• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Let's Play Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch

I think this game is similar to No Man's Sky in that environments look their best when plenty of grass is present, to hide the mediocre-to-ugly ground textures (though NMS improved on this in the Foundation update). It is easy in both games to find shots that don't look great, but it's not wholly representative of the game.

I will say though that more recent footage looks washed out, even close up. The grass seems to have lost some of its saturation. I'm not sure if this is a time-of-day thing, an aesthetic choice, or a technical one.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Odd that
32240452086_3a926d93df_h.jpg
looks better than pretty much any other shot of the distant stuff.

I think it's because time of day, the light makes it looks so blown out and flat, when lighting is like this it looks much better because there's some actual contrast.

Rncewind

Like i said, it's because the footage is offscreen. Anyway none of the material you're seeing looks exactly like the game will on your tv, for better or worse.

Not official, it was posted by a gaffer that has access to DF uncompressed material. It's not going to look like that on your TV, as it's 900p footage blown out on a 1080p jpeg.

More importantly you probably don't watch a big screen from the same distance you watch your PC monitor. Still not the most flattering shot he could've picked, that bit certainly isn't the best looking part of the game (nor are the two other shots).

Yeah, i noticed. People also seem to believe that the Switch is weaker than it actually is.

This is also true.

EDIT: oohhh, finally direct feed non blown up shots.

yeah that one you quoted looks alright

Caelus

Looking closely at those screenshots, I think they are definitely of the actual game, there's still some aliasing and texture issues - most noticeably on that beach photo - but overall the colors and contrast are good and much better than the YouTube compressed stuff we've seen.

Although it does seem like they've implemented AA.

I'm sure it'll be a good game but yeah, if any other game not called Zelda would have those environments and image quality everyone would agree that the game is not good looking.

Nah, I think it'd receive the same type of critique, that it's not a technical masterpiece but the object and character design are splendid.

Chaos17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktFlmH_0CI

Nintendo Switch
-720p and locked 30fps in handheld mode
-900p and 30fps when docked
-Texture filtering is poor
-Frame-rate drops typically seem to happen when there's depth of field on screen
-Lowest recorded frame-rate is 20fps.

The game looks prettier than the E3 build of Wii U o.o'
Also the testeur IS reserved about the true beauty of the game because he felt the tv he played was not calibrate nicely and I've too agree.
I've seen many different screenshot and on some the colors were more vibrant/colorfull on the E3 build.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

Rodin

Looking closely at those screenshots, I think they are definitely of the actual game, there's still some aliasing and texture issues - most noticeably on that beach photo - but overall the colors and contrast are good and much better than the YouTube compressed stuff we've seen.

Although it does seem like they've implemented AA.
900p+AA, like i've been saying in every thread after durante pixel counted a pic for me yesterday.

This is what the game will look like on TV (yes it will be upscaled, but you'll also be at the correct viewing distance), not the footage from jimmy fallon, from the Nintendo fucked up capture card or the blown up shots from that other user.

Wow, that is a big difference!! This thread may quickly die off now. ;)

Hahaha maybe, i'm certainly done here anyway ;)

But those are Curated or are cutscenes (which not too useful for gameplay despite the direction being generally very good), they're not accurate of what the player is likely to see most of the time and thus are not a good benchmark of measuring average visual fidelity.

Zelda is a generation behind graphically, this is an objective fact. Anyone can hold it against the game if they want to but it's really a waste of time.

Most of what's impressive to me about the game is simply that its gameplay and substantial array of interlocking systems is easily the game's selling point and is probably among the most system driven of non 4X/Sim games I've seen since the original Deus Ex.

The blown up screen that keeps being quoted is from a cutscene, and so is the famous bullshot from E3 2014. The one with Link looking down the cliff is from when you exit the shrine of resurrection, the transition from that to actual gameplay is seamless and there are also gameplay screens from battles. Seriously, the downplay can end now.

Like i said, it's because the footage is offscreen. Anyway none of the material you're seeing looks exactly like the game will on your tv, for better or worse.

Not official, it was posted by a gaffer that has access to DF uncompressed material. It's not going to look like that on your TV, as it's 900p footage blown out on a 1080p jpeg.

More importantly you probably don't watch a big screen from the same distance you watch your PC monitor. Still not the most flattering shot he could've picked, that bit certainly isn't the best looking part of the game (nor are the two other shots).

Yeah, i noticed. People also seem to believe that the Switch is weaker than it actually is.

This is also true.

EDIT: oohhh, finally direct feed non blown up shots.

Wow, that is a big difference!! This thread may quickly die off now. ;)

You know guys we have real screenshots of Zelda Switch, instead of youtube screencaps

I honestly can't tell that it looks bad in any way. It's a gorgeous game.

But those are Curated or are cutscenes (which not too useful for gameplay despite the direction being generally very good), they're not accurate of what the player is likely to see most of the time and thus are not a good benchmark of measuring average visual fidelity.

Zelda is a generation behind graphically, this is an objective fact. Anyone can hold it against the game if they want to but it's really a waste of time.

Most of what's impressive to me about the game is simply that its gameplay and substantial array of interlocking systems is easily the game's selling point and is probably among the most system driven of non 4X/Sim games I've seen since the original Deus Ex.

