• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

finalflame

I hope they finally make a good OS for once. Wii U OS was absolutely pathetic in its performance, and that's only performance. Visually it was just a disaster. Stupid little icons all over.

Man, you really seem angry about an OS. At least it has folders, which PS4 still doesn't have.

I think the WiiU OS was atrocious at launch, just unbearably slow, but it has greatly improved over the years. I can't really find any fault with it now. I can easily launch whatever I need right from the home screen...what else do you want in an OS?

JoeM86

I hope they finally make a good OS for once. Wii U OS was absolutely pathetic in its performance, and that's only performance. Visually it was just a disaster. Stupid little icons all over.

I dunno, I like the 3DS and Wii U OS's. They're just straight down to business saying "Here's your games and connections to other stuff, have fun". No extra fluff, no adverts, just access to your games. Sometimes the simplest is the best.

Beefy

Man, you really seem angry about an OS. At least it has folders, which PS4 still doesn't have.

I think the WiiU OS was atrocious at launch, just unbearably slow, but it has greatly improved over the years. I can't really find any fault with it now. I can easily launch whatever I need right from the home screen...what else do you want in an OS?

See I don't mind the PS4 OS.

I hope the NX can tempt me to buy a Nintendo console again.

Jumpman23

Yep, that is most in line with what Iwata stated in 2013 and 2014, even before he announced the NX codename.

7T2V9RL.png

This would echo the Apple ecosystem quite a bit. Regardless of hardware, you have access to all the software available. This would also allow for future hardware iterations to come on much quicker since you wouldn't be canabalizing the last gen with each new hardware refresh. Though, also like Apple, I could see newer features making their way in along with the beefier hardware.

If Nintendo goes this route, this could give them a considerable leg up going forward, IMO.

Yaari

I dunno, I like the 3DS and Wii U OS's. They're just straight down to business saying "Here's your games and connections to other stuff, have fun". No extra fluff, no adverts, just access to your games. Sometimes the simplest is the best.

I just really don't like the thing. I think its great for a handheld but for a console I just don't like it. If the X1 was bad, having to dig through all those tiles, then this is no better.

I understand people like it. I just really don't. Out of all the current consoles I dislike this one the most.

I'll still get that thing though. It won't stop me from buying it. Just hoping they do it differently.

Pokemaniac

It's pretty good now, bit there's still some UX weirdness that they really need to iron out. Really the ideal design would take the best bits from Wii U and 3DS.

If this system is going to make next year, it's about a year from release. I should hope there are a number of devs with some info and dev kits already. Otherwise it'll be the same old shit again (which I'm expecting it to be).

Galafar

Neo Member

I'd prefer if the Wii U went the 3DS route at least and give you the option to make it all sparkly and how you like it. As much flak as Nintendo Badge Center got here I personally see no problem with it. I've actively used it every day since downloading it and have gotten tons of use out of it and have yet to spend a single dime on plays.

The 3DS is fine, essentially, but the Wii U is just sterile and has no life to it. Very un-Nintendo-like. I suppose it doesn't matter in the long run as I prefer it to the 3DS anyway in regards to games but still.

antonz

2nd Report from Digitimes on NX that has specified a roughly mid 2016 release date. Considering the first report of this was back in July and still hearing the same thing now a day away from December there must be something to it.

Pokemaniac

If this system is going to make next year, it's about a year from release. I should hope there are a number of devs with some info and dev kits already. Otherwise it'll be the same old shit again (which I'm expecting it to be).

The Wall Street Journal claimed that kits were being sent out months ago. Higher profile third parties likely had more experimental kits earlier than that.

Shiggy

This would echo the Apple ecosystem quite a bit. Regardless of hardware, you have access to all the software available. This would also allow for future hardware iterations to come on much quicker since you wouldn't be canabalizing the last gen with each new hardware refresh. Though, also like Apple, I could see newer features making their way in along with the beefier hardware.

If Nintendo goes this route, this could give them a considerable leg up going forward, IMO.

Consumers are probably not willing to buy new consoles every two years. They aren't even willing to buy Nintendo consoles every 5 years apparently. Software developers are then unlikely to build software for the new device. You already see this with the new 3DS.

lt519

It's probably launching with Zelda, Mario and Pikmin. They won't screw up the launch line-up again. There will be millions of people ready to jump in for just those three even if the system never released another game.

2nd Report from Digitimes on NX that has specified a roughly mid 2016 release date. Considering the first report of this was back in July and still hearing the same thing now a day away from December there must be something to it.

Again, the definition of "Q1" and "Q2" is ambiguous in the report because Nintendo is a Japanese company and their fiscal year starts in April.

Q1 2016 could mean the end of June 2016, and Q2 2016 could mean the end of September 2016.

