• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry -- Halo 4 Tech Analysis

This thread isn't stupid at all. It's about the DF report on Halo 4. People in the thread are really acting stupid though. But again, Halo. It makes 360 fans stupid with joy, and Sony fans salty salty salty from envy. Own both consoles. Enjoy it all.

ok, i'll concede that the thread itself isn't stupid, as we always have these df articles about big games, but 4 posts in and you already have people talking in absolutes "halo4 is the best, gow3 and uc3 can't compete!" and you've got a recipe for disaster (and the other way around for sony people). well, that and the fact that df actually says that 360 just reached the same level of ps3 exclusives. and that's the reason we now have this thread.

I'm with you. Boo this people analysing the new technology of one of the year's biggest games. How dare they!

what new technology? fxaa? the lack of ssao? dynamic lighting? because the only thing i'm seeing is people posting gears and ps3 games screenshots.

DocSeuss

Hmm....

201106270949178.jpg

GOW3b.jpg

20110627094558.jpg

20110627095828.jpg

20110627095146.jpg

20110627094527.jpg

20110627094626.jpg

GOW3a.jpg

...yeah. A lot of the assets in those shots are two-dimensional and/or merely texture work (normal mapping and stuff). Lots of those brambles, in particular, are straight-up 2D. It's good texturework, but the end result isn't really graphically impressive so much as it is artistically impressive. The lighting does some neat stuff, though. I've been too spoiled by Crysis and Gears' motion blur to have enjoyed God of War 3's, sadly.

Also, some of that stuff is, I believe, from pre-rendered FMV (Uncharted does this too).

Wow, look at the seam on Kronos' thumb.

This thread isn't stupid at all. It's about the DF report on Halo 4. People in the thread are really acting stupid though. But again, Halo. It makes 360 fans stupid with joy, and Sony fans salty salty salty from envy. Own both consoles. Enjoy it all.

I own both consoles, and I enjoy playing games on them, but I definitely don't enjoy PS3 games for their graphical prowess (and the ultra-linearity of Killzone/Uncharted/God of War leaves me somewhat cold, but at least God of War has superb action combat). It's their art departments that impress me.

I'm more impressed by the insane amount of characters Kameo draws on screen or the stuff that Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts does than most of the PS3's technical achievements. I get that the unrealistic art style makes it appear that they're less technically impressive, but honestly, the technical achievements possible on the 360, to the best of my knowledge, have far outdone anything on the PS3. The PS3's biggest advantage lies in having lots of full, 1080p video that they can transition in and out of gameplay, and the ability to store bigger textures.

I like both my consoles, and I'm perfectly fine with the 360 having the better graphics processing capabilities, just as I'm fine with Sony having a tendency to pay more attention to art design.

nib95

Banned
The mech screens on KZ3 (?), I can't see any shadows?

The shadows are there...

Also, some of that stuff is, I believe, from pre-rendered FMV (Uncharted does this to).

None of the screens are pre-rendered. All gameplay and one is real time (transitions straight to gameplay, no pauses or breaks).

Fact that people believe it isn't real time or gameplay, I think says it all.

Reiko

Banned
...yeah. A lot of the assets in those shots are two-dimensional and/or merely texture work (normal mapping and stuff). Lots of those brambles, in particular, are straight-up 2D. It's good texturework, but the end result isn't really graphically impressive so much as it is artistically impressive.

Also, some of that stuff is, I believe, from pre-rendered FMV (Uncharted does this to).

Wow, look at the seam on Kronos' thumb.

Nah all of that is realtime.

DocSeuss

The enemy took up the entire screen and you still cant see it?

I just find it funny you think those are fmv. they are all taken from gameplay sequences.

Quite frequently, God of War takes camera/movement control away from the player. During those sequences, the game is actually just streaming prerendered video, and the player is not doing anything. The first two pictures appear to be from those sequences. It's been a year or two since I've played the game, but yeah, they happen a LOT.

I remember reading somewhere that about 30 gigs of God of War 3's disc is taken up with FMV, with the game assets being closer to like... six gigs or so.

I find it silly that the only replies to my comment above were focusing on that one bit, though, since I also talked about how many of those assets were actually 2D, or how a lot of that is simple (but great) texture work.

It's okay for a game to look pretty and not be graphically impressive. You guys know that, right?

lvclix

Banned
So it seems after reading this thread in it's entirety that the general consensus is that while Donkey Kong is the more popular game, Popeye is the superior platformer?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Quite frequently, God of War takes camera/movement control away from the player. During those sequences, the game is actually just streaming prerendered video, and the player is not doing anything. The first two pictures appear to be from those sequences. It's been a year or two since I've played the game, but yeah, they happen a LOT.

