• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Let's Play Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch

KainXVIII

It looks ugly....damn ugly. The environments, shadow, aliasing...everything except the character models (who look disconnected from the ugly environments). Ugly graphics period. Art style can only do so much for the character models. Thanks to the high-bitrate DF video you can see how this game properly looks.

13qabb.jpg

3xele1.jpg

64pzsl.jpg

Main gripe - why is everything so glowing? Just burning my eyes.

hqdefault.jpg

KrawlMan

I wish Zelda was on better hardware, it would look so much better.

BUT

I feel sorry for people who think the game looks ugly, can't look past pixels and the amount of objects rendered on screen. What a sad life that must be.

I think a lot of people can look past it, but it's upsetting all the same. With a gaming landscape filled to the brim with games pushing the limits of far superior tech, seeing a beloved franchise held so far behind isn't fun.

Mario doesn't need the tech as much, but franchises like Zelda and Metroid really could benefit.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So much dead space in certain sections. There's going to be a lot of traversal with little happening in-between isn't there?

It's like I'm looking at a land version of Wind Waker.
WTF do you expect? A cave with secrets and hords of enemies every 10 meters? Treasure behind every 3rd tree?

dex3108

Damn, this is probably one of the most egregious cases of bullshotting we've ever seen.

To be honest it is not that different. That screen still has lower res textures and not that good draw distance. Color and camera angle (that makes grass look so dense) are main difference.

wmlk

To be honest it is not that different. That screen still has lower res textures and not that good draw distance. Color and camera angle (that makes grass look so dense) are main difference.

It's more so that grass looks dense so far out in the reveal, but it only looks dense when angled very low in the current build.

WTF do you expect? A cave with secrets and hords of enemies every 10 meters? Treasure behind every 3rd tree?

Good gameplay variety and progression, in the treehouse footage off the plateau, the player receives multiple challenges in the shrines, a significantly larger Bokoblin Encampment than anything shown in the great plateau, capturing and managing a horse, and getting past a Guardian that's guarding one of the Towers that you need to get a new part of the map and that's only one path that was possible for the press to take. In the polygon video they showed how flying down to another part of the area showed off enemies in ambush and potentially the first moblin in the game that the player can encounter.

Branduil

The main bullshot aspect of that image is the draw distance and iq. I'm not sure any of the assets are actually any different. It will be interesting to see if that area is in the final game and how it's changed.

It's more so that grass looks dense so far out in the reveal, but it only looks dense when angled very low in the current build.

Yea, you're right. I played the game yesterday, and whilst I think it does still look quite nice and is without a doubt going to be a very good game, the initial reveal trailer looks significantly better than what I played.

I have no doubt that the trailer was running in-engine with in-game assets, but it certainly wasn't running on Wii U or Switch hardware. Most likely a PC build with all the flora/fauna and visual effects pumped up to max. The final game won't look that good.

Disappointing, but not enough to deter me from playing. I have no doubts that this game is going to be great!

Rodin

It's the camera. Boot up Xenoblade X, go to Primordia, adjust the camera as far away from the player as possible and change the angle like in that shot. You'll see a lot of grass up close, and the lod issues will look less apparent. People need to understand that you can't play the game like that though.

The main bullshot aspect of that image is the draw distance and iq. I'm not sure any of the assets are actually any different. It will be interesting to see if that area is in the final game and how it's changed.
Yeah.

I don't think anything from the e3 2014 teaser gameplay wise is missing in the game, it's just visual fidelity which is disappointing.

ktroopa

Im beginning to wonder if the wiiu version will have the better overall framerate. This game was of course base coded for wii u. Mmm

Kamina

Golden Boy
Good gameplay variety and progression, in the treehouse footage off the plateau, the player receives multiple challenges in the shrines, a significantly larger Bokoblin Encampment than anything shown in the great plateau, capturing and managing a horse, and getting past a Guardian that's guarding one of the Towers that you need to get a new part of the map and that's only one path that was possible for the press to take. In the polygon video they showed how flying down to another part of the area showed off enemies in ambush and potentially the first moblin in the game that the player can encounter.
I am sure the game will uphold that throughout the whole experience.

