• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

I can imagine that performance on both consoles is crap as long as you don't parallelize your game well enough to take advantage of the 6-7 cores that are available to it. Maybe that's an issue here.
That's my guess.
Even when they swapped to a 7850 on the PC they still got 45fps

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can imagine that performance on both consoles is crap as long as you don't parallelize your game well enough to take advantage of the 6-7 cores that are available to it. Maybe that's an issue here.

The game is definitely CPU-limited on the PC side.

SeanTSC

1st Strider and now this, man what's going on here?

I don't think 2 games out of about 34 (going by the wiki) currently released is indicative of a pattern. Unless both are UE3 games and the others aren't.

Strider's lack of it just screams "bug" to me. Has there been any official comment on it?

And Thief's lack of it is either the same or a really dumb port job.

Chobel

I thought it is true, if you have higher resolution you should see sharper on texture.

e.g. random flat view on texture from OP's link. I'm sure that both are same texture file but the end visual is different due of rendering resolution are not the same.
resolution_on_texture_example_zps5bc5c2b2.gif

You're right and it's true. I was stupid and I read it wrong, what I saw in my mind was "slightly less sharp". My bad.

Skeff

Please. There's always a certain subjectivity to these calls. It's funny to see people dismissing DF on the basis that they apparently don't give reductionist analysis along the lines of "collect all the advantages this or that platform has over the other, and give the win to whoever has the most," as if that would actually be the slightest bit worthwhile. I mean, in this case one of those advantages is being 5 FPS less bad during slowdowns. It's not surprising DF thought the filtering issues would be more impactful to the experience than either that FPS difference or the resolution difference.

You say it like 5FPS isn't much during frame drops on a 30fps game, the differences between 27-28 fps and 22-23 fps are massive.

To be honest, this game looks like a poor rush job on both consoles.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I only meant those two. Blame my english.

Ask the devs, both are GCN parts and AF should be super cheap. Maybe they didn't read the PS4 documentation enough, maybe it is a bug. There is no technical reason for devs to not use AF, especially in a game where the PS4 is pushing more pixels with more headroom. Strider is defiantly not pushing the PS4, the GPU is probably half idle.

styl3s

Wow, console version sound horrible. 20fps really? Shit like that shouldn't be sold, really. It's not a finished product worth our money and more importantly our time. "NextGen". Haha.
Games should have to at least be locked at 30fps to ship.

You say it like 5FPS isn't much during frame drops on a 30fps game, the differences between 27-28 fps and 22-23 fps are massive.

again, aside from the factual difference, how impactful that specific difference is comes down to personal preference. if the games both drop below 25 fps with similar regularity, that one drops further than the other won't make much differences to my experience with the game. i'll notice and be upset at both. 25 is the floor for me on what I can tolerate.

personally.

I can imagine this is just the next in a long line of "fair and completely balanced" head to head's that DF will have for it's readers/viewers.

With so many red flags being raised about DF in these past few months why does everyone keep saying 'Well, DF will give us the real truth on <insert game here>?"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't think 2 games out of about 34 (going by the wiki) currently released is indicative of a pattern. Unless both are UE3 games and the others aren't.

Strider's lack of it just screams "bug" to me. Has there been any official comment on it?

And Thief's lack of it is either the same or a really dumb port job.

It seems to be more than just two games and it seems to be an issue that isn't uncommon on the Xbox One either.

pestul

Regardless of if there's a texturing issue, they know damn well that showing those pop-in pictures would be misconstrued.
Really? The original article cites asset streaming as the cause right in the image caption. It's really the fault of how it's constantly quoted here without context, followed by a bazillion comments about AF. I wouldn't argue against the controversy the final verdict has generated though.

cgcg

Xbox one no POM?

Xbox one

Thief_XO_011.jpg.jpg

PS 4

Thief_PS4_011.jpg.jpg

DF: "Consistence is key. The Xbone version has consistently flat textures which is a key. PS4 version has different size stones all over the place which leads to inconsistent image, confusion and experience for the players. Consistency is always the key. Like consistently worse framerate and resolution. We at DF choose Xbone for its great consistency."

Calabi

rugfilteringb9sjf.png

here you go. look at the rug.

This is probably a stupid question, but why hasnt the trilinear filtering effected the wall?

From what I remember of changing it in Skyrim it effected all textures at distances, so it was, walls, rocks, everything. The Xbox ones wall and the PS4 wall look nearly identical to me(in fact the PS4 looks slightly sharper probably due to the resolution), unless I'm mistaken in my view and interpretation of how the filtering works.

edit: Sorry really was stupid, forget its oblique angles and all that.

Nerokis

It started with the 'improper' capture of Battlefield 4.

There, it was basically a single red flag.

When people caught on to the insanity that happened, they apologized but changed nothing.

I said we would have to wait and see if DF would fuck up again in favor of the Xbox One, and this is pretty much it. They saw an opportunity to control the narrative and took it.

Regardless of if there's a texturing issue, they know damn well that showing those pop-in pictures would be misconstrued.

Found the old post
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87933253&postcount=2702

So after DF wrote that BF4 article, you decided to wait and see if they'd ever again write a possible-to-disagree-with article that leans toward the X1 on a particular game, and now that they've done so after months of writing PS4-wins article after PS4-wins article, boom, the charade is over. I'm sensing a slight touch confirmation bias here.

Like I said, there's a certain subjectivity to it. Your tolerance or sensitivity to these things will vary, and in this case, it's a FPS difference mostly limited to moments of slowdown. "2-1, and the platform with 1 wins?" is a ridiculous and blatantly self-serving reading of this particular scenario.

