• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

Pretty much almost exact to what's going on.

*shrugs*

Not everyone was super impressed by the game. I thought it was a good looking game beat out by games like ROTR and even Ryse to a degree.

Edit: Top of the page. Hmm.. Not impressed by the faccial animation either. Posting so I can cite back if need be.

Alienfan

Alan Wake had sub-par resolution on Xbox 360 without much going on.

I respectfully disagree, Alan Wake had some of the best lighting for a 360 at the time of release and even to this day - exceptional particle effects too. Tbh I didn't even know it ran at a sub 720p until today.

Really? Im more impressed with Ryse and Uncharted 4 single player

Uncharted 4 isn't out yet. Ryse is subjectively better looking than its specs would imply.
The specs are still an objective metric.

Subjectively, I liked Second Son and Arkham City.
Watch_dogs didn't really do anything for me.

SRTtoZ

That's not true at all. Look at any of the latest preview threads. A lot of us have noticed the visuals not looking as impressive as they used too

First thing I noticed when they had that stream the other day on Twitch. So I'm assuming the earliest videos were on PC or a "PC with XB1 specs" because it definitely doesn't look nearly as good as it did when it was first shown. I won't lie, I'm a bit disappointed that an XB1 exclusive in 2016 is going to be 720p/30fps that has drops/tearing. All I can hope for is the game runs better on my 680gtx with the crossbuy :/

And people are saying how they don't want to upgrade current gen consoles. The ugly fact is Xbox One has a low end GPU and CPU in it by today's standards, and it's a miracle it can run a game as pretty as QB on it. I would absolutely hate it if this is what we can expect for another 5 years. If you want better, you'll have to accept you need a more powerful and more expensive console, or become part of the PC master race and sacrifice your wallet to Intel/AMD/Nvidia and all the other component manufacturers.

Hawk269

Regardless of resolution, game just finished downloading and am ready to go for release. I have seen a lot of videos of this game and it looked good, so even if it is 720p, I still think it is going to be a great game. I will do a replay of it on my high end gaming rig as well. It is still the same game I been wanting since they first showed it, so I am still looking forward to it even at 720p.

etta

my hard graphic balls
What the hell are you talking about ? Fuck out my face with that console war bullshit. Loser.

CPREs8cWgAAdmvg.jpg

4K performance is gonna be a nightmare.

I was thinking 1080p. I don't expect this game to run well on PC even on lower resolutions

That 480x270 (1/16th scale) GIF is being extremely kind to the low shadow resolution.

QBshadows.gif

That's a native res crop with no extra scaling if you drag to desktop and preview 1:1.

The video doesn't demonstrate it very clearly because there's a time shift effect playing at the same time but shadow draw distance is also extremely low.

Was watching Giant Bomb's footage of the Xbox one version and there was weird draw in happening every now and then that was really weird and distracting. after a while i figured it was some kind of effect they were using but it's probably just stuff being drawn in.

The heavy emphasis on special effects had to come at a price. Still, 720P from a first party studio, yikes.

Remedy isn't a Microsoft 1st party studio they are essentially what people call 2nd party as they have a relationship with Microsoft that is similar to Quantic Dream and Sony.

That 480x270 (1/16th scale) GIF is being extremely kind to the low shadow resolution.

QBshadows.gif

That's a native res crop with no extra scaling if you drag to desktop and preview 1:1.

The video doesn't demonstrate it very clearly because there's a time shift effect playing at the same time but shadow draw distance is also extremely low.

This almost looks no better than say Max Payne 3.

And not saying the whole game looks like that, but it's pretty jarring.

Malcolm9

And people are saying how they don't want to upgrade current gen consoles. The ugly fact is Xbox One has a low end GPU and CPU in it by today's standards, and it's a miracle it can run a game as pretty as QB on it. I would absolutely hate it if this is what we can expect for another 5 years. If you want better, you'll have to accept you need a more powerful and more expensive console, or become part of the PC master race and sacrifice your wallet to Intel/AMD/Nvidia and all the other component manufacturers.

Maybe the developers could make the game with the Xbox One specs in mind. If they are having to reduce resolution etc surely they are being way too ambitious.

If they had to sacrifice some resolution to keep their vision of the game, so be it. It still looks purdy. I dont know why they thought they would hit 1080 if they had to drop it to 720 tho.

Yeh the shadow effects look low quality. Hopefully just a sign of the hardware and it can be bumped up on pc.

So close. Can not wait to play this myself.

I respectfully disagree, Alan Wake had some of the best lighting for a 360 at the time of release and even to this day - exceptional particle effects too. Tbh I didn't even know it ran at a sub 720p until today.
The game ran with 4xMSAA which was great at masking jaggies and all that.

Haint

You either need vision correction (not a joke, seriously get checked), or sit WAY too far from too SMALL a TV. Alan Wake 360 looked like a Standard Definition game. I mean you can appreciate the lighting, particles and other effects that slathered on, but the game was objectively blurry as fuck.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Does that mean IQ similar to Siege as well when in motion?

