• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Konami ever fix the Silent Hill HD collection?

Grab the PS2 versions and emulate.

If you can't play it any other way, sure. SH 2 is fine after a patch on PS3 outside of horrible looking water on a boat scene. SH 3 seems to still be quite a mixed bag of glitches and bugs even after patch but I didn't play that one after patch so cant really comment.

You do have a PC? Then get them for PC. Or buy the PS2 ones and buy/rent a PS2 for them. They are worth that. But don't get the HD collection.

Get 2 and 3 for PC, but if that's not feasible.. The HD collection is still bad even after the patch, but at least the games are still good in and of themselves, so..

Welp......I have a Mac and its absolute shite for gaming. God damn it why aren't these games on PSN.....I bet its just so the HD collection sells.

Alebrije

I still can't believe how terrible the lake looked. Yuck.

MwAvM.jpg

row__row__row_your_boat__animation__by_copperkidd-d567506.gif

Persona7

Banned
It's also funny to recall that Konami & the people responsible for the HD port didn't even bother to look up the original voice actress of Heather in SH3 to get her agreement to re-release the work she did. Thus, the new voice acting in SH3 wasn't even needed, if Konami & co. had actually done their research and gotten the approval of the SH3 voice actors.

And let's not even talk about the fucking script changes. Like holy fuck, how can anyone start changing up the actual lines of an original work? Who do the people responsible think they are?

They did not even try contacting. I can't remember what the official statement was but it was something like she never responded. This just shows that the effort put in was extremely low. A fan was able to track her down but not the people who handle these legal issues at Konami.

Retroplayer- Heather, since its release Silent Hill 3, and the character of Heather Mason herself, has gained quite a large fan following. Because this is your first interview do you have a message for your fans out there who from first playing Silent Hill 3 back in 2003 have appreciated and enjoyed your work?

Heather- I am truly thankful and honored that people appreciated my work on Silent Hill 3. I am happy that Denis Murphy put in the effort to find me and invite me to share my experience. I only now became aware that they were re-releasing Silent Hill 3 and I had not been contacted by anyone from Konami about the possibility of re-recording. It is unfortunate, as I would have loved to be involved in the project. I hope that all the fans out there enjoy the new actress’s portrayal of Heather as much as they did mine and enjoy playing the game. Thank you all.

http://www.thegamingliberty.com/2012/01/heather-mason-speaks-an-interview-with-heather-morris/

Chabbles

I still can't believe how terrible the lake looked. Yuck.

MwAvM.jpg

This is the PS3 version after the fog patch(below). 360 didnt get this patch, instead konami offered some sort of refund/game swap deal if you had the receipt.
I say if you can pick it up for the PS3 for cheap, SH2 is playable (still some micro stuttering in the town though if your sensitive to that), but SH3 is garbage, voice sync issues and the look of the game is just off, and theres the blue fog when you hit the town.

vlc_2014_08_17_22_34_38_06.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Think I'll just emulate the PS2 version of Silent Hill 2 one day. I'm sure the pc version's nice but it seems like a lot of work :p

As a horror fan it's a shame I've never played any of these games though. It's mainly SH2 & 3 you have to play right?

komplanen

I stayed far away from these... they could never fix all the problem with this collection, the biggest problems are FAR from only technical.

Watch this... it's long, and their humor is terrible, but it is an AMAZING watch for the critical dissection they perform on the collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYkNUyBhS4

Anyone have a clue why these guys were so heavily downvoted on YouTube? I always thought it was a pretty entertaining review but... was it wrong or something?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Welp......I have a Mac and its absolute shite for gaming. God damn it why aren't these games on PSN.....I bet its just so the HD collection sells.

Of course, it's a Mac *ba-dum tsch* ;p

Seriously though, doesn't the PS2 emulator for PS3 basically work on a game-to-game basis, which is why there's a ton of beloved PS2 games that haven't been put up on PSN? Not to mention the PS3 apparently had problems with some of the graphical effects Team Silent pulled off on the PS2 (I think it was transparency effects or something like that).

the HD collection isn't that bad after the patch on ps3, i've played through both 2 and 3 lots of times, and yes, whilst some effects aren't as good like the fog and a few audio effects, it's actually not that bad.
the biggest problem is that every review and every picture people will counter this argument with will be either from the 360 version or from before the patch.
Yes i know the originals on a sd tv are better, or even PC if you have them, but the collection is perfectly playable and showcases two of the best games ever made which sadly are missing a few effects.

Grief.exe

Think I'll just emulate the PS2 version of Silent Hill 2 one day. I'm sure the pc version's nice but it seems like a lot of work :p

As a horror fan it's a shame I've never played any of these games though. It's mainly SH2 & 3 you have to play right?

You would essentially be forced to pirate the PC versions anyways. The original versions are extremely cost prohibitive, would be difficult to justify their purchase.

Don't know where that ends up on the morality side of the argument, but I will just end up tracking down the PS2 versions as well.

jimi_dini

Welp......I have a Mac and its absolute shite for gaming.

