• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Fallout 4 Next-Gen Upgrade - The Good, The Bad & The Bugged

thor GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- PC
- "big disappointment"
- Ultra Wide HUD is stretched and not native to 21 : 9, also occasional HUD bugs, also breaks some mods.
- No official means to go higher than 60. Weapon Debree setting still causes the game to crash when not disabled.

- Consoles
- No HDR support
- Performance/ Quality toggle on Xbox doesn't work. Always runs in Performance mode, applies to both SX | SS
- PS5 is the only console where the 30 / 40 hz Quality mode works
- Quality mode offers settings equivalent to PC's Ultra (not all setting parameters run equivalent to Ultra tho)
- Even on Quality mode, some things like shadow cascades are still running at PC Medium equivalent

- Xbox versions have higher distance Geometry LoD settings in its only-working-mode even if PS5 is running in Quality mode
- Performance mode has minor DRS from 4K to 2016p in Performance mode on both PS5 / SX
- Corvega factory roof stress test areas and some Boston roads can cause minor drops to mid 50s and brief stretches of 100ms response
- Top of corvega factory is the best place to notice difference in Quality / Performance mode and how Xbox is always on Perf. mode settings
- Series S benefits with this update even in just the Performance mode, as it runs higher resolution than the Xbox One BC version in FPS boost

- SX | SS can have lower draw distance for some things compared to One X, since the Quality mode toggle doesn't work
- PS5 shadow quality and draw distance for shadows / foliage in Quality mode are close to PS4 Pro
- Top of corvega factory has drops to mid 50s on PS5 as well
- 120hz / 40 FPS modes run the game with the same as 30 FPS Quality settings
- This mode did not show drops in the top of the corvega factory area

- If PS5 is set to 1440p on system level, the game renders natively at 1440p with Ultra equivalent settings (same as Quality mode)
- But this mode shows some drops in the corvega factory stress test

Last edited:

adamsapple

Interesting to note that even in its currently bugged Performance-only mode, the Xbox versions (even Series S) have higher LoD settings than PS5 in its Quality mode.

3dDaksY.png

Last edited:

Fbh

lol at the PS5 patch being better right now.
Overall seems like a pretty basic upgrade, but for free I don't think it's too bad.
The sweet spot to me seems like the 1440p performance mode on Ps5: The higher settings from the quality mode + 60fps most of the time + still an acceptable resolution. Shame it's not an easy toggle in the menu and you have to basically trick the game into enabling it.

Interesting to note that even in its currently bugged Performance-only mode, the Xbox versions (even Series S) have higher LoD settings than PS5 in its Quality mode.

3dDaksY.png

Maybe in some specific spots, but in the video that's not the case in most of the comparisons they make

adamsapple

Maybe in some specific spots, but in the video that's not the case in most of the comparisons they make

It's a PC equivalent pre-set that's carried on from One X and PS4 Pro to their respective next iterations. Going by the video it seems like the One X version was already equivalent to PC's Ultra but PS5 has retained whatever PS4 Pro was.

intbal

Did any Xbox users ever use the FPS Unlock mod on a One X?
What was the average performance range?

adamsapple

Did any Xbox users ever use the FPS Unlock mod on a One X?
What was the average performance range?

edit: I missed the part where you said you want to see it on One X. The mod is not recommended to be used there by the authors.

Yes, I used it and loved it and wish it were still possible to keep the game un-updated :(

It was mostly good but could drop a bunch (they show a clip of it in the video), but the drops weren't that big of an issue for VRR displays.

Example:

Same spot with 4K/60 One X (On Series X) mod drops to mid 40s but locked 60 in the new Performance Mode patch.

cwk9d0s.png

qxaI2qZ.png

Last edited:

intbal

Yes, I used it and loved it and wish it were still possible to keep the game un-updated :(

It was mostly good but could drop a bunch (they show a clip of it in the video), but the drops weren't that big of an issue for VRR displays.
But the One X hasn't changed as a result of this patch, though. So it should still be 4k/30. I have a 4k VRR monitor. If the One X can play the game at ~40-45fps with a mod, I'll just play it there instead of my Series X.

adamsapple

But the One X hasn't changed as a result of this patch, though. So it should still be 4k/30. I have a 4k VRR monitor. If the One X can play the game at ~40-45fps with a mod, I'll just play it there instead of my Series X.