Because Siege might be 1080p on PS4 but I'm absolutely not a fan of its IQ. Just.. all kinds of yuck.
It's a lot like that (though softer), from what I can tell. I haven't looked close enough to say for sure but it definitely reminds me of Siege.

And how long are you going to spend staring, or even caring, about that?

I am sure there will be a superb OT where you can explain everyone why the game itself is great - despite all its flaws and what reviewers might think about it. But right here in a DF thread this really gets annoying. This is a fucking tech thread and where else would anyone spend time on staring on the technical aspects of the game?! It's the fucking reason d'etre for this thread.

The game looks nice, we all agree on that, but it definitly doesn't look nice enough for 720p/<30 from a 1st party studio game more than 2 years after the console's launch. And those shadows are just a prominent example for that.

GHG

Well it is what it is. Don't play it then.

The original post in that exchange was that it's odd so many people are saying that because the Xbone version is 720p, they are now going to play on PC. I wondered why someone with a capable PC wouldn't automatically play it there given its guaranteed to be the better version. You're just bitching about both versions so you're probably better off just not bothering with Quantum Break at all.

It's hardly bitching to say that if a game is 720p and can't even hold 30fps it's not good enough is it? Nor is it bitching if the PC version remains locked at the currently documented resolution and framerate. These are legitimate causes for concern.

But hey, I'm not the one that brought up The Order as an example of an inferior game despite being better from a technical standpoint whilst completely ignoring the fact that Quantum Break's current technical shortcomings will have a direct impact on the playability of the title.

cripterion

Not surprised after Alan Wake was one of the lowest res games on 360.

It is a surprise to me. With all the talk of harnessing the console power, dx12 sauce etc... I never imagined we would have another game coming in 2016 at that resolution. I'm personally to used to play at 1440p to go back and play a 720p game on a current console. Smoothness could make up for it but it's 30fps too.

Hopefully the pc version delivers but I'm highly skeptical because of the Windows 10 app thing.

Hesemonni

Banned
Wait... they said the game would be 1080p and the game is actually 720p?

Errr... is that okay to do?
Well obviously no and I fear it has bit Remedy in the ass a little bit already.

I'm surprised that Remedy didn't come out straight away and tweet, or explain, a little bit about the technical side of things to set things straight. Nothing too deep, just the basic so people could concentrate on the game instead of resolution metrics.

It is a surprise to me. With all the talk of harnessing the console power, dx12 sauce etc... I never imagined we would have another game coming in 2016 at that resolution. I'm personally to used to play at 1440p to go back and play a 720p game on a current console. Smoothness could make up for it but it's 30fps too.

Hopefully the pc version delivers but I'm highly skeptical because of the Windows 10 app thing.

Well, it just means a dev's technical proficiency/ability to squeeze hardware dry matters more than hardware power.

How long did people refuse to believe that Battlefront could look as good as it did on consoles?

holygeesus

Banned
I can sorta agree with the people that say 'resolution isn't that important' but framerate drops massively intrude on the gaming experience, in my opinion. Maybe rethink your game, if you can't even get it running consistently at a lesser HD resolution?

vcc

They seem to be doing a lot of prioritization on things people will notice most. The games faces are impressive but the bodies and animation look mid last gen (hands look really bad to me in many scenes).They have some sort of dynamic resolution going on and many things rendering lower and composites on.

Like last gen you probably won't notice while playing if this game is your type of thing. Just janky bits here and there.

holygeesus

Banned
I notice the original article has been updated, in regard the PC version

But let's not forget that there's also a PC version in development too. We didn't have time to sample this at the press event, but Remedy were pretty open on the state of the build at that time. Limited to 1080p at 30fps, it still required plenty of work before launch. The developer is promising a maximum 4K experience, but it remains to be seen exactly how this will pan out, or exactly what kind of hardware will be required to make this happen [UPDATE 20/3/16 07:35am: We previously said that Remedy promised 4K at 60fps - this is an error, the developer has only confirmed 4K support and made no comment about performance at this resolution]. Confidence in the Windows App Store and the Universal Windows Platform here at Digital Foundry isn't exactly high right now, as we continue to struggle with Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on PC - fingers crossed that Remedy's PC work delivers a much more polished, optimised product.

So, we could end up with a PC version locked to 30fps too, and no way to mod out said frame-lock. That's.......not good.

emrober5

Yikes.

I'm still getting it, because I think it is going to be a great game, but that's rough.

Hopefully it runs better on my PC

leeh

I've pre-ordered this, and I'm very disappointed its 720p especially after that presentation said 1080p. Not happy.

Will buy if for the PC, the X1 has shown many times over that it simply requires too many compromises to get games running at acceptable / near acceptable performance.

It by no means is an awful looking game on the X1 and for most on that platform there will be no loss in enjoyment.

Top Bottom