SeanTSC

Please. There's always a certain subjectivity to these calls. It's funny to see people dismissing DF on the basis that they apparently don't give reductionist analysis along the lines of "collect all the advantages this or that platform has over the other, and give the win to whoever has the most," as if that would actually be the slightest bit worthwhile. I mean, in this case one of those advantages is being 5 FPS less bad during slowdowns. It's not surprising DF thought the filtering issues would be more impactful to the experience than either that FPS difference or the resolution difference.

There's definitely subjectivity to this. Personally, I think it's a bad call, but not because I think they purposely wanted to give the Xbone a win or something.

I think that the person doing the analysis knows how important and awesome AF is (like we all do), but did a really poor job in taking the layout of Thief's environmental design into account. AF is a huge deal in games with big areas and large draw distances and the lack of it in a game like that would be extremely jarring. However, with how Thief's world is built, it just doesn't matter nearly as much. I think they looked at the situation from the wrong point of view.

Maybe they didn't spend enough time with the game and made the call based on how they view AF in other games. Maybe they just really love AF. Whatever the case, I personally think that they misjudged it.

This is probably a stupid question, but why hasnt the trilinear filtering effected the wall?

Because the problem that anisotropic filtering solves only affects surfaces when viewed at a steep angle, IE: the floor in a long hallway. If you are looking straight at a a wall trilinear filtering is fine.

SeanTSC

It seems to be more than just two games and it seems to be an issue that isn't uncommon on the Xbox One either.

What other games are missing AF? Strider and Thief are the first ones that I've heard of, at least for US releases. I did see that someone posted that Yakuza Ishin may be missing it as well.

From what I remember of changing it in Skyrim it effected all textures at distances, so it was, walls, rocks, everything. The Xbox ones wall and the PS4 wall look nearly identical to me(in fact the PS4 looks slightly sharper probably due to the resolution), unless I'm mistaken in my view and interpretation of how the filtering works.

edit: Sorry really was stupid, forget its oblique angles and all that.

The wall is facing towards the camera.

Nerokis

There's definitely subjectivity to this. Personally, I think it's a bad call, but not because I think they purposely wanted to give the Xbone a win or something.

I think that the person doing the analysis knows how important and awesome AF is (like we all do), but did a really poor job in taking the layout of Thief's environmental design into account. AF is a huge deal in games with big areas and large draw distances and the lack of it in a game like that would be extremely jarring. However, with how Thief's world is built, it just doesn't matter nearly as much. I think they looked at the situation from the wrong point of view.

Maybe they didn't spend enough time with the game and made the call based on how they view AF in other games. Maybe they just really love AF. Whatever the case, I personally think that they misjudged it.

Thank you. This is a very fair and informative criticism of the article, and exactly the grounds on which it should be debated.

Ashariel

Banned
Can't win em all I suppose

Holy sgit does it seem like they were reaching hard for an Xbox One win over the PS4.

Not sure if Trilinear filtering is going to degrade IQ enough at 1080p that 900p looks better with anisotropic filtering. Also, who cares about performance right?

Trilinear filtering looks like dog shit mixed with puke and piss compared to 16xAF. And that's sugar coating it.

jaaz

So what? The problem with DF is that whenever there is some subjectivity, they always subjectively come out on the side of MS. They would have never, NEVER called a PS3 version of a multi platform game better because it had better AF, but less resolution and worse frame rate.

And before you point to previous releases in the current generation, know that the differences were so astronomical that there was very little subjectivity there, and thus no way they could have given the crown to the Xbone without obviously looking like the hacks they likely are. In this game it's much closer due to developer incompetence, so they saw an opening to get away with it.

Synless

There should be no reason X1 should ever win one of these, it really blows my mind it's happened twice. Though both times it was due to lack of AF, which is a stretch on their part as in the past greater resolution and framerate trumped all, apparently that changed.

Nerokis

So what? The problem with DF is that whenever there is some subjectivity, they always subjectively come out on the side of MS. They would have never, NEVER called a PS3 version of a multi platform game better because it had better AF, but less resolution and worse frame rate.

And before you point to previous releases in the current generation, know that the differences were so astronomical that there was very little subjectivity there, and thus no way they could have given the crown to the Xbone without obviously looking like the hacks they likely are. In this game it's much closer due to developer incompetence, so they saw an opening to get away with it.

It sounds like you'll find any opening you can to be dismissive of DF's analysis. You seemingly acknowledge that DF has given the win to the PS4 time and time again, but then act as if they'd never give the win to the PS3 on the basis of things like resolution and frame rate. How is that even coherent?

Anyway, it took me 3 seconds to find a 360 vs. PS3 analysis that proves you wrong.

Synless

It sounds like you'll find any opening you can to be dismissive of DF's analysis. You seemingly acknowledge that DF has given the win to the PS4 time and time again, but then act as if they'd never give the win to the PS3 on the basis of things like resolution and frame rate. How is that even coherent?

Anyway, it took me 3 seconds to find a 360 vs. PS3 analysis that proves you wrong.
That game you used had better framerate, resolution and everything else on PS3. How does that prove that poster wrong?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

But Final Fantasy was better in all the areas and is not at all the case that he is talking about.

Next time you try to disprove someone, invest 5 seconds.

HTupolev

Lol, what? How does FFXIII prove him wrong?

Performance can't be a sticking point against PS3, because it very rarely drops from the target 30. And resolution astronomically favours PS3, being 50% higher than the 360 version.

The PS3 version is basically better in every way.

Majmun

So the Ps4 version has better resolution and framerate, but is still loses because it lacks AF, which is probably due to a bug?

DF is becoming a joke.

Nerokis

That game you used had better framerate, resolution and everything else on PS3. How does that prove him wrong?

Okay, it doesn't. But in my mind, those specific requirements aren't really necessary to throw off his narrative. Or rather, they shouldn't be.

Top Bottom