This would orient the console for a November 2016 launch.

AniHawk

Has it been confirmed that they are launching both simultaneously?

I'm also curious to see how shared the library stuff works. Same game on two different formats, or the same format on two different systems?

it hasn't been confirmed, but it would be the best demonstration of the main gimmick of nx if they did.

If they did, then probably only Japanese devs outside their own Western devs at least. Which will amount to...not a whole lot for people in the West most likely. But either way, I'm expecting droughts out the ass as per usual, yeah.

Yaari

I honestly wonder when they will start marketing and revealing this thing. Surely people need a pretty damn good reason to pick it up if they already have a console.

antonz

Again, the definition of "Q1" and "Q2" is ambiguous in the report because Nintendo is a Japanese company and their fiscal year starts in April.

Q1 2016 could mean the end of June 2016, and Q2 2016 could mean the end of September 2016.

This would orient the console for a November 2016 launch.

The first report had stated they were aiming for July 2016 launch. I am in the Fall 2016 camp myself but they seem to be sticking to the earlier in 2016

StevieP

Banned
The first report had stated they were aiming for July 2016 launch. I am in the Fall 2016 camp myself but they seem to be sticking to the earlier in 2016

They have to amass the consoles months before they launch the product. That's why hardware is pretty much finalized now, short of little things like ram upgrades or clock speeds

Pokemaniac

I honestly wonder when they will start marketing and revealing this thing. Surely people need a pretty damn good reason to pick it up if they already have a console.

They've been petty clear that they won't say anything until next year.

The first report also stated that they were going to start producing the units at the end of June 2016, which would match up to the "Q1 = by end of June, Q2 = by end of September" logic.

It is possible that some facets of the first report are true (like a late June manufacturing date) while others are misguided (like a July release).

If you look at Nintendo as a company they thrive during the Holiday season. They have released their past three home consoles to capitalize on it. So I find it a bit ludicrous to think that the Nintendo NX would launch in a random off-season month like July instead of a proper launch in November.

The Wall Street Journal claimed that kits were being sent out months ago. Higher profile third parties likely had more experimental kits earlier than that.
Ah yes, I remember that now. Get ready for Unprecedented Partnership 2.

It's probably launching with Zelda, Mario and Pikmin. They won't screw up the launch line-up again. There will be millions of people ready to jump in for just those three even if the system never released another game.
I don't think so. Nintendo has been doing its hardest to alienate the core base of followers, which has been getting smaller each generation.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Consumers are probably not willing to buy new consoles every two years. They aren't even willing to buy Nintendo consoles every 5 years apparently. Software developers are then unlikely to build software for the new device. You already see this with the new 3DS.

I don't think it's as much to force a new iteration of hardware every few years as it is to solve transition problems caused by Nintendo entering a generation in mid stream. We probably wont see the second generation of NX hardware until Sony and Microsoft launch their next generation. Then everyone will theoretically be on the same page.

(and then hopefully NX1 Home software becomes NX2 Away software and things made specifically for NX2 Away can still be played on NX1 Home)

(oh, and NX2 Home will have the combined output of NX1 Home and Away, NX2 Away and whatever software they can get third parties to port from XBoxTWO and PS5)

It would be a pretty elegant solution if they can make it work.

Anth0ny

A July console launch would be really weird.

the only way I can see it is if they stagger the release of the handheld and console. Handheld launches in the Summer, console launches in November.

woen

I have a feeling at E3. Then a fall release maybe.

If they have lots of things to show, they could create a media event in march-april-may to reveal (more of a teasing though) and they focus more on games etc. at E3. First focus on the concept, philosophy, what is means, how it works, what I could do with this ; then what games I'll play, get some hype, megatons and win E3.

Then Gamescom and Paris Games Week for the consumers to try what they understood and the games that hyped them. And release at the end of the year, at least for one device if there are two of them.

I guess this'll avoid what happens with Wii U and 3DS : people didn't fully understood first during E3 media event, then it killed Nintendo's PR for a few test (which means the show floor demos.)

A July console launch would be really weird.

the only way I can see it is if they stagger the release of the handheld and console. Handheld launches in the Summer, console launches in November.
Has there been news thats confirmed its a handheld/home system that I missed?

Sorc3r3r

The same people N is selling its console over and over again, the problem is that their market is shrinking fast, the home one is almost vanished and is clear that N ips alone cannot sustain the competition.

People just know that a Nintendo console will have very limited 3rd party support, it's an awful situation, a sentence of failure pending on future of the console from the very beginning.

Seems to me that this unified os thingy is just a patch for a huge issue N isn't able to resolve.

guek

Banned

This thing better launch with Retro's new game or heads will roll

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I love Nintendo operating systems, they are extremely to-the-point, like you said. And great little UI niceties and music, pretty neat and gamey feel all-around.