I remember reading somewhere that about 30 gigs of God of War 3's disc is taken up with FMV, with the game assets being closer to like... six gigs or so.

Lol. There are fmv sequences in god of war. That is not one of them.

nib95

Banned

Of all of those shots I posted, only one, the second, does that, but is real time and transitions straight to gameplay. None of the examples I posted are FMV. The first shot is actually direct gameplay. Kratos is standing there (the small spec near the middle). The idea is to move around and dodge Poseidon's attacks.

Conor 419

Banned
People are forgetting about what makes Halo standout

- Superior artstyle
- Best AI in the industry
- Sandbox combat

A good artstyle triumphs graphical prowess, Xenoblade imo looks better than any Killzone game.

Reiko

Banned
God of War is very easy to achieve great graphics despite the talent.

Just look at Castlevania: LOS. Right out of the gate with very impressive graphics and scale. The only cons are the cinematic framerate and no AA.

Shame Dante's Inferno couldn't be up to par graphically.

nib95

Banned
People are forgetting about what makes Halo standout

- Superior artstyle
- Best AI in the industry
- Sandbox combat

A good artstyle triumphs graphical prowess, Xenoblade imo looks better than any Killzone game.

I personally think Halo 4 has borrowed much of it's style from Killzone and Battlefield, and is actually less Halo like in style and look than previous Halo's, but imo that's a good thing. I also feel Killzone 2/3 has the best AI in the business when it comes to shooters. Halo and FEAR are certainly up there though.

Can't argue with Sandbox, that's what makes Halo, Halo. Hopefully Halo 4 still retains some of that.

Conor 419

Banned
Killzone has not got better AI than Halo, neither has Halo 4 borrowed its unique artstyle from Killzone.

This is indisputable, do not quote this post.

Just look at Castlevania: LOS. Right out of the gate with very impressive graphics and scale. The only cons are the cinematic framerate and no AA.

Very easy is taking things a bit far, surely?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

You are insane. Castlevania had none of the scale of god of war, and runs at nearly half the framerate. God of war runs at around 45fps, castlevania is about 25. God of war also had almost perfect image quality, and castlevania is a jagged mess. If this is the kind of consensus I can expect in this thread, I'm out.

nib95

Banned
Killzone has not got better AI than Halo, neither has Halo 4 borrowed its unique artstyle from Killzone.

This is indisputable, do not quote this post.

Lol, opinions.

The lens flare, lighting, number of light sources, post processing, effects etc. Certainly looks closer to the BF3/KZ esque aesthetic than past incarnations of the franchise.

Reiko

Banned
Very easy is taking things a bit far, surely?

One pushes incredible graphics and scale with a cinematic framerate. (Castlevania: LOS)

The other (Dante's Inferno) pushes good graphics at 60fps.

Seems like the games with a God of War camera system are easier to achieve good graphics on console.

You are insane. Castlevania had none of the scale of god of war, and runs at nearly half the framerate. God of war runs at around 45fps, castlevania is about 25. God of war also had almost perfect image quality, and castlevania is a jagged mess. If this is the kind of consensus I can expect in this thread, I'm out.

None of the scale of God of War? Are you insane?

Take off your fanboy googles. We must have played a different game.

tumblr_l8vmbqssm21qzl5wao2.jpg

abadguy

Banned
This game can't get enough praise. Best console shooter of gen, and trully one of the best looking games in both consoles.

343i have crafted a trully masterpiece.

It's too bad some refuse to give credit where its due while others post as if they are downright insulted at the thought of a 360 game being called one of the best looking games this gen.

NBtoaster

One thing they do gloss over is that while cutscenes are gorgeous, they are rendering at a lower res than Halo 3 thanks to the enormous black bars (that they cut out of the screenshots).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

No, this is not entirely true. For example, there isn't a single instance of pre-rendered cutscene in Digital Foundry's framerate analysis, within which there are a few moments where player control is taken away.

You're remembering incorrectly.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
None of the scale of God of War? Are you insane?

Take off your fanboy googles. We must have played a different game.

Indeed, we must have. The size of that arm in that pic you posted is the size of the pinky of Gaia in god of war.

DocSeuss

Of all of those shots I posted, only one, the second, does that, but is real time and transitions straight to gameplay. None of the examples I posted are FMV. The first shot is actually direct gameplay. Kratos is standing there (the small spec near the middle). The idea is to move around and dodge Poseidon's attacks.