The One X mod running on Series X*

Not on the One X itself.

The One X's old Jaguar CPU doesn't do that well. The mod itself recommends that it's only to be used with the game running on Series consoles.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's a PC equivalent pre-set that's carried on from One X and PS4 Pro to their respective next iterations. Going by the video it seems like the One X version was already equivalent to PC's Ultra but PS5 has retained whatever PS4 Pro was.

Sure, but again, in most comparisons they make there's an obvious improvement in LOD on the Ps5 quality mode vs the XSX performance mode
wPzCStc.jpeg
cZhpgnW.jpeg

Mr Moose

MODE-COMP-3.jpg

adamsapple

Sure, but again, in most comparisons they make there's an obvious improvement in LOD on the Ps5 quality mode vs the XSX performance mode
wPzCStc.jpeg
cZhpgnW.jpeg

Well .. yes, because the Xbox version's Quality mode is literally broken and doesn't even work when toggled, and that' not LoD, that's draw distance.

Fbh

Well .. yes, because the Xbox version's Quality mode is literally broken and doesn't even work when toggled, and that' not LoD, that's draw distance.

What's the difference?
So those elements in the comparison you posted don't show up on Ps5 even if you move closer?

adamsapple

What's the difference?
So those elements in the comparison you posted don't show up on Ps5 even if you move closer?

The draw distance is how far out things are drawn, which is higher on PS5's Quality mode because it runs a higher pre-set than the Standard mode. The LoD is how far out the game loads higher quality version of a texture, based on that one location example that one pre-set is higher on Xbox even if its running globally at a lower setting level (Standard vs Ultra). Obviously there could be more instances like that not seen in the video.

But to the greater point, the Xbox version not having a working Quality mode right now means that globally it draws things less far out compared to the PS5 version when running in Quality mode.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The draw distance is how far out things are drawn, which is higher on PS5's Quality mode because it runs a higher pre-set than the Standard mode. The LoD is how far out the game loads higher quality version of a texture, based on that one location example that one pre-set is higher on Xbox even if its running globally at a lower setting level (Standard vs Ultra). Obviously there could be more instances like that not seen in the video.

But to the greater point, the Xbox version not having a working Quality mode right now means that globally it draws things less far out compared to the PS5 version when running in Quality mode.
3dDaksY.png

So this thing is due to draw distance and the stuff further out is LoD? :pie_thinking:

Topher

Gold Member
- PC
- "big disappointment"
- Ultra Wide HUD is stretched and not native to 21 : 9, also occasional HUD bugs, also breaks some mods.
- No official means to go higher than 60. Weapon Debree setting still causes the game to crash when not disabled.

- Consoles
- No HDR support
- Performance/ Quality toggle on Xbox doesn't work. Always runs in Performance mode, applies to both SX | SS
- PS5 is the only console where the 30 / 40 hz Quality mode works
- Quality mode offers settings equivalent to PC's Ultra (not all setting parameters run equivalent to Ultra tho)
- Even on Quality mode, some things like shadow cascades are still running at PC Medium equivalent

- Xbox versions have higher distance Geometry LoD settings in its only-working-mode even if PS5 is running in Quality mode
- Performance mode has minor DRS from 4K to 2016p in Performance mode on both PS5 / SX
- Corvega factory roof stress test areas and some Boston roads can cause minor drops to mid 50s and brief stretches of 100ms response
- Top of corvega factory is the best place to notice difference in Quality / Performance mode and how Xbox is always on Perf. mode settings
- Series S benefits with this update even in just the Performance mode, as it runs higher resolution than the Xbox One BC version in FPS boost

- SX | SS can have lower draw distance for some things compared to One X, since the Quality mode toggle doesn't work
- PS5 shadow quality and draw distance for shadows / foliage in Quality mode are close to PS4 Pro
- Top of corvega factory has drops to mid 50s on PS5 as well
- 120hz / 40 FPS modes run the game with the same as 30 FPS Quality settings
- This mode did not show drops in the top of the corvega factory area

- If PS5 is set to 1440p on system level, the game renders natively at 1440p with Ultra equivalent settings (same as Quality mode)
- But this mode shows some drops in the corvega factory stress test

What a shit show. Bethesda being Bethesda.

adamsapple

3dDaksY.png

So this thing is due to draw distance and the stuff further out is LoD? :pie_thinking:

I would say yes, it's literally not drawing it on the Xbox, so the global draw distance is lower there. If it was there but looked a different level of texture like the roof and the door facade, then at least they'd both be drawing the same distance.