LordKano

All of that is in-game footage. There's nothing modified for the cutscenes or all. There are even some battle gameplay there.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So much dead space in certain sections. There's going to be a lot of traversal with little happening in-between isn't there?

It's like I'm looking at a land version of Wind Waker.

Dead space is fine as long as content filled sections are not too far and few between and feature actual engaging content. Dead space can help to build a sense of scale and richness to the world. The Witcher 3 did a rather good job of this.

Otherwise you get Ubisoft style open world crap like this:
Assassins-Creed-Unity_map-missions-collectibles.jpg

"Content" rich isn't always a good thing.

Elman

I would agree if nintendos speaking and actions would not suggest this is a 90 % Wiiu replacement and not a 3ds and wiiu replacement.

I mean people going ape shit because of the SMT trailer (where we dont if its V btw.) with no release date meanwhile a new SMT game is annouced for the 3ds with no switch version

at this point of time it seems like a wii u + to me, a homeconsole that you can use as a handheld, only in more advanced then wiiu.

I agree with you - Nintendo needs to tread carefully if they advertise the Switch as a Wii U replacement (or a current-gen competitor) while simultaneously pushing the 3DS as THE dedicated handheld to buy.

It seems to me like they'll have a harder time with "core gamers" in this regard. For the larger casual/mainstream market, they might be better off with a "the next big thing from Nintendo" approach. It's not like that market has any idea what a Wii U is.

trixx

This is probably the most fair analysis on both Zelda and the Switch platoform. Great video once again by the guys at digital foundry.

I'm not sold on switch and I don't think I will have issues with the Wii U version.

Plum

So I just did a very unscientific "what it will look like when I actually play it" test (sitting about 5-6 feet away on my 32 inch 1080p TV) and even the worst-looking DF screenshot looks perfectly OK, not great but just OK. It definitely won't look as terrible most here seem to imply, but it won't amaze either.

Dead space is fine as long as content filled sections are not too far and few between and feature actual engaging content. Dead space can help to build a sense of scale and richness to the world. The Witcher 3 did a rather good job of this.

The quantity and density of content is not the problem, dense content is great. The problem is that content in Ubisoft games doesn't really lead to interesting gameplay all too often and eventually devolve into filling out checklists instead of engaging with the world. Which is why Ubi games are too much of content delivery systems I feel. But there are exceptions, I recall a series of Murder Mysteries that were pretty neat in Unity, and the Seaside Shanties were great collectibles in AC4 as well as the gang hideouts in Watch Dogs.

I'm just glad that Zelda is taking a no nonsense approach to quest markers most of the time. You want a marker on the map, you put that stuff on it yourself.

Deadstar

900p in 2017. What a joke. Still buying the system but disappointed in Nintendo. I would have gladly paid an extra $100 for better graphics.

Takat

That first reveal trailer is clearly from a different place. Mostly notably the pine trees which are almost non existent in the platou segment.

I do wish the textures would have been cleaner, much like RiME looks, but it's a huge open world game, and it seems there's a lot of content in there. I just hope we get more than just fight stuff and eat stuff. It does seem a little empty.

Also, when you prepare a demo for a reveal it could be a few months old. The game is out in two months, I don't think it'll drastically change, but it may improve a bit. Especially if Nintendo is still aiming for 1080P. Also, It is a port, and it running better. I am hopeful to see what will be the case when it's games from the ground up (parts of SMO looked great, some not).

Coffinhal

Yes, dépends on the game. it needs to be connected with the game's inner narrative system. That's why Mad Max needed less open world content and MGS V did the right thing by having so few (it being an anti-colonialist game in an hostile almost uncharted territory where you're alone and get lost). It's kind of the same type of narrative with Zelda.

It also works well in GTA V when you see the gap between the city and the countryside

Ubisoft uses it in dense urban environnments and most of the stuff is optionnal and doesn't get in the way the player's experience, so you're not fair with the map (but I know gaf LOVES Ubisoft bashing so)

Witcher 3 and this game in two incomparable categories.

Or you could trim the extra needless fat and keep only the space you need.Like SoulsBorne games.

It works in SoulsBorne because of the GAME DESIGN and the NARRATIVE. It makes no sense to use it as a rule for every open world game while no taking into account this key elements of a game's identity.

It's like you would use only one lens and type of lighting for a western movie and wouldn't accept new or alternative forms of cinematography for that genre. Nonsense (once again from the "Soulsborne cult")

JaseMath

I wish I could see this epic Zelda game in a powerful hardware... well maybe in 6-7 years
If BotW existed in in its current state in 2010, would you have been wowed?

In 6-7 years, everything will be 4K standard and, judging from history, our expectations will have evolved with the technology. By then, Nintendo (again, going on history) will have made 1080p their standard. In short, we will never be satisfied so long as Nintendo puts a smaller premium graphical prowess.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Witcher 3 and this game in two incomparable categories.

Or you could trim the extra needless fat and keep only the space you need.Like SoulsBorne games.

Seeing as I can't stand SoulsBorne games that sounds like a terrible solution to me.