Hey, I am working off fuzzy memory here. None of these are really impressive enough for me to say "aww, they couldn't have done that in gameplay!" which is how some people think I'm acting. I honestly find these screens largely underwhelming.

There are bits of Halo 4 (that forest screenshot where the background is entirely a 2D painting, apparently) that I also find unimpressive.

I just think it's weird that people feel that God of War 3 NEEDS to be the graphical king. It wasn't even the best-looking game the year it came out. Metro 2033 was, and other games, like Bad Company 2 and Alan Wake, were doing some amazingly impressive stuff as well.

I personally think Halo 4 has borrowed much of it's style from Killzone and Battlefield, and is actually less Halo like in style and look than previous Halo's, but imo that's a good thing. I also feel Killzone 2/3 has the best AI in the business when it comes to shooters. Halo and FEAR are certainly up there though.

Can't argue with Sandbox, that's what makes Halo, Halo. Hopefully Halo 4 still retains some of that.

What. Halo 4 borrows more from Metroid Prime than Killzone or Battlefield.

You may feel that way about Killzone's AI, but what I know about AI (and I'll be the first to admit, I don't know a LOT about AI, but it's an area I've been learning about for the past year or so) makes me want to disagree with you quite vehemently. Halo's breadth and depth of AI (and how it scales across difficulty levels) makes even some of my favorite shooters look downright incompetent. It's only really topped by FEAR and STALKER, which both use similar GOAP AI systems. Some of the stuff--like the way grunts distract the player when an Elite's shields are down--is downright brilliant.

The most impressive thing Killzone's AI ever did to me was flank. Even Black Mesa's AI did that, and it's just a mod.

Halo 4's AI does retain the sandbox, but the difficulty level seems borked. Not having nearly as much fun on Heroic as I normally do. Snipers take out a ton of health right away, so going into an encounter without knowing that a sniper is present tends to result in death when you take on a gaggle of guys, the sniper takes out 80% of your health, and then someone hits you with a plasma pistol.

No, this is not entirely true. For example, there isn't a single instance of pre-rendered cutscene in Digital Foundry's framerate analysis, within which there are a few moments where player control is taken away.

You're remembering incorrectly.

It's entirely possible that I am misremembering things. My health hasn't been great this year, and the past several days have been no exception.

nib95

Banned
Hey, I am working off fuzzy memory here. None of these are really impressive enough for me to say "aww, they couldn't have done that in gameplay!" which is how some people think I'm acting. I honestly find these screens largely underwhelming.

There are bits of Halo 4 (that forest screenshot where the background is entirely a 2D painting, apparently) that I also find unimpressive.

I just think it's weird that people feel that God of War 3 NEEDS to be the graphical king. It wasn't even the best-looking game the year it came out. Metro 2033 was, and other games, like Bad Company 2 and Alan Wake, were doing some amazingly impressive stuff as well.

Lol. Some people it seems are trying very hard in this thread. Nvm...

I find it silly that the only replies to my comment above were focusing on that one bit, though, since I also talked about how many of those assets were actually 2D, or how a lot of that is simple (but great) texture work.

It's okay for a game to look pretty and not be graphically impressive. You guys know that, right?

You are very very wrong. All that is real time, also, some good reading for you:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1396612&postcount=17
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1397979&postcount=29

And those screens are ruined by jpeg compression tbh.

JaseC

In the case of Alan Wake, I'd argue that its pitiful internal rendering resolution (960x540, or almost half the resolution of 720p) undermines Remedy's otherwise largely great work.

LoL no.

Halo art style:

Game:

It did it. And it looks great.

Reiko

Banned
Indeed, we must have. The size of that arm in that pic you posted is the size of the pinky of Gaia in god of war.

Regardless of the fact of Gaia and Chronos being bigger than that Boss.

The scale of Castlevania bosses are HUGE. Especially the last mid boss which is a stage in itself.

And if you want to count your video game Epeen... The last boss of Bayonetta trumps Gaia and Chronos. She's bigger than the Earth.

By the fluctuation framerate of the cutscenes, you can tell than they are not pre rendered (GOWIII).

Regardless, I can't beleive people are dissection games this much.

abadguy

Banned

I'm not really seeing where Halo 4 borrowed much of its style from Killzone which "borrowed" its style , in particular theHelghast which were clearly "inspired" by the Kerberos/ Wolf Brigade. Halo 4 borrowed much of its look from Metroid Prime from what i've played.

DocSeuss

In the case of Alan Wake, I'd argue that its pitiful internal rendering resolution (960x540, or almost half the resolution of 720p) undermines Remedy's otherwise largely great work.

