• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

Izuna

Banned
So PS4:
- Full 1080p
- Trilinear filtering
- Steadier framerate (>24 FPS)

Xbox One:
- 900p
- 16x anisotropic filtering
- drops to 20's

Yet the Xbox One > PS4, huh?

To be honest here, texture filtering is very important for me. Forza 5 has terrible issues with it and imo it degrades the quality too much. I just hooked up a new U2414H monitor since I moved and these things are extremely noticeable, much more than the difference between 900p and 1080p. If I were configuring settings on PC and there was a trilinear filtering bug for 1080p I wouldn't pick it.

ps3ud0

I didn't think it was necessary but I guess posting context-less images when people have no clue what AF means is that some posters are assuming Unreal Engine texture load-in issues are "AF" and the game looks like that.

thiefw5p9l.gif
Cheers needed that gif.

I think while I agree with the DF conclusion, I think how they presented some of the issues unsettling. Why show texture streaming using still shots escapes me and declare that both use POM when it doesnt appear to be the case from the screenshots you are using...

This just cant be incompetence, but then the big talking point about why the PS4 has to use TF rather than AF isnt even thought worth investigating further...

With regards to this game it really is which one is shit and which one is really shit, neither outcome is really a recommendation to buy really especially considering how substandard the gameplay is...

ps3ud0 8)

TUROK

But they do?

The comment in this scene comparison
"4/7 Asset streaming is more apparent on PS4 on occasion. Entering the Crippled Burrick area causes assets to visibly pop in in as the camera pans across. Fortunately, once it's loaded the issue disappears during regular play. In this shot, we see the left pillar on the building has yet to resolve its texture on PS4."
Nobody ever bothers to read anything in DF threads.

omonimo

Banned
This isn't an issue of power.
I'm not want it but I don't understand what those microstattering did to keep the two version on par with different lower fps. Seem you are going too much beyond any tech logic. Keep in mind I'm just talking based to the article words.

Cerity

I'm not even sure how I feel about having drops below 30fps at the start of the gen. Especially on an old engine.

So we have to deal with the kneejerk "DF is biased" garbage every time they favor an Xbox One game? I suppose the people parroting that haven't read the last dozen DF comparisons, especially since they obviously didn't read this article.

It seems those people want a comparison of "which console is more powerful" as if their personal choice needs to be affirmed nonstop. Nobody would ever deny that the PS4 is more powerful, that shouldn't need to constantly be reiterated as that's not what is being analyzed. It's not hard to understand that running a game at a higher resolution and framerate can lead to other things being bumped down, sometimes things that matter quite a bit.

It's not really some earth shattering result and calling any criticism of the PS4 version of a game bias means you pretty much don't want actual graphical analysis and instead want the console you own to be praised at every opportunity with anything else being heresy. No matter how valid it is.

Basically.

FranXico

Also noteworthy is the fact that according to the EG comments section, there are patches of 6GB and 56MB on the XB1 and PS4 respectively.

I wonder if the XB1 is pre-loading assets more aggressively thanks to that patch?

Ty4on

To be fair, the WiiU Batman AC port had scenes where you were hanging from a building and the textures weren't loaded by that point. This is not the case in Thief. :p

Donkey Kong, Lego City and Splinter Cell all have issues with long load times on the WiiU. Dunno if it's the decompression or what. Seems like it doesn't matter if it's from the disc or not.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The article that had a video there for us all to watch... That the article you're referring to? Take a look at the screenshot above if you can't be bothered watching champ... 29 fps on xbone vs 21 fps on ps4. Facts are facts. Cut scene or not the drops are there and they're bigger on ps4
This has come up before in previous Digital Foundry Face-Offs:
"A trailing average calculated from x refresh samples (at say 60hz) can make variation between 20 and 30 hz look like less than 20. It all depends on when you start and end the period you use to calculate the figure."

The same principle holds true here.

i think u didnt seen the screenshots

DF always gives the edge to the version with best frame-rate unless there are serious issues with the graphics in the version that performs better.
I've been reading their articles since they started so I was surprised when I reached the bottom and saw their reasoning, usually it's easy to tell which version comes out on top before reading the verdict.
Of course if you single out assets that haven't loaded the final texture you get terrible pics like the ones posted here.
I guess the frame-rate difference is negligible, going by the videos it certainly seems all over the place on both versions but that quote does say that the dips on the X1 are more pronnounced.

No, we couldn't.

Yes we could. Just that some (most) of us won't to keep up this extraordinary anti Xbox One agenda on GAF. It's amazing on here. Seriously sad that a digital foundry article goes against ps4 and this place goes into meltdown trying to claim they're wrong. Yet a positive ps4 DF article and it's all smiles here. Joke. We all know ps4 is more powerful. Don't need DF to reaffirm your console choice.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Donkey Kong, Lego City and Splinter Cell all have issues with long load times on the WiiU. Dunno if it's the decompression or what. Seems like it doesn't matter if it's from the disc or not.