Darsxx82

3dDaksY.png
Everything indicates that the PS5 version uses the PS4Pro version as a basis for better and worse.

The 1440p 60fps mode also suffers from fps drops in the same areas as the performance mode. That is, PS5 becomes the PS4Pro version at 60fps vs 30fps in that mode.

In the case of XSeries, only XSS users achieve a benefit. XSX users are affected by how they could play before the patch via BC.
It is calamitous that the promised extra game modes are not available on what should be the preferred platform.

adamsapple

draw distance is not the same as level of detail ..

The Xbox version has clearly lesser draw distance because it's only running in the Performance mode settings, but per DF the geometry LoD is closer to a higher PC pre-set that's lower on PS5

EVN21dn.jpeg

Everything indicates that the PS5 version uses the PS4Pro version as a basis for better and worse.

The 1440p 60fps mode also suffers from fps drops in the same areas as the performance mode. That is, PS5 becomes the PS4Pro version at 60fps vs 30fps in that mode.

In the case of XSeries, only XSS users achieve a benefit. XSX users are affected by how they could play before the patch via BC.
It is calamitous that the promised extra game modes are not available on what should be the preferred platform.

Yep, I think this is pretty much it.

PS5 uses PS4 Pro settings for textures / shadows, but pushes the draw distance out closer to PC Ultra equivalent when it's running in Quality mode.

SX currently doesn't have a working Quality mode so it only uses the 'standard' preset, which actually has LOWER draw distance than the One X.

Series S seems to benefit from this, since it's a higher resolution than the One S version in FPS boost mode.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

draw distance is not the same as level of detail ..

The Xbox version has clearly lesser draw distance because it's only running in the Performance mode settings, but per DF the geometry LoD is closer to a higher PC pre-set that's lower on PS5

EVN21dn.jpeg
Wouldn't the grass in the other pic count as LoD?

adamsapple

Wouldn't the grass in the other pic count as LoD?

I can't say for sure but I think it's like how far it's able to draw the grass.

IIRC the PC versions have a separate slider for foliage draw distance (at least that's what I remember from ages ago) so this is just that setting on Quality vs Standard.

edit:

Yeah, as you can see, sliders for how far things are drawn (or when they fade out) are individual sliders. Quality mode probably pushes it to the max and Standard is probably somewhere near the middle or lower even.

fallout-4-settings-menu.jpg

Last edited:

Zathalus

Quite a bit worse indeed. Makes it harder to decide which console version to play if you own both consoles, quite laughable Microsoft can't even make sure they have the 100% definitive version of a 1st party game. Only the modding thing helps them here.

adamsapple

To be fair it's not the same place :p

The Xbox picture is firmly inside the city where it spikes more, the PS5 video stops long outside the city.

The Corvega roof is probably where they got the same on both and it looks like both have about the same drops / frame time there:

uSSnrZ2.png

jtLo6Ae.png

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
and that' not LoD, that's draw distance.
It's very clearly both that's higher on PS5 Quality mode:
The one abberation shown above doesn't explain away cases where geo-setting is lower - so either it's being overriden by other settings (which also - does happen, the engine settings are more often art than science when you actually peer under the hood), or it's some kind of a bug in that particular scene.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I neither affirm nor deny but... shouldn't a comparison of the same area be used to be fair?

The city area that shows the capture of XSX is precisely the one that on all platforms is indicated as the most problematic.
ccaScreenshot20240503at.png
To be fair it's not the same place :p

The Xbox picture is firmly inside the city where it spikes more, the PS5 video stops long outside the city.

The Corvega roof is probably where they got the same on both and it looks like both have about the same drops / frame time there:

uSSnrZ2.png

jtLo6Ae.png
That's not hitching.

Last edited:

Markio128

What a shitshow of an update. I deleted the PS5 version after the umpteenth crash. And then they can’t even release a version for their own fucking owners with a working quality mode.

I certainly wouldn’t get too excited about the Starfield update.

Darsxx82

This would have been a better choice than the previous one (😄), but it is difficult to discern extremes if not from 1:1 gameplay video clips.

As I said, that specific area (and more in the center of the city) is the most problematic because of how the engine work and the area is full of loading zones and events.

Last edited:
Top Bottom