I just dislike when people look at some open plains and act like the game will be empty and boring based on that.

wmlk

It's the camera. Boot up Xenoblade X, go to Primordia, adjust the camera as far away from the player as possible and change the angle like in that shot. You'll see a lot of grass up close, and the lod issues will look less apparent. People need to understand that you can't play the game like that though.

Yeah.

The draw distance for the grass is much better in the reveal. Look at how far Link is and how much grass there is around him. Even the house on the left side.

takriel

I'm looking forward to finding the same place and angle from this E3 2014 reveal picture in the final game and comparing them. It will be one of the first things I do once I get off the Plateau.

dex3108

Keep in mind that reveal scene is looking downhill so you don;t need to lower camera angle that much. And maybe grass draw distance is higher in that reveal screen but not by much. But still even if you look at new Horizon Zero Dawn footage you will see that they have issues with drawing distance too. In general that is still main issue in open world games.

We will see how Zelda will look in 4K on CEMU.

Rodin

The draw distance for the grass is much better in the reveal. Look at how far Link is and how much grass there is around him.
Yeah that's for sure, but trust me when i say that the camera helps a lot in getting an impressive shot. In this case it's because you also see a lot more grass behind him that you don't get during gameplay (it's actually the closest thing to the camera and there's a lot of it).

But sure, the draw distance is still better in that footage, and downsampling certainly helps too but promotional screens iq was never going to be in the game, we knew that. For everything else the game looks pretty close, they didn't downgrade lighting, shaders, particles, etc.

Anyway it will be interesting to see that area in game.

It's really amazing how Nintendo never gets called our for their shit like Ubisoft, EA or Activision. 900p not locked 30fps exclusive game with major downgrades since reveal, GAF would be on fire if that would have been Watchdogs_2.
Unbelievable how they could screw up pretty much everything like this. At least lock it to 30fps, it is a goddamn first party Wii U Port. How will Third parties even get anything running on switch.

Apt101

I think it looks amazing, and I am a bit of a graphics whore. I was on the fence about a Switch, but I think now I'll get one (whenever Nintendo decides they want to take my money and manufactures more than a handful at a time).

I needed a reason to buy a side shelf for my entertainment center anyways.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's really amazing how Nintendo never gets called our for their shit like Ubisoft, EA or Activision. 900p not locked 30fps exclusive game with major downgrades since reveal, GAF would be on fire if that would have been Watchdogs_2.
Unbelievable how they could screw up pretty much everything like this. At least lock it to 30fps, it is a goddamn first party Wii U Port. How will Third parties even get anything running on switch.
Different situation. The Switch is basically a handheld. Graphics like this on a portable still look impressive.

Zedark

720p LOCKED 30fps for Handheld mode is fine. How the docked mode gets so little extra power that it cant even lock the game at 900p@30fps is beyond me.

That is definitely the question, seeing as it seems not to be consistent between games: Splatoon runs at 720p both in docked and undocked mode, Zelda does 720p undocked and 900p docked, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe does 720p undocked and 1080p docked. It could be that they added an incredible number of effects to Splatoon docked mode to enhance the IQ, but I would rather say that (as Richard Leadbetter also said in this video) they optimise the game for the undocked mode first, get that to 720p, and then work with the added power for the dock. It should be completely possible to at get a rock solid frame rate at 900p (though it is not as bad as the OP summary suggests), so I guess they have a slightly older build that will improve at launch. If not, they will definitely have fucked it up, though.
Well, what would it get extra power from ?
Upclocking. The Eurogamer/DF leak told us the handheld mode gives 40% clock speed, which translates to 40% of the docked power (assuming the architecture of the chip does not limit the docked potential).