Those clouds that never seem to end!

omonimo

Banned
The article that had a video there for us all to watch... That the article you're referring to? Take a look at the screenshot above if you can't be bothered watching champ... 29 fps on xbone vs 21 fps on ps4. Facts are facts. Cut scene or not the drops are there and they're bigger on ps4

So you have searched desperately this drop at 21 fps &it means game drop to 21 fps frequently?Facts? The article said otherwise, so I suppose it's just a weird dip.

Strider was made by Double Helix if I remember correctly, with Strider being their second Xbone game - after Xbone launch exclusive Killer Instinct. Their lack of experience with the PS4 could be to blame, but being that small scale independent developers have said that the PS4 is easy to work with, I'm happy to blame it on incompetence. Double Helix aren't exactly known for their great technical prowess, and "Th4if" was stuck in development hell and likely pushed out before it was ready.

What I find really interesting is DF throwing up pics of the texture streaming issue, and not stating explicitly that the issue being shown in those pics isn't the texture filter issue. It feels like a case of the good old "click-bait", as opposed to DF actually doing their jobs. From their article, the PS4 beats the Xbone hands down in every technical category... save for texture filtering. And this is enough to snag the Xbone, running at a lower frame rate, lower resolution and missing key graphical features, a technological "victory". I call shenanigans.

I came here to say this but you saved me a lot of typing on my phone. Lol Well said.

This has come up before in previous Digital Foundry Face-Offs:
"A trailing average calculated from x refresh samples (at say 60hz) can make variation between 20 and 30 hz look like less than 20. It all depends on when you start and end the period you use to calculate the figure."

The same principle holds true here.

We are talking about drops. Not averages. It drops to 21 fps on ps4. People here are quoting a mistake in the article claiming the ps4 maintains over 25 fps. It clearly drops to 21. At the same time the xbone is at 29. What does it prove? I'm not too sure cause at different points the ps4 stays higher than the xbone. Big deal. Shoddy port on both consoles. No need for everyone here to cry that ps4 lost this round.

So basically image quality doesn't matter, except when it's texture filtering, which didn't matter with 720p and framerate matters but both are not good so neither is less bad than the other, even though one is actually less bad than the other.

That said, the game looks awful from a technical point of view on the 3 main platforms, considering it's UE3 and not really that intensive. It's also stupid not to have AF in a modern game.

Rodelero

You're cherry picking. You've picked a singular moment of a singular clip to support your argument. The Xbox line on that graph is the lower of the two for considerably longer.

DF always gives the edge to the version with best frame-rate unless there are serious issues with the graphics in the version that performs better.
I've been reading their articles since they started so I was surprised when I reached the bottom and saw their reasoning, usually it's easy to tell which version comes out on top before reading the verdict.
Of course if you single out assets that haven't loaded the final texture you get terrible pics like the ones posted here.
I guess the frame-rate difference is negligible, going by the videos it certainly seems all over the place on both versions but that quote does say that the dips on the X1 are more pronnounced.

Xbone needs a break.

Also according to DF framerate video, Xbone version definitely has more dips in the gameplay ''battle'' section.

TheKayle

Banned

there are horrible graphics issue ..to me..and yea i think both version arent ok ..20 or 24 is but clearly here the problem is on the tf and texture streaming

Ty4on

Yes we could. Just that some (most) of us won't to keep up this extraordinary anti Xbox One agenda on GAF. It's amazing on here. Seriously sad that a digital foundry article goes against ps4 and this place goes into meltdown trying to claim they're wrong. Yet a positive ps4 DF article and it's all smiles here. Joke. We all know ps4 is more powerful. Don't need DF to reaffirm your console choice.

Say one thing vaguely positive about the Xbox One and suddenly you've been payed by MS :p

benny_a

We are talking about drops. Not averages. It drops to 21 fps on ps4. People here are quoting a mistake in the article claiming the ps4 maintains over 25 fps. It clearly drops to 21. At the same time the xbone is at 29. What does it prove? I'm not too sure cause at different points the ps4 stays higher than the xbone. Big deal. Shoddy port on both consoles. No need for everyone here to cry that ps4 lost this round.
How do you think the FPS counter in the video is calculated? It's an average. There is no other way in the world of mathematics to discard all but a single frame and say this is the frame that dropped to 21.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

We couldn't because we know for a fact that Xbone is significantly less powerful than PS4, so worse performance in games is what we'd expect. Worse performance in a PS4 version of a multiplatform must have a developer-based reason.