I'd agree, but the fact that they were tossing on volumetric+dynamic lighting and rendering stuff miles away that the player couldn't even see is pretty impressive. Frankly, if they'd tuned the game to save processing power rendering only stuff the player could see (speaking from a really simplistic point of view, mind), I think they could have hit 540p.

That said, it's my understanding that the PC version does all this in stride. Bring on the next gen consoles. And, now that it's 7:00, I'm going to go home and continue pretending that I'm not running a temperature.

JaseC

I'd agree, but the fact that they were tossing on volumetric+dynamic lighting and rendering stuff miles away that the player couldn't even see is pretty impressive. Frankly, if they'd tuned the game to save processing power rendering only stuff the player could see (speaking from a really simplistic point of view, mind), I think they could have hit 540p.

Certainly.

That says, it's my understanding that the PC version does all this in stride.

Indeed, it's a fantastic port.

DodgerSan

Given the much improved faces, and that Lasky is presumably modelled on someone, why couldn't they model it on the actor that pays older Lasky in the live action stuff? It literally looks nothing like the guy.

DocSeuss

Wow. Imagine being smashed down so eloquently by an actual game designer. Ouch

It only hurts if you're arrogant enough to believe your position to be entirely unassailable. If my understanding of the facts is incorrect, I have no issues admitting as much. The links, which I'll be reading when I get home, from a cursory glance, look like they've got things to teach me.

I'm not hurt. I'm excited.

nib95

Banned
You may feel that way about Killzone's AI, but what I know about AI (and I'll be the first to admit, I don't know a LOT about AI, but it's an area I've been learning about for the past year or so) makes me want to disagree with you quite vehemently. Halo's breadth and depth of AI (and how it scales across difficulty levels) makes even some of my favorite shooters look downright incompetent. It's only really topped by FEAR and STALKER, which both use similar GOAP AI systems. Some of the stuff--like the way grunts distract the player when an Elite's shields are down--is downright brilliant.

The most impressive thing Killzone's AI ever did to me was flank. Even Black Mesa's AI did that, and it's just a mod.

Starting to wonder if you've actually played KZ2/3 or GOW3...

KZ's AI has...

- Procedural dynamic tactics
- Position picking
- Position evaluation (based on squad location, enemy fire, damage taken, destruction to cover etc)
- Tactical path finding
- Suppressive fire
- Understanding of environmental dynamics
- Flanking, squad tactics, cover system, hiding capabilities, retreating, spreading out or combing efforts, over head or around the corner shooting (whilst behind cover and taking suppressing fire), crawling etc

They're fully dynamic and highly intelligent. They also adapt to the environment and carry out more actions and manoeuvres than the AI in Halo. Running away or flanking these days is the bare basics. But yea, Halo and FEAR are still my other top picks.

It only hurts if you're arrogant enough to believe your position to be entirely unassailable. If my understanding of the facts is incorrect, I have no issues admitting as much. The links, which I'll be reading when I get home, from a cursory glance, look like they've got things to teach me.

I'm not hurt. I'm excited.

I meant the guy in the links, not you :p

The guy in the linked thread seems to have been arguing with the man I believe was the chief designer behind GoW3

JJD

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I couldn't even really notice Alan Wake lower resolution when I played it. And I used to play on a top of line 65 inch Pana plasma.

Loved the game, it was the first 360 game IMO to stand up graphically to the PS3 exclusives. And when I say graphically I mean both tech and art direction.

I never liked Halo very much but those screens look very, very good. I should give it another chance. Last Halo game I played was 3 for about 5 hours.

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I couldn't even really notice Alan Wake lower resolution when I played it. And I used to play on a top of line 65 inch Pana plasma.

Loved the game, it was the first 360 game IMO to stand up graphically to the PS3 exclusives. And when I say graphically I mean both tech and art direction.

I never liked Halo very much but those screens look very, very good. I should give it another chance. Last Halo game I played was 3 for about 5 hours.

How is that even possible? AW was a blurry mess on 360, it looked good, but the IQ was incredible bad. I can't even imagine on a 65 inch plasma, were you sitting 20m from the TV?

I'm glad I grabbed the PC version, looks really good.

Moegames

Banned
Yeah right how did it take this long to finally get Halo in 720p to match games that came out years ago? The game looks great but the comments in this thread so far are amazing and seem to ignore the fact that it's taken this long for MS to finally deliver a top tier 1st party game technically.

