• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

Lol, what? How does FFXIII prove him wrong?

Performance can't be a sticking point against PS3, because it very rarely drops from the target 30. And resolution astronomically favours PS3, being 50% higher than the 360 version.

The PS3 version is basically better in every way.

Don't forget Chapter 11's framerate on 360 which is abominable.

Kinyou

So the Ps4 version has better resolution and framerate, but is still loses because it lacks AF, which is probably due to a bug?

DF is becoming a joke.
They're not rating the graphics on the prospect that something might be patched. They just analyze the current versions.

DF have been making to many mistakes in my book even before this gen started .
After TR where fail to mention certain things they have really drop in some people eyes .

Skeff

So after DF wrote that BF4 article, you decided to wait and see if they'd ever again write a possible-to-disagree-with article that leans toward the X1 on a particular game, and now that they've done so after months of writing PS4-wins article after PS4-wins article, boom, the charade is over. I'm sensing a slight touch confirmation bias here.

Like I said, there's a certain subjectivity to it. Your tolerance or sensitivity to these things will vary, and in this case, it's a FPS difference mostly limited to moments of slowdown. "2-1, and the platform with 1 wins?" is a ridiculous and blatantly self-serving reading of this particular scenario.

subjectivity?

Brief description of Digital Foundry from Eurogamer website:

In-depth technical analysis of games and gaming hardware at Eurogamer.net

As I said earlier in the thread, they should have sat on the fence on this one.

AF is a huge boost in image quality so I can see why they'd push that as a leading factor.

What's funny about this whole thing is that AF is a VERY small hit on performance and should be available on both but for some reason it isn't so X1 with lower res/fps/ lack of parallax mapping is winning!

Melchiah

Something isn't right...

the_gapqlpov.png

Is this even acknowledged in the article?

Is this even acknowledged in the article?

Didn't AF play merry hell with POM in Crysis? Anyone who knows more about the techniques could possibly enlighten us here.

Is it possible that AF has been disabled in the PS4 version because they thought POM was more important?

And can anyone confirm that POM is missing in the Xbox One version? Perhaps a PC owner of this game could do some tests.

jaaz

It sounds like you'll find any opening you can to be dismissive of DF's analysis. You seemingly acknowledge that DF has given the win to the PS4 time and time again, but then act as if they'd never give the win to the PS3 on the basis of things like resolution and frame rate. How is that even coherent?

Anyway, it took me 3 seconds to find a 360 vs. PS3 analysis that proves you wrong.

I am not sure how you could have missed the point more completely. I'll try one more time: When they feel it's visually close between the two consoles, DF will consistently give the nod to MS, even to the point of ignoring better resolution and frame rates on the PS4. How is this even debatable, look at the Thief comparison? How could anyone not a fanboy prefer AF over lower resolution and frame rate?

When the differences are huge like in that article you cited, they can't give it to MS without looking like hacks and losing the little credibility they have, so they give the nod to the PS. They've done this consistently, do more research if you must done, but I'm done. If you can't see this from the Thief comparison, it's because you don't WANT to see it.

Yup, not buying this game. The performance overall on consoles sounds awful. Frame pacing makes movement feel bad? No thank you.

In the stinky land of Thief the X1 stinks slightly less. Let's celebrate this victory and declare the console war resolved with a draw.

o/

as far as it being patched in, my only thoughts are:

-it's UE3, which is bound to have issues being stretched across gens, and it might not be fixable for some strange bizarre reason
+they listened to our feedback before the game launched and changed some things, so at least we know they are open to listening and fixing stuff
-they might break something else, or decrease the quality of some other aspect in order to fix the texture/filtering issue despite it not being that taxing on performance
+if they don't fix it, i'm still having a blast and it won't ruin my day.

i'd personally prefer them tweak the game itself a bit before messing with performance or technical patches. i'd like the map to be a bit more intuitive and show markers for ALL area transitions (the glowy thingies on gates that take you to a new area), the ability to mark the map for certain things you want to revisit later (ie: a painting when you don't have the razor yet), and that sort of thing.

otherwise, my only other issues at the moment are trying to figure out how to get to certain areas as well as not understanding why there are some items to steal laying on random wooden beams that there's no possible way to reach. (not without a magic double-jump skill, at least)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Didn't AF play merry hell with POM in Crysis? Anyone who knows more about the techniques could possibly enlighten us here.
AF works with POM in Thief.

Is it possible that AF has been disabled in the PS4 version because they thought POM was more important?
Who knows? Maybe? What we know from the PC version that POM is quite a bit more performance demanding than AFx16.

And can anyone confirm that POM is missing in the Xbox One version? Perhaps a PC owner of this game could do some tests.
It's obvious from the screenshot that POM is missing in the right compared to the left image.

Chabbles

Really DF?

The Xbone having shittier framerate even at lower res is the bigger issue and they gave it the better version? Nice job 'experts' at DF

This actually shows the devs incompetence rather than PS4

Screw the framerate difference, its afew frames. They both jump around in the 20's, and its very noticeable while exploring the city if your sensitive to sub 30 (PS4 here). People playing both versions will have to deal with it, and the texture streaming issues.