Looks the same to me?
3xele1.jpg

Ish6nntkdak3pdvq7i3v.jpg

I'm not denying there's been a downgrade but these aren't similar shots. I took some screen grabs from the trailer which are pretty low quality but they're a little more comparable. The grass for instance doesn't look too far off what we saw in the initial reveal but there's no denying that it doesn't hold up to what was originally shown.

These are all very low quality screens that have lost a lot of detail so I suggest watching the trailer if you haven't already

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The texture filtering is indeed dreadful. But I've come to expect that from most console hardware, especially Nintendo and their focus on low tier specifications. It's a shame, but not much you can do.

Overall I'm happy with how Breath of the Wild looks. I think it's blatantly obvious it's heavily restricted by the type of game it is (namely open world) alongside the limited hardware it has been built for. There's only so much scene detail and complexity you can stick in a game that's built for the Wii U and open world. I'm really happy with the art though; vibrant and clear.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, this is probably one of the most egregious cases of bullshotting we've ever seen.

The finished product looks so so rough. Poor textures, extremely aggressive LOD setting resulting in the middle distance looking like Mars, non existent AA. I agree with you, this is one of the most outrageous examples of bullshotting ever. Deserves to be in the hall of fame with Watch Dogs etc.

Zuzzissm0

It won't. All the footage of the Wii U version has a significantly worse framerate.
What is with all you. Does any of you saw the final Wiiu Build? I Dont think so. All you Know is a final Switch Build and a DEMO build for e3. Also the Switch is only a Port and since when Nintendo Dont Polish the Games for Wiiu. So all of you who will get with the Wiiu Version Dont listen to this shit about fps

Zedark

What is with all you. Does any of you saw the final Wiiu Build? I Dont think so. All you Know is a final Switch Build and a DEMO build for e3. Also the Switch is only a Port and since when Nintendo Dont Polish the Games for Wiiu. So all of you who will get with the Wiiu Version Dont listen to this shit about fps

Do we know that?

Lom1lo

After the leaked specs, I hoped that it works like that: portable 720p and docked 1080p (everything else stays the same).

I expected this because of two things:

1. CPU Power stays the same
2. GPU Power is a bit more than doubled

If this szenario isnt possible because of some bottleneck in another aspect, I'll be disappointed.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I think this will look stunning as a handheld game, it will be very hard to deny that, when it comes to playing it on a 50" plus TV that will be a another story completely but then I suppose it depends on what your expectations are, knowing the hardware I've pretty much accepted that this is a Wii-U Pro at best, end of the day it's Zelda, amazing graphics would be nice but tbh I'm not really that bothered, which is why I'll be buying it for the Wii-U.

They may have tried to make them equal regardless of what witch can or can't do. Guess we will see.

I wish they had studied mario kart to see if the visuals were down graded any. Don't mean frames or rez.

geordiemp

Upclocking. The Eurogamer/DF leak told us the handheld mode gives 40% clock speed, which translates to 40% of the docked power (assuming the architecture of the chip does not limit the docked potential).

Maybe its the possible low bandwidth if it is 25.6 ?

Maybe you answered your own question ?

How do other open world games fare on Xbox One?

That is an additional problem imho. X1 and PS4(Slim) games get (rightfully) bad comments for not being locked 900p/1080p@30fps.
Both consoles are cheaper and come with bundled games. Switch should be assessed with the same criterias.

Not to say the game looks bad, the style is very good and the overall astethic is pleasing. The technichal stuff is (imho) rather questionable.

Zedark

Maybe its the possible low bandwidth if it is 25.6 ?

Maybe you answered your own question ?

But that doesn't explain why Mario Kart 8 is capable of going from 720p to 1080p. It is definitely a possibility, and maybe Mario Kart 8 on the handheld does not use the full power available, but that would be an assumption I don't want to make.

Top Bottom