I know Halo just launched so enthusiasm is at a high but please - read the article and note the comments like this:

"Remember that feeling you had when playing the first 20 minutes of God of War 3 for the first time? The sensation that the developers had somehow extracted next-gen visuals from current gen hardware? While Halo 4 doesn't quite engender that feeling of hushed awe, it gets very, very close"

"In an era where the likes of Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica have defined the graphical state-of-the-art with Uncharted and God of War, Xbox 360 finally has its own shot at the title - and it's a genuinely worthwhile, lavish and occasionally even breathtaking experience"

I'm a happy dual console owner but there's no doubt that until the release of Halo 4 the 360 was lacking a title that was optimized to the hilt and pushed the hardware - the PS3 meanwhile sporting many such titles.

It's great 343i have done such a great job, but put it in perspective - this is MS first party catching up not automatically outperforming.

Yeah i agree...one thing that really REALLY bugged me was that Microsoft did very little to push in-house, 2nd party developers to tap the power of the 360. The 360 when it came out had a heck of a GPU that was capable of some VERY stunning visual effects and the gpu chip was custom built loaded with all sorts of things to help create stunning looking games..but very few developers really took advantage of that..unlike Sony's in-house dev's and 2nd party dev's.... PS3 had a lot more exclusive titles that were meant to show off the power of the PS3 and it is why we see the PS3 having more impressive looking exclusive games than the 360. I dont count Gears of War because that engine was really meant to be a multi-platform engine...so i never really counted Gears as a game that was there to show off the power of 360.

...So what else was/is there for 360 that pushes the envelope in terms of what its hardware can do? Forza? The last two Forza games on 360 looked pretty bad imho... i just couldnt accept its graphics for some reason..they didnt seem right, they looked odd to me...but Forza 4 on the other hand is ANOTHER RECENT GAME that really seems to push the 360 hardware like Halo 4 does...Forza 4 and Horizon to me is the best looking racing games this generation and yes even better looking than PS3's baby (GT5) ..although i really love both Forza 4 and GT5 ..just want to mention that not to start a war here..but other than that..what else was out there exclusively for xbox 360 that really pushed its hardware?

I dont know guys...but its one thing that bummed me out this generation because i was hoping to see Microsoft push for more in-house developers to develop some bad ass exclusive games that truly took full advantage of its custom hardware inside the 360....but it never really happened.

The sole reason why i even bought a PS3 was for its exclusive titles ...everything else that is multi platform is played on my 360 or PC. It seems Sony is good at making sure their in-house/2nd party developers push the PS3 hardware to its limits or as much as that specific set of developers talent can..some of it has to do with how much talent these dev's have..i know that but the xbox 360 was more than capable of doing much better than what Microsoft's in-house/2nd party dev's were able to pull off....very disappointing to me.

Owell..lets see how the reaction Halo 4 received for its stunning visuals will finally wake up Microsoft and make them understand that having their in-house and 2nd party developers push their consoles hardware to the limits is important. Halo 4 to me ..just like many others in this thread is the best looking game on current consoles this gen..if not the best looking ..very close to the best of PS3's top looking exclusives...Halo 4's visuals really helped make it fun to play...it really put new life into the series too..believe or not..at least thats how i feel because i was getting to the point that i could no longer really sit down and enjoy past recent halo games because the graphics just made the game feel like the last one and the one before it...sorta like how Gears of War makes me feel now or how like COD makes me feel now...i dont care what anyone says...making sure the graphics look good is important...VERY important imho

charsace

KZ's AI has...

- Position picking
- Position evaluation (based on squad location, enemy fire, damage taken, destruction to cover etc)
- Tactical path finding
- Suppressive fire
- Flanking, squad tactics, cover system, hiding capabilities, retreating, spreading out or combing efforts, over head or around the corner shooting (whilst behind cover and taking suppressing fire), crawling etc

They're fully dynamic and highly intelligent. They also adapt to the environment and carry out more actions and manoeuvres than the AI in Halo. Running away or flanking these days is the bare basics. But yea, Halo and FEAR are still my other top picks.

A lot of what you listed the Halo AI does.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely one of the best looking games at the moment. I was shocked.

nib95

Banned
A lot of what you listed the Halo AI does.

Not disagreeing with that, at all. But as I mentioned in my post, KZ's AI considers more variables and has the ability to carry out more actions (namely based around the cover and environmental (destruction) system).

Halcyon

I don't have a 360 but I've been watching a lot of YouTube playthroughs and I'm not as blown away as the rest of you guys. I've never really understood the love of halo. The large open areas seem kinda dull.

It really reminds me of a less interesting metroid prime.

That being said the graphics do look good. I'm just not that big a fan of the art style.

KZ's AI has...

- Position picking
- Tactical path finding
- Suppressive fire

You forgot the best part, rolling to avoid getting hit with a grenade in the face.

Top Bottom