Then you have 1080p vs 900p, with (supposedly) trilinear vs 16x anisotropic. With the FXAA being used, maybe 900p with 16x and the fxaa does actually look slightly better in person.. i mean theres alot of bricks in the game, just about every surface would benefit greatly from 16x anisotropic, over trilinear. (if that is the case)

Imo its the devs who should be taking all the anger from people on this result.

Maybe its the youtube compression, but im not seeing a big difference in filtering here, wouldnt trilinear vs 16x anisotropic be blatantly and unquestionably obvious ?

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Melchiah

It sounds like you'll find any opening you can to be dismissive of DF's analysis. You seemingly acknowledge that DF has given the win to the PS4 time and time again, but then act as if they'd never give the win to the PS3 on the basis of things like resolution and frame rate. How is that even coherent?

Anyway, it took me 3 seconds to find a 360 vs. PS3 analysis that proves you wrong.

Heh, that's one of the few articles where they crowned the PS3 version, yet the 360 version's shortcomings were put on the developers' shoulders, unlike in, say, Bayonetta comparison.

Vizzeh

Banned
Lazyness like this from devs puts me off buying their product, it is clear they did not spend enough time on each platform to give us the best possible experience.

Can anyone that has played this game, with the above statement in mind, recommend it due to a overbalance of enjoyment/gameplay?

Havel

I'm just wondering. Considering Thief uses UE3, can anyone else think of a UE3 game which uses POM and AF in conjunction? Maybe it is an engine limitation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The main thing I'm getting from this analysis is that the game was not ready to ship. Sub-30fps in a UE3 game on both of these platforms is abysmal.

*Enters tech thread*

Why do you guys care about the frame rate and resolution so much? As long as its fun thats all that matters.

EDIT: sorry was just kidding around.

AF works with POM in Thief.
good to know.

Who knows? Maybe? What we know from the PC version that POM is quite a bit more performance demanding than AFx16.

It's obvious from the screenshot that POM is missing in the right compared to the left image.
yes, but is it nowhere to be seen anywhere in the game? that's what I was asking.

Nerokis

subjectivity?

Brief description of Digital Foundry from Eurogamer website:

As I said earlier in the thread, they should have sat on the fence on this one.

Yes, subjectivity. The "objective" version of this analysis some were calling for, where DF gives it to the PS4 on the basis of having more noted advantages, wouldn't have been particularly in-depth. That tends to require actually weighing the different factors, and yeah, that often times has an element of subjectivity to it.

I am not sure how you could have missed the point more completely. I'll try one more time: When they feel it's visually close between the two consoles, DF will consistently give the nod to MS, even to the point of ignoring better resolution and frame rates on the PS4. How is this even debatable, look at the Thief comparison? How could anyone not a fanboy prefer AF over lower resolution and frame rate?

When the differences are huge like in that article you cited, they can't give it to MS without looking like hacks and losing the little credibility they have, so they give the nod to the PS. They've done this consistently, do more research if you must done, but I'm done. If you can't see this from the Thief comparison, it's because you don't WANT to see it.

I didn't miss your point, so much as I didn't tackle it on your terms at all. Which was definitely a fault in my argument, so I'll simply accept your accusation that for whatever reason I'm too invested in DF's analysis to see the truth.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
yes, but is it nowhere to be seen anywhere in the game? that's what I was asking.
Then we need to ask Xbone owners not PC owners, though. :p

We'll get some high quality Xbone footage by Gamersyde in the future, then we can see whether or not the few times shown are the anomaly or if there is no POM after all.

Waaghals

Haveing read the entirety of the article I can see where he is coming from.

The Xbone does not win, the PC version does.

I was left with the impression that both Xbone and PS4 versions are trash, and not really worth buying.

Havel

Screw the framerate difference, its afew frames. They both jump around in the 20's, and its very noticeable while exploring the city if your sensitive to sub 30 (PS4 here). People playing both versions will have to deal with it, and the texture streaming issues.

Then you have 1080p vs 900p, with (supposedly) trilinear vs 16x anisotropic. With the FXAA being used, maybe 900p with 16x and the fxaa does actually look slightly better in person.. i mean theres alot of bricks in the game, just about every surface would benefit greatly from 16x anisotropic, over trilinear. (if that is the case)

Imo its the devs who should be taking all the anger from people on this result.

Maybe its the youtube compression, but im not seeing a big difference in filtering here, wouldnt trilinear vs 16x anisotropic be blatantly and unquestionably obvious ?

image.png

This one right here is where you can see the difference. Look at the bottom of the slope, you can see that the Xbone version has sharper textures because of AF.

Still, I'm convinced this is either:

a) A bug on the PS4 version considering how minuscule of a performance hit 16xAF has.

b) They decided to go for POM instead of AF on the PS4 version.

Top Bottom