PS2 console is $20 to $30 on ebay. Just get one. Get the originals. And enjoy. I already said - those 2 games are absolutely worth that.

Anyway, isn't that PS2 emulator also available for Macs?

God damn it why aren't these games on PSN.....I bet its just so the HD collection sells.

Would make sense. I mean if the suits at Konami had any brain, they would have contacted a proper company mid-development. Instead they released this piece of shit. And when you have already fucked up that much, why not also effectively force people to buy your turd.

If they had released a proper HD collection, they would have sold way more copies.

Anyone have a clue why these guys were so heavily downvoted on YouTube? I always thought it was a pretty entertaining review but... was it wrong or something?

They actually asked for downvotes. Was supposed to downvote the HD collection. Their review is absolutely spot on and crazily in depth. Which also explains their attitude. I would have been really pissed if I would have needed to play through this broken mess several times.

The PC version isn't a lot of work, unless you want widescreen (which takes like 2 minutes) and the upscaled cutscenes which I imagine taking a bit to download. But emulating the PS2 version works fine too.

and yes, although SH1 is great, it can be very hard to go back to without the nostalgia I think. SH4 is very frustrating at some parts, however also got some interesting things going on, if 2 and 3 have you wanting more it's worth checking out, but SH2 is a great place to start.

You would essentially be forced to pirate the PC versions anyways. The original versions are extremely cost prohibitive, would be difficult to justify their purchase.

Silent Hill 3 can easily be found for around 20 pounds, while SH2 is a bit more expensive on PC, however just a quick search on ebay reveals a copy for 35 pounds. Not that bad. Used of course, if you want them new I have no idea, probably impossible to find.

Accoun

and yes, although SH1 is great, it can be very hard to go back to without the nostalgia I think.

I'd disagree. Played it recently on PSP (didn't play it back in the day) and had no problems with getting into it. Maybe if you'd try to play it on a big screen, you'd have some - I know some people can't get over PSX resolution - but other than that, not really.

Don't know where that ends up on the morality side of the argument, but I will just end up tracking down the PS2 versions as well.

SH2 and SH3 (and SH4) on steam are such a logical move.

All 3 games already have a PC, SH2 will only need a bit of work to properly work on modern PC...

But yeah....Konami. The only SH game avliable is Homecoming....HOMECOMING!!

I'd disagree. Played it recently on PSP (didn't play it back in the day) and had no problems with getting into it. Maybe if you'd try to play it on a big screen, you'd have some - I know some people can't get over PSX resolution - but other than that, not really.

Well that's cool. I just know I'm a bit frustrated with some things playing it this day, but well, maybe I'm just picky. (also on psp btw)

komplanen

PS2 console is $20 to $30 on ebay. Just get one. Get the originals. And enjoy. I already said - those 2 games are absolutely worth that.

Anyway, isn't that PS2 emulator also available for Macs?

Would make sense. I mean if the suits at Konami had any brain, they would have contacted a proper company mid-development. Instead they released this piece of shit. And when you have already fucked up that much, why not also effectively force people to buy your turd.

If they had released a proper HD collection, they would have sold way more copies.

They actually asked for downvotes. Was supposed to downvote the HD collection. Their review is absolutely spot on and crazily in depth. Which also explains their attitude. I would have been really pissed if I would have needed to play through this broken mess several times.

The annotations say to POUND THAT dislike button if you hate the HD collection

Oh hah sorry I guess I have annotations disabled :-D

Recall

Who was the guy in charge of this? Wasn't he so adamant that the collection was perfect and in constant denial?

FYI if you go the ps2 route for SH2 get the greatest hits version. It has the extra features that came with the Xbox release.

Oh and if PC, and ps2 are a no go SH2 is out for the first xbox

jimi_dini

This scene is incredibly well done.Angela's delivery is really memorable and so is James'.

And they do sound a lot like psychologically unstable people.

This here is also so memorable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyaLoaUbExk <-- end game spoilers SH2

"it's hot as hell in here"
"you see it too? For me it's always like this"

and this here still gives me the shivers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2RR0YywfG0 <-- end game spoilers SH2

it's so spot on

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I don't think he mentioned anything like that on GAF until the day or day after it was released.

He did? I was sure it was after release, but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Oh, to clarify: Yeah, he said it after the game was released. What I meant was that he acknowledged being aware that the collection was a broken mess before Konami sent it to market.

Recall

He did? I was sure it was after release when everyone started complaining, but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Yeah I thought I remember him defending it to the high hills until it was obvious he wasn't convincing anyone. I'm Gonna have to go find those posts...

Accoun

FYI if you go the ps2 route for SH2 get the greatest hits version. It has the extra features that came with the Xbox release.

Ah, damn. I don't like buying these greatest hits/platinum/etc. editions (also, I'd have to import them since no one sells it on forums/auction sites locally) - but then again, it's better than not having the features at all on PS2. Quick googling says it also has updated graphics (additional effects added in Xbox port, I think). Anyone knows if both versions run the same, or the effects took a shot on the framerate? SH2 runs at 60 FPS?

Almost perfectly, as far as I know. Though you might be better off going with the native PC version (except for SH2 I think).