So you have searched desperately this drop at 21 fps &it means game drop to 21 fps frequently?Facts? The article said otherwise, so I suppose it's just a weird dip.

Pretty big dip that the xbox one never gets to in the video. In earlier DF articles when xbone dropped frames it was happy times here. Now PS4 drops below xbone it's now a "weird dip"???!!! I don't think I understand though- could you show me where the xbox one version drops as low as 21 fps? Cause for the superior hardware that's pretty damn shocking.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We couldn't because we know for a fact that Xbone is significantly less powerful than PS4, so worse performance in games is what we'd expect. Worse performance in a PS4 version of a multiplatform must have a developer-based reason.

Welcome to PC gaming, soon you'll be referring to all developers as lazy devs tm.

Frillen

The game looks half-baked anyway. I'll most likely pick it up when it's $20 or lower, and most likely the PS4 version.

Ty4on

How do you think the FPS counter in the video is calculated? It's an average. There is no other way in the world of mathematics to discard all but a single frame and say this is the frame that dropped to 21.

That's why the PC world uses frame times.
c3-gtx-750.gif

c3-99th.gif

Dem pretty graphs.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm not want it but I don't understand what those microstattering did to keep the two version on par with different lower fps. Seem you are going too much beyond any tech logic. Keep in mind I'm just talking based to the article words.
I dont really know what you're not getting.

I'm thinking a lot of people here are unaware of what was said. Even in the OP, the major point about frame pacing was not highlighted, but the minor difference in framerate was, ignoring that frame pacing issues causes stutter that make a small framerate advantage unimportant.

It still dropped to 21 fps. Lower than the xbone ever does. All on superior hardware. Poor port? Well I think we could use the same excuse for previous xbone games cause xbone ain't that bad.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

The game is pushing more stuff on the PS4 due to the resolution and average framerate advantage, so it's not like the game turns everything on its head. Technically, it is performing better. The problem is that this does not translate into a significant real-world advantage due to the pacing issues and that weird texture filtering thing.

Wonder if they'll patch it. Can't really imagine that texture filtering would be a deliberate, necessary trade-off.

In any case, framerate problems of that magnitude are a shame.

omonimo

Banned
Pretty big dip that the xbox one never gets to in the video. In earlier DF articles when xbone dropped frames it was happy times here. Now PS4 drops below xbone it's now a "weird dip"???!!! I don't think I understand though- could you show me where the xbox one version drops as low as 21 fps? Cause for the superior hardware that's pretty damn shocking.

Oh my...How old are you? Out of my curiosity. I don't think a single frame prove anything, but you are free to believe what you want. If the article argue about the 25 drops on ps4 over the 20 fps on xbone, I suppose the journalist has tested this thing straightly. Come on, be serious for a second.

benny_a

Wonder if they'll patch it. Can't really imagine that texture filtering would be a deliberate, necessary trade-off.
Especially not because the PS4 has 72 TMUs an Xbone has 48. AFAIK TMU and its cache size are what are important for AF.

It still dropped to 21 fps. Lower than the xbone ever does. All on superior hardware. Poor port? Well I think we could use the same excuse for previous xbone games cause xbone ain't that bad.
The Tomb Raider Definitive Edition had the Xbone version drop to 18 FPS in their video analysis but they didn't use the 18 value in the article. People that are disagreeing with you are doing it based on the way DF operates, no matter who's behind. Put away the tinfoil hat and the stop believing in the existence of the NeoGAF anti-Microsoft Sony sponsored agenda.

Hail Cerny

It isn't as significant as what neogaf would like to think.

As for the reason you've given above, I was led to believe the xbone was far harder to develop for than the ps4...??? What did these guys do wrong then? Another win for the xbone. That's 2 in a row now.

omonimo

Banned
I dont really know what you're not getting.
I think what you said, it's not technically valid. I'm not sure how the ps4 version microstuttering could keep on par to the lower xbone dips, I'm talking of the general smoothness. I don't see how.

Pretty much.

That said this game is such an absolute shit-show on both platforms in every possible way...technically and creatively...it's going to be in the $10 bargain bin and $5 steam sale category very soon. It sort of cracks me up that a game this obviously sub-par has generated this much debate. I doubt anyone is going to be talking about this steaming pile of poo in 6 months except to lament spending real money on it and maybe show up on a few "worst game of the year/games i regret buying" lists.

To be fair, the WiiU Batman AC port had scenes where you were hanging from a building and the textures weren't loaded by that point. This is not the case in Thief. :p

Well yeah, the effect itself is still jarring though, regardless of it's duration. Like I said, UE3 is such a shit show.

omonimo

Banned

It's because xbone at the end it's a superior hardware. Gotcha. MS was right, balance for balance.

Top Bottom