Space can have purpose and is only fat if you don't know how to use it. It can be incredibly effective in the hands of capable developers. Red Dead Redemption is another great example of a game that masterfully used its open world design to give you a real sense of the world you were in. Providing you with a sense of atmosphere, distance and scope to the environments, while still maintaining a great deal of interesting and unique content spattered throughout it.

Sometimes desolate and empty is good as it can emphasize and accentuate the atmosphere of an area, making what you come upon more meaningful.

It's always how things are used in context of the overall experience, not what they are independently on paper, that matters.

janoDX

The Pro and Scorpio prove that high end PCs and console lines are once again blurring.

Is that a joke right? Because that's a good one. Right now PCs are destroying PS4PRO and the usual PS4 and Xbone games. Scorpio will be outdated by the moment 1080Ti arrives. You really want to say what you just said?

Plum

Souls games are many things but never, not even with Souls 1, did I feel like I was going on a continent-wide adventure, they tried that in 2 and failed badly. Souls games are great because their gameplay is all about intricately designed corridors, buildings and streets. Just saying "make it like Soulsborne" isn't a good argument, especially since Zelda has made its goal of feeling like a grand adventure clear from the very start.

Souls games are many things but never, not even with Souls 1, did I feel like I was going on a continent-wide adventure, they tried that in 2 and failed badly. Souls games are great because their gameplay is all about intricately designed corridors, buildings and streets. Just saying "make it like Soulsborne" isn't a good argument, especially since Zelda has made its goal of feeling like a grand adventure clear from the very start.

But BotW isn't a continent Wide Adventure, it's a kingdom wide Adventure just like every Dark Souls game.

WadeitOut

Is that a joke right? Because that's a good one. Right now PCs are destroying PS4PRO and the usual PS4 and Xbone games. Scorpio will be outdated by the moment 1080Ti arrives. You really want to say what you just said?

I found the comic book store owner from the Simpsons.

Plum

But BotW isn't a continent Wide Adventure, it's a kingdom wide Adventure just like every Dark Souls game.

Sure. Souls never felt like I was exploring a Kingdom either (of course Demon's did but that wasn't interconnected). They're way too interconnected to feel that way, which isn't a bad thing, but even in Souls 1 it still never felt like I was exploring anything but a small chunk of a much larger world.

As I said before Souls 2 wanted you to feel like you're travelling miles to get places but it was a massive detriment to the overall world design. You need open fields, massive mountains, etc to capture that feeling of adventure; Zelda simply wouldn't work if they just copied the world design of Souls.

HeelPower

Sometimes desolate and empty is good as it can emphasize and accentuate the atmosphere of an area, making what you come upon more meaningful.

Maybe ,but empty spaces that don't even look good depress me.We'll see what players think about it.
Souls games are many things but never, not even with Souls 1, did I feel like I was going on a continent-wide adventure

If Lordran didn't feel grand to you,then there's nothing I can argue here.It had a fascinating sense of scale.

Branduil

On the plus side, at least BotW has a bump in docked mode, unlike apparently SMO and Splatoon 2. I don't get what's going on with the Switch's docked mode.

Formless

On the plus side, at least BotW has a bump in docked mode, unlike apparently SMO and Splatoon 2. I don't get what's going on with the Switch's docked mode.

The developer can choose. SMO and Splatoon 2 aren't done.

DF's latest video also had a discussion on the approach devs make on docked vs undocked -- optimize for undocked first then add stuff vs developing a main docked mode and taking away stuff at the end. This would probably be done after the game is completed similarly to how an album is mastered (global changes vs constantly having to adjust)

Nintendo Switch
-Frame-rate drops typically seem to happen when there's depth of field on screen
-Lowest recorded frame-rate is 20fps.

I am pretty sure those are problems exclusive to the showfloor demo.
Very confident that the complete game will not have these problems.
But we shall see. I can live with a few framerate dips.
And what the hell, it's Zelda. It could run at 10fps and I'd still play the fuck outta this game.

Wagram

A frame rate drop every once and awhile isn't an issue. It's the frequency at which it occurs. If it's like once every 30 mins to an hour then who cares, but it'll be an issue for me if it's frequent.

Hattori

Banned
this analysis is based on a demo build, an unfinished product. For all we know this could be a Wii U build slapped on to the Switch just to have something to show running on the hardware.

On the plus side, at least BotW has a bump in docked mode, unlike apparently SfdMO and Splatoon 2. I don't get what's going on with the Switch's docked mode.
Those games are still in development, so Nintendo have decided to work with the undocked GPU first, then upgrade later. They probably did the same thing for Zelda, which may be why docked mode doesn't seem to do as much as it should with a 2.5x GPU speed difference. Time was likely an issue with that. The Mario Kart team is doing an enhanced port, so the resolution jump was probably a high priority.

Formless

So the reports yesterday about the Switch version running worse were complete bullshit?
Was it Gamespot that was saying it was worse?

It's the whole internet looking for things to complain about the Switch and then some people going on feels and memories from almost a year ago. (To be fair they made it pretty easy)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why do Zelda games always seem to have problems with alpha effects?

Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD had similar issues.

Top Bottom