Silent Hill 2 on PC runs fine for me. It is the true HD version in my humble opinion and you can do no wrong to get it on the PC.

Compbros

You can find it for cheaper than that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILENT-HILL...0064?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2c88f664d0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PlayStation...5489?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f3af10c41

Or win an auction one. If you want one new then yeah, you're gonna be paying.

Edit: Sorry, you said console, I misread.

jimi_dini

Quick googling says it also has updated graphics (additional effects added in Xbox port, I think). Anyone knows if both versions run the same, or the effects took a shot on the framerate? SH2 runs at 60 FPS?

PS2 Greatest Hits version has the same graphical enhancements of the Xbox version (the lake right at the start looks better for example). PS2 version has the best fog effects in any case. It also has better audio quality than the PC version. PC version uses lossy and bad ADX codec for audio. And the sampling rate was 24000 Hz.

Not sure about the actual game, but the cutscenes were afaik 60 fps on PS2. Xbox cutscenes were 30 fps. EDIT: found it, PS2 gameplay ran at 30 fps (also prone to drop frames).

D-Stubbs

This is the PS3 version after the fog patch(below). 360 didnt get this patch, instead konami offered some sort of refund/game swap deal if you had the receipt.
I say if you can pick it up for the PS3 for cheap, SH2 is playable (still some micro stuttering in the town though if your sensitive to that), but SH3 is garbage, voice sync issues and the look of the game is just off, and theres the blue fog when you hit the town.
Yeah I played it on the 360 so I never got the patch. Cool they added some fog to that scene but still doesn't help that it looks like your rowing in a lake full of mercury. So did the PS3 patch fix the scene where you meet Maria near the lake too because that also looks like absolute crap.

GJls2.jpg

HD on the left, PS2 on the right. I remember laughing hard at that. Add some fog and it at least be passable but god is that bad.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Really don't know why they did this. Maybe the "television" is an improvement? :l

Almost certainly because it's prerendered CG video at an SD resolution from 2001, and they no longer had the source to rerender at an HD resolution. Your only options are to blow it up huge, which is going to look terrible, or "postage stamp" it (run it at native res with black bars or a border around it), which also doesn't look too great. But to go this route with it is just inexplicable. Not only are you blowing the intentional ambiguity of the scene, but you're covering up the picture. Incredibly strange.

Anim

Silent Hill 3 can easily be found for around 20 pounds, while SH2 is a bit more expensive on PC, however just a quick search on ebay reveals a copy for 35 pounds. Not that bad. Used of course, if you want them new I have no idea, probably impossible to find.

There are new copies of Silent Hill 3 for PC on Amazon for around 10 pounds:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000C1CJN/

I also think that for Silent Hill 2 and 3 the PC versions are the best way to go. I played SH2 on a Celeron 1.7 GHz and GeForce 2 MX 400 back in the day without any issues, so if you can find it for a decent price, you should be able to run it on basically any hardware from the last 10 years.

Krammy

Regarding PCSX2, I see some people saying it works well, but last I heard there were still graphical glitches like missing shadows. Can anyone confirm that these issues were solved and it works as intended now?

If that's the case, I might convert over to PCSX2 from my regular PlayStation 2.

On-Topic: The HD collection is atrocious, even after the patch. As many have said, it's like fixing a gaping wound with a piece of tape. Things like the fog were barely patched up, and the frame rate still stutters all the time, although not as terribly as the original release. I'd recommend just buying a PlayStation 2 and playing them there because it's not worth souring your first experience with the HD collection.

EDIT: My question is concerning all three PlayStation 2 games, although if one game works and another doesn't I'd like to know specifically.

Chabbles

Yeah I played it on the 360 so I never got the patch. Cool they added some fog to that scene but still doesn't help that it looks like your rowing in a lake full of mercury. So did the PS3 patch fix the scene where you meet Maria near the lake too because that also looks like absolute crap.

GJls2.jpg

HD on the left, PS2 on the right. I remember laughing hard at that. Add some fog and it at least be passable but god is that bad.

Yep, thats what the patch was for, to fix the fog.
I done a walkthrough after the patch, Skip 1 min into this vid to see that scene after the patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6GmlWRqJ-c&index=10&list=PLd4jZRAzc5n-PwHslbRd1nULyxY91Cxsv

Im not defending the Collection because it was released in a dreadfull state, and the 360 never even got the fix.. but SH2HD is playable on PS3 after the patch, the biggest difference to the original on PS2 is replaced textures here and there.

GJls2.jpg

PS3 version does not look like this after the patch, everyone keeps posting the same pre-patch pictures over and over again. I understand the hate for the collection but the patch fixed an absolute truck load of the problems, the fog is still not perfect but it's way better than this.

HeelPower

Lime

Wow...I now want to get the original Xbox version at least after seeing that.

Dont do it if you're playing the Xbox version through your 360. The emulation is fucked and you're gonna get tons of Glitches and missing textures.

If you're gonna go back to playing in SD, then get the ps2 version, as the Xbox version doesn't have same volumetric fog effect as the ps2 version.

Top Bottom