What I just cannot abide these days though is their performance. That I have to wait 20 seconds to load the settings app is unacceptable. That I have to wait 20 seconds (or triple that on 3DS) to open Miiverse and connect to the network is unacceptable, I should be able to pull a blade over the game to make a post in less than a second. As-is, I just never take screenshots. HOW much time every time I want one? Lawd!

Tighten this shit up on NX Nintendo, I know you know this sucks, you've always put so much emphasis on "quick to launch" for cold boots, this is all in the same wheelhouse.

woen

Sucks for everyone that just bought a Wii U this weekend.

It's a great time to buy a Wii U because you have a relatively small games library but a dozens of great games that could interest you, at a small price.

I doubt NX will have that before 2018, even if they have a good line-up.

Jumpman23

In the past that statement would ring true but Apple has changed the game in the cellphone space much in the way I think Nintendo could do the same in the gaming console space. Keep in mind, consumers were largely starting over in a new eco system when purchasing a new piece of hardware. Going forward, purchasing the newer device still means you get to keep/play everything you have already invested in.

JoeM86

I love Nintendo operating systems, they are extremely to-the-point, like you said. And great little UI niceties and music, pretty neat and gamey feel all-around.

What I just cannot abide these days though is their performance. That I have to wait 20 seconds to load the settings app is unacceptable. That I have to wait 20 seconds (or triple that on 3DS) to open Miiverse and connect to the network is unacceptable, I should be able to pull a blade over the game to make a post in less than a second. As-is, I just never take screenshots. HOW much time every time I want one? Lawd!

Tighten this shit up on NX Nintendo, I know you know this sucks, you've always put so much emphasis on "quick to launch" for cold boots, this is all in the same wheelhouse.

Yeah I get that. My issue is somewhat akin to that. It's semi-settings related.

Basically, I want it to, if it doesn't detect the default connection for it to go to the next one.

I have my Wii U LAN Adapter, but due to convenience and finite amount of cables and ports on my switch, it shares a cable with my laptop (which is often wired up on my desk). As such, I only really connect the LAN Adapter when I'm going to play something like Smash or Splatoon. If I left the LAN Adapter as default and try to go online without it plugged in, it just acts like there's no connection rather than attempt to connect to the wireless. It seems somewhat backwards. So, I have to go through System Settings to fiddle about with that every time.

So yeah, I'd like them to fix that (unless I totally missed something)

Roo

nope, just speculation. Hard to believe they intend to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016 if it's only a console or only a handheld, though. Both combined? That's doable.

Yup. That number is most likely for both platforms.
I mean, Aren't they still sitting on launch Wii U units? One would think Nintendo'd be more cautious about their forecast.

Whatever the NX ends up being, you can be damn sure it will be using Amiibos more aggressively.

I think they will go all digital for NX, despite pissing off lots of people in the process. They'll stick with it like they did with cartridges on N64, marketing it as convenience for the consumer. Gotta clear out that shelf space for Amiibos 2.0.

Hopefully I am wrong on this...

Koozek

When people talk about a hybrid console it doesnt mean a single piece of equipment. The Wii U for example isnt a single piece of equipment. When most people talk about the NX being a hybrid its in the sense you have a base console to "dock" with and the controller being portable. Think Wii U but instead of the tablet something more akin to a 3DS or Vita.

That's not what people meant by “hybrid“ in NX threads in the last months, though. How is what you described different than two different NX devices, a handheld and a console, which can be used together for Off-TV Play like the Wii U and also share a majority of their library due to an iOS/Android-like OS? A hybrid would be like the Wii U Gamepad with the console integrated in the handheld. Which would be plain stupid.

Davey Cakes

Auto-connecting to Wi-Fi isn't currently a thing with Wii U or 3DS, right?

That definitely has to be something, going forward.

It's annoying how you have to change and test the connection any time you bring your Wii U to another person's house and use the internet.

I will say I like the OS in many ways there's plenty of room for improvement in terms of optional features and performance.

lo zaffo

Today I'm utterly pessimistic. If Nintendo'll release both Nx home and Nx portable together surely they will do with only Nx portable software line-up. And this is best scenario I can foresee. It is impossible for Nintendo do feed both platforms. Nx home have to live heavily relaying on Wii U re-releases and crossplay of Nx portable. Hell, I think slow Nintendo will struggle to respect mobile Android/iOs DeNa 5 releases in 2016, let alone a modern home console. Forget about QOL thing. Wii U showed well to be a risky gamble, Smash Brothers U and Xenoblade Cross and FE# were huge risky investments, what hand will greenlit it again? Let's go all in with Nx portable.

Top Bottom