• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Fallout 4 Next-Gen Upgrade - The Good, The Bad & The Bugged

Mr Moose

This would have been a better choice than the previous one (😄), but it is difficult to discern extremes if not from 1:1 gameplay video clips.

As I said, that specific area (and more in the center of the city) is the most problematic because Of how The engine work and the area is full of loading zones and events.
That one is as close as I could get it in the video, he cuts PS5 version off just before it gets to this spot. Looks like around 60ms v >100ms hitches.

Puscifer

- PC
- "big disappointment"
- Ultra Wide HUD is stretched and not native to 21 : 9, also occasional HUD bugs, also breaks some mods.
- No official means to go higher than 60. Weapon Debree setting still causes the game to crash when not disabled.

- Consoles
- No HDR support
- Performance/ Quality toggle on Xbox doesn't work. Always runs in Performance mode, applies to both SX | SS
- PS5 is the only console where the 30 / 40 hz Quality mode works
- Quality mode offers settings equivalent to PC's Ultra (not all setting parameters run equivalent to Ultra tho)
- Even on Quality mode, some things like shadow cascades are still running at PC Medium equivalent

- Xbox versions have higher distance Geometry LoD settings in its only-working-mode even if PS5 is running in Quality mode
- Performance mode has minor DRS from 4K to 2016p in Performance mode on both PS5 / SX
- Corvega factory roof stress test areas and some Boston roads can cause minor drops to mid 50s and brief stretches of 100ms response
- Top of corvega factory is the best place to notice difference in Quality / Performance mode and how Xbox is always on Perf. mode settings
- Series S benefits with this update even in just the Performance mode, as it runs higher resolution than the Xbox One BC version in FPS boost

- SX | SS can have lower draw distance for some things compared to One X, since the Quality mode toggle doesn't work
- PS5 shadow quality and draw distance for shadows / foliage in Quality mode are close to PS4 Pro
- Top of corvega factory has drops to mid 50s on PS5 as well
- 120hz / 40 FPS modes run the game with the same as 30 FPS Quality settings
- This mode did not show drops in the top of the corvega factory area

- If PS5 is set to 1440p on system level, the game renders natively at 1440p with Ultra equivalent settings (same as Quality mode)
- But this mode shows some drops in the corvega factory stress test
How did they fuck this up SO BAD!?

A 1070/6700K PC from 2016 maxed this game out at 40/45 fps at 4K back then, I know because this guy's PC is what I had back then.

kiphalfton

Was going to buy the game on GOG for $10, but then everybody was saying mods were broken by the update...

Maybe one day Bethesda will stop sucking so much.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Getting some mental sky box graphical artifacting on the Series X

Takes me back to my old Nvidias burning out..

ATyFFtO.gif

Had a few straight to dashboards too. Starting to wonder if it was purely shat out to fall inline with the show, or knacker the London mod.

Woody337

Everything indicates that the PS5 version uses the PS4Pro version as a basis for better and worse.

The 1440p 60fps mode also suffers from fps drops in the same areas as the performance mode. That is, PS5 becomes the PS4Pro version at 60fps vs 30fps in that mode.

In the case of XSeries, only XSS users achieve a benefit. XSX users are affected by how they could play before the patch via BC.
It is calamitous that the promised extra game modes are not available on what should be the preferred platform.
The PS5 using the Pro version is something I have been wondering a while. I think you may be on to something that stretches beyond this game

Can't wait for the PS5 pro update in 10 years
Or never.

Bethesda will probably force the interns to fix some of the problems with this update and then call it a day. They need these interns back to their regular duties of fetching coffee.

Starting to wonder if it was purely shat out to fall inline with the show, or knacker the London mod.
It's the former... and they were still two weeks late. I doubt modders were even a thought in their minds.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Interesting to note that even in its currently bugged Performance-only mode, the Xbox versions (even Series S) have higher LoD settings than PS5 in its Quality mode.

3dDaksY.png
Went back and had a look at previous versions.
Xbox Series is using Xbox One (weirdly not One X) settings, PS5 with PS4 Pro settings in this shot.
961Screenshot20240503at.png

f52Screenshot20240503at.png

Darsxx82

The PS5 using the Pro version is something I have been wondering a while. I think you may be on to something that stretches beyond this game

I wouldn't draw many conclusions. It could simply be that they have looked for what is easy when it comes to "updating" a last generation game on the same platform.

That said, they had it easier with XSX (since mods and XBO x BC already existed) and yet they launched it without the game modes that they promised and made the same patch interesting compared to what already existed...😂😂🙃

Dr.Morris79

It's the former... and they were still two weeks late. I doubt modders were even a thought in their minds.
I thought as much. I'll say though, it's drawn me back in. I just hope I don't get the game breaking bug I had previously. All my saves were bugged after 59 hours.

Stafford

I just don't get how such things like the toggle make it through QA. Didn't they up the amount of people solely for QA? Or was that only for Starfield?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just don't get how such things like the toggle make it through QA. Didn't they up the amount of people solely for QA? Or was that only for Starfield?

The thing is, most people using this update are probably going to opt for the 60 FPS mode anyway, so there's no big loss. But the fact that they said all these things will be patched and then didn't is bullshit .

SKYF@ll

The thing is, most people using this update are probably going to opt for the 60 FPS mode anyway, so there's no big loss.
I like the high quality 40fps mode. (I played with Spidey, HFW, etc.)
I downloaded both versions of FO4, so I would like to compare them if I have time.
Bethesda should also give XSX users three options: 30, 40, and 60fps.
dl1aE8i.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I like the high quality 40fps mode. (I played with Spidey, HFW, etc.)
I downloaded both versions of FO4, so I would like to compare them if I have time.
Bethesda should also give XSX users three options: 30, 40, and 60fps.

They should definitely be fixing this on Xbox, but I have a feeling once the Starfield updates are out, no one will talk about FO4's anymore.

LordBritish

add the load accelerator mod if your on pc... works post update, helps with load times a bit

make sure game is on ssd

Methos#1975

I noticed today that the PS5 version in general has more environmental elements in display on performance mode than the XSX version does. They really bonked the game on Xbox.
EtXyxFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom