd love to play a proper HD version of this game. But man is the combat rougher than I remembered... the animation of swinging your weapon at an enemy is laughable. And my GF just laughs every time I kick an enemy while it's down... she says I kick like a sissy. I tried switching to 2D controls but that only lasted a few minutes before reverting back to classic 3D (tank) controls. It's not even true analogue movement in 2D mode... only 8 directions. Would be better with DPad. But the combination of 3D mode (tank) and using L2 a lot to see where you are looking works very well.

Did they revamp the analogue movement controls and camera work in the HD version?

The least Konami could do is release those broken, fan patched PC versions on STEAM or the like.

The problem with that is they are probably scared they will catch a ton of flak for releasing games that don't work as a modern PC release would without the user having to do a bunch of stuff. There are old games on Steam that are like this and I like having them there because I can just install some fan patches myself but I think a new release of SH2/3 that counts as a 'new release' would have people expecting they put some work into them, which they are obviously unwilling to do.

Catdaddy

Did they revamp the analogue movement controls and camera work in the HD version?

I'll admit I didn't play it on the PS2, but judging from the HD version, it took me a while to get used to the movement, cause its only on the left stick. The camera drove me nuts, and I finally figured out you can use the search (L2 I think) and it will sometimes swing around.

The problem with that is they are probably scared they will catch a ton of flak for releasing games that don't work as a modern PC release would without the user having to do a bunch of stuff. There are old games on Steam that are like this and I like having them there because I can just install some fan patches myself but I think a new release of SH2/3 that counts as a 'new release' would have people expecting they put some work into them, which they are obviously unwilling to do.

SH3 works out of the box.

Blakynt

Banned
I stayed far away from these... they could never fix all the problem with this collection, the biggest problems are FAR from only technical.

Watch this... it's long, and their humor is terrible, but it is an AMAZING watch for the critical dissection they perform on the collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYkNUyBhS4

the big problem is the fog and the voice acting for SH2

for SH3 is performance and sound sync

none of those are or will be fix

WeskerXXI

These thread motivated me to buy the Silent Hill saga al last, so yesterday I ordered Silent Hill 2 (Platinum/Greatests Hits version) for PS2 off eBay and I'm thinking about getting the PS2 Collection for 3 and The Room, getting a non Platinum disc for 2 in the process. Would like to also have the PC versions of 2 and 3 at least.

Man, what a shameful and wasted opportunity the HD Collection was. A friend got it blindly and was surprised when I told him about the problems it got.

A bit off topic but, is the MGS HD Collection on the 360 worth getting? I got 2 and the original Snake Eater (non Subsistence) on the PS2.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
A bit off topic but, is the MGS HD Collection on the 360 worth getting? I got 2 and the original Snake Eater (non Subsistence) on the PS2.

AFAIK the 360 version of MGS HD is very good. I have some vague memory of the PS3 version having the slight edge, but nothing major like the SH HD collection where the 360 version is definitely worse than the PS3 version.

BkMogul

I guess I had "rose-tinted glasses" syndrome. I remember being impressed with the character models (and some environments) as compared to the original.

WeskerXXI

AFAIK the 360 version of MGS HD is very good. I have some vague memory of the PS3 version having the slight edge, but nothing major like the SH HD collection where the 360 version is definitely worse than the PS3 version.
Cool, thanks. I knew it wasn't an atrocity like the Silent Hill one, but seeing as the 360 version of the ZOE Collection was also never fixed as the PS3 one, it's better to ask.

KyleCross

The PS3 version still has analog button support as the DualShock 3 supports it, but the 360 controller doesn't. In case anyone is unsure of what I'm talking about, it's when the button detects different amounts of pressure. It was a big mechanic in the original PS2 releases. Stuff like pressing the fire button doesn't shoot the gun, but letting go of it does; if you let go quickly you shoot but if you let go slowly you don't. The 360 replaced all this be clicking down on the thumb stick.

So basically the PS3 version is the original way the games were intended to be played, all prettied up. While the 360 has to have its controls worked around.

The PS3 version still has analog button support as the DualShock 3 supports it, but the 360 controller doesn't. In case anyone is unsure of what I'm talking about, it's when the button detects different amounts of pressure. It was a big mechanic in the original PS2 releases. Stuff like pressing the fire button doesn't shoot the gun, but letting go of it does; if you let go quickly you shoot but if you let go slowly you don't. The 360 replaced all this be clicking down on the thumb stick.

So basically the PS3 version is the original way the games were intended to be played, all prettied up. While the 360 has to have its controls worked around.
Fwiw I actually enjoyed the new controls in MGS 3. Maybe I'm weird that way.

red731

If I remember correctly, the guys doing the port LOVED the games. THEY LOVED THEM AF.
And that love vanished with fog, atmospheric stuff and teetheye and so on. ed: but to not be so rude, they might not have everything from past games etc.

ed: yeah, what georaldc posted.

I ended up buying a PS2 this week so I can dust off my copies of 2 and 3.

I have never actually played the original. How does the downloadable PSN version run?

Top Bottom